test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Aegis Set outclassed

kaeajakaeaja Member Posts: 517 Arc User
Just WHY Cryptic? Why have you allowed a hard to make set get outclassed by everything else? Defensively its outclassed by the Reman Set for one.....and the Aegis is supposed to be a defensive set so why?
Post edited by kaeaja on

Comments

• Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kaeaja wrote: »
    Just WHY Cryptic? Why have you allowed a hard to make set get outclassed by everything else? Defensively its outclassed by the Reman Set for one.....and the Aegis is supposed to be a defensive set so why?

I'm a big fan of the AEGIS, and still use it for my non-STF ship (which is to say, my "main" ship as I don't STF often). However, I think it's fair that the AEGIS is "outclassed" by the others.

AEGIS can be made by anyone that cares to level crafting (not hard).

MACO, KHG, and MACO sets (can) take (most people) a very long time to get, through doing STFs over and over and over again.

Even the Reman Mk XII's take a long time to work for. It will take less time when The Vault 5-man gets added to the PvE queue, but still not as easy as crafting a set of AEGIS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Because it was added during Season 3 and the other sets are either limited-run items, grinds from STFs, &/or higher MK gear?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If I remember correctly the AEGIS set is considered to be MK X gear isn't it? It doesn't scale to MK XI at Vice Admiral level like it probably should.
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sparhawk wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the AEGIS set is considered to be MK X gear isn't it? It doesn't scale to MK XI at Vice Admiral level like it probably should.

It wasn't intended as scaling gear--partly due to the ease of acquiring it.

Purchasing materials off the exchange is a matter of a few matches of PVP or grinding a dozen star cluster sets (while scanning for all components) or some DOFF assignments.

End game STFs are much longer, challenging, and only present a chance of dropping the necessary components to complete their set.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Aegis is very easy to Craft, or buy of you want. The Reman set needs to be worked for in game. Also, just wait until crafting gets a revamp and more sets are added.
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm trying to understand the outrage and the multi-threads.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I dont care, its not smart programming to leave any Set Items in an outclassed position.
  • Options
    thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's only outclassed by endgame sets, also known as "the sets you get for completing the hardest content in the game". There's no 'poor programming' in that. It would have been bad if Aegis got outclassed by non-set items.

Apart from that, it's supposed to be a levelling set...have you seen people in WoW complain that they can't do endgame raids in heirloom sets?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Fine whatever, i just dont think its fair that the best defensive set items in the game (Aegis) should be getting outclassed defensively by the Reman Prototype, so go ahead and tell me im wrong as much as you want, that doesnt mean i am.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i never even thought it was that hard to get i got my full set of aegis for 700,000ec on the exchange only because i did not want to grind crafting skill
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Saying you are not wrong, doesn't mean you're right either.

Blue MkXI Reman is actually worse than Aegis for defensives (though reman is more shieldtanky and Aegis more about your hull from setbonusperspective), and those are the levels to compare.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    quiscustodietquiscustodiet Member Posts: 350
    edited July 2012
    Endgame sets are better than bought sets? Y'don't say.

The opposite would be silly. Who'd do endgame if you could just stroll the to exchange and buy the best gear? And how epic would that be?
    "How'd you acquire that awesome gear?"
    "Well, I grinded some EC, stepped to the exchange and showed it my determination. A few transactions later, the whole set was mine!"
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's the set you can get without doing anything, you get it in the exchange for next to nothing, it is a bridge to other better things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They need only change the aegis so that it has an innate 50% SHIELD resists to all energy weapon types and upon receiving damage it may add up to 40% more (3-set bonus)

The 2-set bonus could be a 50% kinetic resist to the hull that adds up as it takes kinetic damage.

Duration of the built-up damage should be 1 minute.

That would make it a truly kickass set. No offensive potential at all but -THE- best defensive set there is.
  • Options
    tanith1989tanith1989 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    maybe they should introduce a way to improve it through crafting i am a big fan of the Aegis set and think its a shame that i dont see it all that often anymore
    Ketan Merious
    Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
    Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
    We want an Odyssey variant give us it
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i thought the aegis set was not all that easy to get. i had to do a lot of searching for material. i like the aegis set and use it on my vulcan science ship and it does pretty well and it looks really good.
  • Options
    crypticvyper#7920 crypticvyper Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I bought my Aegis set for about 7 mil EC on the exchange.

I'm still trying to catch the Vault shuttle event so I can get enough Reman Datalogs to craft my first reman set.. not counting what I need to grind to make the next two sets higher.

The crafting is far easier than grinding Vault missions in order to make a Reman Set.

and STF is random luck to get the Omega or MACO set.. I'm trying to get the Omega set.. 265 STF elites and only have gotten the MK XII Deflector for the Omega set.

So which is harder.. go to exchange and buy mats and craft the Aegis set or grind hundreds of missions in order to manufacture / luck out on a set?

STO Forum Account Creation Date: June 9, 2008 (Perpetual Entertainment at the time)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pestalence_XC
    Proud member of Xenocorp

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." - Kyle Reese, 'Terminator'
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    talk about disappointment. i got both the omega and maco 12 sets. they are TRIBBLE alone. the only thing worth having is the level 12 maco shields with 3 piece borg set. i think the reman set is going to be great, but the vault grind is getting old. still need datalogs......

grinding the vault is the hardest imho.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I
    So which is harder.. go to exchange and buy mats and craft the Aegis set or grind hundreds of missions in order to manufacture / luck out on a set?

