Server Merge?

2»

Comments

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    truekossy wrote: »
    Make 5 characters on server 1. Do the same for server 2.

Max characters per account per server is 8 but if servers 1 and 2 merge you have 10. What happens? b:cute

I know for the first server merge on MY-EN, what happened was eight of your chars would be visible and the others would be viewable as you deleted a char. So say you deleted char#2...char#9 would appear at the bottom as soon as char#2 was deleted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I know for the first server merge on MY-EN, what happened was eight of your chars would be visible and the others would be viewable as you deleted a char. So say you deleted char#2...char#9 would appear at the bottom as soon as char#2 was deleted.

Do you know what version my-en was when they merged?

If it was tb or earlier then that would explain why. With our version scrollbars should appear...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Makes me wonder if you could spam tickets to get your characters restored on a different account...
  • OontzOontz - Dreamweaver
    OontzOontz - Dreamweaver Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012

There wasn't a scrollbar, but you could press down or up arrow keys and get to hidden characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would have liked server transfers better, but whatever.

The problem is that server transfers for the point of redistributing the population (as opposed to just selling transfers to people who wanted to try a new server/move to play with other friends/etc) usually ends up just making the problem worse. People will transfer off to the more populated servers (usually), and the lower pop server just ends up even more of a ghost town than before. Even free transfers to the low pop servers usually doesn't help any (Blizzard found this out when they offered free transfers from high pop servers to low pop).

The problem with server merges is that it seems to not help either (in the long run). Sure, right after the merger there will be a noticeable increase of players/catshops, but eventually it will thin back out. (My statements on this are based on having gone through two rounds of server merging in FFXI, so of course YMMV depending on the game).

Server merges seem to mainly beneft the company as far as decreasing their server costs. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, as obviously the company has to be making a decent profit or else they have no incentive to keep the game going. I just don't think that merging servers is going to fix the problems in the game the way some people seem to think it will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Do you know what version my-en was when they merged?

If it was tb or earlier then that would explain why. With our version scrollbars should appear...

The merge I'm refering to happened before tb.

The second merge occurred between that merged server and the new server they opened up for the tb expansion. Not sure when that merge was though as I'd quit and came to this version between the time they did that first merge and when they finally implemented the tb patch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited October 2012
    The merge I'm refering to happened before tb.

The second merge occurred between that merged server and the new server they opened up for the tb expansion. Not sure when that merge was though as I'd quit and came to this version between the time they did that first merge and when they finally implemented the tb patch.

I see.

Either way, those characters will still show up in list whether it's by scroll bar or what oontz said, use arrow keys.

There is a way of getting around the 8 character limit, but I haven't done it myself since it involves editing the main exe and some other shenanigans. The friend of mine who did it got a scrollbar to show up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So long as they expand the character slots on the remaining servers, so we could transfer all our characters too the remaining servers (if they ever did do a merge) I wouldn't mind a merger...

But if they did a merger {W/O} that as part of it, I'd be way P*ss*d off at them (If I was forced too loose either my (2nd or 3rd) sets of characters I have on the other (2 of the 3 servers) that I play on, on my only single (account/client)....b:surrender

But that possibility of any mergers, is still quite a ways off b4 we end up with any possible ones here (The Euro-servers have never really had a very strong player base presence on them, unlike ours...)
  • Frankenstein - Momaganon
    Frankenstein - Momaganon Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The problem with server merges is that it seems to not help either (in the long run). Sure, right after the merger there will be a noticeable increase of players/catshops, but eventually it will thin back out.

That is my opinon too. b:victory

Perfect World Europa make currently very much Advertise at German pages, that the game is 100% german. If they change now the german to an english server, I think that 50-80% of the current german players will leave the server as the server is no longer german.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If they change now the german to an english server, I think that 50-80% of the current german players will leave the server as the server is no longer german.

Uh, you would still have your German client and the announcements in german too. Do you mind other nationalities in 'your' server that much...?

/ontopic: Don't really care, I don't play on the EU servers and Sanc is very much alive and kicking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Frankenstein - Momaganon
    Frankenstein - Momaganon Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Uh, you would still have your German client and the announcements in german too. Do you mind other nationalities in 'your' server that much...?

I play currently the english client on the german server and the most announcements and system messages are in the german language.

In Europe learn everybody 8-9 years english minimum, but the most do not know much english and the most want to play in the sparetime on a german server. And if advertisment is that the game is 100% german and player start the game as they think that it is 100% german... I am sure that the most of these players will leave within some months. Additional will join not so much german player as they can not make advertisment that the game is 100% german.

The next problem is Server War. With next expansion can come server vs server. If we have only one European Server, at which time should be the Server War?. At 3 am European time or at 10 am US time?

The German Server is not dead. I don't know about the french one, but if the french is dead, they can change the french to an english server and keep the german one.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited October 2012

/ontopic: Don't really care, I don't play on the EU servers and Sanc is very much alive and kicking.

red chat is determined by what announcents pwe set up server side, not client side
    except for the generic messagees like duke shouts
    item name name will still ne determined by server though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    red chat is determined by what announcents pwe set up server side, not client side
    except for the generic messagees like duke shouts
    item name name will still ne determined by server though

The OP states that system announcements would be in the language of your client though :o

And I just don't get the big deal. lol I mean hell, even my server got some Germans who seriously got some rotten English, but they get by o_o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Gnip - Raging Tide
    Gnip - Raging Tide Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Forgive me, if this was discussed previously. But what if you have toons on several servers (same account) I'm fairly certain I have max toons on most servers. What happens in that situation?
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited October 2012
    The OP states that system announcements would be in the language of your client though :o

And I just don't get the big deal. lol I mean hell, even my server got some Germans who seriously got some rotten English, but they get by o_o

they meant the generic announcements then
    pwi is not google translate, whatever the gms write in game or server side is what you will see, it won't be magically translated
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited October 2012
    Forgive me, if this was discussed previously. But what if you have toons on several servers (same account) I'm fairly certain I have max toons on most servers. What happens in that situation?

as stated on the previous pages, you'll have 9+ chars on one server
    you'll either use arrow keys or a scroll bar to see the extra chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A single EU server would possibly work to PW's advantage. I could see a lot of British players switching over if the game had English help available on the forums/in game. For alienating the German players or French players, well, if the servers are a ghost town as it is now, then they wouldn't be losing much if they merged, anyway.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Amea - Heavens Tear
    Amea - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't forsee many European players joining any of the US servers again, because I remember many Europeans left our server to join European ones when they were released. If they merged them into one, what language would they speak? So confusing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There can be no darkness without light, for without the other, the first cannot be understood. They always work in perfect balance.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    <snip>

I just want off sanctuary without having to start over 6 characters :P
  • jkdvjkf
    jkdvjkf Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    b:surrender i vote for merge
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Please do not post in threads that were last posted in a month or more ago. This is called a necro and it is against forum policy. Thank you.b:thanks

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.