test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Foundry for Star Trek Online EULA FAQ

2»

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Would be helpful if the actual Q&A thread got some answers.

At first, I was thinking this would collapse my episode, but the more I think about it, and write out various responses, I think I can make it work. Keeping it generic on past events, but work it so the story remains. they were going to be modified chodak anyway, so I could say they take on a new name in honour of their superiority. Probably work in some more speech boxes to make the connection without connections.

Maybe the name Chozrak.

I can tell you from simply reading the EULA:

They aren't on the list of approved properties and you didn't make them up with the Chodak. Now, something similar... insofaras Ferasans might remind people of Kzinti? Sure.
  • ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Okay, so we can't use the likeness of any cast members in our missions. What about burning PWE/Cryptic employees in effigy?

Note: Question asked for informational purposes only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    (Never mind)
  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can I make a character that is the decedent of other character(s), like "T'Leia Elisabeth T. D. Tucker" (Full Name: T'Leia Elisabeth T'Pol Dragovich Tucker). Or, "Michael T'Pau Archer" ?
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I reckon so; there's actually no rule even against using the characters from the series - the trouble is that the ACTORS are "copyrighted" (to themselves), so that you can't make a costume that looks like them. A descendant character wouldn't have that problem. I thought Elizabeth Tucker died young, though, but I may be misremembering.
  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    wombat140 wrote: »
    I reckon so; there's actually no rule even against using the characters from the series - the trouble is that the ACTORS are "copyrighted" (to themselves), so that you can't make a costume that looks like them. A descendant character wouldn't have that problem. I thought Elizabeth Tucker died young, though, but I may be misremembering.

Elizabeth Tucker did die young. Not unless the timeline has been changed that she didn't die and trip and t'pol got married and so on.

I am currently making a foundry mission about an alien race who has technology that not just lets them travel back in time but also travel to another universe, and that they are from a parallel universe trying to take what "rightfully belongs to them."

I already made 2 missions of this:

Ripple Effect - Prelude (Out)
    Ripple Effect - Incursion (Out)
    Ripple Effect - Domino Effect Part 1 (Not Finished)
    Ripple Effect - Domino Effect Part 2 (TBD)

Prelude and Incursion take place in the present. You set out to help a task force to help find a missing ship, while you do so, you encounter an enemy fleet...

Domino Effect parts 1 and 2 will be in the Future in another universe practically. A "holographic recording" showing how this whole war began and which the player will be taking the role of Captain Valhalla, in command of U.S.S. Achilles

(ITS A REMAKE OF MY FAN FICTION STORY: Ripple Effect, Part I: A Change In Starfleet History & The Universe) Which is poorly created with errors due to the fact that every time I edit it makes unnecessary edits of it own. Oh and that story hasn't been finished. T_T

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9106107/1/Ripple-Effect-Part-I-A-Change-In-Starfleet-History-The-Universe
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So any and all references to expanded universe (novels, other games etc) characters is out. Be it appearances or mentions in dialogue? Does that extend to heavily implied but not quite like just using a surname?
  • sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mentioning it, and you're probably fine, aslong as X character does not make an actual appearance, you should be good.
  • lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, in the latest patches they added a Worf asset. Is this allowable since he is noticeably aged? I'm wondering how we are supposed to use this new character asset if making the likeness of anyone is forbidden.
  • ian128kian128k Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And to that point, what about characters like Saavik, who was played by two different actors? If I make my character not look like either Kirstie Alley or Robin Curtis (who themselves looked very dissimilar) but the character is still Saavik (at this point cripplingly old, even for a Vulcan) is that allowed?
    edited January 2015
    ian128k wrote: »
    And to that point, what about characters like Saavik, who was played by two different actors? If I make my character not look like either Kirstie Alley or Robin Curtis (who themselves looked very dissimilar) but the character is still Saavik (at this point cripplingly old, even for a Vulcan) is that allowed?