And then you look up all the Sets and see:
    1 Episode Mission and 15 EDCs net you a better "set"
    Add 15/35 EDCs (or lucky drop) for Maco Shield X/XI if you prefer

Quite disappointing :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    utioutio Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's the nature of an mmo to always entice players with shiny new things. Keeps us playing. There will be a better model of alot of things brought out at some point. Best get used to it, as there is no "100% complete" in mmos.
  • Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hopefully they will add some way to improve the set, either more crafting or doff assignments.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Good idea. The current set could be regarded as "Mk X Blue" quality, and a set of DOFF missions to upgrade it to "Mk XI/XII Purple" quality at some future point would be good (maybe Mk XI be the result for regular success and XII be for critical success).
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012
    The best set is still the borg set with what ever shield you fancy...

I do agree though, that it would be nice if the Aegis set got an update. Maybe faster warp function would make it more worth using..
    Yes technically its the only set that does not require much to get, but it was supposed to be based on Undine tech, so why not make it better and put it in the edc store with the borg set..
  • Options
    crypticvyper#7920 crypticvyper Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thoroon wrote: »
    Exchange 5 EDCs for Maco Shield if you like (except MKXII quite easy to obtain).

Um.. Apparently you don't do STF's

20 Ecrypted Data Chips for 1 MK X MACO or Omega item = 30 Elite missions or 60 normal missions to get either the MACO or Omega set MK X

40 Encrypted Data Chips for 1 MK XI MACO or Omega item = 60 Elite Missions or 120 normal missions for a full MACO or Omega set Mk XI

Random number of missions in each of the 3 Elite space STF's in order to get the Prototype drop for shield, engine, or deflector and even then only 1 type drops in a specific mission, thus making it very difficult to obtain and in many many cases requires lots of grinding of 1 specific STF mission in order to get that certain drop.

Now the Borg set is only 5 EDC for each piece sans the universal console mission reward = 16 normal missions or 9 elite missions, but the Borg set is not as good as the Aegis set IMHO.

Now the Reman set requires grinding at certain times that the Vault event is available and requires lots of grinding to get a full set and then grind upgrade it and then grind upgrade it again.

The issue is this.. Aegis set is equivalent to Mk X purple, so should not be as good as Purple MK XI and MK XII MACO, Omega, Breen, Jem 'Hadar or Reman sets.. they should be on par with the Borg set, the MK X MACO, MK X Omega, MK X Breen, MK X Jem 'Hadar and MK X Reman sets (Though in most cases the Aegis is equivalent or better in this range and a match for most MK XI sets as well).

Jem "Hadar and Breen sets can only reach MK XI level so should not be as good as the Omega and MACO MK XII sets but slightly better than the Aegis set (though in actuality the Aegis is much better), however the MK XII Reman set should be equivalent to the MK XII MACO and Omega sets due to the massive amount of grind needed to obtain them and as such better than the Aegis set.

STO Forum Account Creation Date: June 9, 2008 (Perpetual Entertainment at the time)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pestalence_XC
    Proud member of Xenocorp

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." - Kyle Reese, 'Terminator'
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Even worse, also totally outdated and obsolete are:
    • Very Rare Shield Array
    • Very Rare Covariant Shield Array
    • Very Rare Regenerate Shield Array
    • Very Rare Resilient Shield Array
    • Very Rare Impulse Engine
    • Very Rare Combat Impulse Engine
    • Very Rare Hyper-Impulse Engine
    And let's not talk about Deflectors. (mostly because I forgot all their variants).

All obsolete thanks to sets items that are not just very rare with unique modes often better than what you can normally found on such shields, if you combine items from a set, you get additional powers and benefits!

I am not against set, but I would have expected that they would introduce a balanced choice between very rare, individual items, and set items. Sacrifice a bit of a mod to get a special ability you couldn't otherwise get.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The crafting is entirly useless.
    Better gear drops as loot from STFs.
    It needs an overhaul, which Cryptic will never do.
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thoroon wrote: »
    Exchange 5 EDCs for Maco Shield if you like (except MKXII quite easy to obtain).

You have your info wrong, the borg set is 15 edc plus the episode for the console, Maco and Omega mark XI are 40 edc or the ultra rare drop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i carnt belive that people are crying that an outdated set is outdated DUH. why should a old set be as good as the new ones. no point in crying on forums beacuse something old is old
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yaddayadda, forgot some words ... :mad:

Fixed it ... kill the terminator ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I agree with the OP. The borg set is vastly supiriour to the AEGIS and vastly easier to aquire, beetween saving my dilithium for CP's and not being a 1,000 day vet with oodles of money to blow in the exchange getting the set is no small matter, and i can MUCH more easilly aquire a better alternative than i can the dilithium or money.

I've actually started laying out some set idea's in a document that i'm going to post, and one of those is a "AEGIS 2" set.

Part of the issue is that the borg set is too strong IMHO. It's set bonusus outclass everything else by so much there's not a lot of contest. Especially at 3 peices.