test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doff Passive ability perks useless!

bodgeupbodgeup Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Has anyone else noticed that some DOFF passive abilities are useless?

e.g. I have a Purple Con Officer DOFF whose passive ability is to reduce the cooldown of tac team by 8 secs, but i have Tac team 1 twice so i can alternate between them and i was under the impression that having that DOFF on active duty the cooldown on my tac teams would be reduced. But actually what happens is when u use tac team on BOFF 1 tac team on BOFF 2 automatically starts its cooldown at 15 secs and the Tac team on BOFF 1 which i just used then goes to a 30 sec cooldown. But when the DOFF ability kicks in it doesn't reduce the cooldown of tac team on BOFF 2 from 15 secs to 7 secs, it only reduces the cooldown for tac team on BOFF 1 from 30 secs to 22 secs. So this in fact is totally useless as i still have to wait at least 15 secs before i can use tac team again from BOFF 2. The passive ability perk from the DOFF only reduces the cooldown on the BOFF i just used. So the only time you can benefit from these perks is when you only use the BOFF ability once, but even that doesn't apply all the time.

e.g. I have ENG team on my engineering BOFF & i also have SCI team & feedback pulse on my Science BOFF. So I went and bought 2 purple DOFF's one reduced the cooldown for ENG team & the other DOFF reduced the SCI team cooldown. So in game I used my SCI team and its cooldown goes to 30 secs but if i use that i cannot use ENG team for 15 secs & also somehow these abilities are tied to feedback pulse? this also gets a 15 sec cooldown when using one of these abilities. So again i put my 2 purple DOFF's on active duty thinking they would allow me to use the ENG & SCI team abilities quicker, but again i found that the cooldown is only reduced for the BOFF ability just used which brings 30 secs to 22 secs, but again it doesnt help as i have to wait at least 15 secs before i can use one of the other 2 BOFF abilities that are tied to this BOFF ability.

So my question is, is this how it is supposed to work? would it not make better sense if the cooldown DOFF perks applied to the BOFF abilities that were tied to the ability in question? So if i use an ability it also reduces the cooldown for the other ability from 15 secs to 7 secs? Especially if i have the DOFF passive perk that applies to the other abilities its tied to? e.g. I have DOFF passive perk for ENG & SCI team so could the cooldown for SCI team be reduced from 15 secs to 7 secs when i use ENG team? I have the DOFF pass perks for the abilities in question.

what do people think? have others come across this same issue?

Thanks

Bodgeup@blondsta
44th fleet
Post edited by bodgeup on

Comments

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What you have is a shared cooldown, when you trigger one power, a second copy of it or similar powers go into a shared cooldown. It does make sense for the shared cooldown to work how it does, imagine in pvp if cruisers could spam engineering team 3 every 7 seconds.

The point of the Tac Team doff for example is that if you equip 2 purples and have a 16 cooldown, that reduces your tac team from a 30 second cooldown to pretty much a shared cooldown.

For ships with limited tac space this means you can use 1 tac team instead of 2, in my assault cruiser for example with 2 tac team doffs, I can free up another tactical slot for something other than a 2nd tac team. So instead of running Tac Team 1 twice and Beam Fire at Will, I can use 2 tac team doffs and run Tac Team, Beam Fire at Will and Torpedo Highyield for example without losing the ability to rotate tac team.
    What you have is a shared cooldown, when you trigger one power, a second copy of it or similar powers go into a shared cooldown. It does make sense for the shared cooldown to work how it does, imagine in pvp if cruisers could spam engineering team 3 every 7 seconds.

The point of the Tac Team doff for example is that if you equip 2 purples and have a 16 cooldown, that reduces your tac team from a 30 second cooldown to pretty much a shared cooldown.

For ships with limited tac space this means you can use 1 tac team instead of 2, in my assault cruiser for example with 2 tac team doffs, I can free up another tactical slot for something other than a 2nd tac team. So instead of running Tac Team 1 twice and Beam Fire at Will, I can use 2 tac team doffs and run Tac Team, Beam Fire at Will and Torpedo Highyield for example without losing the ability to rotate tac team.

:eek: defauls is smart :eek: defalus make things go boom :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bodgeupbodgeup Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah i see what you mean but i wish i new that before i spent a fortune on the purple DOFFs, also I noticed today that ENG team, SCI team, feedback pulse & TAC team are all tied together and have a shared cooldown! Thats a bit out of order! I got 5 abilities that have the same cooldown.

So if you try to go with a single type of an ability so you can make use of the DOFF cooldown perk, how do you know which Abilities share cooldowns with what other abilities? Is there anywhere that lists this so i can work out what abilities i should not use if i want to make use of these DOFF's.

Also isn't that why people buy these Purple DOFF's for these ridiculously high prices so they can fire off abilities quicker?

Also do the cooldown reduction perks stack?

Thanks for the advice.

bodgeup@blondsta
    44th fleet
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You should look at the STO wiki: http://www.stowiki.org/Bridge_officer_abilities
    You probably should have done that so you could understand the mechanics before you sink resources into things. :o
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Don't underestimate the importance of dropping a second TT with those doffs. Unless you're rolling around with three tac slots, 2 slots or less means those conn officers are ace. Rather than another TT you got multiple welcomed choices to replace it for DPS for either torps or beams. I would only ever take them off in favor of ultra rares.