Arc defender possible issue incoming \ Accounts will be inaccessible

Options

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eh. This one's more on the Arc side and they use it for all their games (even if I'm willing to bet just about all of them can bypass it) so the vast majority of the vocal users on one game bypassing it won't make quite an impact on what it does for them overall.

I suppose at least they're trying to give us some more security. Considering how badly a lot of people here treat their e-mails though and the like, it may harm PWI's playerbase more than help it.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • laiwaisan
    laiwaisan Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    b:angry That sucks reason why there's a game that does that if u have an old yahoo or hot mail account an no longer use it you lose your pwi account you guys seriously need to stop this you think you making things better but you constantly **** it up ever hear the expression it aint broke don't fix it .

i am glad that i made copys of all my pwi charges from my debit history.

f one of my accounts doesn't work because of this i can get a full refund threw the bbb and and that government agency that enforces laws for online protection and if you go to bbb you will see some people in the past got full refund of money that they investent in this game im looking at a couple a grand easlyb:pleased
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    laiwaisan wrote: »
    b:angry That sucks reason why there's a game that does that if u have an old yahoo or hot mail account an no longer use it you lose your pwi account

Or you could, you know, take care of your data. It's not PWEs fault that players are dumb individuals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Or you could, you know, take care of your data. It's not PWEs fault that players are dumb individuals.
    Agreed. If you created your account with a fake/throwaway email, it's your own damn fault. Open a ticket now to get it corrected and tie your accounts to active email addressees.

What's really sad, is that the people using 20+ accounts for catshops will be largely un-affected by this since they don't use Arc for running those shops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I got a reply from Support Team about Arc Defender they said Arc Defender will look at the machine information, not just the IP address, so this should not be an issue for users with a dynamic IP. So its a good news to the players like me who uses dynamic IP b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think this is a good idea actually. You hear stories about people being **** and it taking so long for them to gain back control+ and an even longer battle with pwi to get items/coins back.

This is desperately needed in my opinion!
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    XXHotXx - Morai Posts: 1,246 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think this is a good idea actually. You hear stories about people being **** and it taking so long for them to gain back control+ and an even longer battle with pwi to get items/coins back.

^yup 100% agree, this way will be lot harder to lose control of your own account,

but i believe the major issue of ppl getting **** is that they set their Arc account password same as their email account password
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

i58.tinypic.com/231jj8.jpg
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good thing would have been to allow a list of computers, don't you think ?
    I play on both a laptop or a desktop computer and can switch from one to another several times a day. Will this mean that my only two choices will be to either desactivate it or click on a link sent by email everytime ?
    I don't have any problem to access the mail address but having to go there everytime I wanna play would be a little annoying...
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • opkossy
    edited November 2014
    Options

This is pretty true, but I feel the vast majority of those who get "****" here are the ones giving out their account info already on phishing sites or who were already account sharing. For the most part, the claims of "****" aren't really from being **** and no amount of security is gonna protect people from their own stupidity. :/
    Good thing would have been to allow a list of computers, don't you think ?
    I play on both a laptop or a desktop computer and can switch from one to another several times a day. Will this mean that my only two choices will be to either desactivate it or click on a link sent by email everytime ?
    I don't have any problem to access the mail address but having to go there everytime I wanna play would be a little annoying...
    You'll be able to have a list of safe computers according to the FAQ they made. So it seems that, like mentioned above, dynamic IPs won't have to put up with too much even if they get reset often. This actually makes the system a lot more bearable for legit users that have multiple PCs than I originally thought, so I honestly don't have any issue with it now. It's unfortunate that it can be bypassed entirely, sure... but the vast majority likely don't bypass it due to lack of knowledge or the like so it'll probably do some good.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »

You'll be able to have a list of safe computers according to the FAQ they made..

Thanks for this information. In the same time it means this won't prevent from account sharing as some people supposed
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • opkossy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for this information. In the same time it means this won't prevent from account sharing as some people supposed

It depends. If they're sharing e-mail accounts too, then no it won't prevent it. Likewise if the account sharer is willing to take the time and let the people trying to access their accounts get the appropriate codes within an hour of the person trying to log on.

