Orb sale and the consequences of this action.

Options

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Gold IS currency. Think of coins and gold as the currencies of two different nations: the pve farmer nation, and the boutique nation. If something happens to increase the value/desireability of boutique items, more players will "import" items from the boutique nation, thus increasing the demand + price for their currency.

The pve farmers nation is just having problems because their government is **** and keeps printing money, placing them inside mobs, and having them shower coins when they die, as well as handing out massive amounts of free coin to landowners.
    Now we just need a battle slogan for the PvE farmer nation. b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FistToDeath - Dreamweaver
    FistToDeath - Dreamweaver Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Gold IS currency. Think of coins and gold as the currencies of two different nations: the pve farmer nation, and the boutique nation. If something happens to increase the value/desireability of boutique items, more players will "import" items from the boutique nation, thus increasing the demand + price for their currency.

The pve farmers nation is just having problems because their government is **** and keeps printing money, placing them inside mobs, and having them shower coins when they die, as well as handing out massive amounts of free coin to landowners.

DON'T YOU TOUCH MY TW COINS! b:angry

And yeah, this is a way to say it as well. And the AH fee is the import tax. b:surrender
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Oh, sure. Ofc I do believe you. I just use "GM" as a short for "PWI employee" (and I also use "Dev" as short for "Wanmei employee").

Sorry about that.

Anyway, marketing team probably should use some feedback from the GMs to know what's more in demand in the servers on average. Probably a hard task, since there are quite a few servers with different ages, so what everyone needs isn't exactly the same.
    Please block that guy you responded to. I was a GM that worked in the F2P MMORPG industry who also did "marketing", I did press tours, community management, uploaded media to video game websites, and helped direct a PR firm on how to market our game. So yes, GM's do marketing too, or more precisely, a GM's role is determined by the company, not by a random forum user that should be blocked.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    And really, its better to start understanding it properly because real life is not that much different. Times are changing and the coming decades will not likely be easy ones. (resources running out + power shifting to asia + possible climate problems + spoiled and lazy population in western world)
    He who understands best will come trough all this the best.

And to the rest of the discussion. You are all now into semantics. It doesnt matter what the powers of a GM are. It doesnt matter what people in what function within PWI are those who can control things. The fact is, PWI has pure and total control over the PWI economy and we can say and wish what we want, but it is part of their bussiness model. They wont listen to what we want :)
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Please block that guy you responded to. I was a GM that worked in the F2P MMORPG industry who also did "marketing", I did press tours, community management, uploaded media to video game websites, and helped direct a PR firm on how to market our game. So yes, GM's do marketing too, or more precisely, a GM's role is determined by the company, not by a random forum user that should be blocked.
    omg janus was a dirty gm too b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
    edited November 2013
    Options
    such seriousness over a gumball sale b:shocked
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited November 2013
    Options
    We're actually not really running out of resources. Not even close. As oil production technology progresses, those same engineers are now realizing the sheer amount of energy still available.

In the next 10-20 years the US will actually become one of the top producers of oil in the world. Why? Because by some chance we happen to be sitting on one of the largest shale oil reserves in the world, and technology right now is on the cusp of being able to access all of this oil cheaply. We will have enough reserves to probably last us another 800 years.

By then, who knows what else we can come up with?

I am not only talking about oil and neither am i talking about only 10-20 years. Many resources are bound to run out during this century, some vitally important one like phosphates (for fertilising our crops) are to run out in the first half of this century.

Try to look at the big picture:

We have a planet full of resources. We have humanity starting some 2.500.000years ago. 10.000 years ago, relatively recent really, humanity starts farming and begins to change from something insigniciant into a race that can control its food suply and growth.
    We do not utilize this control but grow mindless. Humanity grows exponentially.
    Last century or 2, we started to really lift of and use those resources, again at an exponentially growing rate. We are at a key point in the history of this world. For many millenia the world has been evolving in a sustainable way. When something was not sustainable, it died out. Now we are in this tiny blib of time on universal scale depleting the world of its resources and polluting the environment. Population is still growing exponentially and all those people still want more and more luxuries.

