Op Wizard or Op Psychic ?

Options
magixstar
magixstar Posts: 13 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
Decided to give melee a break and level up Either my Wizard or my Psy to 100 , they are almost 90, anyway wich will make me a nicer Char ? R999 Wizard or R999 Psychic? For PVP That is. I want it to to be seriously op and awesome caster. b:bye Thanks for the input.
Post edited by magixstar on

Comments

• Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    magixstar wrote: »
    Decided to give melee a break and level up Either my Wizard or my Psy to 100 , they are almost 90, anyway wich will make me a nicer Char ? R999 Wizard or R999 Psychic? For PVP That is. I want it to to be seriously op and awesome caster. b:bye Thanks for the input.

b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    b:laugh
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm gonna be biased and say Psychic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm gonna be biased and say Psychic.

I'm going to be logical and say wizard.

With endgame gears, wizzies have the required dmg output to take out other well geared players (spark, undine, ults). Psy may be harder to kill in white, but after a purge, wiz have much a higher survivability to dmg ratio.

DPS arcane sucks
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm going to be logical and say wizard.

With endgame gears, wizzies have the required dmg output to take out other well geared players (spark, undine, ults). Psy may be harder to kill in white, but after a purge, wiz have much a higher survivability to dmg ratio.

DPS arcane sucks

I still say Psychic b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Both classes seem over-hyped to me. People that favor them tend to zero in on the single hit numbers and be the type to announce their crits in squad (despite most often being much lower than mine -lol). Despite wiz being my least favorite of the 4 mage classes I play: I'd choose it for the sole fact that you can account share all equips that a wiz uses with most of the other mage classes (weapon). Weapons are one of the biggest expenses and you can't go so wrong if you end up realizing that veno, cleric, or mystic would've been a much better choice.
  • SMASHnHEAL - Dreamweaver
    SMASHnHEAL - Dreamweaver Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    thumbs wrote: »
    Both classes seem over-hyped to me. People that favor them tend to zero in on the single hit numbers and be the type to announce their crits in squad (despite most often being much lower than mine -lol). Despite wiz being my least favorite of the 4 mage classes I play: I'd choose it for the sole fact that you can account share all equips that a wiz uses with most of the other mage classes (weapon). Weapons are one of the biggest expenses and you can't go so wrong if you end up realizing that veno, cleric, or mystic would've been a much better choice.

The problem being in this case he wants to go r9rr so will not be sharing a weapon with other toons...

I personally haven't played a psy so I can't offer too much there. A wiz has better all round defences and if played right will be able to reduce the amount of damage they would take with there blinks, reduce crit skill and arcane light.

End of the day they are both pretty OP at 3rd cast level so it would really come down to your playstyle and which one you liked better to play.
  • getdenoobedkk
    getdenoobedkk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Played since 2008 and pretty much every class to an end, except for venos and mystics. Depends on your play style of course but I personally would take Wizzy no matter how annoying 1v1 Psy might be. Wizards despite slow casting and lack of CC is one sick puppy when it comes to group or 1v1 PVP wearing R3, more so group pvp though.

Now Ive been inactive on official servers for a year or so (Pservs FTW) but with todays metagame I'm leaning towards demon Wiz (Back in the day it was a nobrainer and pretty much default choice to go Sage Wiz)

All in all both classes are good and able to whoop some serious ***. It is actually the hardest question personally for me, who is better at R3 full Josd Wiz or Psy, one thing for sure tho Wiz is not as forgiving as Psy is at that stage, although switch voodooo at the wrong time and you are toasted lol... I'm sorry I can not write my thoughts in a comprehensive manner right now...(Sunday night ;-)) But you asked truly rhetorical PWI question here. Both are excellent really.b:victory
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Psy>Wizard. +12 psy's 1 shot me with their SoV sometimes.....wizards can't do that. Then if the psy got me in a nearby target's aoe,or targeted me, even worser on top of their SoV damage im taking.
  • Buff_me - Harshlands
    Buff_me - Harshlands Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    +12 psy's 1 shot me with their SoV sometimes.....

It's not something you can rate a psy's awesomness with.
    Achieved R9 before it was mainstream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    103 Demon R9 assassin - retired.
    Quit.
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The R9rr one b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    TBH I think if we're talking purely end-game, Wizard is stronger, in general (though obviously anyone with experience with the two classes will tell you Psy will typically beat wiz in 1v1; that's more because wiz is poorly equipped to fight Psys specifically, not because Psy is all-around better).

Psys seem OP because it's the type of class where, if you're +10 and the Psy is +12, you're screwed. Their refines give them a quasi-godmode vs. everyone that has lower refines. THAT'S how Psys are potentially OP and unbalanced.

