Need help after a long absence

Options
johnniedione
johnniedione Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
I ve been away for 4 years now, and I just made a comeback today to play the game and see if its worth it. I read some threads and realised alot of things have changed since I last played. What are the most important changes that happened during that period, and what should I focus on? Also which class is dominating right now? Back then assassins were op and could solo stuff, now which class is "best"? (I currently have a high lvl psy, a sin, a veno and a mystic). Lastly, is there a way to get some decent gear without paying for it? I remember back then it was possible. Any advice on that? Thanks for the replies in advance!
Post edited by johnniedione on

Comments

• CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "best" is a matter of opinion. Sins are still good at farming lower instances (Twilight Temple), but they are nerfed in the newer content. Mystics are good at all levels of the game. Venos are respectable and helpful in most squads. Psys are kind of meh, not really worth playing unless you're going to throw tons of money at the game for gear.

Four years ago... 2011? Lots of changes since then...

Morai: New area available to level 95+ characters. Farmable skills for all classes, farmable gear that is good in pve but not good in pvp anymore.

"Grade 16" Nirvana gear: This is the top gear for free-to-play players. Involves farming lots of Warsong and/or Lunar. Comparable power to Rank 9. Note that although it is called Nirvana gear still, nobody does Nirvana anymore, Nation Wars made it obsolete overnight.

Rank 9 second recast (may be called r999, r9rr, r9r2 depending on your server): Top gear for cashshoppers. Extremely powerful, regular rank 9/G16 Vana can't compete with it.

Nation Wars: PVP event that occurs on Friday and Sunday nights. This is the main pvp attraction for most, features you getting put into a random nation - you may have to fight your own faction mates. Lots of money to be made here, although not as much as it used to be.

Reawakening (often called Rebirth or RB): Level 100+ chars can start over at level 1. This gives you increased stats, as well as access to the Primal World and other instances. You can reawaken twice. Leveling is not as painful as the first time because you get an xp multiplier.

Primal World: Lots of dailies here, farmable skill upgrades (some old skills combine into new ones). Contains Flowsilver Palace, which is the top-end daily instance that everyone does to earn money/power up.

Non-gear stat increases: There are several things that increase your stats besides gear now. Meridian (on the C screen), Nuemas (weekly farming), War Avatar cards (primary source of these is Flowsilver Palace), Boundary Levels (mostly increased by doing dailies after reawakening).

New classes: Stormbringer and Duskblade. These are fairly new, may or may not be broken - will have to evaluate when we have more with endgame gear.

That's the major changes, plenty of minor ones in four years.
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Probably the most drastic changes in the game are Nation Wars, Rebirth, Cards, nuemas, meridian, Spirit and the new classes.

Nation wars: A pvp event 2 days per week (Friday and Sunday from 20:20 to 22:20 server time) This event allow you to get suply tokens. Those tokens can be exchanged for uncanies and rapture crystals (this event killed nirvana) and some other materials needed to make things like: warsoul weapons, rr8 gear, end game ornaments/tomes, etc.

Rebirth: After your character is 100 or higher and with his 89 culti completed you can start a quest that allow you to reborn him/her. When your character is reborn, he return to level 1 with a few extra stat points, also you gain 4x exp per mob kill and per quest until you are back to 100. At second rebirth exp is 3.5 I think.

Also reborn toons can enter Primal world. Primal is a new map with chain quests, daily quests and 2 Instances: Flow Silver Palace and Undercurrent Hall.
    The Daily quest and instances gives items that are related to reborn characters like;

- Flow Silver Coins (from FSP And Daily quests): this item allow you to make cards that you can equip to your character and other items.
    - Primordial Bloods(Daily quests and undercurrent hall): this item is needed to make the new primal skill, some of those skills are pasive skill and others are the evolution of some of your character skill or a fusion of 2 skills.

Cards: As i say on previous paragraph your character can equip cards now. You actually dont need to be reborn to use this cards, some of the cards can even be used on mid-low level characters but the most powerfull ones are for 100+ character.

The most powerfull cards are something that gratly increase your attributes. Some of the most powerfull cards (A and S) are sets of cards. Some of those sets are so powerfull that are almost like wearing another set of gear.
    Cards can also be leveled and reborn.

Nuema: this is something that you can access from the same window where you equip your cards but is not related to the cards. Nuema is something that also allow you to increase attributes. Every week you can farm nuemas from instance bosses (20 per week) and by doing resource wars.

Meridian: another thing that allow you to turn your character more powerfull. Meridian use an item named mystical pill and another called holy pill, those items can be obtained by doing daily quest on morai, level 100 bhs and some other events, also you can buy those on the boutique.

Spirit: This is another attribute that came with the rebirht expantion. Spirit is something like a mix of atk and def level(someone else could explain these since I dont remember the formula lol). Spirit can be increased by leveling up the sky levels (something you unlock after rebirth). You level up your sky level by doing primal daily quests and with some items from the boutique. Spirit can also be increased with your cards.

New classes: the new classes are the Duskblade and the Stormbringer.
    Duskblade: A LA class like sins or archers, this class is combo based (you can chain skills)

Stormbringer: A magic class that can cast while moving.

