Server Merge?

Sfrenchie - Sanctuary
Sfrenchie - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
I thought they already stated that merging servers was not possible?

http://pwi-forum.fr.perfectworld.eu/showthread.php?t=58391
Post edited by Sfrenchie - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Infie - Heavens Tear
    Infie - Heavens Tear Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Maybe because they share the same name database or something. I'm sure that on larger servers, such as Lost City or HT that would not be the case since their databases are different and it would create havoc if such a merge was attempted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[ ♥ My Characters:
    100 Mystic - retired
    101 Assassin - current main
    9x Seeker - future main ♥ ]
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Name changes/swapping servers are not the same thing as a merge. At any rate, any servers that merge have to share the same name database. It appears that EU servers were built to be able to be merged from the start as it you certainly cannot have the same name on both servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It was always possible.

It's easier if the servers share same name databases but not required.

I think the only thing required that has to be the same is the game database.

Edit:

Good example of this is pw my-en. They did a bunch of server merges before they shut down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Astraea - Raging Tide
    Astraea - Raging Tide Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    According to this only Sanc, HT and archo share a name database so it would only really be possible to merge those 3. the rest would most likely have alot of different people using the same names so it would get tricky to sort that out uness they added some kind of "identification" tag (what are we, dogs?) or thered be some pissed off people arguing with others to change their names/ possibe attempts at creating fraud with peope either using a person's good name(not litteral, more as trusted name) to try to scam others or most likely using someone's name to create animosity towards others while they themselves arent blamed.

the FR and DE servers were made at the same time so thats probably why they share the same database so it would only be a matter of copy/paste from both servers onto a new one (atleast thats what id figure as easiest).
    "Common sense isn't so common anymore." ~ Yusiong - Lost City
    b:surrender
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Other versions have done it before and it's relatively common on PWCN (which is pretty much the same as PWI). As bubbles said even if they don't share the same name database there are methods to resolve name conflicts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • O_o - Lost City
    O_o - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    have they merged it yet?

can't wait
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TPstar - Sanctuary
    TPstar - Sanctuary Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No one ever said it cannot be done, just not feasible. And merging 2 small server is just creating a bigger small server.

I think the EU server is just not holding up, what I mean is they are not charging enough to keep the EU staffs paid and making money. b:bye
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm actually surprised it took this long for them to start talking about merging them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    woot more catshops in west :/
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • MysticHayley - Heavens Tear
    MysticHayley - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    there was a post on this 4 years ago, when we first got harshlands server

if i remember right, these share the same database
    ht, sanc,
    lc, arco

Dreamweaver, Harshlands both had their own servers at one time, guess raging tide was added to one of them

i guess its possible they have changed it over the years, but i remember tring to make a HayleyW name on sanc, and would not allow it just to test what kanto said.
    kanto also said if pwi ever allowed our toons to change servers it would only be to the sever that shares the database.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited October 2012
    there was a post on this 4 years ago, when we first got harshlands server

if i remember right, these share the same database
    ht, sanc,
    lc, arco

Dreamweaver, Harshlands both had their own servers at one time, guess raging tide was added to one of them

i guess its possible they have changed it over the years, but i remember tring to make a HayleyW name on sanc, and would not allow it just to test what kanto said.
    kanto also said if pwi ever allowed our toons to change servers it would only be to the sever that shares the database.

According to this,
    PvE West: Heaven's Tear, Sanctuary, and Archosaur
    PvP West: Lost City
    PvE East: Dreamweaver
    PvE East: Raging Tide
    PvP East: Harshlands

As mentioned before though, despite what pwe said, servers do not need the same name database for them to be mergable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Frankenstein - Momaganon
    Frankenstein - Momaganon Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It was always possible.

It's easier if the servers share same name databases but not required.

I ask me how they handle it if a player created with one account on bouth servers chars?
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There's one big problem with server merge, some people have the same name. I wonder how they will deal with that.

For people saying it's not possible i have myself 2 chars on different server with the same name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • imdivine
    imdivine Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hope there will be a merge. It might be a bit chaotic at first but then lead to more fun and higher activity. TWs would get more interesting and easier to find people for squads.
  • Era_Saga - Archosaur
    Era_Saga - Archosaur Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Am I the only one who noticed how polite everyone was on that forum? If a discussion like that was on our forum you would of had at least twenty people posting insults or name calling. Are people on the server all that nice, cause I'd almost consider switching just for that reason?
  • Sfrenchie - Sanctuary
    Sfrenchie - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Am I the only one who noticed how polite everyone was on that forum? If a discussion like that was on our forum you would of had at least twenty people posting insults or name calling. Are people on the server all that nice, cause I'd almost consider switching just for that reason?

yep era , i really have never noticed much drama while I played there (and i got a toon to 101 , was there when it opened) There were a couple occasions but those people left xD
  • Man - Lothranis
    Man - Lothranis Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Easy solution, whoever has cash shopped more gets to keep their name, the other guy has his character deleted.
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No one ever said it cannot be done, just not feasible. And merging 2 small server is just creating a bigger small server.

