Tournament idea

Risingson - Lost City
Risingson - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Twilight Temple (West)
Hello.

I've been wanting to organize a special kind of tournament. A tournament that would focus on "balance" and equity between all the participants, with certain guidelines to follow. This would be in order to create a competition that literally anyone could take part in, and that would aim to greatly diminish - if not nullify - the "wallet factor".

The idea would mainly consist in gear restriction. One of the rules would be that everyone wanting to participate would have to wear the very same type of gear. For example, everyone would have to wear the same set of NPC gear, with magic classes wearing arcane of course, melee wearing LA/HA etc, but everyone would have to put on the NPC set of gear of the same level. Now that's just one solution, but there could be others out there, and there are several points that would have to be discussed.

Anyway, here are my general ideas :

- Everybody in the tournament has to wear equivalent gear. This can be default NPC gear (the highest one a level 100 can wear?), or perhaps HH90, or legendary gear. NPC gear is the simplest option because it leads to less differences, which leads to more balance. Default NPC gear has no attributes nor sockets. Whereas HH90/Legendary gear can have different stats, and can have different numbers of sockets. Surely, letting everyone have those would make for more interesting fights, but compromise the balance. Maybe not by much tho, but still. Like I said, it'd have to be discussed.

- Pots would be allowed, but restricted. Everybody would be authorized a certain amount of pots for the whole tournament, which would make for a wiser use of the pots, and prevent abuses. This would include Dew of Stars, Vacuity Powders, Sutra Power Orbs and Tokens HP/MP pots (or more depending on what people want). For example, any participant will own 50 hp pots, 100 mp pots and 10 of each apoth pots I named above. This would be the entire amount of pots available to the participant throughout the whole tournament.

- Genies could be allowed, but it would again need debating. Not everybody can afford a 91+ genie, but then again 71+ genies are pretty common now, so we could just ask everyone to stick to a 71+ genie, or simply allow them in certain fights only when both participants have equivalent genies.

- Depending on the gear authorized, sharding could be allowed too. But it would have to be pretty restricted, like nothing beyond G7 or G8, and only "regular" shards like Garnets and Citrines and such.

- Flying would be allowed. I think the tournament should take place on one of those big rock platforms between Vibrant Cliff and Windy Tomb Canyon, just like the other tournament that was organized a while back (by RedsRose I think?).

- Every participant has to have the same buffs. Same buffs, of the same level, and of the same type (Sage/Demon).

- The use of HP/MP charms could be debated. I could think of a few pro's and con's (i.e with NPC gears on it might be tough to kill someone within the window of time you get in between ticks, or it would compromise the whole concept of limiting the use of pots - on the other hand, it would lead to longer, more interesting fights).

- Refining should be allowed, but only to a degree that is roughly doable through mirages only. Maximum refine level would have to be +4 or +5 for example.

- The format would have to be decided on. I would myself vote for a 1on1 tournament, with single elimination early on and best of three matches in the mid to late stages of the tournament, with a best of five for the final stages. I'm sure team fights can be discussed tho, but it might complicate the balance thing.

Eventhough I would like to do this for fun, I'm sure some people could use the motivation. My motivation would be that this tournament in particular would be about one's skills, instead of one's gear and ability to pay for it.

As far as a reward is concerned, I can't say I can guarantee a large amount of money for the winner or whatever, seeing as I'm not that rich in game. If a prize pool is wanted, I think the best option would be to set an entry fee for the tournament which will set up a larger fund which can then be used as a reward (much like how Poker tournaments work).

Say everyone wanting to participate has to pay 500k to a designated "banker" who will then keep the money until the tournament is over, and reward it the way the majority voted for (i.e everything to the winner; or 50% to the winner, 30% to the second and 20% to the third and so on). This banker would have to be someone who can be trusted with money of course, like say Calvin for example, who does have a reputation of paying his debts and has an affirmed interest in tournaments like this I think.

I'm sure I got other ideas I wanted to throw in but I forget. Please feel free to chime in and add some of your own ideas, or comment and modify some of the concepts I have suggested.

I do hope this holds the interest of most people out there, because I sure think this would be a fun and interesting experience, designed to let people fight each other based only (or mostly) on their skills, their knowledge of the game and of their class.

EDIT : Suggestions/ideas

So far, these are the suggestions people came up with :

- NPC gear only. No socket, no shards. Not quite settled on refines yet.

- Self buffs only. Having full buffs would cause imbalance, seeing as there are more pdef buffs than mdef ones for example, or because Veno's can purge buffs.

- No genies. Some skills would hurt way too much with NPC gear and would lead to great imbalance.

- About pots, either change the rule about them so that there is no way around it and people can't cheat on the restrictions, or remove them from the tournament all together (feel free to propose a way that would allow the use of pots and keep the chances of cheating near 0).

