Arc Defender

Options
sparkiesoft
sparkiesoft Posts: 47
edited December 2014 in Official Announcements
We just launched Arc Defender! Please take a moment and read through this blog as it will explain how to use it. (disabling it, adding more PC's, etc)

Side Note: This is a staggered release, so not all of you will have it right away. The ones that don't, will see the update later during the week.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/7007893-arc-defender
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just for a heads up, it does take a while for the pin number to be sent to you via email. I received my pin over 30 min after I had submit a request for it, after repeatedly refreshing my email inbox.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just for a heads up, it does take a while for the pin number to be sent to you via email. I received my pin over 30 min after I had submit a request for it, after repeatedly refreshing my email inbox.
    Oooh... that's bad. Especially with that 1 hour time window.

Does your e-mail have an active spam filter or something? I got my code 2 minutes after on the account I needed it for.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I guess the time it takes to mail the code to you does vary depending on what email domain you use. If you are using yahoo, it does take a really long time, even without filters enabled. But for gmail, it takes only a min or so.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You guys do realize how easy it is to launch the game without Arc? This doesn't protect anything if its just through Arc, you have to build it into the actual game server. You can't even build the protection into the client since that is easily bypassed by any would-be hacker.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You guys do realize how easy it is to launch the game without Arc? This doesn't protect anything if its just through Arc, you have to build it into the actual game server. You can't even build the protection into the client since that is easily bypassed by any would-be hacker.

This is very true. Earlier, I purposely locked myself out on one of my catshop account by providing fake pins, and is still able to log in game just the same with only the client.
  • Naberis - Dreamweaver
    Naberis - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I honestly think they have good intentions with this new security feature but its too easily bypassed and would seem quite glitchy and more of a hassle than the security it should provide which is nonexistent considering how you can launch the game without Arc at all.

But with that said they're doing this for more than just pwi and i think some of their other games its not as easy to bypass arc like it is for pwi, (though i dont play their other games), still nice to see they're trying to do something constructive with Arc.
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I personally question how reliable/safe this is. You store a persons personal information somewhere to recognize that they are logging in from their own computer? Sounds like something a hacker would LOVE to get his hands on. I for one will be disabling it.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the update! I'll be keeping my eye out for it to disable it immediately XD

I'm seriously paranoid about account safety, and anything that 'saves' anything about my account to some kind of database/server thing make me uncomfortable.
    1) already proven to be subvert-able
    2) worst case, it's another thing hackers could ****. At least at this point, if I get ****, I know it's because of some stupid thing I did (like going to a non-pwi site and entering my info or "account sharing"), but if someone hacks the "defender" system, that's totally out of my hands, and thus far ze company here has not increased my ability to trust them or their judgement >.>

I appreciate the thought though! I don't want to sound ungrateful XD But like everything on the internet, I want to minimize my internet footprint and be a part of as few systems and log-in mechanics as possible.
  • matthieudoncacci
    matthieudoncacci Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just launched ARC and there is nothing about Arc Defender, why?

Arc did not registered my current computer at my first loggin. In the settings, there is no option about turn on or turn off arc defender. My list of registered computer (in Manage Arc Defender) is empty. Has it been launched for everyone?
    OmbreChild - sage sin - Morai - 105-105-103
    mypers.pw/5/#276700
    OlyChryst - sage cleric - Morai - 101
    OgreCador - demon barb - Morai - 100
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just launched ARC and there is nothing about Arc Defender, why?

Arc did not registered my current computer at my first loggin. In the settings, there is no option about turn on or turn off arc defender. My list of registered computer (in Manage Arc Defender) is empty. Has it been launched for everyone?
    That would be because:
    Side Note: This is a staggered release, so not all of you will have it right away. The ones that don't, will see the update later during the week.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You guys do realize how easy it is to launch the game without Arc?

True. But this seems to be harder for some of their other games. PWI is not their main interest anymore. Anyway I think few of us will complain about Arc being easily bypassed for PWI, don't give them bad idea ^^.
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • matthieudoncacci
    matthieudoncacci Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    That would be because:

Originally Posted by sparkiesoft View Post
    Side Note: This is a staggered release, so not all of you will have it right away. The ones that don't, will see the update later during the week

Thanks Kossy :)
    OmbreChild - sage sin - Morai - 105-105-103
    mypers.pw/5/#276700
    OlyChryst - sage cleric - Morai - 101
    OgreCador - demon barb - Morai - 100
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So this defender is actually the exact same thing Cryptic uses for their game clients individually.
    Not seeing an issue with this, it doesn't bother me at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,807 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options

You know what. I was thinking the same thing.

Sadly I have to ask the question that if you log into the site you can still change details form any computer? If so the above and more is still open.
  • profit
    profit Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i lost my e mail i used to open pwi 7 yrs ago now how will i get my pin. So if i cant get pin i cant play ?
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    profit wrote: »
    i lost my e mail i used to open pwi 7 yrs ago now how will i get my pin. So if i cant get pin i cant play ?

