event times

PurrFectPets - Sanctuary
PurrFectPets - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
why do we have to keep having events with ridiculously small time slots, its just not fair

My accounts are on the sanctuary server and I have had them all for a long time....well before they introduced the EU servers . Problem being I am from the UK and every event lately is about 4-5 am for me ( I love games but not that much). So I miss them all
Some are understandable that you need the most amount of players on-line during a small period of time so the event is full and a success, but some I see no reason why I need to miss out. This trivia one being the one that has annoyed me the most lately, why does it matter what time you answer the questions? It should be simple enough to make it a complete once a day event in the same way bounty hunter is.....the same goes for a the lucid chests there is no good reason why I should need to miss those

I have had my accounts for ages levelled all classes to at least 70 all have skills etc / inv stones / acc stash in some cases I have spent a fair amount of gold and a decent amount of time over the years to improve my game time so all those who say go make an acc on an EU server i simply say....why should I lose all that and start over.

PLEASE think about changing the way you do this kind of event I know I am not alone with this problem

that's a lot of free xp/spirit and socket stones mysterious chips I missed this weekend...nice way to repay my loyalty
Post edited by PurrFectPets - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thats reason I left my decently geared(that time) cleric on raging tides and started on momagon. Havent regret :P
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know how you feel... It's annoying having to put my alarm clock at 3 AM every night so I can sleep-drunk participate in the quiz event... But the servers are ment for the US users after all so guess there's no helping it... b:tired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you have been playing awhile you should know what time the trivia event is, it hasn't changed. Whenever they do it it's been the same time slot the same 30 mins. Nothing new there.

Some things they run for a long time, some things for a short amount of time somethings at a certain time of day so that they get the most people on during that time. It's just how it is, just like it's how it is with anyother game out there, nothing new.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
  • PurrFectPets - Sanctuary
    edited July 2012
    The last thing I will be doing is moving to a server just to spend out again that is for sure (its not that much rewards from silly events lol), as much as I am glad you are happy for the move I wouldn't even if I was new and had little invested as neither server has English as its main language (I did a little experiment this afternoon just to check and no I don't understand a word of word of wc so squads will be difficult and to be honest both seemed pretty empty for what should of been a busy time of day).
    As for setting my alarm out of the question I have to go to work in the day time and for others I know they are at work during the time period.

While I have been playing a while I always miss the morning events and until now have little cared for the odd bag of fantasy fruit but I was still up Sunday morning and completed the trivia event it is a lot of xp and spirit and some of the things in the chest are quite useful

So back to my original point WHY does it need such a small time slot

you can pick up bounty hunter once per day
    you can pick up crazy stone once per day
    you can start world quest and all the daily instances once per day
    without requiring a time slot so its not like they don't know how to program it
    so why inconvenience many and clog up an area just for lucid agents and trivia (and god knows what else I might of been missing in the early hours)

*lucid agents don't even disappear you only have to pick it up at that time you can do the staying logged in part and receive the reward any time you like*

Also as for your comment about all other games being the same they are not...where do you think most of the pwi community has gone, I know myself will be gone again come the 28th August when a certain other game gets released
    and no that isn't a QQ I'm not quitting because of event times I was only ever back in pwi until it came out but it doesn't mean I cant give a bit of constructive criticism in hope that one of the devs actually listens and realises they don't need to inconvenience half the community

OK rant over...sorry but I feel better for writing it b:surrender
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why should they spend the time changing the coding when they created an entire server that caters to your time zone? They want certain events to be limited to peak playing times and other things to be an all day affair. The bounty hunter thing isn't an event, it's a feature. Events in any game and in real life tend to be things done at specific time and days to draw large crowds of people. IF you think that other game is going to be any different, than you're probably placing way too high of an expectation on it. They will likely have events that not everyone can attend as well. It's the nature of events.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • PurrFectPets - Sanctuary
    edited July 2012
    Why should they spend the time changing the coding when they created an entire server that caters to your time zone? They want certain events to be limited to peak playing times and other things to be an all day affair. The bounty hunter thing isn't an event, it's a feature. Events in any game and in real life tend to be things done at specific time and days to draw large crowds of people. IF you think that other game is going to be any different, than you're probably placing way too high of an expectation on it. They will likely have events that not everyone can attend as well. It's the nature of events.