There is a lot of more details that im sure some other forum user can share to you.

Also sorry about the possible grammatical errors and bad explained things but I'm sleepy and english is not my main.b:laugh

Also I probably will get ninjaed by the time I finish this wall of text b:laugh

• MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey OP, what do you mean by having 'high level' chars? Since you were last on the power gap between cs or very dedicated players and casual players is insurmountable.

For example, and someone feel free to correct me on numbers, if you look at the pve damage test on a super op (R9rr) seeker, they can hit for 8mill + right, on a crit. The same hit, all things equal but a g16 weapon would be lucky to be 1 mill I think. (me g16 +7 and without all the best cards etc, is 300k)

My sin is worth 600mill as a g16 aps with a +10 weapon and is still good fun for some farming but in pvp is almost insignificant (i can still stun and do a couple things here and there to help a tiny bit in pvp). In some of the new instances (allowing 10 persons squads) I can and usually am easily the worst geared char in there.

There are people out there now with a new tome called an Emperor which is conservatively worth 450mill. This is just an average piece of gear for those people.
    (EDIT - I am corrected below on the price of this thing- haven't seen one for sale for a long time so didn't really know but thanks for the correction it further emphasizes the point.....)

Having said all that, in the aforementioned NW you can still run around and get rewards - luckily getting one shot counts towards your rewards bonus which suits me as I get one shotted 40 times per NW and if you know your play, buffs etc, even undergeared like me I can get in squads with my sin, venos and cleric. My g16 archers x 2 cant get in the new instances because their gear is not good enough.

This all probably leads to more questions than answers for you, but something to keep in mind anyway. I still play, but like I said, the power gap is unbelievable.
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey OP, what do you mean by having 'high level' chars? Since you were last on the power gap between cs or very dedicated players and casual players is insurmountable.

For example, and someone feel free to correct me on numbers, if you look at the pve damage test on a super op (R9rr) seeker, they can hit for 8mill + right, on a crit. The same hit, all things equal but a g16 weapon would be lucky to be 1 mill I think. (me g16 +7 and without all the best cards etc, is 300k)

My sin is worth 600mill as a g16 aps with a +10 weapon and is still good fun for some farming but in pvp is almost insignificant (i can still stun and do a couple things here and there to help a tiny bit in pvp). In some of the new instances (allowing 10 persons squads) I can and usually am easily the worst geared char in there.

There are people out there now wtih a new tome called an Emperor which is conservatively worth 450mill. This is just an average piece of gear for those people.

Having said all that, in the aforementioned NW you can still run around and get rewards - luckily getting one shot counts towards your rewards bonus which suits me as I get one shotted 40 times per NW and if you know your play, buffs etc, even undergeared like me I can get in squads with my sin, venos and cleric. My g16 archers x 2 cant get in the new instances because their gear is not good enough.

This all probably leads to more questions than answers for you, but something to keep in mind anyway. I still play, but like I said, the power gap is unbelievable.

Pricing is server dependant. For example an emperor on Sanctuary is easily worth 4x what you quote.

The break downs of main changes on this thread are good places to start.
  • areee
    areee Posts: 117
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also a recent returnee. I'm not Pvp but Pve who enjoys having nice solid pets. After all this time I expected a slew of new pets. There are some since I last played but...

Got popped into a new map, nifty critters, not a one of them is tamable and I can't seem to find my way out. So after looking all over at mobs and npcs I just gave up and uninstalled.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    areee wrote: »
    Got popped into a new map, nifty critters, not a one of them is tamable and I can't seem to find my way out. So after looking all over at mobs and npcs I just gave up and uninstalled.

You have to reach level 20 to get out of the beginner map.

Personal preference here, but I don't think a beginner area should've been made. It kind of defeated the whole thing where each race is separate then comes together at Arch.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There are actually 4 new pets in Celestial Vale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • areee
    areee Posts: 117
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There are actually 4 new pets in Celestial Vale.

I've looked all over for info on those 4 pets to no avail. The massive pet list shows coords but doesn't show one thing about what map those are for.
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    To the OP welcome back and enjoy the changes and take it all in a step at a time I guess because before you know it your going to be rolling more toons or afking a lot because really there isn't anything to do unless your into quest :/
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    areee wrote: »
    I've looked all over for info on those 4 pets to no avail. The massive pet list shows coords but doesn't show one thing about what map those are for.

The four new pets are all in Celestial Vale (the new starter area; take quest from any of the racial home city teleporters to enter, and take a quest from any of the teleporters in Celestial Vale to leave and go to your racial home city.) Dusk Monkey and Berrywood Monkey are lowest level (pwdatabase says 3, but I thought I remembered them being level 4), Corrupted Ape (tames to Monkey Baby) is level 7, and Wandering Parrot is highest level at level 17, but all become level 3 eggs upon taming. The two monkeys are in the southwest a bit east of the starter village, the Corrupted Ape somewhat north of them, the Parrot is in the northeast, a bit sourthwest of the last village.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga