[Maintenance Discussion] 1/27/15 COMPLETE

Options

Comments

• Krelian - Dreamweaver
    Krelian - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Id hang out with a GM from PW that actually gave a rats *** about the players. But alas thats only fiction b:shutupb:shutupb:shutup
  • Luscinia - Lost City
    Luscinia - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds, or Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds... pretty much anyone from Criminal Minds <.<

Oh I agree!

I would also like to hang out with Tyrion Lannister, as it would be soooo amusing :)
  • Liveena - Heavens Tear
    Liveena - Heavens Tear Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Darth Vader from Star Wars, because hanging out with him in a Star Destroyer bridge while randomly force choke some stranger while blowing up planets wasn't enough.

I'm evil and I know it b:surrender
    Heaven Tear

Liveena 102/102/102 Demon Cleric
    Milfeena 103/102 Demon BM
    Silpheena 104/103/102 Sage R9S3 Seeker
    Cieleena 101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer
  • LostPoet - Dreamweaver
    LostPoet - Dreamweaver Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SweetieBot what is server status??

b:sad
    YOUTUBE:
    youtube.com/user/lostpoetgaming

twitch LIVE STREAM + MORE VIDEOS:
    twitch.tv/thelostpoet/profile
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SweetieBot what is server status??
    Here's the server status:

West Coast Servers:
    Sanctuary (PVE) (pwigc2.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Heaven's Tear (PVE) (pwigc4.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Lost City (PvP) (pwigc3.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Archosaur (PvE) (pwiwest4.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE

East Coast Servers:
    Harshlands (PvP) (pwieast1.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Dreamweaver (PvE) (pwieast2.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Raging Tide (PvE) (pwieast3.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE

European Servers:
    Morai (PvE) (pwieu3.en.perfectworld.eu): OFFLINE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• moonles
    moonles Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sweetiebot pls display server status
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited January 2015
    Options
    moonles wrote: »

West Coast Servers:

East Coast Servers:

European Servers:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands

• christer
    christer Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sweetiebot please fix the avatar system on the forum :3.
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited January 2015
    Options
    christer wrote: »
    Sweetiebot please fix the avatar system on the forum :3.
    Is that an order?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• cenaisback
    cenaisback Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SweetieBot server status please :)
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited January 2015
    Options
    cenaisback wrote: »
    SweetieBot server status please :)
    A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• glay4fun
    glay4fun Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    why isnt server up? its 01:01 b:angry
  • cenaisback
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight.

hehe , stay blessed :D b:pleased
  • moonles
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited January 2015
    Options

West Coast Servers:

East Coast Servers:

European Servers:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• magador
    magador Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options

West Coast Servers:

East Coast Servers:

European Servers:

Why???
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    Molniya - Dreamweaver Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The servers aren't up because there's at least an hour left before they SHOULD be up. We're all just hoping for a short maint.
  • magador
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The servers aren't up because there's at least an hour left before they SHOULD be up. We're all just hoping for a short maint.

This is just "restart" ,servers load for 2h+ ? b:thanks
  • cenaisback
    edited January 2015
    Options

oh damn , sorry sweetieBot !!

@molniya Thanks for enlightenment !b:bye
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is just "restart" ,servers load for 2h+ ?
    Apparently! This is a question I would also like to know the answer too. From what I remember, they do little changes (probably like grammar stuff or whatever) while server is rebooting. So it takes foreverrrrrrrrr.

So yeah. 3 hours is the 'usual' length of time for maintenance, whether there's a patch or not. Sometimes we get lucky and have a short one, other times something breaks and it's down for forever.

EDIT: Uuuugh and now the Year of the Tiger pack is back. Must resist urge to get many...
  • moonles
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Surtr wrote: »
    Maintenance Question: If you could hang out with any fictional character, who would it be?
    God (or however you'd like to call the source of all creation personified). *nod*

Because he/she/it needs some lessons in design and implementation.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited January 2015
    Options

West Coast Servers:

East Coast Servers:

European Servers:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• aetherguy
    aetherguy Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For all the non geeks / nerds / anyone who has run a server.
    you need a maintenance every week or so. this allows among other things, time to do a real backup, hot backups (backing up with the server running) are unreliable and spotty, it allows them (even if they don't admit to it) to clean up minor errors. to run a check for any hacks or exploits (PWE may or may not do this, but it can be done easily on a "offline" server")
    It also allows World bosses, harpy wraith, and rare pets to reset spawn timers. and many other things some pwi specific others universal.

