New scam per email?

Comments

• Melora - Lost City
    Melora - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    You are all tardasses, this isn't a scam and here is why.

1. They have an overwhelming amount of detail for many, many people. The chance of an outside entity deciding to "**** the ticket database" is an absolutely ridiculous notion. What in the world could possibly be in there that is useful? If they have access to the database why in the world would they only take the tickets? Explain to me that.

2. If you click the link at the top (and no idiots, just opening an email won't let bad things happen) it goes to a nonfunctioning PWE site of www-staging.perfectworld.com/login this leads me to believe this was intentional and PWE was attempting to use OAuth (just like Facebook, Twitter, and many other sites use. Google it if you want to know more)

3. Going to the actual url that the email was sent from (custhelp.com) leads to http://www.rightnow.com/ and I have heard of that company, they are reputable so there goes the "scam" argument yet again.

I am really surprised how stupid people can be and don't even try to investigate to see what is up, it really is a simple matter of connecting the dots to see that it is indeed not a scam.

It is also relatively obvious that PWE wants to either outsource their ticketing system to that company OR they want to use a different system for ticketing.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited December 2011

1. They have an overwhelming amount of detail for many, many people. The chance of an outside entity deciding to "**** the ticket database" is an absolutely ridiculous notion. What in the world could possibly be in there that is useful? If they have access to the database why in the world would they only take the tickets? Explain to me that.

2. If you click the link at the top (and no idiots, just opening an email won't let bad things happen) it goes to a nonfunctioning PWE site of www-staging.perfectworld.com/login this leads me to believe this was intentional and PWE was attempting to use OAuth (just like Facebook, Twitter, and many other sites use. Google it if you want to know more)

3. Going to the actual url that the email was sent from (custhelp.com) leads to http://www.rightnow.com/ and I have heard of that company, they are reputable so there goes the "scam" argument yet again.

I am really surprised how stupid people can be and don't even try to investigate to see what is up, it really is a simple matter of connecting the dots to see that it is indeed not a scam.

The email address they used just didn't look that legit. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimli
    grimli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Just to let you guys know, this is NOT a scam email so you don't have to worry. You can safely disregard and delete these emails. We apologize if you got spammed with these email notifications. This was unintended.

The support portal is currently being revamped behind the scenes and all the old tickets are being migrated over into a new system.
  • Melora - Lost City
    edited December 2011
    grimli wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, this is NOT a scam email so you don't have to worry. You can safely disregard and delete these emails. We apologize if you got spammed with these email notifications. This was unintended.

The support portal is currently being revamped behind the scenes and all the old tickets are being migrated over into a new system.

See? I told all of you...

/lrn2notbstupid
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited December 2011

Oh look it's a gm that actually works on the weekend. b:chuckle

Your join date says aug 2008 yet I never heard of you... you don't talk much do you. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    lol, i got two of them. Clicked and opened both, first link got a "Unable to connect" error for whatever web page it was trying to send me to. The other one just gave me a "javascript(0);" message.

Either way I came here to the actual site and low and behold I actually had a ticket that was unresponded too. *waits for ban for the response I gave them <.<*
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    That's 100% a scam. Please submit a ticket as well to let the GMs know.

Thanks!

have you two met?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    See? I told all of you...

/lrn2notbstupid

Emails coming from an unknown source with suspicious information inside and broken links? No reason to be suspicious at all huh?

Dumbass, not all of us are going put effort into proving something legit when it looks so fake and potentially dangerous. This is the sort of thing PWE should put a bloody announcement up about before doing so people know in advance things might get funky.

Additionally the email adress is far from even close to the usual ones we receive.
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.
  • _oshi_ - Archosaur
    _oshi_ - Archosaur Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2011

What a relief. A little warning next time would be nice. b:thanks
  • Melora - Lost City
    edited December 2011
    Emails coming from an unknown source with suspicious information inside and broken links? No reason to be suspicious at all huh?

Dumbass, not all of us are going put effort into proving something legit when it looks so fake and potentially dangerous. This is the sort of thing PWE should put a bloody announcement up about before doing so people know in advance things might get funky.

Additionally the email adress is far from even close to the usual ones we receive.

It took me all of 30 seconds to figure it all out, if you can't even put the pieces together quick enough to realize it isn't fake (for one going with the link very quickly proves it isn't fake) and then very simply going to the custhelp.com brings you to a very legitimate company.

