test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upcoming Changes to the Tribble and RedShirt Test Servers

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi Captains,

We wanted to let you all in on a change that will be made to the Tribble and RedShirt test servers. On Monday, January 9th, we plan to take these test shards offline. RedShirt will remain offline, but Tribble will return later in the day. The Tribble database will be wiped and the shard will return in a complete clean state. This means that all characters, Foundry productions, and other player data will be removed from the Tribble test server, and will not be recoverable. If you currently have a Foundry mission on Tribble that you need to save work from, please do so before the weekend is over, as once this server comes down, we will be unable to recover any lost data.

Tribble will also return to being a normal test server. Over the past 3 months, Tribble has been an isolated environment with its own C-Store and purchases and this was done for Season 5 testing. Going forward, it will return to being tied to the Holodeck environment, having no C-Store, and honoring purchased unlocks made on Holodeck. In other words, it will be just like it was prior to the start of Season 5 testing.

Lastly, we would truly like to thank all of our dedicated players who spent countless hours testing the latest builds and providing feedback -- we could not have done it without you.

Thank you,

The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Why do we need other test servers at all when you guys continue to use Holodeck as a test server?

Edit: I'd really love a straight forward answer to that. It's a question I'm sure a lot are interested in knowing the answer to.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    More to the point, why wasn't redshirt taken down earlier? After all, Redshirt was only created for closed Beta testing, which "ended" nearly 2 years ago.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    redshirt has been used an internal test server since beta by cryptic and likely will be returning to that purpse.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sweet.... means that'll free up 10 Gigs on my computer :D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    JCSWW wrote: »
    Why do we need other test servers at all when you guys continue to use Holodeck as a test server?

Edit: I'd really love a straight forward answer to that. It's a question I'm sure a lot are interested in knowing the answer to.
    Show me a bug-free MMO, and I'll show you a pig with wings.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Obsidius wrote: »
    Show me a bug-free MMO, and I'll show you a pig with wings.

I didn't suggest it had to be bug free. However, we seemed to be plagued by way more bugs than the normal MMO and saying "way more" is understating it a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Anyone who wants to get JC back after all this goading, drop on by our weekend pvp event!
    2PM EST every Saturday and Sunday, organized via the chat channel "TFBB". :D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    As far as I know, we're still on break with no events for this weekend. If there's demend, I'm fine with getting something going. Voting will return next week for next weeks events.

Just a reminder, the TFBB is a PvP event for anyone who doesn't take it seriously. We are not restricted by fleet, and everyone is welcome. 2PM ET Saturday's and Sunday's are when we roll. We use our own chat channel, which you can find the link to setup in my sig.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I didn't suggest it had to be bug free. However, we seemed to be plagued by way more bugs than the normal MMO and saying "way more" is understating it a lot.

I would recommend doing a comparative analysis, because I disagree. Even WoW and TOR have huge numbers of bugs; the STO community may just seem to be more concentrated, so people tend to see more of it. "More posts" doesn't necessarily mean "more bugs", after all.

No MMO ever truly goes out of "beta", as the actual definition of the development state is defined as. Test servers exist for SPECIFIC testing purposes, but you will never find everything. An opt-in testing program means you'll only get people who want to do such things, and even then you'll get a lot of guys who only use it as some kind of "demo" for future content, and are not actually TESTING. As such, a testing server can make sure that the code is not catastrophically broken, but smaller things will never show up until everyone is playing in their myriad ways.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    videm wrote:
    redshirt has been used an internal test server since beta by cryptic and likely will be returning to that purpse.

I don't know where people get this idea. LOL
    Redshirt is a sometimes server, but we certainly can't and don't depend on it for our testing here. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Redshirt is a sometimes server, but we certainly can't and don't depend on it for our testing here. :)

Wasn't one of your internal test servers called Redshirt at some point? Most likely not the same hardware we have been using as Redshirt, the name was simply borrowed for referring to the second Public Test Server?
  • Options
    edited January 2012

It goes back to the original Foundry Closed beta of November/December 2010 (I'm sure you of all people remember those days ;)).

