Merged Skill Opinions

Options
Alphaben - Raging Tide
Alphaben - Raging Tide Posts: 226 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Wizard
What is everyone's thought on the new merged skills coming with the expansion tomorrow? (or atleast it should be)

Info of what's known so far: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1652881

Would they be worth it to you?

Will they use up more mana then the single skills?

How long would you farm for the mats to make them?

Will the channeling be based on the lowest or highest channel skill in the group?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Alphaben - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Anything short of explosive ecstatic **** would be a complete under-reaction to the new skills wizards are getting.

I don't know how you managed to type your post without jizzing all over yourself.

Wiz will have so many ways to insta-gib someone with Frozen Flame...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • AlphaOmegaX - Dreamweaver
    AlphaOmegaX - Dreamweaver Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Finally we got skills thats worthy for the class of wizzard. b:dirty b:cool
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hard to say, I want to know more about the skills (and other classes's skills) before forming too much of an opinion. Hearing about archers with 90-120k patk (unsparked) and new headhunt hitting harder than current triple sparked headhunt sounds pretty scary.. hopefully the devs know what they are doing lol. I don't even know if the new glacial snare/emberstorm merger will be available in stone barrier, or whether it is going to be fire/water damage.. or whether the description is even correct. Time will tell how it all works out :P
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hearing about archers with 90-120k patk (unsparked)

Pan Gu be praised b:dirty
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hard to say, I want to know more about the skills (and other classes's skills) before forming too much of an opinion. Hearing about archers with 90-120k patk (unsparked) and new headhunt hitting harder than current triple sparked headhunt sounds pretty scary.. hopefully the devs know what they are doing lol. I don't even know if the new glacial snare/emberstorm merger will be available in stone barrier, or whether it is going to be fire/water damage.. or whether the description is even correct. Time will tell how it all works out :P

To be fair the defense numbers for arcane classes are also through the roof...arcanes with 40-50k p. def will still take less than 3k damage from an archer with 100k p. attack...you need insane damage numbers when you have over 90% p. def...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited December 2013
    Options
    To be fair the defense numbers for arcane classes are also through the roof...arcanes with 40-50k p. def will still take less than 3k damage from an archer with 100k p. attack...you need insane damage numbers when you have over 90% p. def...

I actually hadn't seen the stats for arcanes, and you are correct.. with the right defenses everything should balance out. I just want to see how everything fits together before forming too much of an opinion :P
  • Breannak - Raging Tide
    Breannak - Raging Tide Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Looking forward to this skill frozen flame, sounds so good.
  • DeathProof - Dreamweaver
    DeathProof - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I'm very happy with the skills / upgrades Wizards are getting, I like how they are finally making other shields than stone barrier useful, and once A Wizard learns the right timing for shields, it will be even deadlier than before.

I do think this update for skills is worse for Demon wizards, than Sage ones, because Demon's are losing A control skill, Emberstorm(and Pitfall's Demon stun rate) if they upgrade the skill.

Also the new Pyroshell will be quite OP when used with Sage BIDS (nom nom 60% crit).

Is Ice Prison going the be modified to no chi cost? I think I read it somewhere before but didn't notice it in Asterelle's post.
  • Dragslave - Dreamweaver
    Dragslave - Dreamweaver Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    im really excited about new content, i want to reincarnate but not rush through levels really. Also about new skills, i agree with DeathProof, losing emberstorm is a major fall for demons, i will miss it, has such great uses.

If archers get that much att, crit and better damage in skills, will suck really, cause casters today have good p.def, but once purge procs, survival reduces a lot and fast, and is not always easy to redo SB at time.

The use of the other shields will be great, water shield will let us 1 vs 1 against arcanes gaining great amounts of chi, fire one will create really fun wiz vs wiz duels as well XD

Overall im LF to the expansion, but tbh i dont wanna lose skills to gain new ones...
  • Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear
    Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I think the new shields is going to provide another level of wizard gameplay for (group) pvp. They have low channel/cast (0.2sec/0.3sec) and cost almost no chi (10 chi). This will give wizards the opportunity to switch shields in the middle of a battle to quickly adapt to the situation.

Just some situations I can quickly think of:
    Use fire shield before diving into people with IG and drop a BT. Use earth when you are getting pushed back to try hold the line. Switch to water shield when travelling or when finishing-off scrubs, so that you can conserve on genie-energy/pot for sparks and prepare for the next wave of people.

I wouldnt be surprise if the next tw wiz video would have his shields on hotkeys D:<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mynameiswizy
    mynameiswizy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    why not our ultimate that get merged?
    lol

I mean we wizard are suppossed to be a mass destruction class.
    :(
    we miss that da-Boom aoe damage from long time ago:'(

anw,
    really nice job reworked those Shields.
    I'm really curious bout it.
  • Leni - Raging Tide
    Leni - Raging Tide Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    What i really wanna know is what element is Frozen Flame.

-Is it gonna be half water half fire like BT is fire/phys?

-Is it gonna be water or fire depending on the shield?

-And what if you have Stone Barrier on?

-Maybe it's gonna be "non-elemental" like Mystic's Absorb Soul?

