What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleets Unite - Bringing attention to Fleet development

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Great... Ill add your name to the post in question, like with the other people, who have helped me keep this thread alive :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    anazonda wrote: »
    So... While talking to my fleet mates, I got this cool idea:

"Bind to Fleet"

Here is how it would work:

I decide, that 500 of my emblems have to go to gear I want to dedicate to my fleet. As it is right now I can do that, but only one person would benefit from it, as the gear is Bind on Equip.

The idea is that I and others who have the privilege can assign items as "Bind to Fleet". When this action is taken, the items in question would be tied to the fleet.
    Then when someone picks it up, the item is usable on his ship/char, but can not be sold or traded, so the only option for the player, when he gets new stuff is to put it back into the bank.

Now... should he leave the fleet, or delete his char, these items would automatically return to the fleet owning them.

There would also be the need for a option saying "Borrow for X days" and "can not be borrowed again until after X days" where a global period for all items are set, until they automatically return to the fleet, so that people will still have to focus on getting their own items rather than keeping the fleets items.

Good idea? Bad? Let me know your thoughts.

We think this is a great idea and supports it.

However it shouldn't just be Emblems, we should be able to deposit ant form of in game currency in to the fleet bank. Be it Marks of Exploration, Marks of Honor, Marks of Valor, Medals of Commendation, Medals of Bravery, Medals of Achievement, Badges of Exploration, Starfleet Merits, Gold Pressed Latinum etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Simale wrote:
    We think this is a great idea and supports it.

However it shouldn't just be Emblems, we should be able to deposit ant form of in game currency in to the fleet bank. Be it Marks of Exploration, Marks of Honor, Marks of Valor, Medals of Commendation, Medals of Bravery, Medals of Achievement, Badges of Exploration, Starfleet Merits, Gold Pressed Latinum etc.

Agreed, exactly the same way Energy Credits are used in the fleet bank, so you can tailor the withdraw amounts to match each fleet rank.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    One think I just remembered was a fleet roster of "who is online between Alliance Fleets"

For the larger fleets that have 2 or 3 divisions in order to keep under the fleet cap and us smaller fleets that have a second sister fleet and the Klingon fleet. We never know when our members are on their Klingon Character or not in the game unless we "friend" everyone. And to be honest most won't accept my friend invite ;)

I am assuming this will be most useful between fleet alliances and territorial control. This is why this information shared to our website and guild site will help us to display who is in-game and we can check there before coming in game :

Don't forget to add:

TOS Veterans Fleet
    TOS Qan Mang Fleet
    TNG Veterans Fleet
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I would love to see a better Fleet Activity tab. We don't need to know that member X has trained their BO.

I would like to see the member's name (with @ tag) and what they've done.

Also, has anyone created that Fleet Leaders chat channel yet? If not, I could always do it and invite people...
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Akalayus wrote:
    I would love to see a better Fleet Activity tab. We don't need to know that member X has trained their BO.

I would like to see the member's name (with @ tag) and what they've done.

Also, has anyone created that Fleet Leaders chat channel yet? If not, I could always do it and invite people...

I started a thread asking if people would like a fleet leaders chat channel or if there was one already in existance, but the thread had hardly any replies.

I would like a leaders channel for the following reasons:

1, Organise interfleet pvp matches
    2, Organise interfleet role play events
    3, General interfleet chat
    4, organising aliances

I will see if I can re start the thread again, it will be in this forum (general comunity) link bellow

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=225179
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I agree with the fleet activites tab and the fleet leaders chat. I think its a brilliant idea. I belong to a Gaming Community and have recently started forming alliances with other like minded fleets (one of which is the -DES- Double Edge Sword Fleet). We definitely need some tools for fleet developments.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Bind to fleet: brilliant!

The only issue would be the return of an item if a player left the fleet. I suspect that would be technically difficult to perform. Other than that, great idea!
    Simale wrote:

Multiple currencies, yes!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Felderburg wrote: »
    Bind to fleet: brilliant!

The only issue would be the return of an item if a player left the fleet. I suspect that would be technically difficult to perform. Other than that, great idea!

The issue of returning stuff to former fleet shouldn bee that difficult. As all movement is initially recorded untill deleted from the log, it's simply a matter of checking for the previous fleet and returning items on change... somthing that runs when the leave fleet command is run, like:

If ($fleetVar == "EMPTY"){

$formerFleet == "QueryToRequestLogOnLastPlayerFleet":

for($itemSlot=0;$itemSlot=>[shipSlotsTotal-1];$itemSlot++){

if($slottedItem[$itemSlot]($bindStatus) == "BindToFleet"){
    moveItemToFleetBank($FleetNameResultFrom$formerFleetQuery($slottedItem[$itemSlot]));
    }

$itemSlot++
    }

}

The above is a somewhat clumsy example of how this could be implemented trough OOP, provided they have a function called MoveItemToFleetBank. Obviously since I dont know the code of the game, and the above takes PHP as the programming language, they cant just move this code fragment into the game and poof make it magically work, but it is somewhat how it could work.

