Ok, so I HAVE to ask!

Sparc - Harshlands
Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I was wondering if HARSHLANDS is the only server where most players seem to only have a 1st grade reading ability, or is it all servers?

More specifically, what I'm talking about (at least ONE good example here) is how VERY frequently I see people "building squads" for:
●ABBA
●ABANDON
●ABBANDON

Those are the most common, but I've even seen 'worse' (if you could imagine that)!

When CLEARLY the PROPER spelling is ● ABADDON (as it clearly states on the map, and 'tabs', and god knows where else) as can be seen here: http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/images/5/52/Fb99_abaddon_labeled.jpg

I guess if this is not unique to Harshlands I will just have to 'get used to it' b:surrender

However, if there are 'smarter' servers out there, I can't wait until they have a character/server transfer "service" ! b:chuckleb:victory
Post edited by Sparc - Harshlands on

Comments

• Sereneai - Dreamweaver
    Sereneai - Dreamweaver Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I see "ABBA" on Dreamweaver a lot, not sure how that got there.

I also see"ABA", which makes sense(ABA-ddon)--I've used it myself, when I was trying to keep typing fast or was out of characters in chat.

I can't say that I've ever, EVER seen "ABANDON" or "ABBANDON," or any other such perversion, however.
    Things said during a Twizted faction PK session:
    Slayer_of_Souls: you guys are such suck ups. none of you have attacked twid.
    Twiddzly(fac leader): no, sere killed me already.
    Slayer_of_Souls: he's out there waiting for us, isn't he. i'm gonna die.
    Sereneai: b:sin why don't you come find out.
    Kinglkaruga: you go first dule.
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    I see "ABBA" on Dreamweaver a lot, not sure how that got there.

I also see"ABA", which makes sense(ABA-ddon)--I've used it myself, when I was trying to keep typing fast or was out of characters in chat.

I can't say that I've ever, EVER seen "ABANDON" or "ABBANDON," or any other such perversion, however.

Yes, i could understand using ABA due to the tight limit on how many characters can be used in chat (unless they're using a really short message like "PM me 4 ABA")... Or any other necessary abbreviations. It just has gotten really aggravating to me lately. Especially when I am initially not 'mean' about it, but I will PM someone to let them know it's "Abaddon" (in a polite and non demeaning manner) and then next thing you know they're going off on ME b:laugh Then ofc I'm just like OMG well at least I'm not the one the failed 2nd grade reading class b:surrender
  • TwinDreams - Harshlands
    TwinDreams - Harshlands Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I was wondering if HARSHLANDS is the only server where most players seem to only have a 1st grade reading ability, or is it all servers?

More specifically, what I'm talking about (at least ONE good example here) is how VERY frequently I see people "building squads" for:
    ●ABBA
    ●ABA
    ●ABANDON
    ●ABBANDON

Those are the most common, but I've even seen 'worse' (if you could imagine that)!

When CLEARLY the PROPER spelling is ● ABADDON (as it clearly states on the map, and 'tabs', and god knows where else) as can be seen here: http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/images/5/52/Fb99_abaddon_labeled.jpg

I guess if this is not unique to Harshlands I will just have to 'get used to it' b:surrender

However, if there are 'smarter' servers out there, I can't wait until they have a character/server transfer "service" ! b:chuckleb:victory

To all Harshland players,

Make sure, as long as Sparc is online, to type every single thing in full. Otherwise you will be accused of being uneducated, or not "smart". So, for example:

"Our squad need 4 more people for Bounty Hunter: Seat of Torment" instead of "LF 4 more for BH SOT"

"I want to sell Perfect Token of Luck for 10,000 coins each" instead of "WTS token 10k ea" because you know thats a short statement, and is aggravating.

Ok take note and change!
  • OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver
    OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Man are you serious? I for one could shrug that off but... ever see people say "if bh69 squad"?

Seriously? if? are people really that stupid to type the letter "i" instead of the letter "L"? At this point i have to question their ability to change a light bulb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'm guilty of saying 'abba'. xD Or if I'm in a funny mood 'abba-dabba' b:chuckle

But then again.. I'm also on the server that spams 'vana' when it's 2x. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • MrMelvin - Heavens Tear
    MrMelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I'd say most people on HT say Aba except for the 'english is my second language' players who says abandon.