- Team fights over 1on1 fights, 6v6 fights seems to be the popular format.

We need to settle things about the use of HP/MP Charms then. My thinking is we either allow pots or charms, but not both. Like I said, Charms might be tough to bypass with NPC gears on. But we would have to solve the issue of the rule about pots first.

Nobody said anything about the location I proposed or about the fact that flying would be allowed, so I guess those are agreed on. Nobody discussed a possible prizepool or entry fee to finance one, so this would have to be talked about aswell.

Please answer in thread if more things are missing or if you feel more suggestions should be added.

PS : Please try to be constructive in your criticisms... If it turns out that this does interest people, I will go ahead and edit my post in order to list the names of the ones wanting to participate, aswell as the modifications/new ideas that were suggested by most.
Risingson - 7x Psychic
Indalecio - 3x Cleric
Post edited by Risingson - Lost City on

Comments

• rollerpig
    rollerpig Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    it's a good idea, i'd be down, it's too bad most won't because of charm ticks etc.
  • Bictorr - Lost City
    Bictorr - Lost City Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I'ma bring 50 of each pots, how the f**k you gonna know how many i spammed? Also gonna prepare an extra set of +10 HH90 armors, how you gonna know if i switched to it mid battle?
    Robe classes would get ***** by physical classes without godly armors, especially when the physical class have heaven/hell form of skills.
  • evolution1234
    evolution1234 Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    just wear 9x npc gear with no refines
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    I'ma bring 50 of each pots, how the f**k you gonna know how many i spammed? Also gonna prepare an extra set of +10 HH90 armors, how you gonna know if i switched to it mid battle?
    Robe classes would get ***** by physical classes without godly armors, especially when the physical class have heaven/hell form of skills.

We'd make everybody display their gear and not their fashion, that way we can tell if they are wearing the right set of armor and if they try to switch. Also, pretty sure you will feel the difference between NPC and HH90 +10, or HH90 +5 and +10 :).

As far as the pots are concerned, it was just an idea/suggestion, but I think it'd be the best option. Now, considering that the whole point of the tournament is to get rid of the cash shop barrier, if you want to cheat the people who did respect the rule and be an idiot, well that's up to you and we indeed can't control that, but it'd just be a shame.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • atreides1t5
    atreides1t5 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I think a 6v6 tournament would be pretty cool. Some classes would have more of an advantage than others so this way it's all balanced out. Not to mention the fact that it takes skill to successfully work together as a team.
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    Ya, I agree. Maybe not 6v6 tho, 3v3 or something. Teamwork is always a great part of the game that's often forgotten, sadly.

It might be true that wearing NPC gear could give an edge to the melee classes over the arcane one, so this could indeed balance it out.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • Broederjr - Lost City
    Broederjr - Lost City Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Ya, I agree. Maybe not 6v6 tho, 3v3 or something. Teamwork is always a great part of the game that's often forgotten, sadly.

It might be true that wearing NPC gear could give an edge to the melee classes over the arcane one, so this could indeed balance it out.

actually i did npc tourny's be4 and magic classes have a bigger edge then melee we even had to put magic classes to have 1 pdef buff note 1 pdef buff when there are like 5 different ones.if you gonna do it i should tell you you will need to change alot of pk rules 1 being the buffs avaible 2 is skills 3 no genies as its broken on npc gear (e.x true emptiness) 4 biggest in our server atm no pk pots. If you can make ppl do these rules its alot fun as it all comes down to skill/built but jsut my 2cent from the npc fights i did
  • sparklyee
    sparklyee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I'ma bring 50 of each pots, how the f**k you gonna know how many i spammed?

I do like your idea, Rising. However I agree with Bictorr. People will bring more pots than indicated in the "rules" no matter what. People want to win and maybe 10% of the people participating would follow the rules. Perhaps you should change that rule in a way or make it no pots at all.
    Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    Well, like I said in my post, I don't make the rules. Those are just suggestions I thought of, and everyone is free to make suggestions aswell so we can try to come up with the best option.

No pots, I can understand why. Not everybody is like me and will be willing to follow the rules just to enhance the fun. No genies, if more people say it is indeed broken if we use NPC gear, we will have to remove them.