At any time where that isn't the case, however, then it stops account sharing in its tracks since you need to get the code right before your PC is put on the safe list.

All of this, of course, assumes that Arc isn't being bypassed and/or the players don't just disable Arc Defender. As both of those are options, anyone with basic reading comprehension (which, sadly, seems to be a minority for folks here) will have zero problems account sharing.
  • laiwaisan
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Agreed. If you created your account with a fake/throwaway email, it's your own damn fault. Open a ticket now to get it corrected and tie your accounts to active email addressees.

What's really sad, is that the people using 20+ accounts for catshops will be largely UN-affected by this since they don't use Arc for running those shops.

Ever thought that maybe the e-maill address is from several years back like 6 years Algol or more?

or maybe it was a an e-mail account that got **** and was deleted.

or maybe the e-mail addy got lost

there's lots of reasons and by the way the majority pwi acounts that get **** is due to being idiots like sharing your account going to phishing sites promising you gold or just straight dumb people lthat download fake **** tools that end up keylogers guess what you deserve to get you account jacked lol morons.

just plain old common sense is usealy enough to protect your account this added security is an annoyance and what else is arc doing it almost sounds like there installing a key longer on to your system or spyware
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm a little torn on this.
    On the one hand, yay they're trying to stop hackers somehow.
    On the other hand, boo for the people who don't have their email access anymore :S I sympathize, for a while I had lost access to a several of my pwi account emails.
    If anyone remembers the great account access lost with the forced password reset debacle a while ago that effected a buttload of people, that caused me to freak out pretty hardcore and fight extra viciously to recover all the emails that I lost.
    I would suggest a preemptive strike for everyone else who has not recovered their emails and start working on that -now- before this thing gets implemented.

My suggestion to the people in charge of implementing this would be to have to opt IN, instead of opt OUT, so that people who do not have email access don't automatically become incapable of accessing their accounts, and people who do have access and/or want the extra protection can enable it when it is an active feature.

Knowing the people in charge here though, they'll implement this in the very worst way possible to cause the most hassle to the most people they can :S

Honestly I don't feel the need for this feature, as I 1) don't account share and 2) don't follow sketchy links/ have a healthy skepticism when it comes to "deals" and odd pms from friends. So I would appreciate not having to automatically disable it.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ever thought that maybe the e-maill address is from several years back like 6 years Algol or more?

You had 6 years to change it then. What's your excuse?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • OFate - Heavens Tear
    OFate - Heavens Tear Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    luckycut wrote: »
    honestly this won t stop account sharing that is running wild through out the game sadly pwi didn t take this step further with people having the ability to turn this on or off i see no creditable result coming from this. Pwi is missing the mark an players will be still be trying to figure who is playing who in the game.

I play another game that has something similar to this and we got used to it over time. The one thing this other games client does is also verifies the login to the website, where you can change the email address, password and such - or apply codes - or make purchases. I'm guessing ARC will be the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ying - 101 Sage Venomancer RB2 // No Alts // Perfect World Player Since: May 2008
  • opkossy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My suggestion to the people in charge of implementing this would be to have to opt IN, instead of opt OUT, so that people who do not have email access don't automatically become incapable of accessing their accounts, and people who do have access and/or want the extra protection can enable it when it is an active feature.

It actually is opt in based on what it says. At least in practice even though it claims to be an opt out system.

The first computer you log in from the first time this goes up is automatically considered a safe computer. From there, you can choose to disable it or leave it be. If you choose to disable it, that's all there is to it and neither you, nor anyone else who logs on your account, will have to worry about it. If, on the other hand, you leave it be then you're essentially opting in as your first time getting on is your free pass.

In essence, unless you aren't the first person to log into your account with Arc once this goes live and/or you're account sharing with an idiot/someone who doesn't read you'll never have to actually bother with the system because you can immediately disable it without ever having to use a code.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hopefully this will allow you to add "safe" devices so you don't get notifications for just loading from a different PC.

