Whatever happened to the compensation for PWI resetting passwords

kondors
kondors Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
When the last double drops event started, lots of people had their passwords reset by PWI and the issue took well over a week to resolve and for many people , a good deal longer that.

There WAS a massive thread concerning this matter for a long time and during the thread I asked a question of Frankie regarding compensating people for their loss at PWI's hands.

The response from Frankie at the times was along the lines of.. lets see the extent of the problem and try to resolve it first, but yes we will work out some compensation for those affected. Well... here were some time after the double drops event has finished.

No compensation, no news of any compensation, the thread has been removed, and not a single word from Frankie.

I would like to think that I wasnt lied to about this matter, but the evidence at the moment is all to the contrary.

You have had plenty of time to sort this out Frankie.. what are you offering the people that got screwed over? When will they get it? Why have you not communicated anything to let people know what, if anything is going to be done?

Courtesy if nothing else to make some sort of announcement. Please do and stick to what you said.
Post edited by kondors on

Comments

• Marid - Dreamweaver
    Marid - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    good point o.o;
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited October 2011
    well 2x in September was extended an extra week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kondors
    edited October 2011
    The one week extension of 2x ?? Correct me if I am wrong but that was applicable to ALL players, not exclusive to the people who were prevented from using their accounts.

That is the lamest excuse for a respnse I have encountered in a long time.. but in honestly it is at least a response.. more than there is from Frankie.. if indeed he is employed any longer.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Still waiting on that new DQ rewards item to hit. Watch that be the compensation...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • kondors
    edited October 2011
    Ah the DQ item to replace the rep they removed due to non CS players being able to actually achieve rank you mean?

You are probaly not far from the mark Know, but I assume the DQ item will be available to ALL players..

There is a specific group of players who unjustly had their access to their accounts removed on a whim. These are the pople Frankie promised to compensate... Naiive of me I know , but I thought he meant THIS year.

Still waiting for a defined list of GM's their hours of work and a working and accesible means of communication with them to be published too.

Currently we have not been even informed as to how many GM's there are. The whole shrouding it in secrecy thing is getting old. They are supposed to provide assistance and support to customers, not just to go round beating people with big sticks for cursing or bsnning people for using the game in the way thats it been designed.

Seems to me that the ONLY thing GM's ever do is ban people... no wonder they dont want people to know who they are, heaven forbid that someone may actually need some valid help on one fo the servers... whatever next.

Oh yes... and Frankie, I am entirely dissatisfied with the service you provide, I want to speak with your superior.. please supply me with contact details.. It is a perfectly reasonable request considering that you are unwilling / unable to meet customers requirements.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there was a growing a list of people who would like to have their complaints addressed by your boss.

Thank you in advance for your prompt response.
    edited October 2011
    kondors wrote: »
    The one week extension of 2x ?? Correct me if I am wrong but that was applicable to ALL players, not exclusive to the people who were prevented from using their accounts.

That is the lamest excuse for a respnse I have encountered in a long time.. but in honestly it is at least a response.. more than there is from Frankie.. if indeed he is employed any longer.

actually, that is exactly the type of thing that they would call compensation for it. It's much easier to just gift something to everyone than to just hand out items to individuals. which would you rather do, select an individual item and send it to 3,000 people one by one, or take something like 2x and extend it a week?

They mostly targeted accounts that were being logged into from multiple IP addresses. This put an abrupt stop to many that were sharing their accounts, (a violation of the ToS), or those who had been "****". (Usually by friends that they had shared their account info with, or because their security was poor enough that their friends could figure it out.)

In fact, the only ones that were severely affected by it were those that had already lost their e-mail accounts due to lack of personal security, have long forgotten what e-mail they used to register, or don't have access to their parents e-mail.

Also, frankie still works here, but they've been pretty busy lately with the gold seller bots and people falling for stupid things that makes their accounts get "****". It's been hard to get any kind of response from a GM in the forum because they're too busy to waste their time here. They aren't even manning the live chat support they are so busy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kondors
    edited October 2011
    Thank you for your speculation and guesswork, or are you in some way employed as a moderator perhaps but inclined to not mention it?

