test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ranking to Tier Four, what's the point?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited December 2011 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I mean, I understand you get a neat title and a free purple duty officer that might give you some nice passive abilities, but it seems like the other categories pale in comparison to the rewards you get for the diplomatic tier (purple enemy faction officer, four transwarp powers, and the ability to enter enemy space).

It would be nice if each tier could reward something nice and unique.

For instance, maybe the first three tiers of espionage could award you a permanent personal and or ship holoemitter device and each tier unlocks a new faction (Klingon, Romulan, and finally Cardassian) for the device, maybe with some active ability to get enemy NPC's that have not engaged you to ignore you for thirty seconds so you can sneak past them.

Maybe the engineering accolade could award some kind of ship device that works like the red-matter capacitor or gives you some similar power (say a burst of speed to the engines).

The duty officer system is kind of a fun little side game at the moment, but it has a huge amount of unrealized potential.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    The design has always been to have a more robust reward schema for the other commendation categories. As we have time and resources, the plan is to fill these out more thoroughly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, if you need any ideas, I am sure people here can brainstorm some good ones. :D

Maybe a chief medical officer could get one of these:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8996/crusherzap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sakarak wrote:
    Well, if you need any ideas, I am sure people here can brainstorm some good ones. :D

Maybe a chief medical officer could get one of these:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8996/crusherzap.gif

To "which ones of these" were you referring to:
    • Electric Blue Discharge
    • Jeweler's hat
    • Bio Bed
    • Lt Jg Worf

:) Yes, it would be nice to have some other unlocks. Chief Engineer could unlock a "scotty" clone BOff or something like that.

Matt
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    :) Yes, it would be nice to have some other unlocks. Chief Engineer could unlock a "scotty" clone BOff or something like that.

I was actually thinking about a Scotty EEH (Emergency Engineering Hologram) you could put in a device slot that would give you a boost of speed and trigger the audio: I'm giving her all she's got Captain!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sakarak wrote:
    I was actually thinking about a Scotty EEH (Emergency Engineering Hologram) you could put in a device slot that would give you a boost of speed and trigger the audio: I'm giving her all she's got Captain!
    That would be Impressively Awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sakarak wrote:

I still want the "/spock" space emote, which makes your ship fire a black torpedo while bagpipes play in the background.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I still want the "/spock" space emote, which makes your ship fire a black torpedo while bagpipes play in the background.

yes thats what STO needs kilts pipes and if were realy lucky drums

hell lest with kilts we can do a scottish carwash
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally I think the doff system would be a good way to add unlockable shipboard functions. Have each category unlock something at tier 3, and then improve it at tier 4 (or even unlock at tier 2 and improve in more steps). Some ideas (I posted a list before, but this one's adjusted):

Science: Crafting, tier 4 could add special crafting (Like the Defera borg stuff)
    Engineering: Ship injury NPC. Tier 3 could have higher cost, or tier 4 could be required for critical injuries
    Military: Ship Armory - limited space equipment storage (8/16 slots - enough to store an alternate weapon loadout, some universal consoles, or sets)
    Exploration: Astrometrics Lab - tier 3 just lets you see the flavor text that pops up when you're near a system, tier 4 adding transwarp-for-EC like mission replay has
    Espionage: Ground Armory - limited ground equipment storage, see Military
    Medical: Ground injury NPC, see Engineering
    Colonial: Cargo Bay - limited commodity storage (8/16 slots - would allow tier 3 captains to keep the high demand commodities on board without taking inventory or bank space, and tier 4 captains to free them from inventory entirely)
    Trade: industrial replicator that gives lower prices on all standard commodities (lower than the ship's replicator, but higher than "good" vendors), tier 4 could reduce prices or even add a communications console to contact a black market contact that sells contraband for latinum.
    Development: Not really sure what to do with development, possibly just miscellaneous services like tailor, mail, and bank - I know you don't want to move too many starbase functions ship side, but I don't think these three would hurt more than help
    Recruitment: Slightly adjusted shipboard recruitment assignments ("Crew Transfer Requests") - doffs at tier 3, boffs at tier 4. Could be given disadvantages like smaller cadres or longer timers compared to counter the convenience.