Aside from that, I doubt this will give trouble to people who don't share accounts. Even if you are using an old's friend account this shouldnt cause a problem because the system doesn't have any register about ur old friend. For the system whoever logs for the first time on any character is going to be the legit owner.
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yep, and when you changed your email, you should have then updated all your accounts attached to it.
    or maybe it was a an e-mail account that got **** and was deleted.
    If that were the case and you did not change the email on the account, then you're dumber than you thought. I mean really. Common sense.
    or maybe the e-mail addy got lost
    In which case you should have submitted a ticket to update the email on all accounts associated with it to prevent future issues.... like this one...
    there's lots of reasons and by the way the majority pwi acounts that get **** is due to being idiots like sharing your account going to phishing sites promising you gold or just straight dumb people lthat download fake **** tools that end up keylogers guess what you deserve to get you account jacked lol morons.

just plain old common sense is usealy enough to protect your account this added security is an annoyance and what else is arc doing it almost sounds like there installing a key longer on to your system or spyware
    Apparently common sense is becoming a rarity, as you've just proven. b:chuckle

What they're doing with Arc isn't any different from the same kinds of security attached to hundreds of other products.

Here's a short list...
    Microsoft
    Adobe
    Origin
    Steam
    Google
    Facebook
    and a whole plethora of actual games, where this type of function is actually embedded into the client itself, not just the launcher.

time to get with the program guys and girls. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • condo2009
    condo2009 Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    b:angry That sucks reason why there's a game that does that if u have an old yahoo or hot mail account an no longer use it you lose your pwi account you guys seriously need to stop this you think you making things better but you constantly **** it up ever hear the expression it aint broke don't fix it .

i am glad that i made copys of all my pwi charges from my debit history.

f one of my accounts doesn't work because of this i can get a full refund threw the bbb and and that government agency that enforces laws for online protection and if you go to bbb you will see some people in the past got full refund of money that they investent in this game im looking at a couple a grand easlyb:pleased

how you going to do that when pwe is not a member of the bbb?
  • laiwaisan
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You had 6 years to change it then. What's your excuse?

Maybe because there was no need to b:pleased

I mean realy hadn't had any problems up till now duhb:chuckle

but i have played a game with this annoying feature i think its called -no- and this was very annoying even with complete access to my e-mail account lol.

if you don't believe me go ahead and download it and try to play it with the op out security and yes it does the e-mail thing every time including on disconnect and pwi might be worst because who here has had mass disconnects may i pleas i get a show of hands lolb:chuckle now add that with the special 5 times a day generated code after that 24 hour wait think about it.

what im trying to say this doesn't just effect people with mass accounts or lost old e-mails but every one in general like that horrific patch these guys suck at programing an implementing anything they don't even test this stuff first.

where the dang Guinea pigs
    OPKossy wrote: »
    It actually is opt in based on what it says. At least in practice even though it claims to be an opt out system.

The first computer you log in from the first time this goes up is automatically considered a safe computer. From there, you can choose to disable it or leave it be. If you choose to disable it, that's all there is to it and neither you, nor anyone else who logs on your account, will have to worry about it. If, on the other hand, you leave it be then you're essentially opting in as your first time getting on is your free pass.

In essence, unless you aren't the first person to log into your account with Arc once this goes live and/or you're account sharing with an idiot/someone who doesn't read you'll never have to actually bother with the system because you can immediately disable it without ever having to use a code.

Well if this part is true then i guess that be awesome then people who arnt puter saby can sleep better with extra security how ever if its not like you say it is and i get an annoying e-mail on every disconnect and have to generate random pass every time that will suck lol
  • flowingmizu
    flowingmizu Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options

Defender relies on a valid email address to send codes for identify verification. Before Defender is live you will want to ensure your Arc account email is correct. You can change your email in the Arc My Account panel at any time.

Is this true though? >.< I know that's what they sent to us, but I can't change my email without a message saying I have to contact support. b:surrender
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Is this true though? >.< I know that's what they sent to us, but I can't change my email without a message saying I have to contact support. b:surrender

That's when you need to open a ticket with the support team to change you email.

