test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Opinion Request: Chronitons

Comments

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    With the collective feedback of this thread in hand, I decided to dig into Chronitons on the data side of things.

Turns out, a number of things needed to be changed:

1) Inertial Dampers will now give resistance to Turn Rate debuffs. While it previously gave innate resistance to Flight Speed debuffs, it was not applying correctly to Turn Rate debuffs.

2) The duration of Chroniton procs can now be resisted with Inertial Dampers skill. They previously were unresistable by any means (flagged as such, at the data level - oops).

3) The change in #2 also allows powers with Immunity or Resistance factors to actually function against the debuff. This includes AuxToID, Polarize Hull and APO, among others.

4) Fixed their debuff indicator. A small thing, but it will make it more obvious when you're slowed because of a proc, if you're watching icon indicators on your ship instead of your UI.

These changes won't go live until Season 6, but look for them to possibly appear on Tribble before then!

Thanks again for all of your feedback.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • falloutx23falloutx23 Member Posts: 456
    edited June 2012
    thanks borticus

I know its a lot to ask, but is there any way e1 can get a respec token when season 6 hits? I think you'll agree that there has been some drastic changes in the last couple of months that has forced a lot of respecs to keep up with them all.
  • thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2012
    With the collective feedback of this thread in hand, I decided to dig into Chronitons on the data side of things.

1) Inertial Dampers will now give resistance to Turn Rate debuffs. While it previously gave innate resistance to Flight Speed debuffs, it was not applying correctly to Turn Rate debuffs.

2) The duration of Chroniton procs can now be resisted with Inertial Dampers skill. They previously were unresistable by any means (flagged as such, at the data level - oops).

3) The change in #2 also allows powers with Immunity or Resistance factors to actually function against the debuff. This includes AuxToID, Polarize Hull and APO, among others.

4) Fixed their debuff indicator. A small thing, but it will make it more obvious when you're slowed because of a proc, if you're watching icon indicators on your ship instead of your UI.

These changes won't go live until Season 6, but look for them to possibly appear on Tribble before then!

Wow! Sounds great. Thanks dude. +1 for the systems guy. :smile:

Arawn - SOB
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well that fixes the system balance Borticus thank you, but the Chroniton torps in game are still not canon Chroniton torps, neither in looks or by their system mechanics (same deal with Transphasics really).

Do you think that will ever change?
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    A bit late but...

1 and 3 mainly.

33% chance proc + high yield torpedo + projectile weapons officer = almost a sure thing the target will get debuffed with no chance of countering it.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

any wavering faith i had in the devs has been completely restored, this is an extreamly beneficial change! i hope this is only the beginning of the dialog to sort out the game balance!

with inertial dampeners fixed on, will they offer more then 0 resistance to conventional tractor beam hold now?
  • corsair114corsair114 Member Posts: 276
    edited June 2012
    Stackable + Unclearable.

You can't get out from under them once they're on you, and they can be piled up to infinity. This needs to be addressed, as right now they're unstoppable.

Somewhat seperate issue but still related to Chronitons:

Also, someone needs to take a look at the Chroniton Flux Torpedo from the mission "The New Link."

It doesn't look or say denote that it is statistically different from normal Chroniton Torpedos (other than having a fancy name) but does appear to have a slow whose magnitude is much greater than normal Chronitons. There's no mention of this fact anywhere in its description.

IE: I use Torp Spread 1 with a normal Chroniton on a BoP in Ker'rat and he's slowed significantly but never outright stopped.

I use Torp Spread 1 with the Chroniton Flux torp and the BoP, and virtually anything else, is brought to a grinding halt almost instantly.

I'm just curious if it's a matter of perception on my part (repeated testing suggests otherwise) or if there really is something special going on with the Chroniton Flux Torpdeo Launcher from "The New Link."
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My only suggestion might be to have the disable time be reduced by subystem repair or have the ship be immune to being disabled when running aux to dampeners (as per the ability description)
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • captkirrahecaptkirrahe Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Thanks for investigating this issue! :] More please! :tongue::wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Ramming Speed III deals 52098 (99235) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Remus.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    Just checked the data on Chroniton Flux. It just does more damage, no other difference. About the same as a [Dmg]x2.5 or so.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited June 2012

Excellent! This is the kind of thing PvP desperately needs. Thank you!
  • fakehilbertfakehilbert Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Great news! Thanks!
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thank you for looking into this.

