test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you accept generic ship interior missions?

2»

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    But that's pretty much what they are doing now. All of our ship interiors have someone else's ship. I don't see how that changes anything.

I know people want things to do on their ships. I'm not one of them. I want to go where no one has gone before, not go where no one has gone within the last twenty minutes.

For my taste, I prefer they build new maps rather than recycle old ones.

Because it would be accessible from your own ship if you're using that interior.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    But that's pretty much what they are doing now. All of our ship interiors have someone else's ship. I don't see how that changes anything.

I know people want things to do on their ships. I'm not one of them. I want to go where no one has gone before, not go where no one has gone within the last twenty minutes.

I couldn't disagree more. I want a place where the action happens.

I don't want the rhetoric of Star Trek. I want something that reflects episodes of the television show, oddities, foibles, and limitations included.

The action took place on the ships or sound stages. I want action on ship interiors and sound stages, well designed sets that serve a purpose and get re-dressed.

Sweeping alien vistas belong in Star Wars... and maybe the J.J.-verse. And I love Star Wars and the J.J.--verse but what I want here is a representation of TV budget sci-fi.
  • admiralsteeleadmiralsteele Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    since the only activity that would make sense with interiors that are that ridiculously out of scale would be an indoor football match, i don't care about interior missions. the only interiors in STO that look nearly "trek" are the belfast and the TOS interior. the rest of the ships interior designs is ugly as f*** and look like they have been designed by a 5 year old with a textmarker. (not to mention the smurf-lcars)
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think it could be done, just not with your chosen interior. There are other decks of the ship that you don't see, and there are quite a few doors that you can't get into. You could have missions inside those doors, or an entire deck could be created where you conduct missions given from another source. Such as if you visit your bridge interior one of your bridge officers reports a problem in one of the decks and you have to go check it out.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Besides the bridges, aren't there only 3 interior styles, and technically, 5 layouts?

Flag certain consoles as speciifc types , and use the flags. Sounds pretty simple to me.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2012

In the context of missions on your ship, I see your point (though I too think it would be fun and immersive to have shipboard missions). Having to write the same mission 40 times to facilitate every bridge is probably not reasonable.

With regard to the gameworld in general, I disagree heartily. That type of thinking is part of why it's so difficult for them to generate new storyline content. If they have to create totally new assets every time they make a new mission, it will limit their ability to create new content in the extreme.

Having a map only serve for one mission and never used again is exceptionally wasteful from a resource and storytelling standpoint. For special missions, Feature Episodes, and other specific uses I can see that. But for regular episode arcs, there is no reason at all why new stories can't be told on existing maps, especially considering the hundreds of available exterior and interior maps and possible map combinations.
  • philo5oraptorphilo5oraptor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    if it means having some real missions on my ships i'd be ok with it.
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Its a real shame the developers didnt have the foresight to prevent this problem from happening in the first place.