You're probably safe with a crippling-old version of Saavik.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have to wonder about a version that looked like a mix of the two?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2015
    It's probably best to not even try. Older Vulcan with the tile Saavik will do. It's not like we even have a wavy hair option.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You could fake it with a Romulan and use the Gothic option.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dataweaver42dataweaver42 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Let's say that I want to do a story that features an original character who comes from the Abrams-verse -- for instance, a young Vulcan who appears from a time portal in the Vulcan system and expresses surprise that Vulcan is intact, and then recognizes the statue of Ambassador Spock upon visiting the surface. Would that violate the EULA?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    As long as you don't directly reference the film or include original characters introduced in it you're fine. If you say your character is from "an alternate timeline" in which some events played out differently, it shouldn't be a problem.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • xochildxochild Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So, in the latest patches they added a Worf asset. Is this allowable since he is noticeably aged? I'm wondering how we are supposed to use this new character asset if making the likeness of anyone is forbidden.

I've been wondering the same thing, I came across that version of Worf labelled as "Worf - Forcas" and described as "Worf, as seen on Forcas."

I'm making my new Foundry mission and I'd love to tie Worf into the story if it's allowed, and while we're at it, I'll take two Admiral Quinn's to-go, please.
    edited March 2015
    xochild wrote: »
    I've been wondering the same thing, I came across that version of Worf labelled as "Worf - Forcas" and described as "Worf, as seen on Forcas."

I'm making my new Foundry mission and I'd love to tie Worf into the story if it's allowed, and while we're at it, I'll take two Admiral Quinn's to-go, please.

So, I can't give you a hard and fast yes or no. He is available as a stock NPC and they haven't removed him, so I'm inclined to say yes, you can use him. But neither can I guarantee that at some point down the road, Cryptic won't choose to pull his NPC over legal concerns.

My best advice for now is, go ahead and use him, but don't over use him. If things change and you later have to exclude him from your mission, have a backup plan.

And of course, happy authoring. :)
  • observatorrobservatorr Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Does anyone have a list of which Foundry missions include canon characters?

Also, can anyone tell me how many posts I need to make before I can start a new thread?
    Post edited by observatorr on
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure about the post count, just take part in discussions and soon it won't be an issue.

The number of Foundry missions that include canon characters would probably be a count of all the missions that include Worf or Sela (which I don't think anyone in the community has kept track of, there are many, many thousands of Foundry missions). Those two are the only ones (from the shows/movies) we have access to in the Foundry. While you can imagine recreating actor's likenesses using STO character creation tool that is an explicit violation of the End User License Agreement (the first post in this thread has the full EULA).

Photonomy found an acceptable work around for one canon character, but I won't spoil which.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @Archived Post said:
    > Kirkfat wrote: »
    >
    > But they don't really define it. What if the eyes are likeness?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Can you customize eyes in the game? Can eyes alone identify someone in the game?
    >
    > More to the point, I think the issue is covering lawsuits.
    >
    > If I recreate Shatner (and you know I can), someone COULD associate my (hypothetical) "Kirk kills a puppy" mission with Shatner killing puppies. It might influence their opinion of Shatner if they saw him on the street.
    >
    > If I create Dukat, nobody will mistake him for Marc Alaimo on the street. If Dukat kills a puppy, it doesn't reflect on Marc Alaimo or create associations that would make it difficult for him to sell puppy chow with his likeness.

Please tell me how to recreate shatner
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Re-creating canon character when the actor is recognizeble (Morn isn't an issue as actor is under such heavy make up as to be utterly unrecognizeble, Kirk on the other is very much recognizeble as either Shatner or Pine) is a can of worms best left unopened, recreating the actor is utterly and totally against the EULA and Term of Service and in a best case scenario would result in the mission being taken down once noticed, worst case scenario is that whole Foundry is permanently taken down.

Seeing as most of us don't want the Foundry to be permanently taken down, I highly dout you'll get advice to do things that might result in that here. Sure with a little patience I could recreate Shatner's likeness but I won't as doing so is not worth the cost.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Re-creating canon character when the actor is recognizeble (Morn isn't an issue as actor is under such heavy make up as to be utterly unrecognizeble, Kirk on the other is very much recognizeble as either Shatner or Pine) is a can of worms best left unopened, recreating the actor is utterly and totally against the EULA and Term of Service and in a best case scenario would result in the mission being taken down once noticed, worst case scenario is that whole Foundry is permanently taken down.

