test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Way To Improve The STF Pug Problems

john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
After doing 3 STFs in a row where new people who obviously didn't know the strategies managed to TRIBBLE things up i have a simple proposal that would at least help to mitigate the problem.

With the new season 6 fleet action events they all include a 15-60 second pause at the beginning, a time to review the briefing if needed and discuss with your team who will do what. If a 45-60 second pause was added at the beginning of each STF that would give the veteran players who know the correct strategies to win a chance to brief the new people before things get crazy and no one is paying attention to there chat window.

No this would not fix the problem 100%, some people would still refuse to use the chat window or follow the plan, but its a simple change that would improve things over the current situation.
Post edited by john98837 on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, this would improve it a little bit but like you said as long as pugs exist there's always going to be the person who blows the generator early in Infected space.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    and the people with chat disabled
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They need to delete all the popup mission spam, and sub it with flyby text and voiceovers, that + the pre-start timer would go along way towards making the STFs much more accessible.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,010 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have had players (on occasion) play Infected Space and purposely wreck it for the rest of the existing team. And when they have wrecked it they leave. But what can we do some people are like that. But I think for those players that are new to the STF missions knowing exactly what to do and how to do it more experienced players should show some liency. Come on guys at the end of the day it is only a game. Yes it would be great that we complete the STF missions properly everytime but sometimes it just won't be possible. As the saying goes. There's always a next time.
  • Options
    jounar1701jounar1701 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    john98837 wrote: »
    After doing 3 STFs in a row where new people who obviously didn't know the strategies managed to TRIBBLE things up i have a simple proposal that would at least help to mitigate the problem.

With the new season 6 fleet action events they all include a 15-60 second pause at the beginning, a time to review the briefing if needed and discuss with your team who will do what. If a 45-60 second pause was added at the beginning of each STF that would give the veteran players who know the correct strategies to win a chance to brief the new people before things get crazy and no one is paying attention to there chat window.

No this would not fix the problem 100%, some people would still refuse to use the chat window or follow the plan, but its a simple change that would improve things over the current situation.

The problem is not so much players who don't know what to do but more a case of players who refuse to listen, refuse to use team chat or respond to team chat or private messages. Your solution will do nothing to fix this real issue.

A much better system would be that you never get put into a STF or any other group mission with people on your ignore list.
  • Options
    dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited July 2012
    jounar1701 wrote: »
    The problem is not so much players who don't know what to do but more a case of players who refuse to listen, refuse to use team chat or respond to team chat or private messages. Your solution will do nothing to fix this real issue.

A much better system would be that you never get put into a STF or any other group mission with people on your ignore list.

Excellent idea. If this were implemented, within a month all the as*hats and trolls would have no one to play with but each other :D
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I feel your pain why I stoped runing them now i am waiting for the stf store update to hit

i recomend work on starbase there is better gear in there

what is in stf store there is advanced gear better than stf store
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Jean-Luc Picard [Peak Performance]
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    defcon1776 wrote: »
    "It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Jean-Luc Picard [Peak Performance]

Except that a cometant team using all mk 10 standard stuff and no sets but a good BO lay layout can beat one in 10 minutes. The only way to lose is via incompetance (rainbow boats) or trolling.
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • Options
    jounar1701jounar1701 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dood98998 wrote: »
    Except that a cometant team using all mk 10 standard stuff and no sets but a good BO lay layout can beat one in 10 minutes. The only way to lose is via incompetance (rainbow boats) or trolling.

+1

If you get stuck with members of the German Borg Elite fleet who go out of their way to blow optional's and mess up the mission the rest of the team is just screwed.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    rewards should be based on performance. someone like a AFK'er would get nothing. the guy that did the most damage would get the best drops and the middle players would get rewarded accordingly.
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2012

touche' :o
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    rdm1958 wrote: »
    rewards should be based on performance. someone like a AFK'er would get nothing. the guy that did the most damage would get the best drops and the middle players would get rewarded accordingly.

Don't forget to factor in healing, damage taken (all positive) and deaths (negative). Also, objectives (probes in KASE, for example) should also have a big effect.
  • Options
    jeykooljeykool Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You guys are such cry babies about stfs. If you dont like pugs dont play in pugs. If you like the way somebody plays pm them, put them on your friends list and try to play with them in the future. Join their fleet or have them join yours. Why do you need devs to waste their valuable time automating a process that you are entirly able to do yourself.
    There is nothing more annoying than some jerk telling every body what to do, waisting time typing, and right or wrong dictating tactics. Suck it up, use your tools, be a big boy.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    jeykool wrote: »
    You guys are such cry babies about stfs. If you dont like pugs dont play in pugs. If you like the way somebody plays pm them, put them on your friends list and try to play with them in the future. Join their fleet or have them join yours. Why do you need devs to waste their valuable time automating a process that you are entirly able to do yourself.
    There is nothing more annoying than some jerk telling every body what to do, waisting time typing, and right or wrong dictating tactics. Suck it up, use your tools, be a big boy.