Most well run server hosts (PWE or the company they contract with has proven to be that) have backup machines running in-case something goes wrong (IE a possessor burns out, a drive corrupts ECT, now we end users, could see this either as a flawless change over. a massive lag spike. or a server wide to game wide DC that we all log back in from, however the damage needs to be properly repaired, depending on what went wrong they may be able to fix it when the game is hot, but mostly they would want to wait until weekly shut down and do repairs, depending on how they have the backup system set they might need to do a shut-down to reconfigure the system, also just like our computers need updates to the OS, so do server machines something that again can be done at weekly maintenance.

a ton of stuff needs to be done to keep the game running correctly and a weekly maintenance window fixes this problem, and allows us players to know when the game is going down, i have played games that don't have a routine maintenance, and its a lot more annoying to have unpredictable down times constantly with notice ranging from 1 week to 1 minute.

Please don't lose sight of that fact its just a game, and only a few hours of maintenance,
    during this down time you could go play outside, watch a TV show, or read a book, for the people who want a book to read i recommend these (sorry if this is against forum rules, think its ok tho)

I was going to post some books i recommended here, but i decided someone would see the titles and post spoilers, if anyone wants the list PM me and i will send it to you.

TLDNR: server are like ppl Timmy they need to sleep to, maybe you should take this time a go play outside side.
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That moment you realise you've parked to kill a boss for a title...and it has the ability to utterly DESTROY you.

Here's hoping whoever's on Dreamweaver who comes to kill it will let me squad with them sob.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Apparently! This is a question I would also like to know the answer too.
    Even when we're not applying a patch, there are still tasks we do during server maintenance - things like database backups, error checking, etc. - it's a lot more than just turning the hardware off and back on.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• aetherguy
    aetherguy Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aetherguy wrote: »
    you need a maintenance every week or so. this allows among other things, time to do a real backup, hot backups (backing up with the server running) are unreliable and spotty, it allows them (even if they don't admit to it) to clean up minor errors. to run a check for any hacks or exploits (PWE may or may not do this, but it can be done easily on a "offline" server")
    It also allows World bosses, harpy wraith, and rare pets to reset spawn timers. and many other things some pwi specific others universal.

Most well run server hosts (PWE or the company they contract with has proven to be that) have backup machines running in-case something goes wrong (IE a possessor burns out, a drive corrupts ECT, now we end users, could see this either as a flawless change over. a massive lag spike. or a server wide to game wide DC that we all log back in from, however the damage needs to be properly repaired, depending on what went wrong they may be able to fix it when the game is hot, but mostly they would want to wait until weekly shut down and do repairs, depending on how they have the backup system set they might need to do a shut-down to reconfigure the system, also just like our computers need updates to the OS, so do server machines something that again can be done at weekly maintenance.

a ton of stuff needs to be done to keep the game running correctly and a weekly maintenance window fixes this problem, and allows us players to know when the game is going down, i have played games that don't have a routine maintenance, and its a lot more annoying to have unpredictable down times constantly with notice ranging from 1 week to 1 minute.

Please don't lose sight of that fact its just a game, and only a few hours of maintenance,
    during this down time you could go play outside, watch a TV show, or read a book, for the people who want a book to read i recommend these (sorry if this is against forum rules, think its ok tho)

I was going to post some books i recommended here, but i decided someone would see the titles and post spoilers, if anyone wants the list PM me and i will send it to you.

TLDNR: server are like ppl Timmy they need to sleep to, maybe you should take this time a go play outside side.

What the GM said, only in more detail, also Aetherguy shoot me that book list plz
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Even when we're not applying a patch, there are still tasks we do during server maintenance - things like database backups, error checking, etc. - it's a lot more than just turning the hardware off and back on.

Any word on the issue where people have characters that belong to other players? Or gear on other characters that belong to other players?
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • magador
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why you never say that?When we know you fix sth. it's better.You just say it's a restart...Other question when servers will be on?
  • Luscinia - Lost City
    Luscinia - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aetherguy wrote: »

Very nicely explained! Thank you :)