test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #2 Discussion Thread

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Foundry Challenge #2 : Temporal Loop
This is the comments thread for Foundry Challenge #2 : Temporal Loop.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    I love a good challenge.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    While on a patrol assignment in the Pi Canis Sector, you intercept a distress call from a planet in a nearby star system. While the message is severely distorted, you can make out enough to know that the situation is dire, and time is of the essence. You order a course change and engage at maximum warp.

As you arrive, you attempt the hail the site that the distress call originated from, but there is no response. As you continuously try to contact the surface, sensors begin picking up a strange anomalies occurring in the core of the planet. Also, warp signatures leaving the system are detected. <blackness> While on a patrol assignment in the Pi Canis Sector, you intercept a distress call from a planet in a nearby star system...

Not again...
    - Engineering this program is rubber banding like a bad LP record. Would you fix the holodeck already?
    Engineer throu combadge
    - Sorry sir the problem is temporary, the fix is coming soon.

End mission.

The foundry lack the tools to pull this off in any remotely convincing manner. The First Cause, Then Effect came close to this, but that glitched a lot, too.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    haven't we done this one already?
    See what I did there? :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Actually time loop groundhog day type mission tech is EXTREMELY easy to do..the trick is making the solution, and cause story interesting. :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    chooch99 wrote: »
    Actually time loop groundhog day type mission tech is EXTREMELY easy to do..the trick is making the solution, and cause story interesting. :cool:

Duplicate Map

The hard part is keeping track of your story.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    At least since these challenges are mandated to be so short I don't have to worry about devoting any time to them.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    "Captain, I need you to return to sickbay for your physical..."
    REPLY: "Doc, can it wait?"
    --

"I don't need you to finish your physical... I need to discuss the results."
    REPLY: "But you said we weren't finished."
    --

"The ship's computer was processing your cellular scans up until you were called back to the bridge.

Apparently we already did finish.

And the 2,044 other times that we've done the same exam before this..."

--

How would you reply? :eek:

Actually, don't answer that! Just find new and unique ways to tell your time travel story! I know I'm looking forward to playing them!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Mikey likes it.

Probably going to focus on my own current projects, but if I go insane I have had an idea for a Barclay scenario with a time hiccup. Good luck and have fun all you authors taking part.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Teaser!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    This challenge should really bring out some awesome missions.

The hardest part is making a mission that isn't gonig to confuse half the players out there.
    Get ready to see some 1 or 2 stars based om, 'Too confusing' or 'Didn't know what was going on.'
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The best review will be:

Your mission is buged, had to do the same thing over and over again! Fix, 1 Star. Tip 50.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    There is a way to do it. You simply [puts hand over paper]. See, that simple! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Actually, I have a question regarding the story lead-in we're given to work with.

"While on a patrol assignment in the Pi Canis Sector, you intercept a distress call from a planet in a nearby star system. While the message is severely distorted, you can make out enough to know that the situation is dire, and time is of the essence. You order a course change and engage at maximum warp.
    <blackness> While on a patrol assignment in the Pi Canis Sector, you intercept a distress call from a planet in a nearby star system...
    "

Does this mean that every "loop iteration" in our story has to start in Pi Canis? As opposed to just at the "nearby planet"? Are we allowed wiggle room there?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think we can wiggle all we want, as long as the mission starts within Pi Canis, or takes us there, and as long as there some sort of time loop within the plot.

The more unique the better I think. It will give each mission within the challenge something unique.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    SBCouto wrote: »
    The best review will be:

Your mission is buged, had to do the same thing over and over again! Fix, 1 Star. Tip 50.

This is for real. I have a mission with a temporal twist at the end. Got three 1 star reviews complaining about glitching and an ending that made no sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think we can wiggle all we want, as long as the mission starts within Pi Canis, or takes us there, and as long as there some sort of time loop within the plot.

The more unique the better I think. It will give each mission within the challenge something unique.

I was thinking of having two people say, "Hello Captain" at two different parts of the mission. After the second, I'd have a BOff say, "Woah. Deja'vu-ish!"

Time loop complete. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I was thinking of having two people say, "Hello Captain" at two different parts of the mission. After the second, I'd have a BOff say, "Woah. Deja'vu-ish!"

Time loop complete. :p

You find out that it was those two people in a time loop, your ship and crew never was. Your mission just intersects their unending looping by complete chance.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I like the challenge this time.

Mainly because I am more than curious how each participant will try to pull this off, there are LOTS of possiblities from scientific hard-core TT up to pure comedy.

But it's also an interesting challenge I might accept over the holidays myself. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I was hoping for a "Caption This!" contest with that screencap...

"Damn, I locked my keys in the shuttlecraft!"
    "Now where did I park MY shuttle?"
    "All of these NPCs, er... shuttlecraft have the same registry. Which one is mine again?"
    "I'm making a midnight beer run... care to join me?"
    "My commanding officer is gonna KILL me for being out after curfew!"
    "Who left all of these shuttlecraft engines on?!"
    "If I make a dash for the boys' dorm rooms, I can be there in 23.9 seconds. But then there's that Horta R.A. to deal with... I'm not getting burned again like the last time."

and lastly...
    "I'm about to fly this shuttlecraft... but I have the oddest sense of deja vu. Like I've done this before. And before that. And before that..." ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Tucana wrote:
    I was hoping for a "Caption This!" contest with that screencap...