Basically it would simply run trough each seperate slot on a ship, and if it found a item wich has the attribute "BindToFleet", and moved it to the last know fleet, the PC was member of.

The function is only run when the player leaves a fleet, effectively ruling out random mishaps, and items being moved to the wrong fleet.

Its clumsy I know... it's been a while since I've actually been working with coding... now i might get back into it :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The above is a somewhat clumsy example of how this could be implemented trough OOP, provided they have a function called MoveItemToFleetBank. Obviously since I dont know the code of the game, and the above takes PHP as the programming language, they cant just move this code fragment into the game and poof make it magically work, but it is somewhat how it could work.

Basically it would simply run trough each seperate slot on a ship, and if it found a item wich has the attribute "BindToFleet", and moved it to the last know fleet, the PC was member of.

The function is only run when the player leaves a fleet, effectively ruling out random mishaps, and items being moved to the wrong fleet.

Its clumsy I know... it's been a while since I've actually been working with coding... now i might get back into it :)

You sir are a genius!! I actually had no idea if it were even possible. It is nice to hear it from someone that knows this stuff. Most appreciated.

I still think that the other option of having the fleet uniform return to the default fleet uniform if you don’t have the C-Store item unlocked would work as well. Simply setting up the “Unlocked Uniform” and a “Default Uniform” and the visuals would show up accordingly. Or even better it always shows up as the “Unlocked Uniform” and you are given an option to purchase the item at the C-Store if you wish but if you don’t the “Fleet Uniform” will just reset to the “Default Uniform” when you choose it from the tailor.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    In terms of computers, everything is a mere matter of programming / coding. But you always have to evaluate if any single thing is worth the current development. The C-Store uniform solution and the BindToFleet by their own do not warrant focused development, but if a major overhaul to fleets were to happen, it would be more than suficcient reason to allow for development of theese.

Another reason to collect as many ideas as possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Yes for sure! I think it is wise to throw around all options and filtering them with our own knowledgebase. I am hoping the season 5 will be for the fleets but I am not sure :) So if they are going to give is some attention then it may be a good idea to have some of these suggestions put into the mix. Even rewards for missions and fleet competitions can be given out and bound to the fleet. If someone decides to leave the fleet then we would get them all back.

I can only imagine opening up the Fleet vault to find it full of 2265 Federation Type 3 Phaser Rifle for a fleet action ;)

You are still a genius!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Jolan'Tru

The Imperial Romulan Fleet backs this initiative %100. It would be great to have more fleet oriented development. Thanks for creating this thread!

@Arcadis15
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Zion Fleet endorses and supports this action and encourages any like minded fleet Admirals to make contact. Contact information can be obtained through our website in the "About us" page or contact @777Sandman.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think it would be nice if we found our ahead of time what and how they are going to be charging for the Fleet Spacestations.

Is anyone else excited about the design or size of the Spacestations? Will it be based on the size of the fleet or how many resources we have.?

Our fleet is small but we would like to start pulling our resources in order to purchase the Spacestations for our fleet. Should we be collecting energy credits, C-Store currency or Multiple currencies?? We want to start planning now.

Should we start planning this out in the foundary?? Or will they just be one of the 4 stalk Spacestations that exist in the STO universe.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think it would be nice if we found our ahead of time what and how they are going to be charging for the Fleet Spacestations.

Is anyone else excited about the design or size of the Spacestations? Will it be based on the size of the fleet or how many resources we have.?

Our fleet is small but we would like to start pulling our resources in order to purchase the Spacestations for our fleet. Should we be collecting energy credits, C-Store currency or Multiple currencies?? We want to start planning now.

Should we start planning this out in the foundary?? Or will they just be one of the 4 stalk Spacestations that exist in the STO universe.

Personally I've been collecting EC, Emblems, Medals and other materials in the anticipation that it would cost some sort of in-game currencty. I have a few thousand samples collected, a few hundred traces, 9-digit EC storage and several thousands of most medal types xD
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    excellent work anazonda

Alpha Squadron and Blade of Kahless fully support this initiative. Fleet development really needs to be the next priority after this seasons issues are sorted.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Personally I've been collecting EC, Emblems, Medals and other materials in the anticipation that it would cost some sort of in-game currencty. I have a few thousand samples collected, a few hundred traces, 9-digit EC storage and several thousands of most medal types xD

I will start saving :( I am hoping that that they will make us pay with tribbles. At least I can get some of those fast lol
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Texus wrote:
    Sure thing, I am away with work at present untill next Thursday, but I will send you a weekly email with any idea additions.