Figured all of this out in under 30 seconds with some logical reasoning (such as why in the hell would someone want to steal just the useless ticket database)

So who is the dumbass now?
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited December 2011

It is also relatively obvious that PWE wants to either outsource their ticketing system to that company OR they want to use a different system for ticketing.

So let's see the general indicators that an email is a scam that every single company on earth that deals with financial information has on it's website: and yes the every single website on earth thing is an exaggeration, to make a point

1)Fake emails often ask you to reply to the message with confidential information.

CHECK, it told me to login

2)They often have an urgent tone and threaten account suspension if you don't update your information right away.

You're ticket has been closed because you won't reply, if you want this matter resolved login

3)They might include attachments, or links to websites that are close to the real thing but misspelled in some way

check

4)They often have a generic greeting

This one was not the case

5)Fake email address that appears it's from the real site

check, pwe1 is not listed on their records even though they do have like three different emails.

6)If you go to the real website, you see no messages, information about the issue

check, going manually to the real website gave no information about these fake tickets

As it turns out the email was a computer generated error caused by an update to the system, but that doesn't make you stupid for not believing it instantly. Every smart person would know these 6 indicators, and regard with suspicion any email they receive that has them. But I guess you're one of the idiots that would click a fake link appearing to be from their actual bank and get yourself a key logger. Have fun with that. b:bye And I think the gold farmers proved why they would want out login info on an mmo, which is what appeared to be fishing for since the ticketing system is separate from the login system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    It took me all of 30 seconds to figure it all out, if you can't even put the pieces together quick enough to realize it isn't fake (for one going with the link very quickly proves it isn't fake) and then very simply going to the custhelp.com brings you to a very legitimate company.

Figured all of this out in under 30 seconds with some logical reasoning (such as why in the hell would someone want to steal just the useless ticket database)

So who is the dumbass now?

You still are.

I'm still suspicious about some of the account hackings. I'm not convinced that PWE's system is 100% secure on their database end.

If you are willing to be 'smart' enough to prove that to me, then by all means, do it.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • CrusherJam - Dreamweaver
    CrusherJam - Dreamweaver Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    PWI please secure your system.

How would the " spammers" even know the game we play

-Aarrrggg-
    19k Hp and rising my goal is 20k unbuffed (would love 25k )
  • Melora - Lost City
    edited December 2011
    So let's see the general indicators that an email is a scam that every single company on earth that deals with financial information has on it's website: and yes the every single website on earth thing is an exaggeration, to make a point

1)Fake emails often ask you to reply to the message with confidential information.

CHECK, it told me to login

2)They often have an urgent tone and threaten account suspension if you don't update your information right away.

You're ticket has been closed because you won't reply, if you want this matter resolved login

3)They might include attachments, or links to websites that are close to the real thing but misspelled in some way

check

4)They often have a generic greeting

This one was not the case

5)Fake email address that appears it's from the real site

check, pwe1 is not listed on their records even though they do have like three different emails.

6)If you go to the real website, you see no messages, information about the issue

check, going manually to the real website gave no information about these fake tickets

As it turns out the email was a computer generated error caused by an update to the system, but that doesn't make you stupid for not believing it instantly. Every smart person would know these 6 indicators, and regard with suspicion any email they receive that has them. But I guess you're one of the idiots that would click a fake link appearing to be from their actual bank and get yourself a key logger. Have fun with that. b:bye And I think the gold farmers proved why they would want out login info on an mmo, which is what appeared to be fishing for since the ticketing system is separate from the login system.

1. It did say to login, but the url of the site it wants to to login at is a perfectworld domain, point invalid
    2. Painfully obvious computer error, look at the dates a bit further down and you can tell it is a ticket you know was closed, point invalid
    3. Where is the mispelling? The domain the link goes to is www-staging.perfectworld.com. Subdomains can't be created by anyone if you didn't know that...
    5. It goes to a reputable website and the email contains information they would not know unless PWE gave it to them, point invalid
    6. See below, point invalid
    If you are willing to be 'smart' enough to prove that to me, then by all means, do it.