HOWEVER, when we're talking purely end-game scenarios where EVERYONE is +12, then suddenly Psys kinda lose that because they're actually squishy as all hell, and suddenly that ridiculous silence rate becomes more of a neccesity to make up for their god awful defenses, rather than some OP broken mechanic that makes them unbeatable.

Likewise, end-game everyone has pretty nice HP and defense levels. If you're fighting someone else endgame-geared or someone that has jades in armor, you REALLY want to charm bypass. Guess who does that much better than any other class? Wizard. Psy can charm bypass too with a crit or the like, but not reliably so; even Stone Smasher is unreliable because soulsphere range is pretty big. You can't force yourself to crit when you truly need to crit. In that sense, Psy may have, quite ironically, superior defense (white voodoo is spammable, Soul of silence might save you when you need it, two purify skills ready and waiting, physical immunity, control skills out the wazoo, soulburn and slow channeling are also pretty good control skills), but sure enough wizard's top-of-the-line damage shines through and they have much better offense. (again, end-game) And as I think anyone with PVP experience will tell you, offense is more typically important and more powerful than defense in this game. (attack levels easier to gain than defense, damage quicker and easier to increase than HP)
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Dragslave - Dreamweaver
    Dragslave - Dreamweaver Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If u know how to play... wizard, if u just want ppl to die easy, psy, soul skills make u win more fights than strategy. Wizzies need u to think and have strategy to kill some ppl, on psy u only need SoS to proc often against casters and a +12 weapon so Soul of stunning to be usefull, sins and BMs get killed on SoV... easy.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Neither can use R9 at 100. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    As someone who's spent considerable time on both chars....
    Wizard.

Like I've said before (and longknife too) at ENDGAME wizards are better at 1v1. Group pvp they have somewhat different roles. Wiz is mostly taking out a single target fast and dropping high dmg aoes while psys are mostly aoe cc and consistent aoe dmg along with occasional debuffs.

And no, your +10 nv 3rd is not endgame.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options

Finally someone noticed b:victory.

To the OP, are you really that rich?

If the answer is yes, r9 3rd cast both of them.
    edited February 2013
    Options

I see all these people saying which is better, ten you come out with that comment, lol :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Savor - Lost City
    Savor - Lost City Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options

I just read this thread and was hoping I would be the one to point this out because it was the only part of this thread that seemed worthy of a comment.
    My main was Susamajii The Lost City Barbarian.
  • upsides
    upsides Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Finally someone noticed b:victory.

To the OP, are you really that rich?

If the answer is yes, r9 3rd cast both of them.

The first reply to this thread was the first one to notice.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    upsides wrote: »
    The first reply to this thread was the first one to notice.

Maybe. Although they didn't put it into a format that will be understood by the majority. b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Psy scare me more then Wizard.

Basically cause they don't even have to target me to kill me. I usually do that myself when I take the chance, and 3 spark, and psy goes, reflect xp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    As someone who's spent considerable time on both chars....
    Wizard.

Like I've said before (and longknife too) at ENDGAME wizards are better at 1v1. Group pvp they have somewhat different roles. Wiz is mostly taking out a single target fast and dropping high dmg aoes while psys are mostly aoe cc and consistent aoe dmg along with occasional debuffs.

And no, your +10 nv 3rd is not endgame.

I think endgame, for Psy?

BM - Has the advantage over Psy, though it's close (but not many BMs can figure out they HAVE the advantage)
    Barb - Psy has the advantage
    Wiz - Psy has the advantage, though obviously wiz can kill -ANYONE- with a well-timed BT, it's just Psy has plenty of tools to prevent that
    Veno - Psy has the advantage

Cleric - has the advantage over Psy
    Archer - Psy has the advantage, though it's close
    Sin - Neither has the advantage, continues to be damned cat and mouse and no one knows who's the mouse; tempted to say sin has the advantage, but it's highly reliant on chance and dice rolls, with sins looking for powerful zerk crits and Psys looking for Soul of silence at the right moments. Straight-up 50-50, though again since are dumb as all hell so it's rare you'd find one competent enough to deal with a full end-game Psy
    Psy vs Psy is boring and trivial as ****, as it basically requires a ban on white voodoo and some other skills for it to end
    Seeker- Psy has the advantage
    Mystic - has the advantage over Psy

Can't say how wizard matchups are, though I'd assume that as long as the opposing class doesn't have tons of ways to prevent a BT (Cleric, BM, Mystic, Psy) then the wiz should be good.

