Install Arc
Options

Duty Officers 101

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    SP3CTREnyc wrote:
    thanks, Heretic. I support your eventual usurpation of the Cryptic throne.

:eek: i dont wanna be forced to choose between dstahl and heritic
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Would I be incorrect in assuming that, from a storage perspective, every character "owns" a copy of every ship and acquiring a ship simply unlocks it for use?

So... On a certain level, there is ship data (if not costume data) assigned to every ensign for every ship in the game?

There are some things about gameplay that suggest this is the case for me.

For every STO character, that is to say, the player's captain, each of that captain's BOffs, and each of that captain's ships, each of those takes up the same amount of data storage space as a single conventional MMORPG character. This is part of the reason it is far simpler to treat DOffs like inventory items instead of fully customizing them with appearances or adjustable stats like a BOff or player character.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    Are Joined Trill amongst the available DOs for either faction? If not, how come? I think making them Very Rare would work.

Regular Trill are; Joined Trill currently are not, although that could change. The issue came up and there was some reason for the hesitation for it, but offhand I can't recall the specifics, sorry. I have no doubt it will be revisited, however.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    wrote:
    :eek: i dont wanna be forced to choose between dstahl and heritic
    he/she could be joking, just think of that
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Regular Trill are; Joined Trill currently are not, although that could change. The issue came up and there was some reason for the hesitation for it, but offhand I can't recall the specifics, sorry. I have no doubt it will be revisited, however.

Maybe unique Joined Trill could be unlocked for those of us who own the species? I know it would be weird to have a proliferation of Joined Trill, as they are not supposed to be as numerous as unjoined Trill.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Trek17 wrote:
    he/she could be joking, just think of that

yeh i got that, i was just going with it
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If a Boff eats a Doff, does that open new doff slots?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SeanNewBoy wrote: »
    If a Boff eats a Doff, does that open new doff slots?

Yes, the duty officer is removed from your reserve roster.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Can my Gorns have the option of literally eating DOffs I don't want?

Mammals are tasty and if their parents didn't want them eaten they should stop making their children out of succulent meat. :p
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't know if this has been asked already, I couldn't see it from skimming though previous posts though.

I can see that players have an active duty officer roster, how many DoFF's can you have on your roster though and is it effected by the player rank and or ship? For example, you mention that a player can have DoFF's on your active roster and these will give buffs to your ship. If I'm an Admiral, will I be able to have more DoFF's slotted in than a captain, or will the ammount of Doff's I can have slotted in be dependant on the ship I am flying?

If either of these cases are how the syetm works, is there a rough guide as to how many Doff's you can have in your active duty roster at a time (in regards to giving you buffs).
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Mammals are tasty and if their parents didn't want them eaten they should stop making their children out of succulent meat. :p

Sure, why not.

NOW, can we make belts, boots, hats, & overcoats out of Gorns if they get "eaten"? No point in wasting the hide :D .
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Can I throw a DOFF in the brig? Will DOFFs ever betray us or do anything random that creates internal issues for us to handle? Will they ever defect or "go native" if I send them on a mission? Will any of their missions be personal in nature (needs a vacation, spiritual journey, honeymoon)?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Can I throw a DOFF in the brig? Will DOFFs ever betray us or do anything random that creates internal issues for us to handle? Will they ever defect or "go native" if I send them on a mission? Will any of their missions be personal in nature (needs a vacation, spiritual journey, honeymoon)?

There is a prisoner category. I imagine of the enemy faction, and a mission for prisoner exchange or something similar.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

thats where i always assumed the BOffs i dismissed went, nom nom
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If we have an assignment that requires 10 Industrial Replicator commodities, do we have to have them present on the ship's inventory when we begin or can they be taken from my bank, similarly to the way samples are pulled from the bank during crafting. I assume this is going to work like crafting but I wanted to confirm.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Suricata wrote: »
    I can see that players have an active duty officer roster, how many DoFF's can you have on your roster though and is it effected by the player rank and or ship? For example, you mention that a player can have DoFF's on your active roster and these will give buffs to your ship. If I'm an Admiral, will I be able to have more DoFF's slotted in than a captain, or will the ammount of Doff's I can have slotted in be dependant on the ship I am flying?