What grinds my gears are people who don't actually mention what instance they are running and just say LFM 100+ pm me and I'm like eh?
  • PlayfulSoul - Heavens Tear
    PlayfulSoul - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I assume pwi is for all, including the spelling police and those of us who weren't born with a keyboard in our hands? I type horribly, my spelling mistakes are infamous amongst my friends. But either I misspell or I fail to heal u in a squad, because I am searching for my keys. Alternatively I do not communicate at all. Boring and impractical.

Please don't say I should take up knitting instead. b:chuckle
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Please don't say I should take up knitting instead. b:chuckle

Have you considered crochet? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • LividLemur - Dreamweaver
    LividLemur - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    There was something in the air that night
    The stars were bright, Fernando
  • Shandaar - Dreamweaver
    Shandaar - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Man are you serious? I for one could shrug that off but... ever see people say "if bh69 squad"?

Seriously? if? are people really that stupid to type the letter "i" instead of the letter "L"? At this point i have to question their ability to change a light bulb.

Oh god that bugs me too. "if bh69 pme pliss"... Makes me die a little inside DX...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I tell myself it's because of this. Most likely not, but it's a nice thought.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Why? Because abba is the pet name of abaddon, Much like FB isn't actually in the game but still to this day we are using the old MY term on our FBs. Its not a matter of education its personal preference or in some of those cases not knowing actually how to spell it. Afterall not everyone pays attention to EVERY NAME they come across in the game.

Oh and the if instead of LF some people see lf and see capitol I instead of L and see it as if so they type if.

b:cute People need to get off their grammer **** horses and realize not everyone is perfect. Honestly it makes me cringe when someone says they correct someone for a spelling mistake like that. Y u No LiKe My sPeLlIng :(((
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2012
    Typing "if" makes you look like an idiot, period. There is no excuse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuujitaka
    ryuujitaka Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Unified spelling is a relatively new concept. There have been intelligent people who can read and write perfectly fine since long before its creation. I'd say someone's ability to spell words correctly has nothing to do with their reading or comprehension levels. Stop being ****.

However, I will agree that replacing "LF" with "if" just screams ignorance.
  • DreamDrops - Dreamweaver
    DreamDrops - Dreamweaver Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Hold on to your Onions folks, THE get it correct or else people can read minds too.

'LF BH 69' - is allowed & a statement.
    'if bh 69' - is disallowed & a question.

Wonder if we are allowed '? bh 69' lol
    There are NO Adults in this World,

Just old Children, with Wrinkles b:chuckle
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    I tell myself it's because of this. Most likely not, but it's a nice thought.

LMFAO, off by a little bit. I think this one is more likely the real cause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZJoCfgAEuE
  • starfever
    starfever Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    LOL there are many examples of illiteracy from players in this game...mostly from PKers funnily enough - maybe that is to be expected though b:chuckle

The spelling errors that really make me face-palm though are where some ppl have actually got their names wrong for all the world to see...

It usually concerns the notoriously difficult words Sword (often seen as 'sowrd') and Dragon ('Dargon' is a fave) ...

Then there is the extremely irritating use of 'could of' instead of 'could have' etc b:cry

Honestly, there are foreigners in this game that speak better English .....b:sad
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
  • Exiirah - Lost City
    Exiirah - Lost City Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    "BARBAR" (barb) b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuujitaka
    ryuujitaka Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    starfever wrote: »
    LOL there are many examples of illiteracy from players in this game...mostly from PKers funnily enough - maybe that is to be expected though b:chuckle

The spelling errors that really make me face-palm though are where some ppl have actually got their names wrong for all the world to see...

It usually concerns the notoriously difficult words Sword (often seen as 'sowrd') and Dragon ('Dargon' is a fave) ...

Then there is the extremely irritating use of 'could of' instead of 'could have' etc b:cry

Honestly, there are foreigners in this game that speak better English .....b:sad

A misspelled name doesn't necessarily mean that the person cannot spell.
    Keep in mind that some people deliberately misspell their names because they want a particular name, but it is already taken, or it is too long if spelled correctly. What matters is that you knew that by "Sowrd" they meant "Sword".

I'll admit, though, that it is a bit trashy. Even if it is deliberate, I'd have a hard time playing a toon with an obviously misspelled name for very long.
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    I must say, I am surprised I haven't gotten any "calm down it's just a video game" responses the way some of them have been. So, just because it's a video game we're supposed to allow people to be stupid? So, I am somehow the one in the wrong here, this is perfectly acceptable across the board?