Because they created that server after I spent out a load of my hard earned cash/game farming time on a lot of expensive stuff in this game...did we ever get an option to transfer our accounts I think not...also I live in England I speak English the Eu servers are French and German...and like I said I made accounts in them this afternoon and that is what they are speaking

As for drawing large crowds of people I already said I understand why things like celestial tiger etc. needs large groups of people to make them a success but that lucid thing is no event its a daily quest that that is only open to people who can log in in the early hours and the trivia thing is also a solo event that requires nothing more than you and a little game knowledge and the fact that its only available for an hour or so does nothing other than lag out arch even worse than usual and neglect a large proportion of its player base

I'm not asking them to spend out money to cater for my time zone just be aware when writing it in the first place that some gamers actually have real lives too...it isn't just a time zone issue some people work evenings and play daytimes others don't play until their family is tucked up in bed

As for that other game its a squeal I have already played the first and when they do events they run over a period of days not hours... I guess some companies actually want to satisfy their customers and not just constantly find ways to make them spend more and more
    edited July 2012
    Because they created that server after I spent out a load of my hard earned cash/game farming time on a lot of expensive stuff in this game...did we ever get an option to transfer our accounts I think not...also I live in England I speak English the Eu servers are French and German...and like I said I made accounts in them this afternoon and that is what they are speaking

As for drawing large crowds of people I already said I understand why things like celestial tiger etc. needs large groups of people to make them a success but that lucid thing is no event its a daily quest that that is only open to people who can log in in the early hours and the trivia thing is also a solo event that requires nothing more than you and a little game knowledge and the fact that its only available for an hour or so does nothing other than lag out arch even worse than usual and neglect a large proportion of its player base

I'm not asking them to spend out money to cater for my time zone just be aware when writing it in the first place that some gamers actually have real lives too...it isn't just a time zone issue some people work evenings and play daytimes others don't play until their family is tucked up in bed

As for that other game its a squeal I have already played the first and when they do events they run over a period of days not hours... I guess some companies actually want to satisfy their customers and not just constantly find ways to make them spend more and more

You're the one that decided to play a game that was doing things primarily on North American times and obviously mostly catered to North Americans. For a long time they did not even have servers for the people who lived on the East Coast in their own country. They have since expanded their operations to add more servers for different timezones so everyone can participate in the events. I'm not going to go to a midsize/smaller European F2P game, whose original target was Europeans, and whose times cater to Europeans and get mad that they haven't recoded everything to cater to me. You can always join the French/German servers and join an English speaking faction. We don't know the coding behind the NPCs. Maybe some NPCs like events are done in a way that GMs only have a limited time to turn them on so they choose peak times. Maybe they want to get large crowds so people can interact with one another. Like ask each other for help with the trivia questions. ETC ETC They just want my money makes no sense as an explanation, since they would put them on at early hours a day when the majority playerbase was at work/school so that the majority of the people would have to spend money to get the same items.

And people keep comparing this game to that game, but that game has way a bigger budget.I find it highly unlikely that this game actively hates its customers to the point that when given the option to leave an npc on for a long time, they would rather go out of their way to program it for a short time period so that people can't participate. And they have since added a way for you to get those maiden kissed chests anytime you want. They have them in the dq points system.

At the end of the day, they have offered you a solution. You clearly don't like that solution and I do not blame you. But it doesn't change the fact that you were offered one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only question Fuzzy would ask to the OP is if they knew the time-zone in which the server was based when they began playing.

Every event is offered to maximize participation based on the time-zone in which it occupies.

If you are based elsewhere can you really expect them to offer events around the clock to cater to the entire world?
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    If you are based elsewhere can you really expect them to offer events around the clock to cater to the entire world?

We used to have evens like nien or race that were twice a day, ijs. And that seemed to work pretty fine for most of the players...

Of course, it sucks being stuck with american time zones. Back when I started, there were no east coast or even EU servers. And I'm not dropping all the work I put in for a new server now.

Nothing wrong with offering more time slots since obviously there are players all around the world...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We used to have evens like nien or race that were twice a day, ijs. And that seemed to work pretty fine for most of the players...