The answer is in the message.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Bagyra_ - Morai
    _Bagyra_ - Morai Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Somehow i do not see, how this can improve actual safety and reduce account hacking, but only as a one more attempt of support to be even more lazy than they are at the moment. From what i have heard lately most recently **** people got absolutely zero help from support by getting back their accounts or lost items due to these incidents and let's remember how many already quit due to pwi reseting passwords from all of the sudden. Even if people provide with all possible information like IP adresses etc, all of them get messages that pwi can not do anything.

how i see this defender as a complete waist of time in actually protecting accounts. imo this should be called "client sharing defender" as it will be only thing that this new feature will reduce at least by minimum.

well for simple reasons - i am almost 100 % sure hackers do not use arc. and most people will turn defender off or use arc bypass almost same moment it will come out. and what gonna happen then is that safety will stay at same level but support will have an excuse not to even try solve security breeches causee "ooops sorry we cant help u, cause u didnt use defender feature". and im rly not gonna use it cause sometimes when i visit some1 i simply wanna quickly pop in game do check in or some dailies and i dont want waist my time in passing all the procedures with arc defender
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    TZoner - Raging Tide Posts: 1,764 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I say every way to secure our accounts is also another way for hackers to get in. We really don't need this what we need is actual real time GM support in game as we should have. We need actual care for the game, real ticket support and a CM that isn't stretched between many different games. These are the many things we need but will we get it? No of course not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Bagyra_ - Morai
    edited November 2014
    Options
    TZoner you are completely right.

As well reminder that most hackers in pwi **** not for something else but for ingame coins, items etc. then why not provide us with something like ingame Whole inventory lock. when player can at any point set password to whole his inventory and nothing but coins for npcs teleport and so on could not be used from character inventory.

or unbind charms along with binding ones, so people could protect their items better. I remember some time ago when friend got **** he got answer that he should have bind his rank 9 gears, and they cant give it back to him. Which makes not much sense as how many normal people do bind bound gear? or why people should bind tradeable items when whole point of making lunar base g16 gear or warsoul weapons is possibility to sell them or re-use on other character.

PWI is not a game developer but as user of product, im sure they can ask developer to include such features instead of waisting resources on useless things
  • riffraffz
    riffraffz Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    sorry if i sound a bit dumb here but...

You need a valid email to play PWE correct?

So does that mean i have to download Arc twice to dual client? b:surrender
  • _Bagyra_ - Morai
    edited November 2014
    Options
    riffraffz wrote: »
    sorry if i sound a bit dumb here but...

You need a valid email to play PWE correct?

So does that mean i have to download Arc twice to dual client? b:surrender

No u dont need two arcs to dual client. Just need run element client twice
  • mysticalconumdrm
    mysticalconumdrm Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    when i use the same computer to log into the bank...it knows the computer i logged in on....
    now if i used another...even if it is a new one i just bought or my wifes..it sees it as a "different computer and asks those silly questions...and then asks if i want to add another computer...

so is this going to be like the bank does....
    use some cookie or bit of code to identify the safe computer
    and as long as i log into the game using the same computer...i am OK??
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,807 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    when i use the same computer to log into the bank...it knows the computer i logged in on....
    now if i used another...even if it is a new one i just bought or my wifes..it sees it as a "different computer and asks those silly questions...and then asks if i want to add another computer...

so is this going to be like the bank does....
    use some cookie or bit of code to identify the safe computer
    and as long as i log into the game using the same computer...i am OK??

Yer you should be fine. we have been told this will work with ARC (NOT PWI) that means if you know how to launch PWI with out arc your be fine to a point where ur need Arc. More info is below!
    heero200 wrote: »
    Really...

Enough with all the QQ already most programs like Arc to name none use this as well. Its a security feature and with all the problems so far this will help that little bit!

If your really gonna QQ over this some more just turn it off! It gives you first login so at least Arc can turn this off as most of the other Clients CANT!

May be a good time as well to check you still have access to that E-Mail account and its still Live! You should be able to check and change your E-mail HERE!

One other thing i think people will find usefull is this page Where it appears your be able to manage your ARC computers and security!.

Sorry little update More Support can be found HERE! This includes info on how to disable Arc Security.
    edited November 2014
    Options
    heero200 wrote: »
    Yer you should be fine. we have been told this will work with ARC (NOT PWI) that means if you know how to launch PWI with out arc your be fine to a point where ur need Arc. More info is below!

And if you aren't sure how to do that, I provide the information in my Sticky thread in the Technical Support forum here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]