test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Mining Event - How To

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Academy
I thought i would put this together given how many times i saw the phrase "Wheres the Laser" in zone chat. Think that might be the new "Wheres Sulu"

*****Video Tutorial*****

First and foremost you must accept the mission. If you dont and just Transwarp to the location and pick up your suit you may not be able to mine. To accept the mission click your FED or KDF icon near mini map. To begin with you will be on the "Overview" tab that displays events where you can accept the mission from the events calendar or click "Available" tab at the top find the mission "Asteroid Mining" and accept.

Second the asteroid field is in the Beta Ursae sector not in the Bajor system. You can find it on the Beta Ursae sector map to the lower left of DS9. Once at the asteroid base get your suit (if you didnt get one from the Dominion Series) from the ferengi.Make sure to equip it either by Double Click or by slotting in your armour slot. Then you will have new options in your powers tray one of which is a suit. Click it.

Third go to a door and look in the middle right of the screen for the "exit airlock" once outside look at your mini map you should have 5 (Cpt Picard. There are four lights he he he) dotted circles. Find purple crystals in these areas and a mine button will appear.

Finally mining itself. The mini game shows a dilithium vein (pink stream) in rock with a red triangle over it. There is a pinkish triangle that you must match to the outer edge of the red triangle. (using left, right, up and down keys) When you do this 3 lasers will appear in the red triangle. This indicates you are mining. At the top left of the mini game a little progress bar will start to fill and you will get points. The triangle will move location though and you have to reaquire your lock.

You can practise this using the console inside the airlock near the dilithium crystals

Notes:
You dont get a laser in your inventory or at all its in built to the EVA suit

It was my best practise to mine in only one location in each circle

The amount of points you get when drilling is related to your overall score so...

0-25 points = +5 points at a time
25-150 points = +15 points at a time
150-250 points = +20 points at a time
250-400 points = +25 points at a time
400-500 points = +30 points at a time
500-700 points = +35 points at a time
700+ = +40 points at a time.

There may be more but i didn't get any higher and this is only a rough guide from when i was mining may not be exact

I did this and managed to mine perfectly with no bugs, or anything. This is for those unsure on mining.

This is a social map so when not mining you can come jump around or walk the grand asteroid canyon

To those who got the 4/5 and cant mine... I feel for you peeps
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    So where's Sul.... the laser again? :p

joking. Ty for the post as I have not tried this new mission yet.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The problem is if you Hail from the calendar it doesn't give you the mission, but the calendar says it's In Progress.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    uryenserellont - thats the mining event in the Overview tab you need to be on the Available tab. In the available tab you get the mining mission not the event
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I wanted to thank you greatly for this "how to" guide. :) I transwarped to the event, but couldn't mine anything at first...I thought maybe that they were all mined out. :D

Then I saw that I was actually supposed to accept the mission before starting...that made it much easier! lol

So, again, thank you very much! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Your welcome TOSlover..... love the avatar
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I've stickied this and have also made a tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/STOMining) so you can give it out to any players in Zone chat that need a quick link :)

Thanks for making it!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thankyou!!!! giving that long link was awful
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    More than once I would scan a node and get absolutely nothing nor count for the 5 node total (once with an 815 score) but the node would stay active. One node I scanned 3 times in a row before it counted.

Is this by design or a bug? :confused:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    There is a known issue with some of the miners getting only 4/5 mining slots even though they mined 5. This has been reported by PWE_BranFlakes to the QA team

Personally i think it might happen if you mined twice in one circle but thats just a thought
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Angelus214 wrote: »

Personally i think it might happen if you mined twice in one circle but thats just a thought

I don't think that's the case, here. It appears to be a "KDF" thing.

My fed completed the mission and actually mined twice in one circle. The mission still completed just fine.

The 4/5 bug on my KDF toon appeared when I mined the 4th cirlcle, the 5th one disappeared also.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thirdup wrote: »
    The 4/5 bug on my KDF toon appeared when I mined the 4th cirlcle, the 5th one disappeared also.

Well my thoughts are often wrong but I cant stop having them for some reason lol. In the words of Homer Simpson "Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!"
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    How much Dilithium can you get from one of these missions?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    all depends really. From what i understand mining yeilds points and points turn into dilithium think i got 835 dilithium but im not quick on the arrow keys
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I also had the 4/5 issue on my KDF Lethean. Funny how my FED Andorian and FED Trill completed it just fine...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    LucianAlliance i have just one thing to say to you "ill be in my bunk"
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the guide. :)

Perhaps you could include the "Basics of Laser Drilling"?
    ie How to manipulate the Laser targeting triangle.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Perhaps you could include the "Basics of Laser Drilling"?
    ie How to manipulate the Laser targeting triangle.