You had 7 years to change it ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Merkrue - Raging Tide
    Merkrue - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Congratulations, PWI. Your silly bloatware/code redeemer is about as good as your grammar:

http://i.imgur.com/YgFlxgR.png

b:laughb:laughb:laugh
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    profit wrote: »

When you open Arc the first time you will get a popup message about Defender if it has been updated. It will store the information of that particular computer as being okay - no emails needed. At that point, go into Settings - General in Arc and check the box to disable it. You should not have to deal with needing a pin if you do this.

Thanks for the update, Sparkie. I disabled mine immediately even though I only use Arc for blessings... too much of a hassle for me otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Myelene - Lost City
    Myelene - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    thanks now i cant log in cause i dont have acces to my email and every ticket i have sent to try to change it only tells me that i must change iut from arc or the webpage but then it says i must send a ticket, send the ticket and you send me an auto email telling me to change it from webpage or arc and now arc dont lñet me login without a pin you send to the e mail i cant acces thanks for the time i played and now i am off to somewhere else all thanks to this new arcdefender b:byeb:byeb:bye
  • Ocelote - Lost City
    Ocelote - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i opened arc it bothered me with the zrcdefender and then i pressed play in games PWI but nothing happens thanks PWE you got a nice piece of **** that uses respources and dont let me play the game i choosed to play b:byeb:byeb:bye
  • zoner112012
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well this is just fantastic.....what good is the option to disable arc defender if when you do it it says it is unable to perform this action at this time. I really hope for your sake this changes soon cuz if not i will not be happy to know my personal computer information is being stored somewhere for some hacker to use. I want to disable it and it wont let me so wtf do i do now huh?

Update: restarting Arc fixed the problem thankfully. I want nothing to do with this useless program. Finish integrating this crappy Arc so it is bound with the element client and maybe ill consider it but what is the point of using it if u dont NEED arc to play pwi? xD
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • blairny
    blairny Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is just ridiculous. I didn't get the PIN (yeah I'm sure about my e-mail and it's not in junk or spam folder) so I submitted a ticket and (what a surprise!) got the immediate notice about the ticket sent to my mail. Isnt' it a bit strange that I can receive any notifications from PWI but the one I need?
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Finish integrating this crappy Arc so it is bound with the element client and maybe ill consider it but what is the point of using it if u dont NEED arc to play pwi? xD

Please, don't give them any bad idea.
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • zoner112012
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Please, don't give them any bad idea.

I think its a great idea. Then people can't open a bajillion clients at once and they can better keep track of scammers/hackers through logging into arc.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • Sir_rusty - Dreamweaver
    Sir_rusty - Dreamweaver Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Who the F*** gave you permission to look at my PC so i disabled it on this pc now it wants a pin go F*** yourself I am sure that is illegal in this country will ask legal advice tomorrow. b:angryb:angryb:angry
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Then people can't open a bajillion clients at once and they can better keep track of scammers/hackers through logging into arc.

Explain ?
    You're supposed to be able to open two clients on ONE computer. And I would be very surprised to see them being able to put a real limit to 2. So far if you're able to open more than one client, then you can open as many as you want. Anyway I guess people that open 10+ clients use more than one computer (or some VM) and I don't think they are that much representative.

And how is this supposed to limit scamming/hacking ?
    Let's seriously face it. By definition any good hacker totally doesn't care this kind of "security" and scammers won't be really annoyed by that as well...
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
  • Annastasia - Lost City
    Annastasia - Lost City Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    so everytime i switch computers i will have to reset my account with a pin? i have pc down stairs and upstairs plus a laptop. so whichever one i log on to i will have to go figure out which email address i used 7 years ago to set up my account and enter a new pin for each account on each computer? that sounds like a lot of work to play an online game. and yes i hit delete this computer and now am waiting for a pin that hasnt come in over 24 hours. you guys amaze me with the ideas you come up with. do any of you even play PWI? do you have an idea of how ridiculous this new "feature" is? the only people you will lock out are the honest people. the cheaters will know how to bypass this within about 5 seconds.

i bet the next "feature" will be you have to have a credit card on file to play.....
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    guesss ill have to wait for the arc defender to actually update and GET the defender to turn it off b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sir_rusty - Dreamweaver
    Sir_rusty - Dreamweaver Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If they get rid of all the extra clients and get a good look at there real numbers they would have a meltdown to see how many players they have lost over the last 2 years all because there to stupid to listen to there players.

When your staff finally kill the game send me a Email I want to lmao and say "I told you so"
    Looking at the F*** ups it wont be long. goodbye PWI it was fun until PWI became penny pinching vampires that just take and take then give you a maiden chest worth F*** all and wonder why no one spending coin.

Now they have to resort to selling our computer info to make ends meet.

Well sorry but if i use a product I don't want the security guard following me home and going trough my house and all my cupboards to see what they can sell and I sure as F*** don't want them on my pc. Which is what PWI are doing. GOODBYE FAREWELL b:angryb:angry
  • mysticalconumdrm
    mysticalconumdrm Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ohhhh....my..my..me thinks you all complain a little to much....
    whats the matter....PWI makes you verify something now..and instead...
    just write the usual ...f bombs....game is horrible...evil cash shoppers....game is going downhill...yada...yada...yada...

my favorite is "i've have to figure out which account i used 7 years ago...really???
    PWI have give you a MONTH to change/update email accounts and you did not..
    and of course it now PWI's fault....