I've been wanting to organize a special kind of tournament. A tournament that would focus on "balance" and equity between all the participants, with certain guidelines to follow. This would be in order to create a competition that literally anyone could take part in, and that would aim to greatly diminish - if not nullify - the "wallet factor".
The idea would mainly consist in gear restriction. One of the rules would be that everyone wanting to participate would have to wear the very same
type of gear. For example, everyone would have to wear the same set of NPC gear, with magic classes wearing arcane of course, melee wearing LA/HA etc, but everyone would have to put on the NPC set of gear of the same level. Now that's just one solution, but there could be others out there, and there are several points that would have to be discussed.Anyway, here are my general ideas :- Everybody in the tournament has to wear equivalent gear. This can be default NPC gear (the highest one a level 100 can wear?), or perhaps HH90, or legendary gear. NPC gear is the simplest option because it leads to less differences, which leads to more balance. Default NPC gear has no attributes nor sockets. Whereas HH90/Legendary gear can have different stats, and can have different numbers of sockets. Surely, letting everyone have those would make for more interesting fights, but compromise the balance. Maybe not by much tho, but still. Like I said, it'd have to be discussed
.- Pots would be allowed, but restricted. Everybody would be authorized a certain amount of pots for the whole tournament, which would make for a wiser use of the pots, and prevent abuses. This would include Dew of Stars, Vacuity Powders, Sutra Power Orbs and Tokens HP/MP pots (or more depending on what people want). For example, any participant will own 50 hp pots, 100 mp pots and 10 of each apoth pots I named above. This would be the entire amount of pots available to the participant throughout the whole tournament.- Genies could be allowed, but it would again need debating. Not everybody can afford a 91+ genie, but then again 71+ genies are pretty common now, so we could just ask everyone to stick to a 71+ genie, or simply allow them in certain fights only when both participants have equivalent genies.- Depending on the gear authorized, sharding could be allowed too. But it would have to be pretty restricted, like nothing beyond G7 or G8, and only "regular" shards like Garnets and Citrines and such.
- Flying would be allowed. I think the tournament should take place on one of those big rock platforms between Vibrant Cliff and Windy Tomb Canyon, just like the other tournament that was organized a while back (by RedsRose I think?).- Every participant has to have the same buffs. Same buffs, of the same level, and of the same type (Sage/Demon).- The use of HP/MP charms could be debated. I could think of a few pro's and con's (i.e with NPC gears on it might be tough to kill someone within the window of time you get in between ticks, or it would compromise the whole concept of limiting the use of pots - on the other hand, it would lead to longer, more interesting fights).- Refining should be allowed, but only to a degree that is roughly doable through mirages only. Maximum refine level would have to be +4 or +5 for example.- The format would have to be decided on. I would myself vote for a 1on1 tournament, with single elimination early on and best of three matches in the mid to late stages of the tournament, with a best of five for the final stages. I'm sure team fights can be discussed tho, but it might complicate the balance thing.
Eventhough I would like to do this for fun, I'm sure some people could use the motivation. My motivation would be that this tournament in particular would be about one's skills
, instead of one's gear and ability to pay for it.
As far as a reward is concerned, I can't say I can guarantee a large amount of money for the winner or whatever, seeing as I'm not that rich in game. If a prize pool is wanted, I think the best option would be to set an entry fee for the tournament which will set up a larger fund which can then be used as a reward (much like how Poker tournaments work).
Say everyone wanting to participate has to pay 500k to a designated "banker" who will then keep the money until the tournament is over, and reward it the way the majority voted for (i.e everything to the winner; or 50% to the winner, 30% to the second and 20% to the third and so on). This banker would have to be someone who can be trusted with money of course, like say Calvin for example, who does have a reputation of paying his debts and has an affirmed interest in tournaments like this I think.
I'm sure I got other ideas I wanted to throw in but I forget. Please feel free to chime in and add some of your own ideas, or comment and modify some of the concepts I have suggested.
I do hope this holds the interest of most people out there, because I sure think this would be a fun and interesting experience, designed to let people fight each other based only (or mostly) on their skills, their knowledge of the game and of their class.
EDIT : Suggestions/ideas
So far, these are the suggestions people came up with :- NPC gear only. No socket, no shards. Not quite settled on refines yet.
- Self buffs only. Having full buffs would cause imbalance, seeing as there are more pdef buffs than mdef ones for example, or because Veno's can purge buffs.
- No genies. Some skills would hurt way too much with NPC gear and would lead to great imbalance.
- About pots, either change the rule about them so that there is no way around it and people can't cheat on the restrictions, or remove them from the tournament all together (feel free to propose a way that would allow the use of pots and keep the chances of cheating near 0).
- Team fights over 1on1 fights, 6v6 fights seems to be the popular format.We need to settle things about the use of HP/MP Charms then. My thinking is we either allow pots or charms, but not both. Like I said, Charms might be tough to bypass with NPC gears on. But we would have to solve the issue of the rule about pots first.
Nobody said anything about the location I proposed or about the fact that flying would be allowed, so I guess those are agreed on. Nobody discussed a possible prizepool or entry fee to finance one, so this would have to be talked about aswell. Please answer in thread if more things are missing or if you feel more suggestions should be added.
PS : Please try to be constructive in your criticisms... If it turns out that this does interest people, I will go ahead and edit my post in order to list the names of the ones wanting to participate, aswell as the modifications/new ideas that were suggested by most.