But the buffs? How would the buff mess with the balance? Because there are more pdef buffs than mdef ones? The way I see it, Cleric/Barb buffs could be just fine and fair.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • Calvin - Lost City
    Calvin - Lost City Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I made one of this last year, no one participate. Good luck!
  • evolution1234
    evolution1234 Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I made one of this last year, no one participate. Good luck!

you just have to throw a couple hundred million
  • Calvin - Lost City
    Calvin - Lost City Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Only offered 50m as 1st place price, 20m 2nd place price, 10m 3rd place price.
    b:surrender
  • devotion
    devotion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    If you want to play pw without the wallet factor it's called senlyn.
    I like to rub it in. Enjoying the game?
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1810092&postcount=6
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3518732&postcount=17
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3986762&postcount=6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    Well then join forces with me and come try harder, Calvin. I know this would be great entertainment. Sure as hell beats the dull pvp you full r9 +12 folks are having nowadays.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • HardToThink - Lost City
    HardToThink - Lost City Posts: 967 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    What about charms?
    Siggy from bellefleurs.
    [SIGPIC]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/25yzm05jpg.png/[/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/HardToYawn?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    It's mentioned in the thread. I'm hesitant about the use of charms. I don't know if it would be possible to deal enough damage with NPC gears to actually kill someone in between charm ticks.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    What about charms?

lol Hard, I love your sig.

Also, I pm'd that idiot on my sin and told him "100 mil" XD. Shoulda tried to find you on my sin and seen if I could of actually done any worthwhile dmg with +3 2soc flawless garnet hook n' thorns :<
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rollerpig
    rollerpig Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    count me out, this tourney sounds like it'd be dominated by Archers, and Assassins, and any dece barb with a brain, which are few and far between.
  • FateBlade - Lost City
    FateBlade - Lost City Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I see this game is really boring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wadzio - Lost City
    Wadzio - Lost City Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Well, like I said in my post, I don't make the rules. Those are just suggestions I thought of, and everyone is free to make suggestions aswell so we can try to come up with the best option.

No pots, I can understand why. Not everybody is like me and will be willing to follow the rules just to enhance the fun. No genies, if more people say it is indeed broken if we use NPC gear, we will have to remove them.

But the buffs? How would the buff mess with the balance? Because there are more pdef buffs than mdef ones? The way I see it, Cleric/Barb buffs could be just fine and fair.

Then we will need to play self buffed. venos can purge... dont forget abt it... Also barbs can use lvl 100 skill.. Would be too bid agvatadge...
    Because size really MATTERS!!!
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Just keep in mind that most classes have skills that will one shot any other class.

Ex: Archer Charged Blast / Deadly Shot will one shot any arcane non crit. Wizard BIDS will one shot any class.
  • _Perses_ - Lost City
    _Perses_ - Lost City Posts: 1,917 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Here is a better question, how would you know if somebody was using a no refine or a +10 of a wep?

All they have to do is if it's hh90, or something like that, only...then all you have to do is get 2 of the wep, put them both on your skillbar and switch between them. Nobody would ever know, since they both have the same skin and refining makes no difference to looks.
    Nothing worthwhile to mention here, enjoy the animated signature~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nniotora - Lost City
    Nniotora - Lost City Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Here is a better question, how would you know if somebody was using a no refine or a +10 of a wep?

All they have to do is if it's hh90, or something like that, only...then all you have to do is get 2 of the wep, put them both on your skillbar and switch between them. Nobody would ever know, since they both have the same skin and refining makes no difference to looks.

we had that prob be4 thats why we used npc gear as it provides alot more steady damage you will see if a perosn uses +5 or +10 wep we did it with +0 gear jsut from the npc
    100% F2P legit 105 since starting this game. Full rank9 jaded +12 seeker. .tinyurl.com/nocashshopHaters gona hate cuz they cant play a game
  • devotion
    edited November 2011
    Just keep in mind that most classes have skills that will one shot any other class.

Ex: Archer Charged Blast / Deadly Shot will one shot any arcane non crit. Wizard BIDS will one shot any class.

Remember the era when people used to actually have to do certain things to survive in pvp? Like when an archer charged a 3+ second cast skill you actually had to run or seal him? Last I checked proper pvp was when there were weaknesses to every class that couldn't just be covered up by cash shopping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    There was never a time where an archer could one shot an arcane non crit when the gear was the same, just by using one skill without anything else.
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    I edited the first post with a summary of the different suggestions people came up with in the thread.
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • devotion
    edited November 2011
    There was never a time where an archer could one shot an arcane non crit when the gear was the same, just by using one skill without anything else.

The high end of an HH90 crossbow hits pretty hard. I remember I one shot an RQ cleric with a 4.5k non crit deadly shot. I still have the ss somewhere.. I'll have to find it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    4.5k? That bow must have been refined up a bit and-or the cleric had really bad gear. I mean..yea crossbows hit hard..but not that hard?
  • Risingson - Lost City
    edited November 2011
    I'm sure this idea in particular can make you nostalgic and can make you want to talk about old times, but it's not really the subject.

Please stick to discussins the suggestion and what not without drifting away too much D:
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • Trelmanor - Lost City
    Trelmanor - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    Day after day, I'm more confused
    Yet I look for the light through the pourin' rain
    You know that's a game that I hate to loose
    And I'm feelin' the strain
    Ain't it a shame

Oh, give me the beat boys and free my soul
    I wanna get lost in your rock n roll