Obviously that cannot go on. Surely there are solutions:
    -recycling
    -getting resources from space
    -sustainable energy

We are working on these changes and we will continue to do so. We simply have to. Implementing these changes is a huge burden on our economy though. All effort we put into researching and implementing all this new stuff is not energy put into creating the luxuries and consumables we all want. Thus, we will have to do a step back. This is the process of the 21th centure and that it has started is clear to anyone who opens his eyes and looks around him.
    Somewhere down the line in the futre we will have solved these problems and we will again go into an uptrend of prosperity. I think that will be the second half of this century though. And i also think it will be only for a select few. Already out of 7 billion people in this world only 1 billion do live in prosperity. That i think will only get worse.

Reading tip: Ishmael - Daniel Quin
    Dangerous exponentials
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options

im offended that your post count is higher than mine >:O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Peccable - Raging Tide
    Peccable - Raging Tide Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    TIL pwi community is full of economy professors and economy nobel prize winners.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited November 2013
    Options
    TIL pwi community is full of economy professors and economy nobel prize winners.

I wish it were true. To me it looks like it is full of kids who have never even read anything written by a professor or nobel prize winner.
  • wiktor99rr
    wiktor99rr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Being a GM for a few other titles, I can definitively state that the above statement is a load of ****.

Especially from the standpoint of the company. Coin sinks are common, and de-stabilizing the economy to push more people to purchase the gold with real money instead of pixels is a regular practice. GM's have nothing to do with creating the sinks, de-stabilizing the economy, and most definitely aren't tasked with micro-managing the games economy.

On top of that, you're QQ-ing about a small increase. You'd be better off QQ-ing that gold isn't the 100k that it was when this game started, or the 400k standard that was set with the release of packs. Hell, when RT was released, the coin price of gold on Sanctuary literally doubled. Guess what, it's still there.

And seriously, it's been said already in this thread, and you seem too think to understand...
    The price of gold is set and controlled by the players on your server. If your server has greedy ****s, move or quit playing. Adapt and move on, or get outta the game.

I am sorry for refeering to the marketing administrator as a GM i know this is SOMEWHAT faulty and it was influenced by the post before me.
    edited November 2013
    Options

I was only a runner up for nobel prize. :(
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I have enough Nobel prizes to use them as firewood.

Though the way this topic drags around amuses me so do carry on.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,807 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Options
    O im sure they knew exactly what they where doing here

Phase 1>
    Give a code to give out 10* orbs take it off-line before everyone can use it.
    Phase 2>
    Give orbs out on sale because a lot of people have now powered up their gear and will want to catch up and will pay to do so.
    Phase 3>
    Now you have most people caught up, put the 11* n 12* orbs on offer for the people who have to get people who didn't want to spend money to do so.
    Phase 4>
    Worked out no one has really gone for this idea put on 15% extra zen...

WOW that was a rather good game plan, and you get the idea... Strange...
  • wiktor99rr
    edited November 2013
    Options
    heero200 wrote: »
    O im sure they knew exactly what they where doing here

Phase 1>
    Give a code to give out 10* orbs take it off-line before everyone can use it.
    Phase 2>
    Give orbs out on sale because a lot of people have now powered up their gear and will want to catch up and will pay to do so.
    Phase 3>
    Now you have most people caught up, put the 11* n 12* orbs on offer for the people who have to get people who didn't want to spend money to do so.
    Phase 4>
    Worked out no one has really gone for this idea put on 15% extra zen...

WOW that was a rather good game plan, and you get the idea... Strange...

i know this conspiracy theory looks quite good on paper but lets refrain from such unofficial plots :)
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options

Nope it's just full of people who think everything is doomed. Basically a bunch of depressive emos posting on forums.

DW, everything will be okay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Nope it's just full of people who think everything is doomed. Basically a bunch of depressive emos posting on forums.

I like you, you seem nice.
  • wiktor99rr
    edited November 2013
    Options

I for one don't think everything is doomed, i do however feel sad when people i fancy leave the game because of this exact feeling D:
  • Atrocious - Heavens Tear
    Atrocious - Heavens Tear Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    I have enough Nobel prizes to use them as firewood.