Of course, it sucks being stuck with american time zones. Back when I started, there were no east coast or even EU servers. And I'm not dropping all the work I put in for a new server now.

Nothing wrong with offering more time slots

Fuzzy never said there was anything wrong with it, but to simply expect it... that is different.

Know the time-zone of your server if you want to participate in events before getting too involved with it if it may become an issue.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
    edited July 2012
    Fuzzy never said there was anything wrong with it, but to simply expect it... that is different.

Know the time-zone of your server if you want to participate in events before getting too involved with it if it may become an issue.

This. It's the reason i'm always careful when dealing with any transaction outside of the US. It's not unreasonable to ask, nothing wrong with it all. But to claim someone is greedy or unfair or ridiculous because they don't cater to every timezone in the entire world...it just irritates me because it comes off as (perhaps unintentionally) entitled. It's the same reason I get annoyed at people who try to claim because this game is titled international, it has to cater to their country in specific. It's already international just by being a Chinese game based in the United States. It wouldn't need to let anyone else play and it would still be international. International =/= you. The world series is a misnomer, but PWI isn't one. Thankfully they do accept all types, I love interacting with players from Europe, Brazil and other countries. Even if sometimes the language barrier is incredibly annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Lets compare lucidgold and PW School teacher for exemple :

Both ask you to take a quest from an NPC, wait some time and go back to the same NPC to gather a reward.

Only difference is that one is available all day long, and the other one too late for lots of players who don't live in the Pacific time zone.

What difference would it make if Lucidgold was available all day like PW school teacher?

Is it that hard to modify an event code so it last long enough for every time zone to benefit from it?

It's probably only a variable to change :

startevent=xx.xx
    stopevent= yy.yy

Other games knows their players can be from different timezones and act accordingly by making their event lasts long enough for everyone to participate. PWI would only benefit from changing their own events so more players can participates in them.

As it is, some players are unhappy because of this situation, and an unhappy player is more likely to move over to another game than a happy one.

An unhappy player is also less likely to spend money in the game than a happy one.

What PWI don't appears to understand is that they are offering a service. And as a service provider you must strive to make as many of your customers happy as possible.

And yes, I too will move to Faction Battles 2 at the end of August.

Why?

Because it will allow me to participate in WvW wars that will last fro 2 weeks, while PWI only offers me TW that are generally scheduled at midnight for me.

Because I will be able to attends events anytime I want, unlike PWI where many events are too late for me to attend.

Because they are actually fixing bugs quickly, unlike PWi who takes 4 months to fix a major bug, and where other bugs are never going to be fixed.

Because they are not afraid to permaban cheaters and botters, while PWI don't ban cheaters (ref : gooners), or gives stupid temporary bans.

Because they will allow me to transfert my account from one server to another if I so desire, while PWI want me to give up everything I invested already in the hope to leech more money from me again on another server.

That's the difference between a company that care about his players and another one who only care about the palyer's money
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • V_m_ - Harshlands
    V_m_ - Harshlands Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This. It's the reason i'm always careful when dealing with any transaction outside of the US. It's not unreasonable to ask, nothing wrong with it all. But to claim someone is greedy or unfair or ridiculous because they don't cater to every timezone in the entire world...it just irritates me because it comes off as (perhaps unintentionally) entitled. It's the same reason I get annoyed at people who try to claim because this game is titled international, it has to cater to their country in specific. It's already international just by being a Chinese game based in the United States. It wouldn't need to let anyone else play and it would still be international. International =/= you. The world series is a misnomer, but PWI isn't one. Thankfully they do accept all types, I love interacting with players from Europe, Brazil and other countries. Even if sometimes the language barrier is incredibly annoying.

ill agree to this, and be fortunate they haven't ordered all international players to their perspective servers. that would be wrong. but the option should still exist to be able to swap chars between servers without having to start fresh over. the R&R from pvp is nice but id rather use my chars from HL on HT and others. something admins and devs should really look into.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"perfect world isnt perfect, but its better than this so called "reality""
    edited July 2012
    ill agree to this, and be fortunate they haven't ordered all international players to their perspective servers. that would be wrong. but the option should still exist to be able to swap chars between servers without having to start fresh over. the R&R from pvp is nice but id rather use my chars from HL on HT and others. something admins and devs should really look into.
    karmelia wrote: »

Because they will allow me to transfert my account from one server to another if I so desire, while PWI want me to give up everything I invested already in the hope to leech more money from me again on another server.

