test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposal Regarding Elite STF Pug Hell

cruciasnzcruciasnz Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Hey guys,

Forgive me if this has been said before, but forum searched failed.

Anyway, we probably all know the pain of going into an elite STF either solo, or in a small group, and suffering PUGs who have no idea how to play the STF even on normal. Sometimes you can walk them through it, but most don't talk so can never learn.

I would like to propose Cryptic consider making an Accolade for each STF on normal mode that unlocks the Elite version. Say, you have to complete it 10 times on Normal before you are able to queue for Elite.

I would also suggest that you can bypass this requirement by joining a private game, and completing it on Elite in a private group also unlocks it. This would allow veteran players on new alts to bypass this restriction, while protecting the rest of us from hell.
Post edited by cruciasnz on

Comments

• captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's been suggested time after time much like my idea for rezzing in space rather like in ground combat.
    But will it ever be implemented? nah.

As for the bypass I think that eventually it would lead to everyone doing them in private to bypass it including the idiots. Perhaps reducing it to maybe 3 successful elite private runs instead of just 1 to unlock would be a better idea?
    I need a beer.

• aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They could start by adding a mandatory pre-STF space and ground mission, which awards MK10 tech and allows BOFFs to join you. A mission which goes through all the mechanics of STFs, inc. Boss fights, and explains everything.

That would go along way for a start, plus give the people whom want to STF with BOFFs the option for it.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aexrael wrote: »
    They could start by adding a mandatory pre-STF space and ground mission, which awards MK10 tech and allows BOFFs to join you. A mission which goes through all the mechanics of STFs, inc. Boss fights, and explains everything.

They couldn't even get a tutorial for the mining event and some decent docs for the starbases.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cruciasnz wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Forgive me if this has been said before, but forum searched failed.

Anyway, we probably all know the pain of going into an elite STF either solo, or in a small group, and suffering PUGs who have no idea how to play the STF even on normal. Sometimes you can walk them through it, but most don't talk so can never learn.

I would like to propose Cryptic consider making an Accolade for each STF on normal mode that unlocks the Elite version. Say, you have to complete it 10 times on Normal before you are able to queue for Elite.

I would also suggest that you can bypass this requirement by joining a private game, and completing it on Elite in a private group also unlocks it. This would allow veteran players on new alts to bypass this restriction, while protecting the rest of us from hell.

Ya know, while we are complaining and offering locks to keep noobs out of stuff, I have a further proposal. As bad as "noobs" are in STF at times, there is one thing that is even worse... QUITTERS. You have a 1 hour penalty for those who bail at the drop of a hat. Bump it up to a day. The optional farmers (which totally boggles my mind because the rewards are garbage) are the worst of the lot. Quit because you didn't get a Rare MK X Bat'leth? I'll buy you one from the exchange if you stay and finish the instance! I would much rather be stuck in pug hell with people who haven't learned yet TRY than be stuck with 3 people in the group and no way for ME to quit without getting a penalty because others quit.

And about talking. There is a big issue there because many of the players seem to be German and French. I'm American. I dunno about the rest of you Americans, but I don't know a word of French or German to be able to talk about strategy unless they know English. I have learned "Help me!" but that doesn't get the instance done. It's pretty apparent when they are crumpled on the floor that they are dead without knowing what they are saying.

So yeah, if you ever decide to punish noobs for not knowing how yet, punish the ones who do know better even harder for being quitters. Give them a day to cool down for quitting. Maybe a week. Or a month. Just make quitting painful so they stop doing it!
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have a better solution: Find a Group

Any other suggestions made won't work the way you think they do.
    Increase barriers, people will find someone to lift them.

I do pugs 99% of the time, I like it, I live with it.
    It rarely gets annoying though; either I must be really lucky, or most players on the forums have really bad luck.
    Most of the times we finished the STF successful in less than 15 minutes, rest it justs took longer (no optionals, couldn't care less), but it has been weeks (or even months) I really had a superbad pug. Having "bad" pugs is the price for pugging.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Ya know, while we are complaining and offering locks to keep noobs out of stuff, I have a further proposal. As bad as "noobs" are in STF at times, there is one thing that is even worse... QUITTERS. You have a 1 hour penalty for those who bail at the drop of a hat. Bump it up to a day.

