putting a character to another server

archerlover101
archerlover101 Posts: 4 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Suggestion Box
i really think it would help the game a lot if u can switch from one server to another like guild wars 2...lols just suggesting cause ive got a 1000 ping ingame and want to move to a server with better ping where i can actually play without a 4 sec delay lag
Post edited by archerlover101 on

Comments

• Kaugummii - Morai
    Kaugummii - Morai Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Due to database reasons this wasnt possible and wont be possible soon.
    Please call me Ben.. that is who I am
    Morai - Kaugummi - BM
    Ragin tide - Mastersworde - BM 101
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    +1 to that

I believe they will make it impossible to go from PvE server to PvP server tho, if they ever make this service possible.

Many other games have this service available, i don't think its too difficult to implement, maybe would give more life to our current servers.

I do still believe they should merge dreamweaver with another server tho, population seems to be running low.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaugummii - Morai
    edited April 2014
    +1 to that

I believe they will make it impossible to go from PvE server to PvP server tho, if they ever make this service possible.

Many other games have this service available, i don't think its too difficult to implement, maybe would give more life to our current servers.

I do still believe they should merge dreamweaver with another server tho, population seems to be running low.

Agreed, why would they bother making a Service like this because then you end up with 75% of 1 server going to another server with their toon and then the other 25% will stick on a death server... Doesn't make sense thats why i believe more in merging then in swap server service.
    Morai - Kaugummi - BM
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,799 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Sorry All This is a most asked for item and is in the List so i cant log this.

See below INFO from that post.

Thanks,

We should be able to transfer servers!

This will not be happening anytime soon for two reasons.

A) The name cannot be changed because it interferes with the database

B) It has the potential for abuse by giving players an unfair advantage over others i.e PvE to PvP server and vice versa or an older server with better prices to a new server with more expensive prices. Suddenly that gear is more valuable

However, you can in fact save your characters look. Simply get a makeover scroll and save your character as a preset. Then when you make your new character you can use that preset to enjoy the same looks. Also with a bit of luck, your name hasn't been taken on the other server as they do not share a database with the exception of the European servers whose names do share a database. Also note that it is not expressly against the ToS to offer items and coins to other players on one server for items and coins on the other server. But you must exercise caution and do at your own risk. PWI cannot be held responsible if you lose your items to another player in a bad trade. Again this is NOT recommended by PWI (nor myself, to be honest) but it is also NOT against the terms of service. If you decide to do this, you do it your own risk.
  • Temptatio/V - Dreamweaver
    Temptatio/V - Dreamweaver Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    heero200 wrote: »

Thanks,

Yea I'm so happy I can save my presents, but i have to leave my r9rr toon b:victory

Just let us European switch servers so we can participate in events and stop being tide up to servers where we cant do anything because of time, while you refuse to make any time changes to be more suitable for us.

And seriously that response with names is completely stupid since we have ability to change names with stones. So stop making that as an excuse.

Also respond that it will harm economy is completely false, cause you can make it available one time in six months or so and price for item can be like 50 gold or something (would pay even 100$I). Other games have that system and it doesn't effects servers economy at all.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,799 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    I feel the same myself about this sometimes my self.

When we say databases we don't just mean 1 Database. The game uses several Including a Name, unique ID, Faction, and others. Moving your toon to a different server with out having this programmed so the system can deal with it would be a nightmare.(Designing this to work would also be a fun project!) When you make an account it gives you a ID Number and you get an ID number for the Server per toon. You have Seven( I believe spaces to make different toons.) so your first id could be 008111 your second would be 008112, 008113 ETC. This is the reason you can have any more toons to that one account. Keeping in mind each server has the same set-up. Even a server merge would cause issues if not done correctly.

This is one of the many reasons we don't have cross server events, a shared market and a few other things other games may have. The main thing to keep in mind is the Game was never designed to do what we are asking of it (Not to add into this the current server setup.) My last point is PWCN has around 2/3 time zones where its designed. PWI has a 24 H time zone and not all servers where around when this first came to light.

For now if you can keep playing on your server as one day I hope this will be possible or in some idea better for multiple time zones. All i can give you for now. Sorry.

Thanks,
  • Kaugummii - Morai
    edited April 2014

When we say databases we don't just mean 1 Database. The game uses several Including a Name, unique ID, Faction, and others. Moving your toon to a different server with out having this programmed so the system can deal with it would be a nightmare.(Designing this to work would also be a fun project!) When you make an account it gives you a ID Number and you get an ID number for the Server per toon. You have Seven( I believe spaces to make different toons.) so your first id could be 008111 your second would be 008112, 008113 ETC. This is the reason you can have any more toons to that one account. Keeping in mind each server has the same set-up. Even a server merge would cause issues if not done correctly.