Though the way this topic drags around amuses me so do carry on.

Really? Because they're worth a million USD a piece. So how bout you buy us all a few orbs as holiday presents, since you're more loaded than Santa.
    Veteran PWIer.
    Trolled by PWI for 5* years and counting.
    You have gained the status: Immune to trolls.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Really? Because they're worth a million USD a piece. So how bout you buy us all a few orbs as holiday presents, since you're more loaded than Santa.

But it's really cold at his home right now.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,807 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Options
    wiktor99rr wrote: »
    i know this conspiracy theory looks quite good on paper but lets refrain from such unofficial plots :)

unofficial is not the word i would use, I would say this whole idea was planed from day 1. Give eveyone 10* orbs and people would charge for 11* n 12*. Ill just bet that the original plan did not have a backup plan in case something went wrong. Standard and it did no backup plan.

Hum ay... ill give them one thing will make them some money however this plays out. Just a shame they cant get things to work correctly.

I do have 1 question tho... last time they tried to put 11* n 12* orbs in cash shop it caused server problems... has this been fixed or are we due to the same mistakes over and over. It struggles to me that a company wont learn from its mistakes.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    sorry kossy needs to pimp my chara first
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    heero200 wrote: »
    I do have 1 question tho... last time they tried to put 11* n 12* orbs in cash shop it caused server problems... has this been fixed or are we due to the same mistakes over and over. It struggles to me that a company wont learn from its mistakes.

There never was a problem with the orbs, it was all smoke and mirrors
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Archaius - Dreamweaver
    Archaius - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    wait for the sale to end, it only lasts one day. Gold will readjust. next.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    wait for the sale to end, it only lasts one day. Gold will readjust. next.

Actually this was not even necessary to wait that long.
    +11-12 orbs sale is still on, and current gold price on Morai is between 2,3M and 2,5M.
    I asked to some guildmates and they told me that this was the kind of prices that were at the auction quite all day long. So it might be a little above what we had on the previous weeks, but not that much and this is far from the 3,5M announced in the opener post.

I guess some people tried to increase the prices when they noticed the sales, but that didn't last long...
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Originally Posted by Burnout - Harshlands View Post

In the next 10-20 years the US will actually become one of the top producers of oil in the world. Why? Because by some chance we happen to be sitting on one of the largest shale oil reserves in the world, and technology right now is on the cusp of being able to access all of this oil cheaply. We will have enough reserves to probably last us another 800 years.

You are quite an optimistic one to think Earth will still be an habitable planet in 800 years at the rate the human race is destroying it at the moment.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    karmelia wrote: »
    You are quite an optimistic one to think Earth will still be an habitable planet in 800 years at the rate the human race is destroying it at the moment.

Pretty sure that meteor 65 million years ago and the massive ice ages that followed caused more damage to the planet than humans ever caused. Gee I wonder how Earth got through that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Pretty sure that meteor 65 million years ago and the massive ice ages that followed caused more damage to the planet than humans ever caused. Gee I wonder how Earth got through that.

I agree earth went trough a lot worse than us and will survive us too. If it is going to be really habitable for us, is a different matter though. While earth got trough that meteor and those ice ages, the dinosaurs did not. Earth will survive, but it is less certain we will. (together with lots of other species, but indeed evolution will do its work again and repopulate the planet after whatever we did to it) George carlin said it very nicely.
  • wiktor99rr
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I agree earth went trough a lot worse than us and will survive us too. If it is going to be really habitable for us, is a different matter though. While earth got trough that meteor and those ice ages, the dinosaurs did not. Earth will survive, but it is less certain we will. (together with lots of other species, but indeed evolution will do its work again and repopulate the planet after whatever we did to it) George carlin said it very nicely.

+1 for George carlin
    edited November 2013
    Options

Everytime people say stuff like that I remember of Malthus and how wrong he was for not counting on mankind's expertise on survival to develop new ways to produce food. It's the same thing all over now.

Which is good, cause everytime I think of Malthus I think of Chesterton, and that cheers me up.