The whole point of the doff system is improving the crew of your ship. Something along these lines would let you improve your ship while you're at it, fostering the idea that the ship is the crew and not just the thing the crew is taking up space in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hevach wrote: »
    Personally I think the doff system would be a good way to add unlockable shipboard functions. Have each category unlock something at tier 3, and then improve it at tier 4 (or even unlock at tier 2 and improve in more steps). Some ideas (I posted a list before, but this one's adjusted):

Science: Crafting, tier 4 could add special crafting (Like the Defera borg stuff)
    Engineering: Ship injury NPC. Tier 3 could have higher cost, or tier 4 could be required for critical injuries
    Military: Ship Armory - limited space equipment storage (8/16 slots - enough to store an alternate weapon loadout, some universal consoles, or sets)
    Exploration: Astrometrics Lab - tier 3 just lets you see the flavor text that pops up when you're near a system, tier 4 adding transwarp-for-EC like mission replay has
    Espionage: Ground Armory - limited ground equipment storage, see Military
    Medical: Ground injury NPC, see Engineering
    Colonial: Cargo Bay - limited commodity storage (8/16 slots - would allow tier 3 captains to keep the high demand commodities on board without taking inventory or bank space, and tier 4 captains to free them from inventory entirely)
    Trade: industrial replicator that gives lower prices on all standard commodities (lower than the ship's replicator, but higher than "good" vendors), tier 4 could reduce prices or even add a communications console to contact a black market contact that sells contraband for latinum.
    Development: Not really sure what to do with development, possibly just miscellaneous services like tailor, mail, and bank - I know you don't want to move too many starbase functions ship side, but I don't think these three would hurt more than help
    Recruitment: Slightly adjusted shipboard recruitment assignments ("Crew Transfer Requests") - doffs at tier 3, boffs at tier 4. Could be given disadvantages like smaller cadres or longer timers compared to counter the convenience.

The whole point of the doff system is improving the crew of your ship. Something along these lines would let you improve your ship while you're at it, fostering the idea that the ship is the crew and not just the thing the crew is taking up space in.

I think a heal ship/personal critical injury power with a certain cooldown would be a good t-4 power to unlock for chief engineer and chief medical officer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    qultar wrote: »
    yes thats what STO needs kilts pipes and if were realy lucky drums

hell lest with kilts we can do a scottish carwash

ROFLOL :D

+1

Regards,
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sakarak wrote:
    You Can't Change the Laws of Physics! may be a better quote to use...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll resurrect an old suggestion: Quantum Slipstream. Could we make it so that perhaps Engineering makes it more useful over time?

I had originally suggested that the slipstream level with you as you go up through the admiral ranks. For instance starting with the standard speed, and ability to cross a single sector, then maybe increasing the speed slightly and duration, so you could cross two sectors more quickly, then increasing the speed and duration slightly so you could more quickly and completely cross an entire sector BLOCK on a single Slipstream 'charge'. And/or possibly reducing the recharge time between? Slipstream is currently 'okay' for very short jumps but useless for really "getting anywhere quickly." It just doesn't last long enough or go fast enough.

It would be nice is maybe leveling up engineering either decreased recharge times for slips stream or increased speed & duration making it more useful for crossing large volumes of space. Maybe at the highest level you get the ability to simply click on an adjacent sector block on your map and get to move there immediately rather than having to schlep all the way across the sector block to get there. Y'know, just make navigating around a bit more efficient.

Though, I still think it should just be an admiral ability, since you only get slipstream once you're an admiral anyway, so I still think it should just level in effectiveness with you through admiral ranks. So maybe some other engineering bonus as you level up your engineering XP. Faster power transfers? Better shield or weapons performance? Faster recharge times? I dunno. Something engineering related... ;)