test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #4 : Ancient Treasures

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hello and welcome to another Foundry Challenge! :cool: These challenges will be posted every 9-10 weeks, which includes 6 weeks to make your mission, and 3 weeks for the community to play through all of the missions and cast one [1] official vote for a winner. At the end of the 3 weeks of playthrough and voting, a winner, based on a simple majority of votes, will be announced and awarded 1000 STO Promo Points for the C-Store (enough to also purchase additional Foundry slots through the Dilithium exchange, if the winner chooses) and earn a guaranteed spot as a future Foundry Spotlight mission.

Today we start the nine-week run of the fourth Foundry Challenge: Ancient Treasures
While investigating a 1,000-year-old derelict ship, you discover something in this ancient treasure so truly wondrous, that it would inspire any starship officer to never look at the stars in the same way again.

*NOTE: Based off feedback from past challenges, I have tried to make this challenge a little more "open" and "vague" to allow authors to customize their story as they wish. This background story was also submitted by a few players in this thread.

(Updated on 8/2 now that the Foundry editor is back up!) You will have from today, Wednesday June 27th, until Wednesday September 5th at 10am PDT to make your Foundry mission and reply to this thread with its information in the following format:

Mission Title:
Your @Handle:
Faction:
Level Requirement:
Mission Summary:
NOTE: Please do not publish your mission until the morning of Wednesday, September 5th, as close to 10am PDT as possible, but not after***.
NOTE: The above needs to be filled out completely by the due date/ time for your mission to be considered, and your mission must be published in-game at such time to be considered -- unfortunately, any mission that can not be found in-game by the time the voting starts will be removed from this entry thread.

Starting on Wednesday, September 5th, around 10AM PDT, the 3-week playthrough and review stage will begin. Only entries made in this thread prior to 10AM, and are published/ available in-game, on that Wednesday will be eligible to participate in the challenge. Look for a voting thread to be made which will explain the voting process (some info below).

This is the author's thread -- only entries should be made here.
The Discussion Thread can be found HERE.
A link to the Voting Thread will be provided in this thread when that period begins.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

IMPORTANT: The rules may change from one challenge to another, but I'd like to let everyone know what the base rules are. These may grow as we move on (and have since the 1st challenge), so feel free to give feedback in the discussion thread about what should be added!
  • Each Challenge will run for 9 weeks. For 6 weeks we will sticky the challenge and let you make your entry. After the 6th week, the 7th through 9th week will be the time when the mission is published and reviewed by the community.
  • There is no right or wrong entry.
  • The background story should be the main foundation for your mission. You will put the player into the main role.
  • In the spirit of the competition, only maps, missions, stories, dialogue etc. created/ built/ designed during the 6-week creation period should be used.
  • The mission should take only 30 minutes for a player to complete, but MUST not take more than 45 minutes. Error on the side of 30 minutes. This is to allow players to be able to play through all of the missions so they can consider all when voting.
  • In your mission description, opening diologue, and the last doilogue, please include orange "out-of-character" text that explains that your mission is part of the STO Forums' Foundry Challenge #4 -- do not include a link to this post, but let the player know they can visit the "The Foundry for Star Trek Online " section of the forums for more information.
  • Please keep discussion about the entries in the appropriate Discussion Thread.
  • In the Discussion Thread, feel free to write what inspired you and what your thoughts on the topic are.
  • Regarding Voting:
    • Once you have played through all of the missions during the Playthrough Period, please send me an in-game mail with the mission you feel should win this month's challenge.
    • Unless you play through all of the missions pretty quickly, I should not be getting votes until midway through the 8-9th week.
    • Reviewers can only send one [1] in-game mail to me to act as an official vote for a winner.
    • Reviewers can write reviews of some of the other missions if they wish.
  • A few other important reminders:
    • Please heed the Foundry's EULA when submitting your entry! This applies to any mission made in the foundry. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
    • Each author can only have one entry, no matter how many accounts they have.
    • After nine weeks time, the thread will be unstickied as we move on to the next challenge.
    • We'll have three threads: One to post the entries in, one to discuss the entries and one with the official entries list for voting.
      Cross-linking between these threads is acceptable for these challenges ONLY!!

***If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. Also, if you need to publish your mission to test things, that is fine too, but please make sure to unpublish after testing is complete.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    AH YES! My story idea made it, that's a good omen :wink: ...
    ...I'm gonna lose now arnt I lol

AtlasBanner.jpg

Mission Title: Atlas Published
    Your @Handle: rickysmith1
    Faction: United Federation of Planets
    Level Requirement: 31+
    Mission Summary: In the year 2267 the U.S.S Enterprise encountered Apollo, a member of an advanced race that posed as the Ancient Greek Gods; The Olympians.
    However when your asked to investigate a derelict ship you discover the answer to a question long forgotten by Starfleet; What of the Titans?
    Your characters ethical core and identity will be tested and changed by the end of a mission you thought, would be a simple archeology adventure.