If either of these cases are how the syetm works, is there a rough guide as to how many Doff's you can have in your active duty roster at a time (in regards to giving you buffs).

The number of duty officers on your active roster will probably scale with rank from around 10-ish to around 20-ish. They will probably be split between Space and Ground. The number will not be linked in any way to the ship you are flying, and if you switch ships your duty rosters will automatically move with you.

The number of duty officers on your reserve roster is currently planned to be about 100 with some capacity for increasing it in size - the details on that are still being worked out.

Duty officers will not do anything random, but things can happen in the form of assignments. For example, if you do the "Execute Mutineers" assignment on the KDF side, you'll lose some duty officers of your choice but gain a lot of Honor. Similarly, you can attain prisoner duty officers of the other faction with which several other assignments will use for prisoner exchanges, interrogations and the like.

As for personal assignments, kind of - you will have opportunities to send them to tournaments or engineering conferences or shore leave, but the assignments won't be specifically tailored to them by name.

Powerhelm wrote: »
    If we have an assignment that requires 10 Industrial Replicator commodities, do we have to have them present on the ship's inventory when we begin or can they be taken from my bank, similarly to the way samples are pulled from the bank during crafting. I assume this is going to work like crafting but I wanted to confirm.

I will have to check on this - I had assumed they needed to be in your ship's inventory, but hadn't considered the crafting bank possibility. Depends on the code.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    For example, if you do the "Execute Mutineers" assignment on the KDF side, you'll lose some duty officers of your choice but gain a lot of Honor.

Epic... EPIC! XD
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Duty officers will not do anything random, but things can happen in the form of assignments. For example, if you do the "Execute Mutineers" assignment on the KDF side, you'll lose some duty officers of your choice but gain a lot of Honor. Similarly, you can attain prisoner duty officers of the other faction with which several other factions will use for prisoner exchanges, interrogations and the like.
    Mwahahaha.... this sounds delightful. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    For example, if you do the "Execute Mutineers" assignment on the KDF side, you'll lose some duty officers of your choice but gain a lot of Honor.

That's awesome! Thanks for adding that KDF Kewlness. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Something else just occured to me. How tradeable are they going to be?

Are they going to become bound after putting on the duty roster / using them for an assignment? Or do they even start bound?

If they are tradeable, player to player trade only? Or can we mail them? Put them on the exchange? Does the exchange get an additional search option for duty officers then?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    THIS. IS. FULL. OF. EPIC. WIN.

As a 3-year EVE veteran, i've been hoping to see a game mechanic that would bring some of the immersion and complexity that STO lacked in the beginning. This looks like a setup where people who don't care, can just continue to do their thing, and those of us who like complexity can go nuts with managing their crews. This is honestly something that probably should have been introduced much sooner, but i'm glad we're getting it.:D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    The number of duty officers on your active roster will probably scale with rank from around 10-ish to around 20-ish. They will probably be split between Space and Ground. The number will not be linked in any way to the ship you are flying, and if you switch ships your duty rosters will automatically move with you.

The number of duty officers on your reserve roster is currently planned to be about 100 with some capacity for increasing it in size - the details on that are still being worked out.

So let me see if i'm reading this right. In total, when both the DOff system and the Department Head/First Officer System rolls out, you guys are currently thinking about (for end game): ~10 active Space Doff powers, ~10 active ground Doffs powers, ~3 per department via the DH system for ~18 doff powers, and an addition ~3 for the FO system.

For a grand total of ~41 passive abilities that we didn't have before.
    WOW :D

I do realize that all of this is still subject to change, and probably will change quite a bit, but it's nice to see a ballpark figure.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Duty officers will not do anything random, but things can happen in the form of assignments. For example, if you do the "Execute Mutineers" assignment on the KDF side, you'll lose some duty officers of your choice but gain a lot of Honor. Similarly, you can attain prisoner duty officers of the other faction with which several other assignments will use for prisoner exchanges, interrogations and the like.

if the assignment 'execute mutineers' results in a desaster will i have to retake my ship in a To'duj fighter?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    dukedom wrote: »

Are they going to become bound after putting on the duty roster / using them for an assignment? Or do they even start bound?