If you have official information regarding what is being done, please state your position and authority to make these claims, otherwise you are just fuelling speculation.

This again comes back to prioritising things in favour of the CUSTOMER.. quaint old word I know , much maligned, mostly ignored, and with no recourse to customer service.

Let me just say that people's IP address changes for many many reasons, change of address (geographical), change of ISP, change of hardware to name but a few.
    But given that they were able to very quickly and automatically reset the passwords of the people that you assume, repeat ASSUME, were targeted due to use of multiple IP addresses, then YES i expect individual compensation which is really really simple to implement in the same way that the resets were initiated.
    You also state that people are really really busy sorting out gold spamming bots.. well ok.. but from a customer perspective... does this impact severely on my game play or ability to access my account and events etc?
    Of course it doesnt, it is at worst a very minor inconvenience and guess what??
    I dont HAVE to read WC... end of problem.. or i can BL some of them..
    The ONLYY reason that this is being prioritised so highly.. (IF your speculation is correct in the first place), is that it might impact on the revenue that PWI receives.
    It is so transparent and sickening. Possibly employeees are indeed snowed under dealing with this, and it isnt their fault at all that customer concerns remain unanswered.
    That would be the fault of the idiot who prioritised above customer requirements to have it worked on so fervently.

Whilst this is your guess currently as to why things are not done for customers, bear in mind that there was not this influx of spam bots at the time of the resets, so while it may buy some time in dealing with matters at this particularl time.. it doesnt justify the same lack of service at all times previously.

Things will always take time to resolve, some things may take a very long time.. all of this is common sense, but lets have a defined customer service policy, named customer service reps, guaranteed response times, and published contact methods and hours of service.

Until that happens your speculation and defence of a non existent service is pathetic, unsubsantiated and serves only to prove that yet again, the only response to be found is from other players who claim to mystically be in 'the know'.

If you work for them.. have the decency and guts to say so.. otherwise please stop the guesswork.. thanks.
  • Sanna - Momaganon
    Sanna - Momaganon Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    They have changed my password 3 times without letting me know about it. Getting really tired about it. They also banned me with that random ban they keep handing out saying my account was logged from a banned region. They said an evil network had gotten control of my account but it was a lie from the person at customer support. Noone other than me have ever had access to my account and it has only been logged in from the same computer in the same appartment for the 2 years and 10 months ive been playing.

To me it is the lies and excuses and false promises that is making me upset. Everyone makes mistakes but the lies are done on purpose and the false promises of compensation that they use to try and make people less upset only to never give the compensations.

So please stop changing my password. It is making me feel very unsafe and makes me think pwi have no idea what they are doing.

Also please stop banning people randomly with that auto ban function. It is clearly not working.

In the meantime i have been reporting people in game that have broken rules of wich pwi states they will ban people for but all of those cases have been ignored even with screenshoots showing perfect proof.
    edited October 2011
    kondors wrote: »
    Thank you for your speculation and guesswork, or are you in some way employed as a moderator perhaps but inclined to not mention it?

If you have official information regarding what is being done, please state your position and authority to make these claims, otherwise you are just fuelling speculation.

No, I am in no way a moderator or GM for PWE. Although I have done GM work for other games and understand the view of the company. Which is where I am basing my speculation from.

I am also taking into account the way PWE has handled several similar issues in the past. They'll give us something for compensation, but only sometimes take the time to tell us about it. It would be nice if frankieraye or another GM would chime in here, but lately I can't even get them to respond to PM's. Hell the only way I got them to look at the ticket for my veno after it sat for a month and a half was to spam the fourms. Sure, that account got a 24-hour ban from the forums, but it freaking got their attention enough that they finally fixed my ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kondors
    edited October 2011
    I feel your pain Sylen, and I can see where your speculation comes from and yes your experience makes it a more valid speculation.
    Mine is in operations director posts and primarily in service industry, so I am in a position to comment knowledgably regarding customer service.

It is a crying shame that someone who otherwise be a model customer has to resort to getting themselves banned in order to have a valid query addressed. This then further chokes the system with BS.

Obviously it is more important to any customer for customer service personnel address their issues, rather than have the employees concetrate all their oefforts on banning and punishing people for minor breaches of ToS.

Regarding the ToS incidentally... it is also customary to have whats known as a SLA or service level agreement, with customers. This embraces the ToS but further guarantees a certain level of service for those customers who comply with the ToS.

In other words, if I, as a customer agree to abide by the Company's terms, what do the Company agree to provide in return?
    This should include a defined, timed, query response and resolution service, embracing contact details and methods, agreed turn round times on valid queries, and agreed penalties (compensation) for customers who abided by their side of the agreement but failed to get the agreed support.

There is a two way street here.. you want customers to behave in certain ways, then for gods sake, you must behave in a certain way in return.

The ToS must explain in detail what the "service" element of that is.
    If you are going to 'punish' and penalise people for breach of ToS, then you must compensate people and seek to minimise your own failings and shortcomings in providing the 'service'

Try starting by employing someone who is qualified, experienced and enthusiastic about customer service... maybe Frankie for one would learn a thing or two then.
    edited October 2011
    Exactly. Unfortunately, the ToS is written in a way that pretty much allows them to do whatever they want, including banning you for no apparent reason, and states that they are not required to compensate us, and are not even liable for anything that might or might not occur.

As for employing someone qualified, experienced, and enthusiastic, I've applied several times. They don't even bother of giving me the courtesy of a response. They could really benefit from hiring more GM's. Especially people that are as enthusiastic about helping people as I usually am. From all outward appearances of their financial statements, they could well afford it also, yet all we see is the increasing decline in the quality and level of customer service that they provide.

I hear you, it would be really nice to hear what the compensation is. Not only for the random password changes, but also for the numerous automatic bans that have been happening lately to individuals that aren't even doing anything wrong. Unfortunately, the way things have been around here the past several months, you're better off not holding your breath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    well 2x in September was extended an extra week.

That was the promised compensation for something else (the DDOS attacks I believe).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
    edited October 2011
    That was the promised compensation for something else (the DDOS attacks I believe).

Actually they never stated what it was for, just "hey, we're extending it".
    As far as I know, they never fully compensated us for two DDoS attacks, nor the recent issue with the password changes. At least, they haven't attributed anything to those things. At this point it's almost a juggling act just to figure out what it is that they've stated they are going to do, and what they have or haven't done.

They did say that they would just tack a few extra days onto a weekend 2x event or something similar to finalize the compensation for the DDoS. (freankieraye said that but I'm too lazy atm to go searching for the quote.) They never have said yet though that they have applied it. My stating that the extension of the September 2x as being the final bit on compensation for that is mere speculation. No advocate of PWE ever stated that it was compensation for anything to my knowledge.

Edit: In fact, we should be compensated for the Secret Passage ****, the DDoS attacks, the failure of GM's to actively monitor the servers like they used to in an effort to prevent the gold site scammers, for the mass password changes, for the mass fake bans, and while I'm at it, for the total lack of the support community at being able to actually provide appropriate support.
    But like I said, there's the loophole in the ToS, they don't have to give us jack ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kondors
    edited October 2011
    To be honest, it is no surprise (though entirely unacceptable) that they make no official statement saying that this or that event or extension is compensation for this or that failing.

We have now reached a point where they publicise for example, a rep sale, which initially if my memory serves, stated that this was for a 3 week period, but has now been modified so that no end date is even mentioned.

I note too from the forums that a growing number of people have asked when various sales etc are ending. As far as i know , no one has had the decency to respond to the genuine and valid questions.

There is no official response to anything any more... Frankie is probably seeking employment elsewhere since he doesn't appear to be working here any longer.
    Since he was the ONLY one from the company to communicate with the customer base in any semi valid way... seems that the rats have left the sinking ship.

They have already lost untold income by **** over European customers unjustifiably with nothing to back up or substantiate what they have done. Soon I guess they will sufficiently upset their American customers too... well at least they can then claim to be truly International by having screwed people world wide.

Never mind, I am sure Frankie and his co horts will have earned a nice golden handshake for having successfully held off the angry masses for a period of time.
    edited October 2011
    Sales with no end date and a response to the 3-week rep sale.
    He does state that the original 3-week date was incorrect and explains their new tactics with the sales.