I disagree strongly with you on this one simply because it's insane. Your connection goes down for 20mins? Here, have a day in the sin bin on us! It's not fair if your connection dies or you get DC'd by the server which happens from time to time especially at times of heavy server load.

*SNIP*

I wish that there were different instances of the game for each language rather than lump them all in one as they do now.
    So yeah, if you ever decide to punish noobs for not knowing how yet, punish the ones who do know better even harder for being quitters. Give them a day to cool down for quitting. Maybe a week. Or a month. Just make quitting painful so they stop doing it!

No. Just no. Same reason as before.

Trolls are the biggest problem in STFs. Guys who take light cruisers or shuttles into CSE or equip a dreadnought with nothing but mk ii gear so they troll by stealth. Gals who decide to go off in a huff when you ask them not to pop the cube early as even worse.
    I need a beer.

• jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Quite right. Most of the french I have run into know enough english to get by, but the worst ones from my point of view are ze Germans and eastern europeans. Few seem to speak english or perhaps they do and the just don't want to reply.
    Good thing I'm Central-European :) You know what? I have this Klingon toon which has almost all parts of STF space sets. One thing I don't have is the Omega Force engine. So I try doing CSE. I don't have a lot of time this month so I play Cure just once a day with this character. Imagine I finished only ONE (!) CSE this week. Every time there's an idiot who destroys the cube despite clear instructions not to do so. When that happens, the rest of the team is usually helpless.

You know what's funny? Today the killer of the cube spoke perfect English :P What is more - there's a lot of Americans writing things in the chat that no matter how hard I try, I'm unable to decipher them. Putting aside all instances of the word "hanger" on the forum when an individual means "hangar" :P
    edited July 2012
    *SNIP*

Oh boy, this is going to turn into a train wreck :(
    I need a beer.

• ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes I am a german player and yes I am a quitter and there is at times a reason to quit, rather then to endure the entire STF.

For examples with ISE is super simple and easy if players know what they are doing but especially on weekends I see people who go for the generators to destroy them without even trying to help with the cube first. People who split the team and run off to the wrong side and sometimes half the fleet in rainbow ships with the DPS of a wet towel.

KASE, same here, when you see half the fleet shooting rainbows, barely able to stop the probes even with 2 people defending on each side then you know what you are in.

CSE, you have people here that do not use any tactic besides: shoot everything and of course the rainbow ships that cannot be damned enough, the chickens that run to the other side of the map whenever they see a raptor or neg'var.

Personally I wish for a working ignore list, that never teams me up again with people I put on ignore. :mad:
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Now I do not want to offend anyone, but from my STF PUG experience, Germans are the most ignorant and rude players.

From my perspective, the simplest thing to solve this, would be that you can queue for elite STF, only if you reach the first accolade on that certain STF. That "makes sure" you understand the basics and how best the current scenario is done.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Now I do not want to offend anyone, but from my STF PUG experience, Germans are the most ignorant and rude players.

Nice troll but one 1/10 for attempt. Starfleet Dental would be proud of your racism.
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's not troll attempt. But it's pretty simple to recognize Germans. First majority of them cannot speak English and writes German in every channel, secondly they are usually in fleets with German names. So you can identify them easily. :o As I said, I do not want to offend anyone or generalize, just my personal PUG experience.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    people still play elite STF's ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tighclops1tighclops1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dalnar83 wrote:
    Nice troll but one 1/10 for attempt. Starfleet Dental would be proud of your racism.

I'm curious, what other fleets are acceptable to spread abhorrent falsehoods about?
  • tighclops1tighclops1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    fff double post
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I stopped counting how many times my STFs were ruined by some ignorant americans who spent more time on chat than on focusing on the mission objectives and yet you never see me raging about it on the forum. PUGs are always a gamble. If you don't like it, don't do it.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    From my experience in real life (YES, there is something like that!) Germans are one of the best English-speaking nations. Your description would however fit better with another nation having their language version of STO (I'm a cheeky monkey ;))
    ascaladar wrote: »
    Lol. What does it have to do with racism?