Encouraging Helpfulness.

Sagek - Sanctuary
Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
I was browsing the forums and noticed that there are people who continue to help others and give good advice on the forums even though they might have a bitter taste for PWE. So I started to wonder why PWE does not reward these players for their help?

I hate to say that it is necessary to reward people for being helpful, but it seems like it has some merit to it since 9/10 times it is a player who is answering the questions on the forum instead of the GM/Mods.

I just can't help to wonder if this would not show PWE's appreciation for their players and for those players going out of their way to answer questions and help others.

I wonder if this would in fact encourage others to start helping out more?

I mean even if their reason for helping was a selfish one, at least they are still being helpful and creating a pleasant enviroment.

Idunno, what do you think?
Post edited by Sagek - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I was browsing the forums and noticed that there are people who continue to help others and give good advice on the forums even though they might have a bitter taste for PWE. So I started to wonder why PWE does not reward these players for their help?

I hate to say that it is necessary to reward people for being helpful, but it seems like it has some merit to it since 9/10 times it is a player who is answering the questions on the forum instead of the GM/Mods.

I just can't help to wonder if this would not show PWE's appreciation...

That's where I stopped reading. They do NOT appreciate anybody unless they are dumping thousands of dollars into their game. Even then it's debatable.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Eh, I see that getting abused.

And tbh: It's stunning that anyone is helpful at all. There's so much negativity on here now, so much trash talking, so much 'OMG THIS GAME SUCKS'. Awful atmosphere.

While I can understand some of it, I myself know that I'm mostly cynical now, but yea, constant idiocy and trash talk lead to that... I think ti's just time for the unhelpful, trash talking people to move on. By will or by force.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Providing advice or help is its own reward - thats one less person who doesnt know what they should do/how to do something, and they may go on to show others the way (or in case of there being no "wrong way", they'll at least understand their alternatives better).

Thats what I think, at least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • roswald
    roswald Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    People should not need to be rewarded for being a decent person.
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2012

I just can't help to wonder if this would not show PWE's appreciation for their players and for those players going out of their way to answer questions and help others.

I mean even if their reason for helping was a selfish one, at least they are still being helpful and creating a pleasant enviroment.

Idunno, what do you think?

Do you know how busy our GM is? They need to handle lots of customer complaints, fix game bug, implement suggestion and forward messages to PWCN. Right now they are fixing FC glitch. No, they are too busy to track each user's helpfulness, much less deciding the reward that do the most justice to the amount of help provided.
  • Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Right now they are fixing FC glitch.

What? *looks at calendar*
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Do you know how busy our GM is? They need to handle lots of customer complaints, fix game bug, implement suggestion and forward messages to PWCN. Right now they are fixing FC glitch. No, they are too busy to track each user's helpfulness, much less deciding the reward that do the most justice to the amount of help provided.

Hilarious. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Sukinee - Heavens Tear
    Sukinee - Heavens Tear Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    roswald wrote: »
    People should not need to be rewarded for being a decent person.

+1 Knowing that you did something genuinely good to help another person should be your own reward. Doing good for someone just to get a petty prize defeats the purpose. :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Member of Nocturne and Hikari...spread the light be nice to others!

"I conform to non-conformity." Join date: November 2008 :D
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    People who already help will continue, people who dont help wont start to help for a star next to their name.

People are nice are they are not, someone acting nice cause get pay is not a nice person.

^ Is this answer helpfull?

If yes dont forget tell G to gimme my star. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    I think the best way to encourage helpfulness might be to just get rid of the ones who aren't. Do we really need all those people who just talk bad about the game and where they will move on to? I don't think so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I think the best way to encourage helpfulness might be to just get rid of the ones who aren't. Do we really need all those people who just talk bad about the game and where they will move on to? I don't think so.

Wow... looks like someone just went on a crusade. b:laugh

The fundamental flaw in your line of thinking however is the seeming assumption that once all the bad ones go, those who are joining for the first time are all going to find nothing but positives to talk about. Some of the newbies who become unhappy with what they find will just leave quietly. But others will stay around and b*tch and bad talk the game just as is happening now. That's just human nature... so sorry you haven't figured it out yet.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Wow... looks like someone just went on a crusade. b:laugh

So? If I don't like something that I'm not forced to, I move on.

Or do you want someone to **** in your favorite restaurant about how the food sucks? Nope, he wouldn't stay for long. No serious business allows that kind of people to stay. They just ruin the atmosphere for everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    So? If I don't like something that I'm not forced to, I move on.

Or do you want someone to **** in your favorite restaurant about how the food sucks? Nope, he wouldn't stay for long. No serious business allows that kind of people to stay. They just ruin the atmosphere for everyone else.