And idk, maybe that's gonna be our new finishing move because from the description i think it can hit harder than ulties.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Is Ice Prison going the be modified to no chi cost? I think I read it somewhere before but didn't notice it in Asterelle's post.

No. Appears all of those extra skills were for the new starter area where you can test out skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Bromeas - Sanctuary
    Bromeas - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So since it's totally possible to get the first skill on the first day already (and for wizzies it's luckily Frozen Flame) of course I already got it.

Testing so far showed that it does 2 hits, but unlike BT it's not the stated amount of damage for each hit, but for both together, so basically it does 2 times 50% basic magic attack + 400% weapon damage + roughly 5k (each hit does about the same damage as Pyrogram or Gush).

Second you don't need to use Pyroshell or Glacial Embrace for the status effects.

The first hit is water damage that slows the enemy definitely by the stated amount and the second hit is fire damage which has the stun chance.

It is about a 0.5 second delay between the first and second hit, so I guess the first hit can tick a persons charm and the second hit will hit them after the charmtick, so not too great in some situations, but at least you get a definite slow and a stun chance.

Oh and it gives 30 chi with 30 second cooldown, 2 sec channel and 1.8 sec cast.

That should cover pretty much everything about Frozen Flame so far. b:chuckle

EDIT: Forgot to mention that both hits can crit individually, so you can have either, both or none crit.
    Just because I don't write on forums too often, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the info!
    Now things are more clear and I'd guess that's how most (if not all) merged skills work.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So since it's totally possible to get the first skill on the first day already (and for wizzies it's luckily Frozen Flame) of course I already got it.

Testing so far showed that it does 2 hits, but unlike BT it's not the stated amount of damage for each hit, but for both together, so basically it does 2 times 50% basic magic attack + 400% weapon damage + roughly 5k (each hit does about the same damage as Pyrogram or Gush).

Second you don't need to use Pyroshell or Glacial Embrace for the status effects.

The first hit is water damage that slows the enemy definitely by the stated amount and the second hit is fire damage which has the stun chance.

It is about a 0.5 second delay between the first and second hit, so I guess the first hit can tick a persons charm and the second hit will hit them after the charmtick, so not too great in some situations, but at least you get a definite slow and a stun chance.

Oh and it gives 30 chi with 30 second cooldown, 2 sec channel and 1.8 sec cast.

That should cover pretty much everything about Frozen Flame so far. b:chuckle

Oh okay, doesn't seem that bad then. The two hits should do slightly more than a pyro, but it's basically a faster version of a pyro/gush cycle, except with a 50% stun chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Dragslave - Dreamweaver
    Dragslave - Dreamweaver Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I was so happy with Frozen Flame, untill i saw we got screwed up again.

Skill damage is ****, is like gush + pyrogram, 800% weapon damage... LOL

Appart from that i love the skill and im already imagining many uses for it, but it sucks the low damage, i thought this was going to be my "op killer skill"
  • Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver
    Ragamufinsin - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Appart from that i love the skill and im already imagining many uses for it, but it sucks the low damage, i thought this was going to be my "op killer skill"

U urself are OP =_=b:angryb:angryb:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I was so happy with Frozen Flame, untill i saw we got screwed up again.

Skill damage is ****, is like gush + pyrogram, 800% weapon damage... LOL

Keep in mind 50% base is around 300% weapon damage at current magic levels, so the two hits are very roughly equivalent to "100% base + 100% weapon + 5000".

Our mag is so high nowadays that I'm willing to bet your Ice dragon barely even hits that much harder than Gush, especially after 150 extra stat points. Almost every wiz uses Blade Tempest nowdays, mainly because it counts base magic attack twice and so is still a monster at 800+ magic.

It's almost like a mini-sutra that doesn't cost chi. Actually, it's pretty damn strong in a sutra combo itself...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• mynameiswizy
    edited December 2013
    Options
    it seem like that's gonna be an opener skill not a finishing skill

!@#$ that fish class get the best new DPH skill then, not us b:shocked
  • junesoo
    junesoo Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    It's a good boost damage wise for wizards with lower magic/weapon though, but overall the class did benefit with more range control especially once we learn that skill Sandfall.
  • juicybluca
    juicybluca Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    the skill was supposed to be a uber skill.... instead it is meh

CCs are kinda random wearing any kind of shield, the damage is similar to basic skills...
    they should've made that skill as a single hit, that would've been legit... this is kinda good only in 1on1 situations to bypass a 75% hp dude sparking the fire hit
  • juicybluca
    edited December 2013
    Options
    the skill was supposed to be a uber skill.... instead it is meh

CCs are kinda random wearing any kind of shield, the damage is similar to basic skills...
    they should've made that skill as a single hit, that would've been legit... this is kinda good only in 1on1 situations to bypass a 75% hp dude sparking the fire hit
  • w34kd0g
    w34kd0g Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So the stun works with stone barrier as well? What's the range on the skill and could you record it please? Sage stuns for 4 seconds right? o.o
  • juicybluca
    edited December 2013
    Options
    w34kd0g wrote: »
    So the stun works with stone barrier as well? What's the range on the skill and could you record it please? Sage stuns for 4 seconds right? o.o

stun and slow work on stone barrier

i really regret that i exchanged my demon emberstorm for this ****
  • w34kd0g
    w34kd0g Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    juicybluca wrote: »
    stun and slow work on stone barrier

i really regret that i exchanged my demon emberstorm for this ****

Only worth it for sage I guess. b:surrender
  • FaceRolI - Sanctuary
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    just curious, though i dont know how anyone would know yet..

what happens if u get merged skill and then swap cultis after?