Am I really supposed to take offense to being called a "Grammar ****", when all you're doing is attempting to shift the primary focus of your illiteracy to my being focused on the fact that you do not even know the difference of common homophones.
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    not everyone is perfect.

Supposed to be, this is "PERFECT WORLD" b:laughb:chuckleb:laugh

In all seriousness though, I am not perfect either, nor at any point in time have I ever claimed to be. I however attempt to LEARN from my mistakes anytime someone corrects me, opposed to attempting to turn the table on them, to somehow make them feel like the dumb one. I do not take offense to being corrected as it's the only way I will ever really LEARN something. If you were to just let me continue to make the same error over and over again, how would I ever know or realize I am making an error.
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I personally use AB, but most use ABA on lost city. I don't see the point of using the full name has the sentence is restricted in the number of character you can use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Semis_Inferi - Archosaur
    Semis_Inferi - Archosaur Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    i use alot of abbreviations myself...mainly because people wont respond if i use the longform

this new language,i call it typo shorthand :D

i often typo on certain words..mainly because i have bad short term memory,and a virtual lack of streoscopic depth perception (turns out motion parralax and color constrast work just fine though)

:/ but what are ye gonna do?its not going to go away..mainly because of the short sentence limit

did you know shorthand was originally a sub-tongue of latin,figured by scribes as a way to quickly write down things people were speaking,to translate it into full text later?

like the symbol " @ which is so often used on email addresses these days....thats actually latin short hand form for at"...

kind of ironic how these "problems" the OP seems so enamored with actually started hundereds of years ago,and simply became more obvious with the advent of global communication
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    I'm not necessarily against abbreviations, just poor ones that make no sense if anything. My main overall discrepancy is literacy. I just happened to use Abaddon as my prime example since so many people (on HL) erroneously call it Abandon, Abanndon, Abanddon, Abbandon, Abbanddon, Abbanndon, Abbannddon, Abbaddon, or incorrectly abbreviate it ABBA; it just really re-iterates my point that literacy is down. I've seen it pretty much called everything except ABADDON (which is its real name)!

I understand in game you have a limited amount of letters you can type on a single line. So I am not entirely against abbreviating things. Although I do also think way too much is abbreviated now-a-days! We freakin' abbreviate everything! I'd much rather see something like this:
    "LF Abaddon BH" OR "Looking For ABA BH"
    opposed to:
    "LFBHAB" (or "LF BH AB") etcetera...

With how often people abbreviate now-a-days:
    wmawtltamegwtfyattstt (don't try to actually figure that one out because I wont remember it later!)
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    I am familiar with 'shorthand', but I would not consider what we are referring to as shorthand =\
  • Semis_Inferi - Archosaur
    Semis_Inferi - Archosaur Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    ah yes i get it now...

well i think with brains being biological computers...that as long as the transmission that is sent generates a functional response,then there is no real problem
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I always just thought of it as a term of endearment - like "Abby".

I would ask you what claws you use, but you would probably say (and type) "decides" . . . . my own personal pet peeve.

But all in all, lighten up. It's not stupidity, so correcting them doesn't make you "smart". Copying a name from one spot in the game to another doesn't take brilliance. It takes paying attention to detail, maybe. And perhaps not being lazy.

But then again, it is a game - who wants to focus so intently to not make this type of "error", assuming you can correctly call it that. Lots of people play this game to relax, precisely to get away from real life's requirements of being careful, and diligent, and detail oriented, etc. Your comment completely overlooks this aspect of the game.

The fact that you have your panties so in a bunch about something this simple doesn't show THEM to be stupid, ijs b:surrender
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
    edited February 2012
    I think the "LFBHAB" example you gave is an example of minimizing keystrokes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited February 2012
    starfever wrote: »

Ahh yes, you mean similar to how people say "I could care less" when they intend to imply that they do not care, because that would in fact mean that you DO care, because you "COULD care less" b:laughb:laugh

When the "proper" saying to imply that you do not care would be "I couldn't care less"

b:surrender THAT one gets me EVERY time

me: "Oh so you DO care" ROFL
    X: "NO I SAID I COULD CARE LESS'
    me: "exactly so you DO care, because you COULD care LESS ~ dummy"
    X: "oh, well then I mean I COULDN'T care less"
    me: "THERE YA GO"