BUT but... what if the food really does suck ?

Because no matter how many bad mouthing people the restauranteur chases out the door... the next set of customers coming in will voice their opinion on how the food looks and tastes... and some will be really rude about it too. b:chuckle
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Then it's still their choice who they kick out and who not. if they really suck that badly, they will eventually go bankrupt. Without anyone needing to trash talk them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    Then it's still their choice who they kick out and who not. if they really suck that badly, they will eventually go bankrupt. Without anyone needing to trash talk them.

Wrong. If no one trash talks them, no one will know via word of mouth to avoid that particular restaurant. And thus there will always be new suck... um... people venturing in to try the food for the first time. A place so (unrealistically) lucky could literally stay open until the owner dies of old age.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited April 2012

I'd rather see a few people being helpful on their own accord than a lot of clueless people trying to act ''helpful''.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roswald
    edited April 2012
    Wrong. If no one trash talks them, no one will know via word of mouth to avoid that particular restaurant. And thus there will always be new suck... um... people venturing in to try the food for the first time. A place so (unrealistically) lucky could literally stay open until the owner dies of old age.

False. People will stop or continue going after having tried it themselves and making up their own minds rather than people who think their opinion is god spouting off about how they personally don't like the food. The fact that you don't like something does mean it is bad or that everyone should avoid that place. You not liking only means that you personally should avoid it.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Nope. If people find out it sucks, they won't visit again. New people might try it but they won't come back either.

I seriously doubt there's an infinite supply of people for this one restaurant. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    The reward for being helpful is that newer players are likely to stay and the game struggles on a little longer.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012
    roswald wrote: »
    False. People will stop or continue going after having tried it themselves and making up their own minds rather than people who think their opinion is god spouting off about how they personally don't like the food. The fact that you don't like something does mean it is bad or that everyone should avoid that place. You not liking only means that you personally should avoid it.

Sorry but word of mouth is one of the most powerful forces in the business world... doesn't make a difference if its a humble diner or a mega billion dollar video game. Sure you will always have people badmouthing a product unfairly because of some personal grouse or they just happened to be in a bad mood that day. But on average if a product is being overwhelmingly dissed by those who have tried it before... well let the buyer beware. Just saying.b:bye

Nope. If people find out it sucks, they won't visit again. New people might try it but they won't come back either.

I seriously doubt there's an infinite supply of people for this one restaurant. lol

That's why I said the restaurant would be "unrealistically lucky" in this regard since even in a large metropolitan city, there is only a finite number of new customers available to keep the place going.

However an on-line F2P MMO is another kettle of fish altogether. In the case the the term "infinite source of new players" nearly rings true. And as long as they keep coming in and find the same problems created by PWE, not the player base... they will either leave, bad mouth or both.
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I'd rather see a few people being helpful on their own accord than a lot of clueless people trying to act ''helpful''.

Fuzzy must agree with this. There are a handful of people here (they know who they are) who post tons of helpful and useful information and always seem to be there when a legit question is asked. They are the panda's favorite posters.

Were PWI to institute anything from a "gold star" to some actual reward, many threads would suddenly become awash with even more opinions masquerading as help which would most likely be no help at all.

As for the people who post nothing but negativity.... well you may not see it, but Fuzzy is on his own crusade with the GM's to rid us of the worst of them.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • roswald
    edited April 2012
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    Fuzzy must agree with this. There are a handful of people here (they know who they are) who post tons of helpful and useful information and always seem to be there when a legit question is asked. They are the panda's favorite posters.

Were PWI to institute anything from a "gold star" to some actual reward, many threads would suddenly become awash with even more opinions masquerading as help which would most likely be no help at all.

As for the people who post nothing but negativity.... well you may not see it, but Fuzzy is on his own crusade with the GM's to rid us of the worst of them.

fuzzy is awesome. Please do get rid of the obnoxious people who dislike the game but for some bizarre reason feel it necessary to hang around and try to force feed their opinions to others.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012

b:thanks Fuzzy. It's really appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2012

Eh... what "crusade" do you need. You have the power to close threads at a whim.

But... seeing you here... I (and others) couldn't help but notice your distinct absence when the "you know what" hit the fan over the temporary ban/non-punishment of goon glitchers. Too above us all to express an opinion back then fuzzy ? b:laugh
  • fuzzywuzz
    edited April 2012
    But... seeing you here... I (and others) couldn't help but notice your distinct absence when the "you know what" hit the fan over the temporary ban/non-punishment of goon glitchers. Too above us all to express an opinion back then fuzzy ? b:laugh

Lets not derail the thread, but to give you an answer...