Seeing as most of us don't want the Foundry to be permanently taken down, I highly dout you'll get advice to do things that might result in that here. Sure with a little patience I could recreate Shatner's likeness but I won't as doing so is not worth the cost.

To add to this and yes I know I'm quoting myself you can blame the flacky editing system for that.

Even Cryptic can't use an actor's likeness without their premission that's why canon characters tend to appear only if they got their actor to voice them exception being the TOS cast apart from Kirk, Scotty and Chekov who appear using voice clips from TOS (or in case of Spock earlier from STO) either because the actor is dead or simply didn't want to record new lines.

Shatner recorded no lines nor gave premission to use his likeness so Kirk only appears face down and says nothing and Cryptic was very careful not show anything that could use Shatner's likeness, in case of Scotty new lines were recorded (using the son of the orginal actor) and Walter Koenig recorded new lines and gave premission to use his likeness.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    So, here's a question. Can we use the likenesses of characters specific to TAS? That is, people such as M'Ress or Arex who were never depicted by a filmed actor.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    So, here's a question. Can we use the likenesses of characters specific to TAS? That is, people such as M'Ress or Arex who were never depicted by a filmed actor.

As far as I can tell yes, since the rights for the likeness of M'Ress or Arex are owned by CBS. same way we could depict the Gorn captain from the TOS episode "Arena".

Unless I'm totally wrong it's not depiction of the character that's the issue but rather that can't properly depict the character without using the likeness of the actor which the STO Devs (and foundry authors by extension don't have rights to) but everything else about the character is as far as I know covered in the license given to cryptic, including the apprence of the fully artificial characters.

TL:DR The problem is the actor likeness not character likeness.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

As far as I can tell yes, since the rights for the likeness of M'Ress or Arex are owned by CBS. same way we could depict the Gorn captain from the TOS episode "Arena".

It's a yes for the Gorn captain, no for M'Ress and Arex. While the EULA doesn't prohibit the use characters (separate from an actor's likeness) from Star Trek properties we are not allowed to use content from the animated series by definite omission. Star Trek properties (outside STO) are listed as:
    Star Trek Properties are defined as including:
    • Star Trek - The Original Series
    • Star Trek - The Next Generation
    • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek - Voyager
    • Star Trek - Enterprise
    • Star Trek - The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn
    • Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - Generations
    • Star Trek - First Contact
    • Star Trek - Insurrection
    • Star Trek - Nemesis

New Game Materials may utilize the Star Trek Properties as provided by CBS and Cryptic Studios unless otherwise specified in the Prohibited Section below. You may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties.

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
    • You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
    • You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

With more recent Trek (Discovery and Kelvin) probably being okay through their inclusion in the game itself (to the extent the game depicted that material.) TAS would fall in similar territory as the novels (which I think was produced under license for Paramount by NBC [via Filmation], according to memory alpha.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

It's a yes for the Gorn captain, no for M'Ress and Arex. While the EULA doesn't prohibit the use characters (separate from an actor's likeness) from Star Trek properties we are not allowed to use content from the animated series by definite omission. Star Trek properties (outside STO) are listed as:
    Star Trek Properties are defined as including:
    • Star Trek - The Original Series
    • Star Trek - The Next Generation
    • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek - Voyager
    • Star Trek - Enterprise
    • Star Trek - The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn
    • Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - Generations
    • Star Trek - First Contact
    • Star Trek - Insurrection
    • Star Trek - Nemesis

New Game Materials may utilize the Star Trek Properties as provided by CBS and Cryptic Studios unless otherwise specified in the Prohibited Section below. You may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties.

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
    • You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
    • You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

With more recent Trek (Discovery and Kelvin) probably being okay through their inclusion in the game itself (to the extent the game depicted that material.) TAS would fall in similar territory as the novels (which I think was produced under license for Paramount by NBC [via Filmation], according to memory alpha.)

Thanks for the clarification, I thought TAS was included (it's always been in rather wierd place in the trek canon), still the problem isn't that you wouldn't be able to use character likenesses but rather that TAS itself is outside the license.
This discussion has been closed.