If they are tradeable, player to player trade only? Or can we mail them? Put them on the exchange? Does the exchange get an additional search option for duty officers then?

This is the kind of stuff I want to know about, too.

I REALLY would like to be able to share DO's within my fleet.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This....

Wow...

Gimmeh... :D

In a not-to-be-insulting way, this feels like STO is going for a Sims style internal game for the crew. Very well thought out, now I just hope the execution matches the promise.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    sltdg wrote: »
    So let me see if i'm reading this right. In total, when both the DOff system and the Department Head/First Officer System rolls out, you guys are currently thinking about (for end game): ~10 active Space Doff powers, ~10 active ground Doffs powers, ~3 per department via the DH system for ~18 doff powers, and an addition ~3 for the FO system.

For a grand total of ~41 passive abilities that we didn't have before.
    WOW :D

I do realize that all of this is still subject to change, and probably will change quite a bit, but it's nice to see a ballpark figure.

I think the slots give you passive bonuses for the most part - its the First officer that gives you extra active powers.

I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    dukedom wrote: »

Duty officers are intended to be generally tradeable and able to be put on the Exchange, though there is some possibility that some of this functionality may be come out shortly after the core system, since this has a very heavy UI component which isn't cheap for us to develop.

Slotting and unslotting should not affect their ability to be traded, to my knowledge, but I need to confer with Software about that.

EDIT: Just spoke with Geko, and we're on the same page with this. The plan is for slotting and unslotting duty officers to not affect your ability to trade them. (Bound duty officers as a result of commendation rewards would still be bound, of course.)

The current plan is that those duty officers that you gain from one-time specific achievements - that is, from achieving ranks in the commendation system categories, and maybe a few other places - probably will not be tradeable, but the vast majority should be.

In other words, you ding tier three in Exploration, you get a unique duty officer. That duty officer probably won't be tradeable. Having dinged tier three, that opens up repeatable assignments that let you get additional good duty (and bridge) officers - these would be tradeable.

Bohort wrote: »
    if the assignment 'execute mutineers' results in a desaster will i have to retake my ship in a To'duj fighter?

Heh. I wish we had the tech for that. :cool:

JanuHull wrote: »
    In a not-to-be-insulting way, this feels like STO is going for a Sims style internal game for the crew. Very well thought out, now I just hope the execution matches the promise.

Me, too.

This is exactly why we have been as open during the development part of this system as we have been, so we can take the temperature for certain aspects of the design, see feedback, identify potential issues, etc. We feel this system has a lot of potential, but it's big and complex, and big and complex systems can be easily derailed.

The major thing I want to make sure people understand is we fully expect there will have to be a lot of adjustments and tweaking to account for how players use it in practice as opposed to theory, now, on Tribble, and even when the system goes live. We are committed to making this become a useful and engaging tool for players, and I highly doubt that the initial iteration will perfectly hit that point.

I think the slots give you passive bonuses for the most part - its the First officer that gives you extra active powers.

I think.

Correct.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/9/6/8/62968_v1.jpg

any of these the new Doffs? j/k of course :D but cracked up when i saw this
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Duty officers are intended to be generally tradeable and able to be put on the Exchange, though there is some possibility that some of this functionality may be come out shortly after the core system, since this has a very heavy UI component which isn't cheap for us to develop.

So the Slave Market is going to be alive and well then? :D I'm sorry, but there are unfortunate implications in terms of fiction in regards to the Exchange. And yes I am trying best not to do a crossover joke with another well-loved Science Fiction/Fantasy franchise. :p

Anyway, on the more serious side, this does look like a great system, and I look forward to using it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I think.

I misspoke. when i used the word active i was referring to the fact that those passive bonuses were "actively" helping you and not actual abilities that the captain could activate. hence why i said PASSIVE ABILITIES in my last statement.

I also believe that the first officer will only give us ONE active slottable power that was not included in my calculations and that this would be in addition to their Doff Passive Bonuses