Hmmm... feasible or not, we've heard for years how adamant PWE management were (particularly the previous CM) about there being no mergers on their servers. Essentially it was like a line drawn in the sand with a big sign next to it saying, "we shall not merge".

Now it looks like someone has taken the first tip toe across that line and I can assure you... once the first merger happens, there is no going back. Eventually it will spread to the North American servers too. And as other posters pointed out, its child's play to resolve problems such as identical names in different databases.
  • Shayd - Raging Tide
    Shayd - Raging Tide Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    First to run players from 2 servers they would need 1 powerful one otherwise LAAAAAAAGGGG EEVVRRRYYTYYYNNGGG DURRRRR. Also how would they Move hundred of characters to other server at once if they don't allow moving ONE even if you pay them, there is simply no option unlike in other games, pay few bucks choose server Zaaam! Done
    Mystic: 99 lvl (Main)
    Psychic: 96 lvl (Alt)
    Assassin: 78 lvl (Retired)
    Cleric: 75 lvl (Retired)

Big bumpy ride since 2008
    edited October 2012
    Easy solution, whoever has cash shopped more gets to keep their name, the other guy has his character deleted.

Lol...
    First to run players from 2 servers they would need 1 powerful one otherwise LAAAAAAAGGGG EEVVRRRYYTYYYNNGGG DURRRRR. Also how would they Move hundred of characters to other server at once if they don't allow moving ONE even if you pay them, there is simply no option unlike in other games, pay few bucks choose server Zaaam! Done

I guess if the merge the servers they wont bring example people of LC on HL or vice versa, but prolly open a new server and put people from HL and LC in the new server together and close HL and LC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I played two other games where there were many server merges & there were also many duplicate names, one of the games had separate servers but still merged.

I cannot remember the details how the servers were merged however they had to be extremely precise when combining banks form different servers yet same account.

Once done, copied names included numbers so any 2nd made character took on name xxxxxxx1, xxxxxxx2, etc, automatically. With that not being the case in PWI perhaps a roman numeral could be used instead of 1,2,3...(could get confusing with so many xiIlL names tho).

Ultimately it seems too little, too late.

I'd suggest an easier approach, no matter how insane...simply copy/paste anyone who wants to move & their items, to PvE servers where PvP is optional.
    The available character list would have to be tripled at minimum.

p.s. i realize copy/paste is not accurate, just for conv. sake.
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    They are better not add a number to my name, i would rather pick a new name than have a number next to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They are better not add a number to my name, i would rather pick a new name than have a number next to it.
    ^this^

It has been a while so i forgot, one of the unnamed games did give this option to users.
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • powergroth
    powergroth Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm all for merges. After all ghost servers are kinda boring :p
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would have liked server transfers better, but whatever.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm... feasible or not, we've heard for years how adamant PWE management were (particularly the previous CM) about there being no mergers on their servers. Essentially it was like a line drawn in the sand with a big sign next to it saying, "we shall not merge".

Now it looks like someone has taken the first tip toe across that line and I can assure you... once the first merger happens, there is no going back. Eventually it will spread to the North American servers too. And as other posters pointed out, its child's play to resolve problems such as identical names in different databases.

The GM team in Europe is different than the one in USA though. And to be fair, Frankie did leave with his no merge possible philosophy fulfilled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    :x I've stayed away from this thread, since it was concerning the EU servers. Considering I'm fairly certain that the EU servers were made to be merged, their thread is valid.

And I'm not saying the US servers can't be merged (except Sanc, HT, and Archo, those three easily could), but...be reasonable, people. It's a literal pain in the tuckus to move all those p-numbers and make sure people's characters don't get overwritten. Not just deleted, completely overwritten, like they never existed. ;_; There's no recovering from that.

So I'm not saying it's impossible. But you couldn't pay me enough to attempt to merge two (or more) of these servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Make 5 characters on server 1. Do the same for server 2.

Max characters per account per server is 8 but if servers 1 and 2 merge you have 10. What happens? b:cute
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited October 2012
    truekossy wrote: »

Max characters per account per server is 8 but if servers 1 and 2 merge you have 10. What happens? b:cute

Unless if PWE messed something up (or transfer is handled weirdly),

A scroll bar would appear and you would have 16 characters.
    I should do this for proof of concept that 8 max characters is just a client limit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    truekossy wrote: »

Pangu will explode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
This discussion has been closed.