test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DOFF name/trait/specialization combinations NOT UNIQUE??

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited December 2011 in Duty Officer System and R&D
Hmm, so I'm going through the exchange to try to sell DOFFs and I look up in the BUY section the name of a DOFF I have only to find a DOFF with the same name but completely different specialization and traits? WTF?? Seriously? Shouldn't DOFFs with the same name actually be THE SAME DOFF? That is shouldn't they have exactly the same specs (specialization & traits)? If not, how would I have any clue what to sell my DOFF for in the exchange? With any other item you can look it up exactly and find out what others are selling it for. But if I look up Rufa (Shield Distribution, FF, Honorable, Stubborn) and come up with Rufa (Explosives Expert, Aggressive, FF, Stubborn), I have no idea what to price my DOFF at because it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DOFF with the same name. Explain to me how this makes ANY sense... I assume there are enough random Star Trek names in the database that there could be a nearly infinite number of DOFFs with different names and still have Name/Specialization/Trait combinations be UNIQUE...

Aughh... Again, with the insanely complex and bordering on nonsensical functionality...

I just don't get this. If I tell a friend, I really like DOFF named X (Mayk - Quartermaster, for example), and that they should go buy one because it will help them with engineering missions or with trade missions, and so they go look up a DOFF named Mayk, buy it only to find out it's an armory officer with no skills remotely related to trade or engineering, my friend would think I was a stupid TRIBBLE for recommending that guy that has nothing to do with what he wants to accomplish and made him waste a DOFF slot.

Seriously, the BOFF/DOFF system needs a renaissance/reformation so it starts making sense. Other than rarity differences, you can look up other items in the exchange and know EXACTLY what you're getting and that it will be EXACTLY the same for others you tell to go buy it. Why are DOFFs not the same way? They should really be standardized so there's some modicum of non-random sensibility.

[/End another frustrated rant...]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    MGmirkin wrote:
    Hmm, so I'm going through the exchange to try to sell DOFFs and I look up in the BUY section the name of a DOFF I have only to find a DOFF with the same name but completely different specialization and traits? WTF?? Seriously? Shouldn't DOFFs with the same name actually be THE SAME DOFF? That is shouldn't they have exactly the same specs (specialization & traits)? If not, how would I have any clue what to sell my DOFF for in the exchange? With any other item you can look it up exactly and find out what others are selling it for. But if I look up Rufa (Shield Distribution, FF, Honorable, Stubborn) and come up with Rufa (Explosives Expert, Aggressive, FF, Stubborn), I have no idea what to price my DOFF at because it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DOFF with the same name. Explain to me how this makes ANY sense... I assume there are enough random Star Trek names in the database that there could be a nearly infinite number of DOFFs with different names and still have Name/Specialization/Trait combinations be UNIQUE...

Aughh... Again, with the insanely complex and bordering on nonsensical functionality...

I just don't get this. If I tell a friend, I really like DOFF named X (Mayk - Quartermaster, for example), and that they should go buy one because it will help them with engineering missions or with trade missions, and so they go look up a DOFF named Mayk, buy it only to find out it's an armory officer with no skills remotely related to trade or engineering, my friend would think I was a stupid TRIBBLE for recommending that guy that has nothing to do with what he wants to accomplish and made him waste a DOFF slot.

Seriously, the BOFF/DOFF system needs a renaissance/reformation so it starts making sense. Other than rarity differences, you can look up other items in the exchange and know EXACTLY what you're getting and that it will be EXACTLY the same for others you tell to go buy it. Why are DOFFs not the same way? They should really be standardized so there's some modicum of non-random sensibility.

[/End another frustrated rant...]

Unfortunately there are only so many names you can put into the game to name everyone. Just like you see ships named the same in game you are going to get duplicates in the DOFF system.....
    Remember even in real life you have duplicated manes ...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    John Smith in NYC acts the same/ has the same job/etc as John smith in England?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most of the white/green Doff's are randomly generated with random traits.. all searching by name does is narrows the field to look through.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised they don't handle duty officers like they did bridge officers at the very least. It's a step backwards in my opinion. Would it be that difficult to have the officers named in the exchange based on their profession? This would make searching worlds easier for anyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are working on seeing if we can find a way to allow searching by specialization on the Exchange. It is a known issue.