When we asked what 'Redshirt' was - the official answer was - "One of our internal test servers..." :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Is it just me or is RedShirt and Tribble gone? They don't appear on my launcher anymore.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    hort_wort wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to get JC back after all this goading, drop on by our weekend pvp event!
    2PM EST every Saturday and Sunday, organized via the chat channel "TFBB". :D

ROFL I'll be there. Are you sure your a toucan and not a well... don-khey?

rlly I ked
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Not really. Total over-exaggeration.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Comments like this make me wonder why some people play MMO's to begin with. Its illogical to think that a massive game like an MMO can be changed or updated without sometime things going wrong. Do things sometimes take longer to fix than you would like yes that happens. But things are fixed as soon as they can make it happen. Just calm down play and enjoy yourself realize sometimes something may not be perfect but Ive never encountered a game breaking bug that prevented me from playing and enjoying myself. I have 19 toons and have played since Beta so surely I would have by now if there was one to be had.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    madjik wrote: »
    Not really. Total over-exaggeration.

I disagree! Some of you are just way too easy to please!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wasn't one of your internal test servers called Redshirt at some point? Most likely not the same hardware we have been using as Redshirt, the name was simply borrowed for referring to the second Public Test Server?

think that was tribble before the f2p build surfaced
  • Options
    edited January 2012

As I recall it was mentioned that RedShirt was the secret, invite only, internal test shard of STO on an early episode of STOked. It was also mentioned that players who contribute tons to testing on Tribble, and really good useful ideas for the game in general, could and did get invited to help test on the RedShirt hidden shard.

Sorry if I threw you under the bus J-Man. *must find camo to help mitigate potential know-it-all faux paux*

I think I remember DStahl alluding to that much in the past as well...

But as one of the QA folks back then you would know far better than I. I'm just saying where I got the notion from... *best Tommy Flanagan impersonation* Yeah that's the ticket.
    Kerayu wrote:
    think that was tribble before the f2p build surfaced

Tribble has always been the public test server.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    will we be able to get tokens for gear earned on tribble for new STF sets
    if we can't copy over

there is one VA i did copy from deck to tribble I am about to 45 I did get maco Mark 11 shield and honor gaurd

and that sucks because I have 14 chips going to be lost instead of using towards a new Borg duty officer
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hi Captains,

Maintenance is now complete and RedShirt is offline. The team has decided to leave Tribble in its current form, for now -- there are no longer going to be any character or UGC wipes, and the test C-Store will remain online.

Thanks for your patience and happy Tribbleing!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Errrrrr, Yes but nooooooo! I blew all my tribble c-points needlessly.:mad: :D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Now that Redshirt is no more will the launcher "delete" it from my harddrive or do i have to do it manually - and if so is it the directory called Beta or Playtest that I need to delete?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ved_x wrote:
    Now that Redshirt is no more will the launcher "delete" it from my harddrive or do i have to do it manually - and if so is it the directory called Beta or Playtest that I need to delete?

It will not delete it automatically -- it's the "Beta" folder you want to remove. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It will not delete it automatically -- it's the "Beta" folder you want to remove. :)

Thanks, that was exactly the thing I wanted too ask. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    i would like thee toons i built on tribble if it possible.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hi Captains,

Maintenance is now complete and RedShirt is offline. The team has decided to leave Tribble in its current form, for now -- there are no longer going to be any character or UGC wipes, and the test C-Store will remain online.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

we had only fleet on that serve with 2 billion plus in EC and maxed out on data sample all for it to be taken awy we worked our rears off --- Borg S.O.G --- would of been nice if they would of carried that over to tribble
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It would be nice if we could have the same C-store in Tribble as in Holodeck. I'd luv to buy 300 additional duff spaces on Tribble. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Have you any idea how many bugs are found and reported on Tribble?

Are you also aware that just because something is reported, it does not mean developers can instantly fix it. As a developer myself I can tell you that sometimes its even best to wait a little longer, for more bug reports to come in, before spending time trying to determine if a user is just a complete pain in the rear or has found a bug.

Users often do not provide anywhere near enough information so the system provides it, looking over that data takes a lot of time and it still doesn't fix the issue.

It all takes time and they do fix bugs in every patch. Software of all kinds will always have bugs, accept it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

But I Iz on it now according to my machine... after moving around 12 Gigs of data >.< So if its offline.. why did it patch me and put me on?
This discussion has been closed.