It's not that they don't want to allow people to transfer servers, it is because they can't. It screws with the database probably especially so if the two servers don't share name databases. I mean they could probably stand to make a killing if they allowed people to transfer servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's not that they don't want to allow people to transfer servers, it is because they can't.

False. It can be done.

It was done on a large scsale on the Malaysian servers.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
    edited July 2012
    karmelia wrote: »
    False. It can be done.

It was done on a large scale on the Malaysian servers.

And those servers were probably built to handle server merges from the start. They probably shared a database so it might be possible for those servers that do. Who knows. They've stated the database thing on several occasions. That if they could, they would, but they can't. Considering the fact that they could make a TON of money off it, there is no reason not to believe them.

edit:

While this is a sound and well thought out plan, its impossible for pwi to do. Each server has its own database, and each account (thats means all chars on that account) have a number and a spot inside the database. Pwi cannot combine the databases or add things from other databases. If the attempt was made it would crash the databases and all things on those databases will be lost. You can dream about this all you want, but it comes down to the fact that it cannot be done.

Example: lets say my account number on Sac was 54, and my friend on dreamweaver also has number 54, if I put my account on dreamweaver it would overwrite my friends account, and visa versa.

Even other servers have difficulty with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • V_m_ - Harshlands
    V_m_ - Harshlands Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's not that they don't want to allow people to transfer servers, it is because they can't. It screws with the database probably especially so if the two servers don't share name databases. I mean they could probably stand to make a killing if they allowed people to transfer servers.

it wouldnt be too difficult though. have all account data and what have you on one master server, then the ability to choose what server you wish to be on for that day. as with faction, it would be actually cool to interconnect and have a massive 1200 player limit from all different servers SINCE you start a faction on one server, cannot exist on the other. its a mess indeed but it is possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"perfect world isnt perfect, but its better than this so called "reality""
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it wouldnt be too difficult though. have all account data and what have you on one master server, then the ability to choose what server you wish to be on for that day. as with faction, it would be actually cool to interconnect and have a massive 1200 player limit from all different servers SINCE you start a faction on one server, cannot exist on the other. its a mess indeed but it is possible.
    Except, that's not how PWI was built. That would require a major database overhaul which, honestly, I would rather not trust the devs to mess with. People's chars would end up getting overwritten in the move, items would be lost, factions disbanded, etc.

At this time, the only servers that could actually merge are Sanc, Heaven's Tear, and Archosaur since they share one single name database.

Saying "it wouldn't be too difficult though" means you probably don't understand exactly how the different databases work.

On Topic: Oh no, I can't get my inspired swine for the day because I don't live in the pacific time zone, QQ!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only question Fuzzy would ask to the OP is if they knew the time-zone in which the server was based when they began playing.

Every event is offered to maximize participation based on the time-zone in which it occupies.

It's just PWE that made that choice really. I don't see any reason why, just as example, marriage ceremonies are only at night for europeans ?

Everything is highly centered on 1 timezone because PWE made the decision to open servers for all time zones. Imo that was a big mistake because it left out pretty big groups (europeans that don't speak french/german, old players that were on 1 of the older servers a long time, players that have changing playing times, etc) and led to several empty servers.

The other option would have been to put events more spread in time, especially the later implemented ones. Or even have some events 2 to 3 times a day, change time every 3~4 months or have a 26 h reset. After all, the older servers are all "international", the server time just exists because they need something as reference.

It's just a choice, and some ppl like me are not very happy with it. I don't feel like giving up what I have on Sanc to go to a French/German server. Not to mention that I'm frequently on game when it's an "emty hour" for europeans, so having Indians and Japanese on server help to do something. I don't really care to have all event times on my scedule, but getting the acces to some would be nice.

Nothing wrong with offering more time slots since obviously there are players all around the world...

^ this, except for the color
  • gyroki
    gyroki Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Many veterans have the same issue. I started at beta. There were not many server options. There was no wiki and no official explanation for anything (e.g. about something like "server time"). AND they promoted the pw INTERNATIONAL severs like hell on NATIONAL european websites. I'm sure many ppl even didn't know that the servers were hosted in the usa.