See

Tada!
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I foresee a complaining Melora within a few months because she'll get scammed... It's nice that you still trust everyone in this world but believe it or not... That are ***** out there who steal about annything you can think of... There's no shame in being suspicious every now and then... I for one worked hard for my stuff and I wouldn't take chances with a suspicious looking mail and lose everything I worked on... Meh... Glad to hear it's fine in this case... Dear GM's... Don't suddenly scare us like that... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Melora - Lost City
    edited December 2011
    I foresee a complaining Melora within a few months because she'll get scammed... It's nice that you still trust everyone in this world but believe it or not... That are ***** out there who steal about annything you can think of... There's no shame in being suspicious every now and then... I for one worked hard for my stuff and I wouldn't take chances with a suspicious looking mail and lose everything I worked on... Meh... Glad to hear it's fine in this case... Dear GM's... Don't suddenly scare us like that... b:surrender

1. I don't trust everyone in the world, I proved this isn't a scam with logical reasoning. Several minutes later one of the GMs of PWE confirmed exactly what I stated.

2. It was a bit weird looking so that is why I decided to investigate it.

3. I don't give a **** about PWI anymore anyway, I've quit long ago.

4. Just opening the email does not do a damn thing...
    edited December 2011
    3. I don't give a **** about PWI anymore anyway, I've quit long ago.

This is something I don't realy get... Why do ppl keep posting here when they no longer have interrest in the game? Although I have to agree PWE tends to mess stuff up a lot lately... b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    Asgardeus - Sanctuary Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Well, thanks for the relief. Glad to know it's actually legit.

I'm rather overcautious and do not open **** that looks like a scam than getting myself a virus/whatever. Melora, you should stop posting now, cause you're just making a fool out of yourself even more b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Melora - Lost City
    edited December 2011
    Well, thanks for the relief. Glad to know it's actually legit.

I'm rather overcautious and do not open **** that looks like a scam than getting myself a virus/whatever. Melora, you should stop posting now, cause you're just making a fool out of yourself even more b:chuckle

How am I making a fool out of myself? I was the only one that was correct in this entire thread until that one GM response. If anything the rest of you are fools for not being able to figure out that it was not a scam as I did.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited December 2011
    How am I making a fool out of myself? I was the only one that was correct in this entire thread until that one GM response. If anything the rest of you are fools for not being able to figure out that it was not a scam as I did.

Idiots don't like being told they are wrong nor do they appreciate helpful information, you should now this by now. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2011

Well gratz on that... But could you just be the smarter person without being you know... Rather insulting? We dummies would apreciate it... b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Melora - Lost City
    edited December 2011
    Well gratz on that... But could you just be the smarter person without being you know... Rather insulting? We dummies would apreciate it... b:cute

Tell that to the ones that seem to think Im an idiot for being right b:chuckle
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    People have complained before about not being notified of the reasons for being banned. There is a slight chance they're trying to implement such a thing now, PWE style (a.k.a. **** up completely).

Well waddaya know...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2011
    Tell that to the ones that seem to think Im an idiot for being right b:chuckle

Never said you where an idiot... Just gave an advice to be a little carefull when clicking links and such in a suspicious mail even if it looks real... But yeah that's just me... And I'm not afraid to admit I'm rather oversuspicous... Kinda have trusting issiues here... But rather that then losing stuff right? So let's all keep it friendly... I hate fighting over arguments and such... b:cute

But to my other question... Just out of pure curiosity... What makes a player who no longer have any interrest in the game still comming back here? I see it a lot lately but I never realy get it... b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited December 2011

But to my other question... Just out of pure curiosity... What makes a player who no longer have anny interrest in the game still comming back here? I see it a lot lately but I never realy get it... b:question

Love for the game, hate for the company.

Also, we play on other servers not hosted by PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2011
    Love for the game, hate for the company.

Also, we play on other servers not hosted by PWE.

Hate for the company... Seems like they rather stalk for the purpose of talking bad about something that they don't like... Are ppl that bored? b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrMelvin - Heavens Tear
    MrMelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I've had about 7 of these today regarding tickets I sent about 2 years ago, including some on JD. It made me lol anyway.
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Probably, Yuna lol
    I don't see any other reason than coming here to trash talk tbh.

And meh. Excuse me for not taking you serious after you start off by calling everyone names. I thought mature logical arguments don't start like that b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2011
    Probably, Yuna lol
    I don't see any other reason than coming here to trash talk tbh.

And meh. Excuse me for not taking you serious after you start off by calling everyone names. I thought mature logical arguments don't start like that b:chuckle

Err I called names? That's not like me... Well might be because of the fact english isn't my main language... I'm pretty sure I tried to be polite... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asgardeus - Sanctuary
    edited December 2011
    Oh, No no not you. The second part of my post was directed at Melora, sorry. O_O;
    Maybe I should have typed that. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.