test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Players with flashlights on their shoulders

eurekamarueurekamaru Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I've seen players in game (usually wearing Omega constumes) that seem to have a flashlight that they can turn on/off on their shoulder, and it looks awesome. How can I get this?

:mad:
Post edited by eurekamaru on

Comments

• Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You can pick one up in the Klingon Front mission "What Lies beneath". Make sure to remove it from your character before ending the mission (beaming out) as its automatically removed from your devices slot (you use it in the mission to light up the area as its dark).

You can collect a few more for your BOs too. Here is some wiki info: http://www.stowiki.org/Flashlight
  • Options
    eurekamarueurekamaru Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    You can pick one up in the Klingon Front mission "What Lies beneath". Make sure to remove it from your character before ending the mission (beaming out) as its automatically removed from your devices slot (you use it in the mission to light up the area as its dark).

You can collect a few more for your BOs too.

Thank you :smile:

:mad:
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think they should add small cool little features like this to the elite sets; badass elite specops types with their blinding flashlights to navigate dark hostile territory, and of course MACO guys need lights on their EVA suits because it's dark out in space. :redface:
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well the wiki mentions it, and I recall hearing it, that the reason they can't do that is because of the added strain on people's GPUs to render a large scene of people using these flashlights at the same time - especially in graphically intensive environments.

I guess they could always try and implement a "Display Player Gear Effects" toggle to kill seeing other people's lights, if your system couldn't handle it - but thats likely easier said than done.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012

You can collect a few more for your BOs too. Here is some wiki info: http://www.stowiki.org/Flashlight

Brilliant! I was wondering about that, since I thought it was removed completely after the mission.
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Perhaps a stupid question, but what the he... ...I didn't know this when I ran through that mission, hence i have no torch. Can I do the mission again, and get it this (2nd) time?

Cheers.
    /Floozy
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Perhaps a stupid question, but what the he... ...I didn't know this when I ran through that mission, hence i have no torch. Can I do the mission again, and get it this (2nd) time?

Cheers.

It's in a box near the exit when you first start.

I cheated a bit -- I wore my EV suit for this mission and supplemented the flashlight with the suit light, although the EV suit light doesn't point straight ahead, it helped.
    edited June 2012
    EV suits also have lights attached to them.

On a related note, I've been working recently on a fleet starbase mission that you'll probably want your flashlights for. Charge your batteries. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited June 2012
    According to the STO wiki:

According to mission designer Jesse Heinig the Flashlight is removed from the player due to hardware limitations. Since each player would be able to carry a dynamic light source, social areas with 30+ players could not be rendered anymore with most GPUs.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »

On a related note, I've been working recently on a fleet starbase mission that you'll probably want your flashlights for. Charge your batteries. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_17_Is_Missing
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    According to the STO wiki:

According to mission designer Jesse Heinig the Flashlight is removed from the player due to hardware limitations. Since each player would be able to carry a dynamic light source, social areas with 30+ players could not be rendered anymore with most GPUs.

Fortunately, they added a workaround with the EV suits that makes the light itself only render for the person wearing it. Everyone else just sees the texture's glowing effect but not the light source itself.

At least, this is what I've observed in my testing. :smile:
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    WOW, nice pic in stowiki. Sure wished it worked like that for me, would've made 'what lies beneath' a bit more fun if I could've seen what I was shooting at.

...before you ask- my low quality video settings nerfed the beam.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2012

I'll be back... gotta go change my pants...
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    The flashlight shines an actual dynamic light when on High (and I think Medium) settings. On Low settings, it drops the light (necessitated by the graphics card) and instead draws what we call a splat. Basically a texture that looks similar to a light splash, projected from the flashlight's position, in the direction you're pointing. Admittedly, this looks much worse than the actual light does.

The EV suits are lacking the splat, and unfortunately, on low end, just drop the light entirely.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The flashlight shines an actual dynamic light when on High (and I think Medium) settings. On Low settings, it drops the light (necessitated by the graphics card) and instead draws what we call a splat. Basically a texture that looks similar to a light splash, projected from the flashlight's position, in the direction you're pointing. Admittedly, this looks much worse than the actual light does.

The EV suits are lacking the splat, and unfortunately, on low end, just drop the light entirely.

That's alright, the splat doesn't actually help you see anything. When I was running at lower graphic settings, I kept trying to use it to help me see during the mission you get it in before finally figuring out it was easier just to go without it.

And then later when I was able to actually play with higher graphic settings, I realized why some people found it useful when it seemed useless to me.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well the wiki mentions it, and I recall hearing it, that the reason they can't do that is because of the added strain on people's GPUs to render a large scene of people using these flashlights at the same time - especially in graphically intensive environments.

I guess they could always try and implement a "Display Player Gear Effects" toggle to kill seeing other people's lights, if your system couldn't handle it - but thats likely easier said than done.

I'd like to see the MACO ground set double as an environmental suit.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    I'd like to see the MACO ground set double as an environmental suit.

This would be cool and would make sense, but the Omega set would need a desirable added functionality too if it weren't to be an EVA suit. But whatever happens they should both have fancy lights :tongue: (disabled in social zones :redface: ).
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]