test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

level cap increase?

gt86gt86 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
Does anyone have any idea when we will get a level cap increase. I was hoping we would get a 5-10 level cap increase with Season 6 but haven't read or heard anything about that from any of the Dev's or pod casts. This game really needs a big time level cap increase sinceyou can reach Level 50 so easily and quickly.
Post edited by gt86 on

Comments

• Options
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Without a major content update there really isnt any point in increasing the level cap. That said, they told us that S7 is supposed to be focused on content, so maybe we can see a small increase then.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Without a major content update there really isnt any point in increasing the level cap. That said, they told us that S7 is supposed to be focused on content, so maybe we can see a small increase then.

I saw recent thread that I think had some info from Geko saying no level increase, but a rank one somehow. It might have been from one of the radio shows. Anyone else recall the thread?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why do we need a level cap increase?

What can you do at Level 60, that you can't do at Level 50? And without a massive content update to go alongside the level cap increase, an increase is meaningless. Once you reach the new cap, you end up having NOTHING TO DO.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    ussmysticoneussmysticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »

What can you do at Level 60, that you can't do at Level 50? And without a massive content update to go alongside the level cap increase, an increase is meaningless. Once you reach the new cap, you end up having NOTHING TO DO.

Yep, he said no level increase but there could be a rank increase. He was using Guild Wars as an Example in what people do after hitting max level.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »

What can you do at Level 60, that you can't do at Level 50?

We could grind the *same* STF's for mk XIV instead of MK XII gear. :P
    edited July 2012
    Well I heard that when they do launch a level increase, you will be able to control multiple ships at once, like a fleet. That seems interesting but I would love to see how that works...

:cool:
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yep - in the recent PO interview, it looks like they bare trying to expand your abilities and not your level (sounds like a system similar to what EQ did with the AA point system; but we'll see when they do it.)

I don't mind it asw - in other MMOs when they raise the cap, all the previous high end content essentially gets discarded (yes, some folks still do it from time to time but in my seperience it was always "Hey remember when this took 40 geared characters? Lets see if we can do it with 8." variety.

Blizzard even designed an expansion to re-tool all content in their MMO and rework that previously discarded content back in - and after 18 months of doing that and rolling it out, the results were mixed.

As long as players feel whatever progression scheme they come up with allows them to continue to improve, refine, and "advance" their character in some way that still feels worthwile; it should be okay - and with Cryptic set up the way it is, the LAST thing they can afford to do is effectively discard any playable content.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure why anything would need to be discarded. STO is designed so that the missions scale to your level, so even if they increased the cap the NPCs should scale to your new level.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Personally, if they do increase the level cap, I would rather they separate the Rear Admiral ranks into two 10 lvl ranks, before adding Fleet Admiral.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure why anything would need to be discarded. STO is designed so that the missions scale to your level, so even if they increased the cap the NPCs should scale to your new level.

They may have redesigned STO to allow content to "scale to your level", but STFs are still designed for 45+ (Normal) and 50 (Elite). Unless they add a "Super Elite" at 55, and an "Uber Hardcore" at 60, a level cap increase would essentially make the STF content "worthless".

That, and the MK XII gear you've been grinding becomes worthless, since you'll be going after MK XIV and above instead.

TL;DR: No, to increasing level cap.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Short answer: highly unlikely this year.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gt86 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when we will get a level cap increase. I was hoping we would get a 5-10 level cap increase with Season 6 but haven't read or heard anything about that from any of the Dev's or pod casts. This game really needs a big time level cap increase sinceyou can reach Level 50 so easily and quickly.

I believe this is what you really need instead of a redundant level cap.

• Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    CaptainGeko said in one of the recent interviews, No to a level cap increase, but VA/LG might get "wider".
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Personally, if they do increase the level cap, I would rather they separate the Rear Admiral ranks into two 10 lvl ranks, before adding Fleet Admiral.

+1 on this. I know some navies see the rear admiral rank as one rank but with two halfs (1 and 2 stars) but most navies see the single star admiral as a Commodore.

edit: The poster may want to make use of the search function as this has been discussed and answered many times previously.
  • Options
    thotherosthotheros Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think there should be prestige ranks like in call of duty...so each prestige level is like the 50 level cap and you can unlock special ships and upgrades.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A small thread from a while back discussing this is here ...
    "Developers (only ones who can give official feedback), Will We Ever Go Past VA50?"
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4482781
    suricatta wrote: »
    Al Riveria in an interview yesterday said that no, they do not intend to raise the level cap. What they intend to do is raise the ranks though. He didn't say how, but it appears they are thinking of having lvl 50 as a solid cap, then we will unlock the ranks though special content, since making content to level with is not cost effective and it makes lvl 50 content obsolete. Persoanlly I don't aggree, since Cryptic has made it so content scales with level in this game and any rank increase would surely need some content to grind to unlock it? So really not quite sure what he meant.

The rank increase while maintaining Lv50 as the Cap sounds more like a sideways slide. Maybe this ties into the First Officer system; Unlock the Rank increase to Admiral through special content, and promote a Boff to Captain and playable Character.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    CaptainGeko said in one of the recent interviews, No to a level cap increase, but VA/LG might get "wider".

Given the ship system, it looks thats the case.

But they should either make a Tier 6 already or revamp the ship system to upgrade the ships we want, how we want them.

Just look at the Fleet Galaxy, many want that replaced with a Third Tactical slot. Or with the Raptors, instead of choosing the Somraw for the Ensign Engineering slots Raptor captains wanted all the time, how about we keep our Qins and simply change that BO Slot?

Instead, we have to "deal with it".
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Given the ship system, it looks thats the case.

But they should either make a Tier 6 already or revamp the ship system to upgrade the ships we want, how we want them.

Just look at the Fleet Galaxy, many want that replaced with a Third Tactical slot. Or with the Raptors, instead of choosing the Somraw for the Ensign Engineering slots Raptor captains wanted all the time, how about we keep our Qins and simply change that BO Slot?

Instead, we have to "deal with it".
    As I've said in places, revamping the ship system to be like that is either not within Cryptic's abilities (specifically, the engine can't handle it), or it would require a from-the-ground-up approach...

so in other words, it's not very likely
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    landerx74927landerx74927 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope they increase the level cap when season 7 hits. Its just fun to level up!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Any new level cap everyone would reach inside a week and be right back where we started. Plus would they have to add new skills, or just give us more points to be better at everything on our existing skills?

Say no to power creep.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gt86 wrote: »

No, it would invalidate current endgame content... And we don't have enough to begin with.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only thing I've really heard is a CXP Increase with added rewards. I think that would be an excellent plan, as I am almost 4th rank in everything.