Countries with VAT fees - Change in ZEN Charge Policy
    It is clearly explained that it was not PWE's decision to make that change.

Septembers 2x extension.
    Even reading his post a couple of times I am uncertain as to whether he is considering it as compensation or not.

Pretty much anything else is "We're looking into it".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kondors
    edited October 2011
    Sales with no end date and a response to the 3-week rep sale.
    He does state that the original 3-week date was incorrect and explains their new tactics with the sales.

Countries with VAT fees - Change in ZEN Charge Policy
    It is clearly explained that it was not PWE's decision to make that change.

Septembers 2x extension.
    Even reading his post a couple of times I am uncertain as to whether he is considering it as compensation or not.

Pretty much anything else is "We're looking into it".

The 'new sales strategy' is not respnding to customer requirements
    Things are changed on a whim without thought, reference or consultation with the customers. Disgusting, inadequate, incompetent.
    May as well just say..."**** you customer, the company love it"

The explanation of the Euro charging and price hike is blatantly uninformed and wrong, to fob it off on a European authority is nonsense... bear in mind please... I now have to pay not in my OWN currency but in Euros.. this IS purely down to PWI.
    This has nothing to do with the EU and I have yet to see anything that proves in any way whatever that this tax is indeed applicable or even being charged or paid by PWI.
    Even IF all of that were correct... VAT is capped at 20%... doesnt in any way explain the huge price increase we now see.. 50 zen used to be
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Frankie stated pretty clearly that the last 10 days of 2x were compensation for the DDoS attacks. I'll poke him to see what's going on with the password reset compensation, or if there is any planned.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Everything that is not currently in the game is in the "soon" category. Where "soon" means "sometime in the future that is not right now".
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • konuk
    konuk Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    So... here we are again... three days further on after KrittyKat stated they would find out what was happening on this from Frankie...

So how did that go KrittyKat?

Must have missed the announcement... maybe I missed Frankie having the decency to answer on it himself, considering it was he who originally said he would do something about this.

Do we have to go and find the quotation from Frankie from weeks and weeks ago where he said so? Maybe the poor guy has terminal customer amnesia.

Cant help wondering how many times people have been told that things will be addressed, only to find out that they dont get addressed?

A person is only as good as their word...
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited October 2011

uhhhh we had 2X that WEEKEND (or week) right after the DDOS attack in the spring for those DDOS attacks...... This entire month of 2X had nothing to do with that lol
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Frankie stated pretty clearly that the last 10 days of 2x were compensation for the DDoS attacks. I'll poke him to see what's going on with the password reset compensation, or if there is any planned.

eh? when he say that? i clearly remember the last DDOS in the spring, then gettign 2X for the weekend or week FOR THAT ATTACK...

In fact.... THE ONLY THING i read on here about the extended month long 2X was that SOME peopele got emails sayign it was extended. I dind't, but i never read a damn thing on here about the extension........ hell i even made a thread (or posted in one already) askign it it was really extended or if this was b.s. about the emails. no response.. lol

Edit: actually there was a response in that thread, jsut remembred. the only thing frankie said was "confirmed" as in yes the emails werent' b.s.
  • RosangeIa - Heavens Tear
    RosangeIa - Heavens Tear Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Y'know I can't help but feel bad for Frankie though lol. :( People tend to blame the poor guy for these things but he can only do so much within his bounds.

Honestly I wouldn't mind filling a GM spot either, or yknow doing something else. Maybe help the situation the game is in currently at least by monitoring server activity like World Chat and stuff like that. Clearly however, they don't really give a damn since they used to have active GMs in game, who even chatted with us and was actively giving support to players... I just wonder if it's a part of their budget they decided to cut massively or turn a blind eye to.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near LA, California (if I remember right is where their NA offices are).

But anyway... sucks about the password resets. I know a few people who lost accounts because of it, and they don't or can't remember their emails for those accounts in order to reset them... of course part of that falls on the customer having not kept proper track of their email addresses, but even so. PWE did it without any prior warning... which is unacceptable in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here since October 2008 ;)

Check out my Art Corner:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1212861
  • krittycat
    edited October 2011
    eh? when he say that? i clearly remember the last DDOS in the spring, then gettign 2X for the weekend or week FOR THAT ATTACK...