This is one of the many reasons we don't have cross server events, a shared market and a few other things other games may have. The main thing to keep in mind is the Game was never designed to do what we are asking of it (Not to add into this the current server setup.) My last point is PWCN has around 2/3 time zones where its designed. PWI has a 24 H time zone and not all servers where around when this first came to light.

For now if you can keep playing on your server as one day I hope this will be possible or in some idea better for multiple time zones. All i can give you for now. Sorry.

Thanks,

Not to forget all the relations that are laying between the databases as forum and archiefments tho that one is unable on arc atm.
    Morai - Kaugummi - BM
    edited April 2014

Thanks,

Thx. So to sums it up - until we see that PWI2 is being release, by some miracle we can forget about server transfer, cross server events....b:surrender
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited April 2014

Thanks,

The biggest issue is that KrittyCat's reply is pretty much out-dated. Over time PWE choose to put in more time-based content and create several time-zone servers to support this. Not having a transfer option during all that time is really a big flaw and huge source of frustration mainly for older players. Hence why it keeps coming up.

The abuse argument is just ... lol. No real comment. It's not like anyone is asking to change every week. There could be a limitation in time or a fee to it.

For tranfer options, maybe having gear and lvls transfered is complicated. However, there are a lot of "partial options" that would be possible. Considering how DQ points worked and how zen was bought then transfered, there could be a way to have at least gold/coin be transfered. Even if this would be insufficient for many (mainly gear, lvl, shards and refines that are bound can't be transfered in any way), it's still a start that avoids the "have to start all over" effect.
    edited April 2014
    trands wrote: »
    The biggest issue is that KrittyCat's reply is pretty much out-dated. Over time PWE choose to put in more time-based content and create several time-zone servers to support this. Not having a transfer option during all that time is really a big flaw and huge source of frustration mainly for older players. Hence why it keeps coming up.

The abuse argument is just ... lol. No real comment. It's not like anyone is asking to change every week. There could be a limitation in time or a fee to it.

For transfer options, maybe having gear and lvls transfered is complicated. However, there are a lot of "partial options" that would be possible. Considering how DQ points worked and how zen was bought then transfered, there could be a way to have at least gold/coin be transfered. Even if this would be insufficient for many (mainly gear, lvl, shards and refines that are bound can't be transfered in any way), it's still a start that avoids the "have to start all over" effect.

While I was reading your post something else cross my mind, maybe its silly but wander is that possible.

I'm sure that character preset or names are the last of the issues people would have if they have possibility to switch server. Most important part is ofc gear and money.

So is it possible (due to current state of this game) to, if you wish to switch server, PWI gods shut down your character here, then after making new char on other server they send you same amount of money and gear you had (similar to the way they send you gear when someone get **** or scammed)?
    That wouldn't technically be transfer.. would be just sending people gear they don't have anymore.
    I know that would make them work more for certain period of time, so highly unlikely that is something they wont be willing to do, but just for my curiosity is that possible?
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited April 2014
    So is it possible (due to current state of this game) to, if you wish to switch server, PWI gods shut down your character here, then after making new char on other server they send you same amount of money and gear you had (similar to the way they send you gear when someone get **** or scammed)?
    That wouldn't technically be transfer.. would be just sending people gear they don't have anymore.
    I know that would make them work more for certain period of time, so highly unlikely that is something they wont be willing to do, but just for my curiosity is that possible?

Yes this is possible in theory for sure, but I can understand PWE will never give such a service. It would take way to much time and will concern way to many players. It is possible for them to spawn items, so they could spawn the exp items needed for a lvl and gear/orbs/shards/mirages/etc. But just imagen you have to check what is "shut down/deleted" then spawn it on another server, and this for probably thousands of players demanding that at once ... I think stats are also random if GM spawn items, so that would leave unhappy ppl ...

Personally, I think it would already be something if you could take off something like gold or coins of the server and then put it in another. DQ points allowed to do that. So it's possible and should be not to hard considering they have a model. Linking the server economies could have some bad consequences, but seeing what my server is at ... it would only be positive b:laugh
    edited April 2014
    trands wrote: »
    Yes this is possible in theory for sure, but I can understand PWE will never give such a service. It would take way to much time and will concern way to many players. It is possible for them to spawn items, so they could spawn the exp items needed for a lvl and gear/orbs/shards/mirages/etc. But just imagen you have to check what is "shut down/deleted" then spawn it on another server, and this for probably thousands of players demanding that at once ... I think stats are also random if GM spawn items, so that would leave unhappy ppl ...

Personally, I think it would already be something if you could take off something like gold or coins of the server and then put it in another. DQ points allowed to do that. So it's possible and should be not to hard considering they have a model. Linking the server economies could have some bad consequences, but seeing what my server is at ... it would only be positive b:laugh

kk thx for answer, was thinking that would require lot of work.
    idk...I keep thinking that if they seriously wished to find a solution...they probably would.