Also, which Dev and which forum section should we post in if there's an issue of Doffs not working as intended now that Heretic has moved on?

For example, in the past Heretic mentioned a design goal of 3 purple doffs being the desired amount. However, less than 3 is often needed as some have their proc tick 2x instead of one. Last I checked the Team doffs (ET,ST,TT) and evasive doffs behaved like this.

One last Doff issue is last time I tested Photonic Doffs and Tech Doffs stacked to the point where sub 30 sec global cooldown was avoidable. I wasn't using all purples either.

Thank again.

Formally,

iamid
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Way late but seriously, #6: Pets throwing procs out of whack. Maybe another thread?

Anyway, thanks for the fix and for listening. It's much appreciated.
    edited June 2012
    falloutx23 wrote: »
    thanks borticus

I know its a lot to ask, but is there any way e1 can get a respec token when season 6 hits? I think you'll agree that there has been some drastic changes in the last couple of months that has forced a lot of respecs to keep up with them all.

Sorry but its NOT alot to ask. They keep changing stuff, fixing stuff, i think its time for a free respec token once again.

Seriously tho id say they need to be free for subbers and lifers.

----

Im happy with this change, but lets just hope its not another goof and wasted respec like insulators which does work nicely against 1 drain but again being stacked it works like $#@% and ur still drained to unacceptable levels if it stacks.

We'll see how it ends up.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What is the real reason for the complaints of imbalance against these:

1) Reliability of debuff

2) Power/magnitude of debuff

3) Lack of defense against said debuff

4) Stackability of debuff

5) Something else, or a combo of the above

The numerous complaints against chroniton procs in general have placed the issue on my radar, but the majority of the posts I read are just complaints without thorough analysis attached. Can some of you regulars shed some light on the core mechanic that is causing this beef?

Thanks!

1) Yes 33% proc rate is not bad if you are getting hit with one... of course now we have pets spamming them which doesn't help... however yes with a HY / Spread the chances are very high to proc... it is also why the chron mines are so crazy.... as people in general if they run over one mine they run over the whole cluster....
    1 - ( ( 1 - x ) ^ y ) Basic probability tells us that
    One cluster of Chron mines = 86.5% chance to land one proc
    One Hy 3 of Chron torps = 79.85% chance to land one proc
    Getting a chron to proc is extremely easy considering the strength of the proc

Another thing to consider is the effect of the Torpedo doffs... I love them myself they have made torps a viable option when building I think... however they do really ramp up the effective value of running 2-3 chron torps + some doffs. (think sci ship here) Now using our probability formula again... and assuming we have a ship running 3 launchers... and 3 Purple torp doffs... we can pretty much assume they will get 3-8 torps off in 10 seconds.
    With 8 out... that is a 89% chance to proc a torp... seeing as the procs last for 10 seconds again keeping someone proced is pretty easy.

2) and 3) go together the proc is very strong to have no counter. If the proc was less powerful the zero counter would be less of an issue... still I would say better to simply have a counter to the proc.

4) Refer to the math in point one... with pets and torp doffs keeping people perma proced is as easy as turning auto fire on these days.

I think many of us understand how to build the most annoying sci ships you have ever seen. Mostly we don't run them cause there plain out UNFUN.... however with sci resists and general degradation to sci ship builds. It is very tempting to be plain out annoying... and run 3 chron torps 2 chron mines on a sci ship with a beam on the back for disables... with 3 torp doffs and a Spread 2 or Hy 2... keeping people always proced is super easy... throw in a couple copies of VM or something and you have a recipe for the most annoying ship you could play against in the game.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2012

This could fix the complaining. Thanks.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Glad to hear that the Proc will be getting attention. Sad to hear that we have to wait till Season 6. But I can understand the reasons for it. Now.. about Phaser Procs.....
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Nice fix sir :)

• corsair114corsair114 Member Posts: 276
    edited June 2012
    Just checked the data on Chroniton Flux. It just does more damage, no other difference. About the same as a [Dmg]x2.5 or so.

