test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well this is new.....

2»

Comments

• shadowdarter1shadowdarter1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Just Tell me when i can get my Handle, back, ive been known as shadowdarter in many games over ten, years. Of all the things you could have done, stealing my name from under my feet is a very low blow.
  • aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ugh, I hate this.

I don't like the new layout, but that might grow on me given time, doubt it though.

Most of all though, the loss of handles and avatars really hurts the community. Why even bother to have Avatars if they are not custom? The whole point of the Avatar is so that a person can glance at the picture and have a general idea of who is posting. It sort of creates a visual guide when reading threads that makes it easier to link who is saying what.

It seems like more and more this PWE merger is turning out to be a bad thing.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    No, that's not what I said/meant :) Let me rephrase it: We tried to make it so that that we could transfer over old posts and keep the names attached to the posts, but doing so would have presented a security concern in regards to the name that was displayed. So, we couldn't. There was nothing insecure about the database.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

is there going to be any effort to allow some of us to regain out older usernames?
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The general consensus here is that this is one of the worst mistakes Cryptic has made.

No custom avatars, smaller signatures, not being able to edit old posts, missing sub-forums?

And you spelt "Dominion" wrong on the avatar select? Come on, that's bloody terrible.

You can't brush over this, Cryptic. It is not going away, and this bad publicity is not what you needed right before the launch of Season 6.
  • poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Welp... the forums have been changed around considerably.... Not sure if that's a good thing though. Yeah, the white on black post box doesn't do much for me....

Actually it's like Barclay was messing with the holodeck again or we've gone back in time or something cause this just happens to be just like a place I left 3 years ago to come to STO. :wink:
    jfsig02.png
  • njdmb30njdmb30 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    zadama wrote: »
    The general consensus here is that this is one of the worst mistakes Cryptic has made.

No custom avatars, smaller signatures, not being able to edit old posts, missing sub-forums?

And you spelt "Dominion" wrong on the avatar select? Come on, that's bloody terrible.

You can't brush over this, Cryptic. It is not going away, and this bad publicity is not what you needed right before the launch of Season 6.

PWE's motto should be "Any publicity is good publicity", because all they get is bad publicity.
    No, that's not what I said/meant :) Let me rephrase it: We tried to make it so that that we could transfer over old posts and keep the names attached to the posts, but doing so would have presented a security concern in regards to the name that was displayed. So, we couldn't. There was nothing insecure about the database.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I dont know how having our ingame handle and our forum handle match is a "security concern" but ok.... LOL, not... PWE is the only company that Ive seen with the restriction inregards to MMO forums... there would be no security concern.... and your USERS would have preferred it so they could have all their old stuff...

Congrats, you seem to know how to anger your users, rather than make them happy.
    7NGGeUP.png

• mvaiksmvaiks Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    We were cough on a rupture of the space-time continuum and were sent back to the far past when forums used to look like this TRIBBLE.

It is up to us to solve the mystery and get back to the present where every single forum on the net, done with freely available tools, looks better then this... :mad:

(and yes, like it was said before, it is a lousy implementation. The white borders around the buttons and emotes are the job of someone that should be fired. That's what I would do if someone whom works on my team did something like this... oh wait, I don't hire ppl with this TRIBBLE skills...)
    --- My sig begins here ---
    Member since Jan 24th 2010 (more or less)
    Career Officer
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Is there going to be a way to get our old subscribed threads back? I had a lot of stuff I really liked in there!

Not to mention threads from way back in beta... are all of those gone too?
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012

I think this has more to do with PWE than Cryptic. But I agree. I was finally beginning to look forward to season six, and this TRIBBLE happens.
  • redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So, not only have we been striped of our uniqueness in the way of forum avatars, but we've all been set to a new forum join date and we're unable to change our display name so that we can get back our forum cred that we've built up over the years. ( not to mention the money or goods or services rendered to get custom made avatars.)

I'm not happy about this. I'm trying to stay calm and not pour more vile into the forums, but your not making it easy for me. I like countless others have different display names for different games, we're role players we use these display names to help moderate our day to day workings in different games and help keep track of what's what.

RedShirtJohnson - Forum Join Date - July 28 2008

I've done the math, and I've invested nearly $1100 into this game over the past four years and to have even one facet of it white washed is truly disheartening.

All the respect to the Dev's but more and more it feels to me like it's the bottle line, and not the consumer base that is most important to those who write the checks. We need reassurance that we're valued customers and not just interchangeable cogs in the shape of $-signs...