The panda could care less about those who abused said glitch to level up. In PVE it matters not what level you are if you have half a brain and understand your class. In PVP the panda, even though only in full Nirvana with 0 rank gear, can still hold his own to this day. Fuzzy never attempted to abuse the glitch and those who did... well, whatever, it doesn't personally affect the panda's game play.

Ban em, don't ban em, Fuzzy thinks that if they really well and truly looked, the GM's would be hard pressed to find a player who at one time or another hasn't glitched something, be it 2nd boss in FC, dragons in FC, Illusion in 3-3 etc etc etc. The list goes on.

Fuzzy enjoys playing with those he knows and how the rest choose to spend their time has little or no impact on the panda.
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • fuzzywuzz
    edited April 2012
    I agree.

But I have to ask would you rather have a bunch of people trying to be helpful to a new player or exsisting player, or would rather it be the way it is now where it is nothing but disrespectful comments and threads about how much this game sucks?

If all you read is General Disscussion, then yes, it may appear this way. However, Fuzzy would point out that in many other sections of the forum the negativity is by no means as pervalent.

...and way to delete you post Sagek and make Fuzzy look like his talking to himself with a double post. lol
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    ...and way to delete you post Sagek and make Fuzzy look like his talking to himself with a double post. lol

lol, my bad I was rethinking that comment and you ninja'd me.
  • SkogDyr - Lost City
    SkogDyr - Lost City Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Time to step out of the shadows for a moment.

I haven't logged into PWI for a few weeks. I have no idea when or if I will log in again.
    I am unhappy with PWE for a variety of reasons and have voiced my displeasure here in the forums.

Why do I still log in? I log in with the hope that either PWE wakes up and starts taking better care of the "flagship" game in deed and not just lip service... or another company buys out the rights to PWI-NA.
    I also log in to answer questions and provide insight into the EP world. You know there is some skill required to play the EP role... not just faceroll like a <cough>.
    There are still some of us who don't need to be encouraged to be helpful. There are even a few us us who enjoy giving advice for gameplay to those just starting.

I wish all my best to the new people and those who continue to play. Just as wish no ill feelings to those who continue, I demand the same respect to those of us who moved on. I know that you may not like it when someone vents fustration over a game that we have invested time and money into. Some of us can get angry when we see a great game get torn apart by bad business choices and obvious mis-steps. So if we vent, let us be and that will be that.

I would hope that Fuzzy isn't suggesting a forum ban on people who voice opinions contrary to what PWE wants to be published. Doing so would foster a greater level of distrust for the mods and make for more venom being published on MMORPG fan sites.

'Til next time ~Skog

<saunters back to the shadows>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roswald
    edited April 2012
    Time to step out of the shadows for a moment.

I haven't logged into PWI for a few weeks. I have no idea when or if I will log in again.
    I am unhappy with PWE for a variety of reasons and have voiced my displeasure here in the forums.

Why do I still log in? I log in with the hope that either PWE wakes up and starts taking better care of the "flagship" game in deed and not just lip service... or another company buys out the rights to PWI-NA.
    I also log in to answer questions and provide insight into the EP world. You know there is some skill required to play the EP role... not just faceroll like a <cough>.
    There are still some of us who don't need to be encouraged to be helpful. There are even a few us us who enjoy giving advice for gameplay to those just starting.

I wish all my best to the new people and those who continue to play. Just as wish no ill feelings to those who continue, I demand the same respect to those of us who moved on. I know that you may not like it when someone vents fustration over a game that we have invested time and money into. Some of us can get angry when we see a great game get torn apart by bad business choices and obvious mis-steps. So if we vent, let us be and that will be that.

I would hope that Fuzzy isn't suggesting a forum ban on people who voice opinions contrary to what PWE wants to be published. Doing so would foster a greater level of distrust for the mods and make for more venom being published on MMORPG fan sites.

'Til next time ~Skog

<saunters back to the shadows>

Its not that people don't like the game that irritates people. Its that many of those people rather than pointing out to the devs the issues and leaving instead choose to hang around a board of a game they don't like and constantly spam about how awful the game is and that nobody should play it and basically try to shove their opinions down everyone else's throats.

If a new player shows up they should be given basic advice on how to play the game and then left to try it and make up their own mind about the game, not be berated for the very idea of playing the game and told to go to a different game because the respondent in question doesn't personally like the game.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Some of us can get angry when we see a great game get torn apart by bad business choices and obvious mis-steps. So if we vent, let us be and that will be that.

That's fully understandable. I feel the same way with things.

But there is some people who literally seize every chance to ruin it for others. There's a big difference between voicing your opinion and trash talking every time you can. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]