POSTER
    TRAILER

rickysmith1 Homepage
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Title: Ancient Dreams
    Author: sbcouto
    Faction: Fed
    Level: Any
    Story: Admiral Quinn commands you to transport his old Councelor, an El-Aurian, and a mysterious crate within the Regulus Sector.
  • Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Think i'll dig my hands into this one. :)

TerrorsofthePast.png

Mission Title: Terrors of the Past
    Your @Handle: kahn
    Faction: KDF
    Level Requirement: 41+
    Mission Summary: The spoils of war are sometimes not as glorious as the Empire would lead you to believe. Delve deep into the mystery of a 1000 year old vessel drifting along near the KDF front with the Federation and learn the true meaning of Terror!

Current Status: Published!
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    TheZypexRevelation_Banner.jpg

Mission Title: The Zypex Revelation
    Your @Handle: Klintobean
    Faction: Federation
    Level Requirement: 16

Mission Summary: Your ship has been abruptly taken off the front lines in the endless war against the Klingons. Instead, Starfleet has asked that you investigate a 1,000-year-old derelict ship recently spotted by the U.S.S. Cossack. While conducting your survey of the ship you discover something in this ancient treasure so truly wondrous, that it will undoubtedly change the way Starfleet looks at the stars in the Universe. However, you suddenly find that you are not the only ship interested in this lost relic.

What lasting repercussions will this discovery introduce to the Alpha Quadrant? Will it have the power to calm the tides of war with the Klingon Empire? Or will it spark a new conflict with a deadly force.

This continues the unfolding saga of the Zypex Legion.
    Who are they? Where did they come from? What do they want?
    Answers will be revealed!

The Zypex Revelation Mission Trailer

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    relicsbanner4.jpg

Title: Relics
    @handle: Kirkfat
    Level: Any
    Style: Diplomacy, with some Action

Description: The Klingon Empire is occupying a planet for unknown reasons. You are sent to investigate. What you discover will alter your perception of the cosmos, its past, and its present.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hi Captains!

Now that the Foundry editor is back up, I am going to extend the creation period by 4 weeks! Original due date for missions was next Wednesday the 8th, so the new date is September 5th :) I will update the OP with this information. Please continue to use this thread to discuss.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Note: This is not my mission, but Pendra80 would like to enter the contest. He can't post to the forums after the PWE merger, so he asked that I post for him. Please add to the list:

Mission Title: The Long Sleep
    Handle: Pendra80
    Level Requirement: 16+

Mission Summary: When the best of Starfleet fails, it is up to you and your crew to uncover the knowledge of the past that can rewrite the future of the galaxy. Your ship is ordered to the Khellian system, Psi Velorum sector at best speed...

- 45 mins - Some combat - Story driven adventure - Moderate branching - Multiple endings
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mission Title: The Darkness between the Stars
    Your @Handle: Marhawkman
    Level Requirement: 31+
    Mission Summary: The Federation has detected weak signals coming from a ship floating through deep space. The signals don't match any known race. From what we've been able to gather the ship is derelict and drifting in deep space. We need you to intercept the ship and examine it to determine if it is safe for us to study.

This si mainly a story driven mission but it does have some combat.

you can haz preview nao:
    darkness_between_the_stars_preview_by_marhawkman-d5dhusc.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hi Authors,

As a reminder, the deadline/publish date for your missions is tomorrow, Wednesday September 5th. Please do not publish them until 10AM PDT tomorrow, or, as close as you can get to that time (i.e. if you have to work at 7am PDT tomorrow, publish it before you leave for work, or tonight, or whenever :) Just as late as possible, but by 10am PDT tomorrow.)

Also, please remember that you need to reply to this thread with its information in the format lasted in the OP (this needs to be filled out completely by the due date/ time for your mission to be considered).

Thanks, and good luck! :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your @Handle: @diogene0
    Mission title: the Twilight of the gods
    Mission Summary:

A Starfleet transport shuttle crashed on Pico VI. This planet is extrelemy hostile. Starfleet Command orders you to send a rescue team to look for survivors. According to your chief archeologist, your sensors indicate that this planet used to be the homeworld of a prosperous civilization. This might be a good opportunity to learn more about it.

This is a story-driven mission with some challenging fights.

mini_208752screenshot20120904235406.jpg

I'm not sure you are welcome on this planet.

mini_868912screenshot20120905000034.jpg

It looks like a cosy place. Oh, wait...
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    walkerraptorwalkerraptor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mission Title: The Answer
    Your @Handle: raptorwalker
    Mission Summary:
    The Question has been asked by many, understood by few, and hidden by many more. Do you know the Answer?

Answer a call for help by a displaced Romulan colony and perhaps you too will understand the Question.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thank you to everyone who submitted their missions for Foundry Challenge #4! From today until Wednesday, September 26th at 10AM PST, voting will be open. Please see this thread for voting information.

Also, unfortunately, I've had to remove any posts in this thread where the mission listed could not be found in-game at this time. Sorry :(

Good luck!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    UPDATE: One mission has been added to the blog and voting thread that was published on-time. Also, if you are having trouble finding a mission, please search by author name.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    We have a winner! Check out this post for details: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=696341

Congratulations to all! Everyone did a FANTASTIC job! :) You're all winners in my book.

I am going to unsticky this, but feel fee to keep discussing this challenge here! Challenge #5 will be posted next week.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.