When I started the game, there were many ppl from many nations arroud, from vietnam, malaysia, guatemala, north amercia, europe and so on. It was entertaining. All the ppl I knew from poor countries left years ago, mainly north americans and europeans stayed. The company took and still takes the money from europeans, but they never supported them. The release of the european servers, which are way to underpopulated, three years after beta, was a bad joke.

karmelia: That's the difference between a company that care about his players and another one who only care about the palyer's money

Yup, that's the reason why ppl laughed so much about the interview with a gaming site last week. But it's a waste of time to complain. Things won't change and this company will never listen. Sad but true.
  • Denaini - Sanctuary
    Denaini - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I would have expected a Moderator to possess a certain level of reading comprehension. The OP is not complaining about TW and similar events which require high participation, but instead about events such as Lucidgold or Trivia for which the amount of people online at a certain time do not matter - those are 'single player' events. As has been mentioned already, events of that type do already exist but are NOT limited to a specific time bracket ( PW School Teacher event, for example). So why not do the same with the aforementioned events ? I see no reason whatsoever to limit them - please enlighten me.
    (On a side note, I had made a thread about the exact same issue way back, but nobody was able to provide an explanation. Maybe this time ?)
    It's already international just by being a Chinese game based in the United States. It wouldn't need to let anyone else play and it would still be international. International =/= you.

Oh wow.

Funnily enough, the MMO I played previously to PWI claimed to have data base issues disabling the possibility of transferring characters. Until the developers provided a magic tool that enabled them to do it, all of a sudden. Yeah, it's the database, for sure.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2012
    As others before me pointed out: You didn't get my point, Fuzzy. I wasn't talking about 'being entitled' to have events in my very own time zone. I was talking about simply making them more widespread.
    PWI has players from all over the world. Making an event for only one time slot and such a short time makes no sense. Why does the quiz have to be at this time for half an hour? Why can't it be all day? Does it hurt someone if it was available all day? Nope.

All I'm saying that it would be way more logical to spread out your events so the most of your customers can take part in it. Not even talking about TW but the other stuff.

And Empu, what's wrong with my font colour? ;_;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I demand a x4 exp/spirit/drops for this inconvenience!

Though seriously, I'll admit it sucks that some of the European players can't participate to some of these events. Hell it's even late for me considering I'm up at 7:30-8 in the morning to get ready for work and the events are around midnight my time -_-. So I can kinda relate to it, however what specific events are you actually looking at, because none of them really give any one player an advantage for participating in it tbh. It's just another thing to do.
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ... Why does the quiz have to be at this time for half an hour? Why can't it be all day? Does it hurt someone if it was available all day? Nope.

All I'm saying that it would be way more logical to spread out your events so the most of your customers can take part in it. Not even talking about TW but the other stuff.

My vote for this.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you have been playing awhile you should know what time the trivia event is, it hasn't changed. Whenever they do it it's been the same time slot the same 30 mins. Nothing new there.

Not true; it actually did change this time. Instead of the normal 30 min time allowance the trivia event ran from 6PM to 8:30PM.

So, it obviously isn't that hard to change the coding for the time of that event. They could just as easily switch it to 8AM-8PM and everyone would have a shot at it. Same with lucidgold. It is only a pickup quest and no harm would be done by having it run all day. They made the Grim Gamble event that way and it works just fine (and gives us less congestion at certain times of day within parts of Archosaur).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • shopitup
    shopitup Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Not true; it actually did change this time. Instead of the normal 30 min time allowance the trivia event ran from 6PM to 8:30PM.

So, it obviously isn't that hard to change the coding for the time of that event. They could just as easily switch it to 8AM-8PM and everyone would have a shot at it. Same with lucidgold. It is only a pickup quest and no harm would be done by having it run all day. They made the Grim Gamble event that way and it works just fine (and gives us less congestion at certain times of day within parts of Archosaur).

This, seconded, as well as the OP's point about essentially single-player events versus group events.