Troll? I think so. Say so if you guys agree.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, im trollin your nerdrage post. This is where it belongs too, not in the middle of an stf like im constantly seeing in game. Use the friend system and fleets to do stfs with players that meet your standards and quit flying off in one direction for 50 km while your leeting your "strategy" in the middle of an stf.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, im trollin your nerdrage post. This is where it belongs too, not in the middle of an stf like im constantly seeing in game. Use the friend system and fleets to do stfs with players that meet your standards and quit flying off in one direction for 50 km while your leeting your "strategy" in the middle of an stf.

There are three kinds of people in an STF: the kind that are competant enough to pull their own weight, 'noobs' (rainbows, anyone?) And the kind you just mentioned. I hope I fall into the first category, but I definately am not the third kind. You sound like one of those guys who says 'jeez, if you don't like pugs don't pug' well, answer me this: how do I play STF's when 99% of the people who play them PUG? The proposal on this thread would require minimal effort on PW's part, and would have a positive effect on the STF hell we go through nowadays.
  • Options
    plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just go Facebook style and give us a "like" or "dislike" button for each player at the end of the match.

Then pair us more frequently with team members we "like," and avoid teaming those we "dislike."

...works for me.
  • Options
    pinkpower2012pinkpower2012 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    john98837 wrote: »

Well Thank you very much for that. I assume you're the one who's responsible for the long and very boring wait at the start of each mission?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Well Thank you very much for that. I assume you're the one who's responsible for the long and very boring wait at the start of each mission?

Better a 60 second boring wait than wasting 10-20 minutes on a mission just to have someone with no idea what they are doing blow the optional and in some cases cause you to loose the mission outright, wouldn't you agree.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Being someone who knows a thing about programming if you think adding a 60 second pause at the beginning of a mission would take more than an hour of time you are a moron. That has to be one of the simplest updates they could possibly do to a mission.

Secondly what exactly do see that is wrong with a short period at the beginning to see if everyone knows wtf they are doing, and if someone doesn't to fill them in so they don't waste 10-20 minutes of everyones time, and then leave you waiting 60 minutes before you can try again and hope for a better team. I do not see a downside to this.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    rdm1958 wrote: »

Don't forget to factor in healing, damage taken (all positive) and deaths (negative). Also, objectives (probes in KASE, for example) should also have a big effect.

john98837, implement these with a few lines of code... Your not the only one who can program, Neo.
    jounar1701 wrote: »

The problem is that people like this guy think they know anything about what is going on. There are several valid ways of completing any stf. If you want to be a leader, don't bark orders at people. The second that happens you go on the ignore list. Look at what your pug is doing and help however you can.
    There are three kinds of people in an STF: the kind that are competant enough to pull their own weight, 'noobs' (rainbows, anyone?) And the kind you just mentioned. I hope I fall into the first category, but I definately am not the third kind. You sound like one of those guys who says 'jeez, if you don't like pugs don't pug' well, answer me this: how do I play STF's when 99% of the people who play them PUG? The proposal on this thread would require minimal effort on PW's part, and would have a positive effect on the STF hell we go through nowadays.

It takes minimal effort to friend people with similar play styles and try to fly stfs with them. What happens when your ideas balloon the queue times from 1 to 3 minutes to 15 or 20 because people like you can't deal with flying with pugs. Jeez, if you don't like pugs don't pug. Or at least pug until you find people you like to fly with.

I got MkXI MACO and Omega sets and a full compliment of MkXI weapons for my ship in pugs. I never had to tell anybody what to do. It took about two months of casual play. That doesn't seem broken. I'm using my friends list and fleet mates to try to get my MkXII's. I know that there is no way in hell that's going to happen in a pug.

The OP here isn't invalid. It wouldn't take much effort to add animated mission briefings with voice. The waits would get annoying, but the success rates would go up so in the end the net aggravation would not change. But this idea that 'you' are some sto Nimitz is bs. You may think your pulling your weight, but if your busy typing during a fight, how much good are you really doing? Let people fly their stf, eff it up, and get better. Somebody let you.