Both are one of the three main DD classes for TW and both are good in NW, perhaps with Psy having a slight edge in NW since their points are "doubled" when they get attacked due to reflect. In big group PK fights, wizard stays a DD and once again is searching for good AOE opportunities. Psy is still VERY capable of DDing, but because of low defense it MAY want to take a backseat and white voodoo + support skills off and on; slow wiz channeling, soulburn APS classes, charm debuff etc etc.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Horosho - Lost City
    Horosho - Lost City Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Just whoever's purify spell procs
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    BM - Has huge advantage over psy due to magic marrow and cc lock. only have advantage if they're stupid and don't know how to genie.
    Barb - with maxed gears, Barb has the advantage
    Wiz - wtf ofc wiz has advantage. Half our skills do half dmg. We don't have amps and a smart wiz is not going to get stunned for long.
    Veno - Psy has the advantage
    Cleric - has the advantage over Psy
    Archer - Psy has the advantage, though it's close
    Sin - Neither has the advantage, continues to be damned cat and mouse and no one knows who's the mouse; tempted to say sin has the advantage, but it's highly reliant on chance and dice rolls, with sins looking for powerful zerk crits and Psys looking for Soul of silence at the right moments. Straight-up 50-50, though again since are dumb as all hell so it's rare you'd find one competent enough to deal with a full end-game Psy
    Psy vs Psy is boring and trivial as ****, as it basically requires a ban on white voodoo and some other skills for it to end
    Seeker- Psy has the advantage
    Mystic - has the advantage over Psy
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    TBH I think if we're talking purely end-game, Wizard is stronger, in general (though obviously anyone with experience with the two classes will tell you Psy will typically beat wiz in 1v1; that's more because wiz is poorly equipped to fight Psys specifically, not because Psy is all-around better).

Psys seem OP because it's the type of class where, if you're +10 and the Psy is +12, you're screwed. Their refines give them a quasi-godmode vs. everyone that has lower refines. THAT'S how Psys are potentially OP and unbalanced.

HOWEVER, when we're talking purely end-game scenarios where EVERYONE is +12, then suddenly Psys kinda lose that because they're actually squishy as all hell, and suddenly that ridiculous silence rate becomes more of a neccesity to make up for their god awful defenses, rather than some OP broken mechanic that makes them unbeatable.

Likewise, end-game everyone has pretty nice HP and defense levels. If you're fighting someone else endgame-geared or someone that has jades in armor, you REALLY want to charm bypass. Guess who does that much better than any other class? Wizard. Psy can charm bypass too with a crit or the like, but not reliably so; even Stone Smasher is unreliable because soulsphere range is pretty big. You can't force yourself to crit when you truly need to crit. In that sense, Psy may have, quite ironically, superior defense (white voodoo is spammable, Soul of silence might save you when you need it, two purify skills ready and waiting, physical immunity, control skills out the wazoo, soulburn and slow channeling are also pretty good control skills), but sure enough wizard's top-of-the-line damage shines through and they have much better offense. (again, end-game) And as I think anyone with PVP experience will tell you, offense is more typically important and more powerful than defense in this game. (attack levels easier to gain than defense, damage quicker and easier to increase than HP)

This explains it well.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The problem being in this case he wants to go r9rr so will not be sharing a weapon with other toons...

I personally haven't played a psy so I can't offer too much there. A wiz has better all round defences and if played right will be able to reduce the amount of damage they would take with there blinks, reduce crit skill and arcane light.

End of the day they are both pretty OP at 3rd cast level so it would really come down to your playstyle and which one you liked better to play.

Got me on the sharing weapons, but there's no freaking way a wiz is OP. I'm pretty sure defenses would be a semi-endless debate. I wouldn't say wiz is useless, but for most things; there's a better class.
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm just watching this debate go back and forth, it isn't going to come to a conclusion any time soon b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Maybe. Although they didn't put it into a format that will be understood by the majority. b:mischievous

Highlighting "lvl100" and "r999" wasn't obvious enough?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wizard for pvp.
    I mean we are talking about pvp here hopefully if you're going r9r2

Wizards are a lot more defensive in terms of their set up. You have to be sneaky and when you get caught you need to run away far enough and then come back and ninja dropping mountains and meteor rocks and dragons on people's heads.

Psy is a lot more aggressive. They don't really seem to be classes that work best while avoiding damage. Instead a good psy will use the fact that they're getting hit to their advantage like using psy will or white voodoo or sov or sor and just hurt.

In mass pk both are useful. In a 1 v 1 a wizard is pretty much the only class other than a seeker which is broken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ill say psy since i see most killing wizzies to much
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.