Work-around's and comments like " Soon TM " " Added to FAQ's " and the like are not answers they are dismissive remarks used to placate and it just saddens me.

NOTE: I understand the dev's don't have any really say in the matter, but even a solider following orders has the duty to call into question any order given to them if they don't agree with them.
    edited June 2012
    So, not only have we been striped of our uniqueness in the way of forum avatars, but we've all been set to a new forum join date and we're unable to change our display name so that we can get back our forum cred that we've built up over the years. ( not to mention the money or goods or services rendered to get custom made avatars.)

But... But.... but... we have post counters now! Shouldn't that amount to something?
  • redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    But... But.... but... we have post counters now! Shouldn't that amount to something?

Oh... Oh... Oh... We've also got an banner ad glued to the top of every page offering " Free Zen " for letting them install viruses and using our personal data for marketing. But we get free Zen!! so it must be a Win-Win...

Banner ad's meet the AdBlock extension :biggrin:
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Are you really surprised?
    At DS9, on the Klingon STF gear vendor Disruptor has been spelled "Disrupter" for a long time. (I forget which weapon it's for tho)

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
    edited June 2012
    At DS9, on the Klingon STF gear vendor Disruptor has been spelled "Disrupter" for a long time. (I forget which weapon it's for tho)

Spelling is forgivable. Take away my avatars and Sigs? DIE!!!!
  • woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is a major CF...

I HATE THIS NEW FORUM.

:mad:
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • bghostbghost Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ppl will always hate change. oh well. i knew this would happen eventually. it's been two years since i been back to these forums. kinda missed them.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Okay. The new forums are hard to look at, inconvenient to search through, the usernames are ugly...

But one of the worst mistakes? Come on. Two years of no PvP. Giant gaps without story content. STFs that made new MMOers dislike group content. Stats that are hard to decipher.

You're going to put forums up there with, well... Anything?

This is maybe on par with the first iteration of ThomastheCat's ESD signage or the Dervish contest controversy.

As in... *sigh* Not MY cup of tea. Aspects of it (player or dev-side) will annoy me as long as I play the game.

But just like the ESD signage and the Dervish contest? Minor.

I'm still more upset that Atari sold the game for half price less than 60 days after launch. That's a much bigger deal than the forum layout.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Yeah im also getting hit with popups for free zen too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
    edited June 2012
    Okay. The new forums are hard to look at, inconvenient to search through, the usernames are ugly...

But one of the worst mistakes? Come on. Two years of no PvP. Giant gaps without story content. STFs that made new MMOers dislike group content. Stats that are hard to decipher.

You're going to put forums up there with, well... Anything?

Yes actually. It is one of the greatest, if not the greatest mistake ever. The forums are the reason most of the people on the forums still play the game. You are right, if there was more to the game, this would sting less. But it's the opposite, if the forums are the reason a lot of people are still sticking around, then it's because of the forums we are getting new content!

Actually it's not one of the biggest mistakes, it IS the biggest mistake, after all, if the new management can't even get the forums right, who in their right mind is going to believe that they can get those problems you speak of fixed?

Sure, it may not be an accurate impression, but I'm certainly not the only one who shares it, and in Business, impression is everything. They have shot themselves in the foot with this one whether they want to admit it or not, and quite frankly, this is the absolute last thing Cryptic needed before Season Six.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ... and quite frankly, this is the absolute last thing Cryptic needed before Season Six.

I'm just glad that it was -before- season six, and we won't be dealing with this on patch day.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Why the hell can't we have custom avatars? Almost every forum allows that! Seriously, what the hell? :confused:
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I've been feeling Very INSECURE, since about 10:30am EDT yesterday morning...

Can anybody guess the reason why?

Hint: I clicked on my STO Favorites Link..., and discovered this Fluster-Cluck.

:frown:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited June 2012
    nagorak wrote: »
    Why the hell can't we have custom avatars? Almost every forum allows that! Seriously, what the hell? :confused:

I mean, it's only been Standard Issue since 2005. PWE has a strange aversion to that sort of thing.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I don't mind the new forums at all other then the lack of Custom Avatars.

I like them.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yea these forums are step or two hundred BACKWARDS! You can go to ANY free forum site and get better quality on those than this. I use to come here several times a day, but this new forum style is causing me to get migraines if I look at the pages too long. Later I got to take my meds to get rid of the headache this is causing.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    edited June 2012
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    I don't mind the new forums at all other then the lack of Custom Avatars.

I like them.

Sure, they are rather pretty. Minus all of this TRIBBLE.