I found it to be pretty easy with just the arrow keys on your keyboard. It's very responsive that way and (as with the wave scanner mini-game) once you've practiced a few times it's pretty much 100%.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    About the 4/5, it did happened to me. I suspected it had something to do with my inventory that was without empty slots. So I recycled one item and played again. Them it sucessfully completed. I hope this may help those who are facing the same problem.

Edit: Editing just to don't make a new post. The diffrence between suits is really only cosmetic? If that is the case, it seens not worth to pay 350k of dilithium on a item that doesn't give nothing in return (other than it is a bit more shiny) . so, unless it gaves you some advantage, I would suggest cryptic to lower the price of it, because otherwise, almost no one will be going to buy them (okay, there is always those who have no lobes for business and will pay that amount. But it will be VERY feel people).
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Angelus214 wrote: »
    Your welcome TOSlover..... love the avatar

Thank you very much! :) I've been thinking about changing it to something else, though. Not sure what... :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Sadness ... My Klingon doesn't seem able to complete ... Gets the dilithium, however, which I guess is what REALLY matters.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Indeed, although i will admit that the mining minigame itself is rather complicated compared to what appears to be its predecessor, waveform matching. While waveform matching completed the minigame instantly, removing the chance of you accidentally moving out of the matched waveform, i find the mining markers to be a bit tricky to stick to if you try to rush it, and impossible to match if you don't rush it. That being said, i think the best solution would be to 'glue' the triangle to the markers once you've got a match, allowing for faster, safer matching.

Edit: What the heck just happened? Why do i have a clone post?

Edit edit: You can even see they're posted within the same minute, so it's not (intentional, anyway) spam or trolling :confused:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Indeed, although i will admit that the mining minigame itself is rather complicated compared to what appears to be its predecessor, waveform matching. While waveform matching completed the minigame instantly, removing the chance of you accidentally moving out of the matched waveform, i find the mining markers to be a bit tricky to stick to if you try to rush it, and impossible to match if you don't rush it. That being said, i think the best solution would be to 'glue' the triangle to the markers once you've got a match, allowing for faster, safer matching.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I tried it and it seems like a complete waste of time.

The system is tedious and the dilithium results are horrible. Not to mention that theres these things called satellites that mine dilithium in star trek (in the past). I fail to see any reason they would start doing it slowly by hand in the future.

The topic of this post should probably be: "New Mining Event - Why To??"

Sorry, but it is how I and many of the people I talked to while there felt.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ..then how do we get Cryptic to change it? Complain horribly? Does that even work?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    realuniqueone - I can understand your argument but you have to remember this is not a starfleet operation. A ferengi owns the rocks and she may not have the latinum for satellites and as we all know the ferengi are really into NOT parting with there latinum so manpower mining may be cheaper than satellites and as she gets a cut of what you mine then as long as shes happy with her cut why spend money on mining satellites
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    3/5 and cant mine. gg.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Good guide. I know this seems obvious, but it took me a few seconds before I realized that the laser guide moved up and down as well as left or right. Might want to make mention of that in your guide.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    maximus92 wrote: »
    Good guide. I know this seems obvious, but it took me a few seconds before I realized that the laser guide moved up and down as well as left or right. Might want to make mention of that in your guide.
    Isn't that obvious in the minigame HUD?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Angelus214, I found your info helpful on my first Asteroid Mining adventure. Thank you for taking the time to post the primer.

For those wanting an idea of the mission's payoff, here was my mini-game scoring:

Score .... Reward
    165 ......... 40 Dil Ore.
    460 ......... 60 Dil Ore.
    555 ......... 80 Dil Ore and 2x Chronometric Wave Signatures.
    555 ......... 80 Dil Ore and 2x Chronometric Wave Signatures.
    400 ......... 60 Dil Ore.

Total Dilithium Ore won: 320 in about 10mins.

(There were some XP and BO points too, but being VA, I didn't pay it much heed.)

Now that I know what I'm doing, I would be able to do this faster, and likely score higher too. I agree with others that there are other methods of scoring more Dil, but when I compare this to the 480 I get for one of the little "10-15min Eta Eridani Dailies" it seems pretty spot on.

The map looks great, and the "moon walking" (less this, more this) is a hoot. The mission is not for all, but different people might like this sort of game play. I say more power to them, and good on ya Cryptic for offering a new type of mission that isn't about shooting things or clicking 5 of 5 items (Yeah, ok, there are 5/5 in this, but the mini-game adds some "arcade action" value to this).

Thanks for the free Orange EV Suit. It's too bad I'm running out of storage... :o

Overall Score: B
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    1 question... I have spoke to the fed contact and got the mission and told that i have to go to the asteroid belt near bajor... I entered the bajor system, and flew around for about an hour and couldn't find an asteroid field, so were is it?
This discussion has been closed.