I would think that the skill would stay, like morai skills do, but since there is a sage and demon version...

anyways getting the 16% resistance first, ty for info b:thanks
    full r999 91% chan wizzy b:kiss

Current build: pwcalc.com/bf1f46790766e26d
    LuLz: pwcalc.com/20f3fa96ab3c4dc0
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So these skill updates are going to change things quite a bit.

It's kinda **** that the mergers take away both of our hardest non-chi nukes (sandstorm + glacial snare).. I was thinking that frozen flame would be the replacement, but as has been already said, it is two separate hits and is more of a dps/cc control than a skill to bypass someone with. I'm sage, and I'm already missing emberstorm.. the instant cast aoe was really nice for pv and frost heads, and the instant 20 chi was useful too. All in all though, at least for sage, frozen flame is worth it imo. I like having a cheap stun (actually gives 30 chi), and having those two hits back to back can be useful for some things. It's been particularly useful against sins with deaden on.. get them kinda low and finish with frozen flame. Many sins will immune after deaden ticks.. and frozen flame won't give them that opportunity. It could also be useful as a skill to tick someone's charm, first hit ticks and then you get an automatic mini pyro to start working their hp down before their next charm tick (along with a chance to stun).

I haven't gotten the new sandstorm/pitfall merger yet (obviously), but that seems like it'll be pretty interesting too. I'm REALLY going to miss pitfall.. that is easily one of my favorite skills. It is such a fast little poke skill.. instant damage makes it just fantastic finisher, so poo :( Sandstorm is also a pretty good nuke, although I don't use it all that often. Maybe it's because so much of our damage is coming from matk now, the damage difference between gush and sandstorm really doesn't justify the extra long chan/cast time for most situations. I get the impression the new skill is going to hit for pretty decent initially, then give a decentish dot which will be pretty nice. I'm looking forward to the dot helping vs veno pets and also just to further work somebody's hp down after a charm tick. It seems like as a class we are left with spark for DPH (bypassing charm), and mortal/sandfall/frozen flame to help with working somebody's hp down before their charm can tick again (DPS). I'm thinking something like getting them to where sandfall will leave them near half then: undine -> sandfall -> frozen flame -> faceroll and if it looks like it'll be close but not quite, a mortal + sandfall again for another shot at it (where they start lower hp).

The new barriers also look interesting, the lower chi cost and much faster chan/cast (.2/.3) times are going to make it possible to swap between them frequently in pk.. I'm really looking forward to sitting in fire barrier when full buffed for 40%+ crit (with new passives).. and being able to get back in stone barrier after a purge or when I'm focused or w/e else almost instantly. The extra chi from water barrier is going to be really nice after dying or in any free time to get a little chi back.

Aoe frostblade seems worthless..

I guess time will tell, but I kinda like the changes so far :P
  • mynameiswizy
    edited December 2013
    Options
    It's been particularly useful against sins with deaden on.. get them kinda low and finish with frozen flame. Many sins will immune after deaden ticks.. and frozen flame won't give them that opportunity.
    I think it will yeah very good vs Fish class

Deaden and Tidal Protection from sin,
    agains Tidal Protection :
    having 2 chance of CC ing is good (Slow and Stun). 1 miss, maybe the other land nice then.

Against SoR from Psy ,
    has Anyone try it to SoR Psy?
    in my logic the Slow will be reflected but the Stun will hit. because Ice first then Fire does.

or maybe is it just in my logic...?

anw, I hope Newest Wiz Video will come soon from you Adroit!
    cuz I know It will gonna be AWESOME
    b:laugh b:laugh
  • Leni - Raging Tide
    Leni - Raging Tide Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I was really excited at first about Frozen Flame, but after seeing barb's new Mighty Swing that proc'd my puri but i still got that faint effect and has only 6 sec cooldown and sin's Elimination that freezes and unleashes a barrage of hits that's equally as fast as APSing AND bleed with a very small cooldown too, im starting to think that FF is lame -.-

Dmg would be nice but its split in 2, cooldown is too long and chance to stun is only 50-60%. If it was a single shot or 15 sec cooldown or 90% chance to stun it would be nice, but the way it is it just seems halfas$ed to me.

As a sage, i really love it. I miss Snare and Emberstorm but was a good tradeoff imo, poor demons got scammed tho. But i keep thinking that compared to what other classes got its just... halfas$ed.

On another note, anyone notices Stone Rain cooling down faster? Mine says 6 sec cd but at 39% chan i can do SR->Pyro->SR with almost no delay, and if i do SR->Pyro->Gush->SR, SR finishes cd while im still casting gush. It feels like 3-4 sec cd.