"Damn, I locked my keys in the shuttlecraft!"
    "Now where did I park MY shuttle?"
    "All of these NPCs, er... shuttlecraft have the same registry. Which one is mine again?"
    "I'm making a midnight beer run... care to join me?"
    "My commanding officer is gonna KILL me for being out after curfew!"
    "Who left all of these shuttlecraft engines on?!"
    "If I make a dash for the boys' dorm rooms, I can be there in 23.9 seconds. But then there's that Horta R.A. to deal with... I'm not getting burned again like the last time."

and lastly...
    "I'm about to fly this shuttlecraft... but I have the oddest sense of deja vu. Like I've done this before. And before that. And before that..." ;)

My caption idea:
    'Someone locked their Mugato in the shuttle and didn't even roll down the window any!'
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Caption:
    'I knew I shouldn't have fed my Mugato beans...'
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't know about the other authors, but I'd easily give up the winning 500 c-points for a decent reward for my winning mission (if of course I was to win).

Just wondering how many others feel the same?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't know about the other authors, but I'd easily give up the winning 500 c-points for a decent reward for my winning mission (if of course I was to win).

Just wondering how many others feel the same?

My suggestion:
    1. Special "Author" forum title, Current/Next Grab Bag Ship, 10,000 Dilithium, and Four Free Foundry Slots
    2. 5,000 Dilithium and Two Free Foundry Slots
    3. 1,000 Dilithium and One Free Foundry Slot

Also, top three become the "featured" foundry missions until the end of the next competition.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Actually, I'd think that getting a free Foundry slot or two should come with being one of the top three picks, specifically so that the winners could keep that mission up forever-and-ever for posterity's sake without having to shell out more money/dilithuim later for an extra slots to replace the one the mission'd be taking up. Just my two cents on it.

I had another question, tho. If you were to make a version of the mission you'd want to enter for both factions, and thus essentially had two "different" missions for the sake of dialog/actually making it a valid mission for that faction, would that mean that voting for either version of the mission would go to just one big vote "pile" for that author?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Actually, I'd think that getting a free Foundry slot or two should come with being one of the top three picks, specifically so that the winners could keep that mission up forever-and-ever for posterity's sake without having to shell out more money/dilithuim later for an extra slots to replace the one the mission'd be taking up. Just my two cents on it.

I had another question, tho. If you were to make a version of the mission you'd want to enter for both factions, and thus essentially had two "different" missions for the sake of dialog/actually making it a valid mission for that faction, would that mean that voting for either version of the mission would go to just one big vote "pile" for that author?

For the actual contest, you can only submit one entry. You have to choose your faction. You could make another mission using the other faction, but only one could be considered when voting.

I think the main reason for this is because it's hard enough for a lot of people to play through all the missions. The last one had ten missions for voting with only one week. That means you had to do two missiona day almost to play them all. And that was only ten missions. I have a feeling we'll have more than that this tie round.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You know, maybe my opinion doesn't really matter since I'm not willing to abide by the challenge's rules, but I think this challenge is still too narrow. Why is it a temporal loop in Pi Canis?

I think it would be better if it was a mission that involved a temporal anomaly (loop, etc) in any location. I don't see why the challenge can't be very broad, just dealing with a certain topic or species. There's no need to assign a specific location in my opinion.

Or if a specific location is assigned then that in itself would be the challenge. (Ex: Make a mission in Pi Canis).
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nagorak wrote: »
    You know, maybe my opinion doesn't really matter since I'm not willing to abide by the challenge's rules, but I think this challenge is still too narrow. Why is it a temporal loop in Pi Canis?

I think it would be better if it was a mission that involved a temporal anomaly (loop, etc) in any location. I don't see why the challenge can't be very broad, just dealing with a certain topic or species. There's no need to assign a specific location in my opinion.

Or if a specific location is assigned then that in itself would be the challenge. (Ex: Make a mission in Pi Canis).

I agree with this whole-heartedly. I don't really see much of a difference in terms of restrictions between Challenge #1 and Challenge #2. I think what we would like to see is Challenge #3 be something along the lines of "create a mission based around X concept" or "create a mission involving Y species" or even "use this new custom W species we just thought up in our heads to drive a mission involving diplomacy".

I think the players get a little bored having to play the same mission over and over when they are reviewing possible submissions. Not saying every mission is the same, but for Challenge #1, everyone had the same basic idea and there were just differences in the details. It sorta was like playing the same mission over and over, just in different universes.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nagorak wrote: »

The one good thing about the 'Pi Canis' rule is that all the missions will be relatively close to each other to play. This may end up being another 2-3 missions a day to finish them all so it's nice to have them all close to each other. I think Pi Canis was chosen however, because both factions can use that map.

I can see your point though. I think Bran likes writing up the little entry blurbs though and I can't blame him for that too. Again though, I think you can work around the Pi Canis thing and still keep it within the challenge limits. In the end, it's only an entry point for the start of the game. It can go anywhere after that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Maziken wrote:
    I agree with this whole-heartedly. I don't really see much of a difference in terms of restrictions between Challenge #1 and Challenge #2. I think what we would like to see is Challenge #3 be something along the lines of "create a mission based around X concept" or "create a mission involving Y species" or even "use this new custom W species we just thought up in our heads to drive a mission involving diplomacy".

I think the players get a little bored having to play the same mission over and over when they are reviewing possible submissions. Not saying every mission is the same, but for Challenge #1, everyone had the same basic idea and there were just differences in the details. It sorta was like playing the same mission over and over, just in different universes.

Maybe we should do an impromptu contest within this forum thread for who can create a the best new alien for the next challenge. No voting- Bran would just choose the one he likes the most or the one that suits his next idea the closest.

Design the alien and then give simple species characteristics like:
    Peaceful, Eating is a religion for them, don't use transporters. Just a few key points about them.

What do people think? Create a new standard alien for the Star Trek Online Universe.