test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to search BOFFs on Exchange?

originaltoastmanoriginaltoastman Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Okay, so I'm looking for a few tier III BOFF abilities, and finding them on the Exchange, near as I can tell, is impossible. You don't appear to be able to search for any useful keywords other than "tactical", "engineering" or "science", and the search will only return the first 400 results. So for very rare BOFF skills (one of the ones I seeking is Torpedo Spread III), BOFFs that are expensive enough to have it won't even show up on search results. Sooo.....how do you find them on the Exchange?
Post edited by originaltoastman on

Comments

• mandrake45mandrake45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Searching for species AND career is the best way, along with either rare or very rare. Some of the boff only abilities are also very rare only so I generally just search those.

Human or Klingon, depending on faction, plus career, will usually get the job done.
    Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Mark One Eyeball I'm afraid. All you can search for is what they are. Like "Human Science Officer Candidate". If you include the race, it helps. The rarity as well. Seems like when I sell a Very Rare, it goes within seconds while anything less takes a while.

The rest is to start from the cheapest and work your way up.

But limiting your search as much as you can helps a great deal.
  • wixibanwixiban Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You need to search more specific.

Say you want a Federation Tactical boff, search by the race name then the word tactical.

Like Betazoid Tactical or Vulcan Tactical and also make sure you set the paramiters on the heading by being in Bridge Officers and Rare or Very Rare.

This way it will return only a small handful, same applies if you a Klingon.
    Wixiban.png
  • originaltoastmanoriginaltoastman Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ....wow. So there isn't any useful way to search bridge officers. Searching by species doesn't actually provide you a useful filter, other than just getting 400 human results. So I guess the answer is search "vulcan tactical", then "human tactical", then "bajoran tactical", etc. Jeepers, that could take hours (if not days). Sounds like they REALLY need to come up with some sort of useful filter for searching BOFFs.

Side note, after a considerable time spent searching, I did stumble across a BOFF with Torpedo Spread III for just 555,000.
    edited July 2012
    ....wow. So there isn't any useful way to search bridge officers. Searching by species doesn't actually provide you a useful filter

Actually it normally does because it gives you a smaller response to look through. While searching for tactical may give you 400 to look through, searching for a Vulcan Tactical with Very rare selected may only give you less than a hundred to look through. Usually even less. I seem to recall getting 7 back when I went looking for a Very Rare Bajorian Engineer way back when.

Plus you have players like me who throw up all boffs for a ec no matter what as we're just doing the recruiting for the xp's. As you note, you may find a gem for real cheap.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ....wow. So there isn't any useful way to search bridge officers. Searching by species doesn't actually provide you a useful filter, other than just getting 400 human results. So I guess the answer is search "vulcan tactical", then "human tactical", then "bajoran tactical", etc. Jeepers, that could take hours (if not days). Sounds like they REALLY need to come up with some sort of useful filter for searching BOFFs.

Side note, after a considerable time spent searching, I did stumble across a BOFF with Torpedo Spread III for just 555,000.

Boffs are easy. You should have tried searching for Doffs before they added the subcategories for them.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe this will help, if anyone spots any errors, I can edit the post.

Fed Boff Races
    Andorian
    Bajoran
    Betazoid
    Bolian
    Ferengi
    Human
    Pakled
    Rigelian
    Saurian
    Tellarite
    Trill
    Vulcan

KDF Boff Races
    Gorn
    Lethean
    Nausicaan
    Orion
    Trill

C-Store exclusives
    Aenar Bridge Officer Requisition (Fed)
    Caitian Bridge Officer Requisition (Fed)
    Ferasan Bridge Officer Requisition (KDF)
    Borg Bridge Officer

Lobi
    Photonic Tactical Officer Candidate

Mission/Accolade
    Borg Science Bridge Officer Candidate
    Breen Tactical Officer Candidate
    Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer Candidate
    Reman Science Officer Candidate

Diplomacy
    Federation Enemy Faction Bridge Officer (Fed)
    KDF Enemy Faction Bridge Officer (KDF)

Other
    Android Bridge Officer (700 Day Vet)
    Photonic Bridge Officer (Referral)
    Veteran (S5 Special)
    It's rather frustrating to both buy and sell BOffs on the exchange - buying you can't find what you want, and selling you're worried that no one will find what you've listed. There's only a handful of abilities worth anything (Efficient, BO3, TS3, TSS3, Aux2SIF3, and being an Orion female), so the stuff people actually want gets lost in the 300 Human Engineers with stupid Aceton Beam 3.
  • capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    just do the dominion invasion missions and get the Jemmy boff for free, it has TS3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
    edited July 2012
    beezle23 wrote: »
    Maybe this will help, if anyone spots any errors, I can edit the post.

I;ve been meaning to ask for that as well. Thanks

Now to see who I;m missing....