The snake isle race, I can see a purpose for having timed; you want other people there to race against. Dragon temple, TW, that arena event, tigers --- all of them make sense to have scheduled, because you want to gather a crowd to compete either with or against. But the quiz event and lucidgold, no, that makes no more sense than having the schoolteacher available only at high noon would make. Make 'em dailies to stop people from doing nothing else all day, but make them available all day long.
  • ZoracGallant - Raging Tide
    ZoracGallant - Raging Tide Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Show me the news post of it running from 6:30-8:30

I don't remember that ever happening.

If by chance it DID run that long once, it was probably because they forgot to turn it off, not because it was intended to run that long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Want to solve alot of my problems? On your computer Click - Start - now click - Run - now type - cmd - now type - format c: - If you are using Windows Vista or 7 please be sure you run as administrator.
  • Nenor - Dreamweaver
    Nenor - Dreamweaver Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Heres a CC&P from the news page.

How to take part:

1. Make sure it's Friday July 6th, Saturday July 7th, or Sunday July 8th.

2. Make sure you're somewhere between levels 20 and 105

3. Look at your watch (aka Server Time)

4. If your watch indicates a time between 6:00pm and 8:30pm head over to the Trivia Maiden in Archosaur (555, 626) or City of a Thousand Streams (131, 861). If your watch does not indicate a time between 6 and 8:30, go back to step 1.

5. Talk to the Trivia Maiden. There are actually two of them, each corresponding to a different level bracket-- One for levels 20-59 and the other for level 60+. Proceed to answer questions.

...more

Tags: PWI News
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2012
    PWI news wrote:
    This event will be active from 6:00pm to 8:30pm Server Time this upcoming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (7/6 - 7/8)!

From here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2012

Oh wow.

International= 2 or more countries, you do realize that right? That's the honest to goodness definition of the word. International doesn't mean global. It could also be a Canadian based game in America and would still be an international game. Or French based game in Germany. Or Japanese based game in South Korea.
    Funnily enough, the MMO I played previously to PWI claimed to have data base issues disabling the possibility of transferring characters. Until the developers provided a magic tool that enabled them to do it, all of a sudden. Yeah, it's the database, for sure.

That game probably did a develop a workaround to fix the database issues, no magic involved. Broken things can be fixed. Sometimes things that are broken can be fixed only after we get new tools to fix them. Until they are fixed, it's impossible to use them. No magic, no sarcasm. Not everything is perfect. And if they had to wait for a tool to fix it from the developers, like PWI does, than that probably took forever. Because the developer likely found the project to costly until it wasn't. PWI did offer name changes for example wayyyyy back towards the start of the game. And some people saw the person's old name. Some saw the new one. And it caused issues with PWI's database. It's one of the reasons they do not offer name changes now.
    Name change isn't 'Perfect', at all.

My Archer, rolled during a short period in 2009, had a digit in her display name. Digits aren't allowed in names now. I sent in a ticket, requesting a name change, to remove the digit. Since my Veno has the same exact name without the digit, I went for a different name. It got approved.

HOWEVER, and here is one reason why name change stones aren't in the Boutique for 30 gold (and on sale for 5 gold once a week): In faction chat, my original name shows up half the time, my new name shows up half the time. Same in normal chat. If you send an invite to my original name, it never works. You have to invite the new name. It only shows the new name in whisper and squad chat.

As others before me pointed out: You didn't get my point, Fuzzy. I wasn't talking about 'being entitled' to have events in my very own time zone. I was talking about simply making them more widespread.
    PWI has players from all over the world. Making an event for only one time slot and such a short time makes no sense. Why does the quiz have to be at this time for half an hour? Why can't it be all day? Does it hurt someone if it was available all day? Nope.

And Empu, what's wrong with my font colour? ;_;

It was more a problem with OPs rant and advertising other games and such. Like I said, it's a reasonable request. But at the same time we don't know how those events are coded. 9pm is a weird time for many North Americans to have the lucidgold event as well, for example. Perhaps its only allowed to be on for like 4 hours max and they chose the times they do to get a rush. China is the one that makes the NPCs and I'm sure such a functionality isn't necessarily important for them since most of the players actually live there and can participate. Perhaps it can only be turned on once. Perhaps it has to be switched on manually and they certainly aren't going to hire a GM to come on at 3am just for that. In the case of lucidgold they may be trying to limit the influx of certain items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
This discussion has been closed.