Nice collaboration there guys keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Just so that no one wonders why they havnt been added to the list yet: I will be updating the main posts every friday.
    I find that having a focused update-schedule makes it easier to keep up to date, and eliminates alot of time wasted.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    One thing I thought would be cool for fleet actions or fleet events there should be a setting for “Give to Fleet” along with the “Need” and “Greed” options. That way all of the drops will go to the Fleet bank and any emblems or badges also go to the fleet bank. Including all of the rewards that usually bind to your character.

I know it is probably just a pipe dream but I thought it would be a good way to build up your fleet bank and sell off the less desirable materials for ECs.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Since season 5 is the “Give to the Fleet Season” I thought I would update the list. *fingers crossed

1, Increase the number of custom rank slots
    2, Allow for the purchase of more fleet bank slots
    3, Cstore uniforms to be purchased in bulk for fleets (not sure how that would work)
    4, Unlimited fleet events to be posted
    5, More interaction with guild hosting websites and STO (even if its on a very small level)
    6, Remove the 1 fleet wide email limit every 24hrs
    7, also like to be able to download fleet Bank log files to excel.
    8, Unlimited fleet events to be posted (The in-game fleet calendar needs a MAJOR overhall!)
    9, Tools for Fleet Alliances or "Treaty Organizations" whereby fleets in such a group can be linked together and allowed to share a few things in game ... chat channel, voice channel, shared event calendar, etc.
    10, I would like to see better fleet admin support:
    11, Log tracking for vault with extended support (get rid of all the frivolous information tracked in fleet news for the extra memory space if its an issue)
    12, Showing more automatic character information of people in the fleet (i.e. Joined fleet date, who promoted them, sort the roster by @HANDLE for searching for alts, etc etc.) all mostly done by just hovering the mouse or clicking on their name in the fleet roster.
    13, Just more fleet administrative information that is pertinent to running a fleet successfully.
    14, For when and if territory control game play comes in, a fleet to have the option of purchasing npc ships to help protect their starbase. Different class ships cost more or less. This would aid the smaller fleets.
    15, Using emblems to buy items for the fleet that would be "bind to fleet" instead of bind on equip, so that fleet members can use them for a certain lengh of time. When the time runs out the items return to the fleet bank.
    If a member leaves the fleet the items by default return to the fleet bank.
    16, Having an emblem (ALL game currency) donation slot in the fleet bank, the same as the current energy credits donation system.
    17. Fleet and Alliance “Who is online” roster to show who we can team up with between Alliances
    18, Better Fleet Activity tab. We don't need to know that member X has trained their BO, I would like to see the member's name (with @ tag) and what they've done.
    19, “Need” and “Greed” and add “Give to Fleet” options for mission drops.
    20, Fleet Spacestations and territorial control
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Just a quick update to anyone following this thread: I will be updating the Original Posts over the next few days, to incorporate any updates, new ideas and idea extensions in the next two days, so if you have anything to add, now is the proper time.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'll be following this thread, though I'm not in a position to make any commitment on the part of my fleet (TERRAHAWX).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    My two main wants for fleets or rather is much as needs as wants is we despritly need more fleet bank slots, and fleet starbases,
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I agree with everything James Bailey has itemized. The concept of fleet starbases does intrigue me but wouldn't that make the sector blocks a little crowded? Considering the number of fleets and the potential fleet starbases that could exist would mean that space is going to get a bit crowded. Unless Cryptic does something to expand it which I really don't see happening in the near future.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    777Sandman wrote: »
    I agree with everything James Bailey has itemized. The concept of fleet starbases does intrigue me but wouldn't that make the sector blocks a little crowded? Considering the number of fleets and the potential fleet starbases that could exist would mean that space is going to get a bit crowded. Unless Cryptic does something to expand it which I really don't see happening in the near future.

A while ago this exact topic was discussed. I seem to remember that the general agreement was that Fleet Starbases would be placed in a system of choice, and then the "acecss" dialogue would only appear to the fleet members, and the fleets that are declared adveserial to your fleet.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Oh well that is better....never mind
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    anazonda wrote: »
    A while ago this exact topic was discussed. I seem to remember that the general agreement was that Fleet Starbases would be placed in a system of choice, and then the "acecss" dialogue would only appear to the fleet members, and the fleets that are declared adveserial to your fleet.

It needs to show for neutral or allied players/fleets too.

Although the neutral shouldn't be able to attack and the allied should be able to defend.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Simale wrote:
    It needs to show for neutral or allied players/fleets too.

Although the neutral shouldn't be able to attack and the allied should be able to defend.

Well... consider if 50 fleets choose the Risa system as their base location... any neutral going by there... Oh boy.