Thanks for taking time to give it a look, Borticus. :)
  • broken1981broken1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

wow awesome. if only gozer had taken a look instead of saying hes not going to balance anything till till s7 or some TRIBBLE like that. not to replace gozer( would love too, let him keep to his stupid stf TRIBBLE) can you make a post say each 3 weeks and talk about something thats causing problems in pvp and see if we can get some of this stuff nailed down early till gozer has his pvp fix up and ready? then 1 update can be made and pvp can actually be fun again.
    I can throw [Fireworks] at you and hope you catch on fire and burn to death lol
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gozer isn't an ability number cruncher, he deals more with actual content. he wouldn't personally be trying to balance skills, it would be guys like borticus. now that season 6 is entering the testing phase, system guys suddenly arent tasked with the making of season 6, so they have time to research a problem like this, and try to solve it. they do this when ever they have time, the pvp overhaul isn't anywhere close to being ready for an official scheduled balance pass.

as long as we can be civil, and as long as he has time, borticus will be back with more threads like this, doing what he can to fix other problems
  • dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2012

That's awesome Borticus, a thousand thank you's!
  • naldorannaldoran Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Borticus, I have a proposal for you; just like Gozer has his weekly PvP update threads, would you be willing to have weekly systems / balance discussion threads? There are a lot of issues in PvP, but if you were to pick one issue per week to get focused feedback on and try to patch to the point where it is balanced, you could generate a lot of goodwill from a sometimes frustrated community.
    12th Fleet | Sad Pandas | Starfleet M.A.C.O.
    edited June 2012
    ok so he is not a numbers guy. but while hes trying to figure out what to do with pvp to make it fun we can have blance topics that he can pass around to the numbers people. i mean really how hard was this to accomplish? this dev actually made me fell like some 1 really cares about our pvp and how people felt. even if gozer said look lets talk about this 1 proc and why is it hurting pvp and saying nothing will happen yet but it will get looked at. thats enough to make you feel like hey they care.

1 topic at a time and you know what? when the pvp update comes together most of the job is done at that point.
    edited June 2012
    naldoran wrote: »
    Borticus, I have a proposal for you; just like Gozer has his weekly PvP update threads, would you be willing to have weekly systems / balance discussion threads? There are a lot of issues in PvP, but if you were to pick one issue per week to get focused feedback on and try to patch to the point where it is balanced, you could generate a lot of goodwill from a sometimes frustrated community.

i honestly feel that every 3 weeks is good enough. then in 3 weeks they can get all the info from players and look at the data. most people will have bad ideas and the devs really need the right info. sure it will be a 40+ page but if people stay on topic and only post 1-3 times then its good for everyone. they sift the post check it out ideas are written good and clear then in the end we can fix this. i mean this seems like the first time a dev and the community came together and got a problem fixed.
    edited June 2012
    Personally I don't think they need to be bothered with weekly/bi-weekly/tri-weekly updating schedules. I'd rather have them come in when its important :). thanks again

• zorena#3961 zorena Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Team comps with multiple people running chronitons and using subnuke when hes unable to move is not supposed to be a valid strategy.
    Noone.
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited June 2012
    Finally, a good balance change. It's been too long.

While we're going on about mines, can we talk about the new pay-2-win spawn of Satan, Tachyons? If you thought Chronitons were bad....
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Regarding the 1st change, I suggest all pet debuffs function like this in terms of player skills providing strong passive resists. Imo, 1 wing should not have more then 1 Lt tier debuff Boff in effectiveness collectively in PvP. This would still be very powerful in terms of having 2 pseudo boff debuff abilities. Upping the player resists would still keep them powerful for PvE since NPC resists need not change.

Also, please consider a global cooldown for a wing of pets debuff. This way if the pets are respawn they'd still have to wait before re-applying the debuff. I'm guessing pets would have to go back to all using a debuff ability @ 1x for this to work.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter