Ok, so I HAVE to ask!

2»

Comments

• John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I always just thought of it as a term of endearment - like "Abby".

I would ask you what claws you use, but you would probably say (and type) "decides" . . . . my own personal pet peeve.

But all in all, lighten up. It's not stupidity, so correcting them doesn't make you "smart". Copying a name from one spot in the game to another doesn't take brilliance. It takes paying attention to detail, maybe. And perhaps not being lazy.

But then again, it is a game - who wants to focus so intently to not make this type of "error", assuming you can correctly call it that. Lots of people play this game to relax, precisely to get away from real life's requirements of being careful, and diligent, and detail oriented, etc. Your comment completely overlooks this aspect of the game.

The fact that you have your panties so in a bunch about something this simple doesn't show THEM to be stupid, ijs b:surrender

That ain't nothing, there was a veno/bm I once knew and he permanently called them "dec a laydes" on vent. I wanted to punch him.
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    But then again, it is a game - who wants to focus so intently to not make this type of "error", assuming you can correctly call it that. Lots of people play this game to relax, precisely to get away from real life's requirements of being careful, and diligent, and detail oriented, etc. Your comment completely overlooks this aspect of the game.

Your response is incomprehensible. So what you're saying is I should have two different hats. When I go to work or school I should wear my 'smart cap', and when I am just 'relaxing' or 'playing a game' I should wear my 'dummy cap'? I would have never guessed that I could only 'be smart' at certain times of the day, and then just 'not worry about it' the rest...

Or, are you saying; if I was a journalist "u wud nvr now the diff. if i wuz edumicated or not since any way I rite ull be abel to understand since u play PW" b:chuckle

Or if I was a journalist, would my articles have to be meticulous? So that educated people could understand them? However, as soon as I got home I could 'hopz on a vid gme n strt tlkng how3v3r I wnt, cuz wht it dont meen nuttin Im jst laxxin'...

Seriously ...

{Oh and BTW I am ax/hammer so I don't use deicides [not to mention there's no such thing as decides/weapons] :p}
  • ryuujitaka
    ryuujitaka Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I think you guys should take some time and relax. Do some meditation or yoga. Trust me, it works. I say this because I really can't see why this matters at all. If you are seriously obsessing over how someone else on a game spells words, then you must be really stressed out.
  • starfever
    starfever Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Ahh yes, you mean similar to how people say "I could care less" when they intend to imply that they do not care, because that would in fact mean that you DO care, because you "COULD care less" b:laughb:laugh

When the "proper" saying to imply that you do not care would be "I couldn't care less"

b:surrender THAT one gets me EVERY time

me: "Oh so you DO care" ROFL
    X: "NO I SAID I COULD CARE LESS'
    me: "exactly so you DO care, because you COULD care LESS ~ dummy"
    X: "oh, well then I mean I COULDN'T care less"
    me: "THERE YA GO"

Lol !! exactly b:victory

Just thought of another one i often see... "Can i join your FRACTION ?" b:laugh
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    starfever wrote: »
    Just thought of another one i often see... "Can i join your FRACTION ?" b:laugh

Someone actually pmed me once: 'envite faction plis' ...

Let's just say, I went afk quickly. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Toonsurfer - Sanctuary
    Toonsurfer - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

So as long as the meaning is understood, Does it really matter?????

Just food for thought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ODANG - Lost City
    ODANG - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I was wondering if HARSHLANDS is the only server where most players seem to only have a 1st grade reading ability, or is it all servers?

More specifically, what I'm talking about (at least ONE good example here) is how VERY frequently I see people "building squads" for:
    ●ABBA
    ●ABANDON
    ●ABBANDON

Those are the most common, but I've even seen 'worse' (if you could imagine that)!

When CLEARLY the PROPER spelling is ● ABADDON (as it clearly states on the map, and 'tabs', and god knows where else) as can be seen here: http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/images/5/52/Fb99_abaddon_labeled.jpg

I guess if this is not unique to Harshlands I will just have to 'get used to it' b:surrender

However, if there are 'smarter' servers out there, I can't wait until they have a character/server transfer "service" ! b:chuckleb:victory

lolumadbro?
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I was wondering if HARSHLANDS is the only server where most players seem to only have a 1st grade reading ability, or is it all servers?

More specifically, what I'm talking about (at least ONE good example here) is how VERY frequently I see people "building squads" for:
    ●ABBA
    ●ABANDON
    ●ABBANDON

Those are the most common, but I've even seen 'worse' (if you could imagine that)!

When CLEARLY the PROPER spelling is ● ABADDON (as it clearly states on the map, and 'tabs', and god knows where else) as can be seen here: http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/images/5/52/Fb99_abaddon_labeled.jpg

I guess if this is not unique to Harshlands I will just have to 'get used to it' b:surrender

However, if there are 'smarter' servers out there, I can't wait until they have a character/server transfer "service" ! b:chuckleb:victory

There are a lot of foreigners playing on raging tide, and as most people understand, words are pronounced differently, or have different names altogether. On top of this, I don't read a damn thing on PWI unless it's highlighted, I was trained that way after doing quests for 1-45 (DERP WHATS A BH?) on 2 characters and learned that the story for each quest was full of **** and bad translations, lol...

Back more on topic though; how do you even pronounce this instance?

Uh-bad-in with no strong letters?

Or maybe

Uhbad-dawn (Like the dawn of morning), saying it like it's spelled with two D's. b:surrenderb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

So as long as the meaning is understood, Does it really matter?????

Just food for thought.

+1

True. Especially considering that some people are from different countries, and don's speak english as their native language. Others are tired, and others just do it for other reasons.

I'll admit that I notice and get irked some by misspelled words. (I'm an education major.) However, its something that can't always be helped or avoided so easily.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    LMFAO, off by a little bit. I think this one is more likely the real cause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZJoCfgAEuE

Olba's was probably more reliable.

I actually watched that entire video all the way. It is extremely biased, doesn't have sufficient reliable evidence to back it's claims, and draws inaccurate conclusions.

The video conveniently provides number information for some graphic figures, and not for others. The one that really struck me was the child murder and suicide rate, said to have"skyrocketed" and depicted simply by a random graph line; giving no evidence that it was in any way official or reliable, and neglecting to state the actual numbers.

The accounts of fluoride in drinking water are also blown out of proportion, as the levels of fluoride in water are minuscule. With the amount of fluoride in the water, we would be dead from hyponatremia before feeling any effects of fluoride if we were to drink to our human limit.

tl;dr: that video is stupid. and also...
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited February 2012

Uhbad-dawn (Like the dawn of morning), saying it like it's spelled with two D's. b:surrenderb:bye

You would pronounce it as uh-bad-n. It means a place of destruction, or the depths of hell. It's primary usage is in religious texts, but it fell out of proper usage in the 14th century according to the dictionary. So a person should be forgiven for reading it as Abandon because they aren't paying close attention. Same thing with deicide being read as decide. It's easy to miss that I, and doesn't necessarily mean you are illiterate.

Olba's was probably more reliable.

I actually watched that entire video all the way. It is extremely biased, doesn't have sufficient reliable evidence to back it's claims, and draws inaccurate conclusions.

The video conveniently provides number information for some graphic figures, and not for others. The one that really struck me was the child murder and suicide rate, said to have"skyrocketed" and depicted simply by a random graph line; giving no evidence that it was in any way official or reliable, and neglecting to state the actual numbers.

The accounts of fluoride in drinking water are also blown out of proportion, as the levels of fluoride in water are minuscule. With the amount of fluoride in the water, we would be dead from hyponatremia before feeling any effects of fluoride if we were to drink to our human limit.

tl;dr: that video is stupid. and also...

This. It lists some books at the end of the video, but that isn't sufficient evidence to back up it's claims. They needed to at least state some of the references used in those books to back up the claims in the video, they needed to prove that relationship between the increased suicides of teens isn't spurious. For example, yes more people might be getting psychiatric treatment and therefore be on medication. At the exact same time, more teens could be committing suicide. That doesn't mean that A caused B.

Classic Example ahead
    I mean in the summer, people who eat ice cream and then mow the lawn are more likely to have a die than people who mowed the lawn but didn't eat ice cream that day. Not because eating ice cream gives is going to cause you to instantly keel over. Rather, ice cream consumption tends to increase when the temperature outside does. And higher temperatures leads to higher risks of heat strokes and other heat related illnesses. A went up at the same time as B, but A didn't cause B.

There is no evidence in that video that proves that one correlates to the other. Did they control for the increased cases of bullying? Because bullying has been on the rise ever since the internet has given teens and children increased the ease of bullying and decreased the likelihood of getting caught. Many of the teen shooters they identified in the video, in fact, were teens who were troubled you who were bullied constantly. You'd have to control for that factor to say with any kind of certainty that it's a vast government conspiracy to drug the kids. This is just ONE example in a multitude of factors. The fact that these kids were all on drugs could just as easily be an unrelated coincidence due to the fact that they were all deeply disturbed to begin with.

That's just one example of where they offered no convincing facts and instead just hope you don't think critically about what's being presented. That video is nothing but propaganda.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Some people say 'abba', other people understands "Ooh, Its BH99 on Hell, I need that one!". They all form squad, get excitement cards and everyone quits happy.

I don't get it, what's wrong with that?
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I AM A GRAMMAR ****.

Uhm, sometimes I don't speak with proper English. But when I do, it makes me feel COOLER.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • MyuMyu - Harshlands
    MyuMyu - Harshlands Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Some people say 'abba', other people understands "Ooh, Its BH99 on Hell, I need that one!". They all form squad, get excitement cards and everyone quits happy.

I don't get it, what's wrong with that?

same annoyance between you're and your?
    also, I feel the same to other grammar hippies who writes "explaint" rather than "explain", or the need to add "t" at the end of the word just because it sounds like it ended with "-nt".

if they're trolling I wouldn't care.. but if those ppl rly thinks thats the real spelling.. there's this sudden urge growing inside me that makes me wants to snap their neck or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I still don't understand why people say Deicides are Decides, and the recent expansion called Decent..
    edited February 2012
    You would pronounce it as uh-bad-n. blah blah blah

Then I've been saying it correctly all along. b:victoryb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver
    _Nerox_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 753 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Why do you say BM, its Blademaster! b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I Miss the old days of PWIb:surrender
  • Bunny_slayer - Harshlands
    Bunny_slayer - Harshlands Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    here's my favorite, and you'll see this from time to time in harshlands:

"wts xxxxxx in 10kk pm me oferts"

in? kk? oferts? i'm no grammar **** but seriously, it's not nice to butcher an entire language in one sentence b:chuckle
  • Sefiere - Sanctuary
    Sefiere - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Yes, bad grammar and spelling is a SUPER CooliO way to see if someone is stupid or not. OH YEAAAHAHAHAHHAHHHHHHHH. I'm glad we have so many smartyyy ppl on tee forummm.
  • Kynt - Harshlands
    Kynt - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    read only the 1 post so don't kill me. how about "wts.....pm me offert" b:victory
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i learned engrish through pwi

now i feel ready to visit UKay and USAy and show em all hwo badass my engrish skills are now

also sites of the likes of 9gag enhanched my engrish
    i literrralllerery lvled up!

"Y U NO" is much better than "why"?

next goals:
    -work on the then/than issue
    -???
    -profit
    i like potato
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Yea, I was going to say the other one I see a lot on HL is "offert". Each and every time i see that one I almost fall out of my chair as I always think to myself "what is an offert"?
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Then again don't get me started on people that are *selling* something and ask for an offer (instead of having an asking price)... THAT is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. It escapes my logic how you could be selling something, and not know what your own asking price is. Like I have always told people (if it was something I actually wanted to buy) I would respond with "How much is asking price". Of course they respond to that (again) with "Make an offer" ~ So, being the smart *** that I am (and to prove a point) I say "ok, I offer you 1 coin".

SERIOUSLY people, if you're going to be selling something, have an asking price, or you're going to look stupid! The comparison I always think of is (think of it this way). When you walk into a store things have price tags on them do they not? I can safely assure you (at least in the US) you're not going to walk into a store to see a sign that says "You'll notice our items don't have price tags, please, just make an offer". Well, that's about as stupid as I think it is when you're attempting to sell something and you don't even have an asking price! I think if you really like selling things that way (what do you think you wind up getting more money in the end?) I say you should open a RL store like that, your main signage at the entrance of the store would read "You'll notice our items don't have 'set' price tags on them, please select an item(s) of your liking, then bring them to the register where you'll be required to 'make an offer'" !!! I'd LOVE to hear how you're going to train your cashiers b:chuckle

The other example I have would be if you were selling your car. Every time I see a vehicle for sale the person that owns it usually puts nice big signage in the window that discloses the desired price. If you put your car out there with nothing more than "for sale, make offer" I can safely say I would not be calling you, no matter how bad I wanted the car. If you're not smart enough to know the value of the item you're selling, you do not deserve to sell it at all b:surrender

Seriously people, just because you have a 'base' asking price does not mean that people wont still try to offer higher or lower anyway. Example, you announce "I'm selling X asking 1 MIL OBO" you may get a PM "yea hey I offer 750k" you may get another one that says "ok 1 MIL it is, where are you", you may get another one that says "I'll pay 1 Mil" you could respond "sorry someone already offered asking price" ~ they may turn around and say "oh, well I offer 2 MIL" if it's something they want bad enough. So in the end, you're still most likely to make the same amount of money whether you have a 'base' asking price or not. However, if you don't have an asking price to start with you're just going to look like a moron b:shutup
  • starfever
    starfever Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Yeah that always irks me too and i generally offer a ridiculously low price just to get a response. Sometimes they answer 'youre kidding right?' so i say 'what do you expect..you have no guide price?' and they usually (reluctantly) give me a rough idea of what theyre looking for :/
    edited February 2012
    Then again don't get me started on people that are *selling* something and ask for an offer (instead of having an asking price)... THAT is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. It escapes my logic how you could be selling something, and not know what your own asking price is. Like I have always told people (if it was something I actually wanted to buy) I would respond with "How much is asking price". Of course they respond to that (again) with "Make an offer" ~ So, being the smart *** that I am (and to prove a point) I say "ok, I offer you 1 coin".

SERIOUSLY people, if you're going to be selling something, have an asking price, or you're going to look stupid! The comparison I always think of is (think of it this way). When you walk into a store things have price tags on them do they not? I can safely assure you (at least in the US) you're not going to walk into a store to see a sign that says "You'll notice our items don't have price tags, please, just make an offer". Well, that's about as stupid as I think it is when you're attempting to sell something and you don't even have an asking price! I think if you really like selling things that way (what do you think you wind up getting more money in the end?) I say you should open a RL store like that, your main signage at the entrance of the store would read "You'll notice our items don't have 'set' price tags on them, please select an item(s) of your liking, then bring them to the register where you'll be required to 'make an offer'" !!! I'd LOVE to hear how you're going to train your cashiers b:chuckle

The other example I have would be if you were selling your car. Every time I see a vehicle for sale the person that owns it usually puts nice big signage in the window that discloses the desired price. If you put your car out there with nothing more than "for sale, make offer" I can safely say I would not be calling you, no matter how bad I wanted the car. If you're not smart enough to know the value of the item you're selling, you do not deserve to sell it at all b:surrender

Seriously people, just because you have a 'base' asking price does not mean that people wont still try to offer higher or lower anyway. Example, you announce "I'm selling X asking 1 MIL OBO" you may get a PM "yea hey I offert 750k" you may get another one that says "ok 1 MIL it is, where are you", you may get another one that says "I'll pay 1 Mil" you could respond "sorry someone already offered asking price" ~ they may turn around and say "oh, well I offer 2 MIL" if it's something they want bad enough. So in the end, you're still most likely to make the same amount of money whether you have a 'base' asking price or not. However, if you don't have an asking price to start with you're just going to look like a moron b:shutup

Fixed.

Everything else I agree with, lolz b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    Fixed.

Everything else I agree with, lolz b:bye

b:laughb:laughb:laugh