In fact.... THE ONLY THING i read on here about the extended month long 2X was that SOME peopele got emails sayign it was extended. I dind't, but i never read a damn thing on here about the extension........ hell i even made a thread (or posted in one already) askign it it was really extended or if this was b.s. about the emails. no response.. lol

Edit: actually there was a response in that thread, jsut remembred. the only thing frankie said was "confirmed" as in yes the emails werent' b.s.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14832571#post14832571

It was in the link that Sylen posted.
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    ok so they gave us 2X on the weekend (or the whole week i dun remember) after the attack in the spring.. then did it AGAIN this past 2X? lmao ok........ well thnx.... XD
  • krittycat
    edited October 2011
    ok so they gave us 2X on the weekend (or the whole week i dun remember) after the attack in the spring.. then did it AGAIN this past 2X? lmao ok........ well thnx.... XD

What happened was, during the added 2x in the spring, the DDoS attacks were still ongoing, and players still had issues with a lot of lag and disconnections. PWE acknowledged the fact that the DDoS attacks were ongoing, and promised further compensation. That means, if you had no issues during the original compensation, you got doubly compensated. Congrats!b:chuckle
  • konuk
    edited October 2011

But anyway... sucks about the password resets. I know a few people who lost accounts because of it, and they don't or can't remember their emails for those accounts in order to reset them... of course part of that falls on the customer having not kept proper track of their email addresses, but even so. PWE did it without any prior warning... which is unacceptable in my opinion.

In some cases, there is not part of it which falls on the customer though.

In the beginning, I created one PWI account which I registered to my (web based) activley used email address.
    Later I created a second PWI account for more chars, perfectly within my rights to do so and now I can also multiclient and operate both accounts together if i choose.
    Problem is though, PWI will not let me register my second account to my active email address.
    Ok, no problem, I go and create a second email account specifically for this account. Once again I have the foresight to use web based email ( only yourself to blame for using isp email addresses was the comment on this from someone since you may change isp).
    So anyway all is fine for a while then the reset happens some 12 months down the line.
    Not a problen, or so I thought, because I knew the email address AND its password.

Ah... but hotmail, along with several other web based email providers, will delete your account if it is not accessed for a period of time. It wasnt my main email account and was only created because PWI basically made me.

So, while I am trying to resolve this, at this point a tiny amount of the onus still falls on me for not accessing the account enough... not that I had any reason to, but still.

Not to be outdone, i get hold of hotmail and eventually they tell me.. ohh its easily resolved.
    The account was deleted so it doesnt exist. Just go back to hotmail and create it again.
    Awesome... so that is what I did.
    Feeling pleased with myself I sent a few test emails to the account to make sure all was in order and it worked fine!! yayyy.

Ah... then comes the problem. Not one single email from PWI to this email account ever arrives. No matter what is done or how we try it... they just dont arrive.

So.. I have to go and create a third , new email account.. go through a "proving who I am" process with PWI, do a "change of email address" process with PWI and eventually get my password reset information.

Sorry but as far as I am concerned, ALL the fault lies squarely at PWI's door on this one.

You could avoid anyone ever having issues ever again with one plain and simple adjustment, tho this would require a very small amount of work on your part.. so that very likely rules out the possibility of getting it done.

All you have to do is allow more than one account to be registered to the same email address, simple!!!
    After all.. you have already gone through the process of verifying it is a vlaid email address with the original account activation system.. do it again for the new account if you are too idle to make a change for second / subsequent accounts.

A simple solution to make life easier for both customers and company alike.

****... that looks suspiciously like a huge reason why it wont ever happen.
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2011
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    What happened was, during the added 2x in the spring, the DDoS attacks were still ongoing, and players still had issues with a lot of lag and disconnections. PWE acknowledged the fact that the DDoS attacks were ongoing, and promised further compensation. That means, if you had no issues during the original compensation, you got doubly compensated. Congrats!b:chuckle

lol coulda sworn that attack only lasted half a DAY...... all of HT got back on by that night from the looks of WC..... bah w/e lmao
    konuk wrote: »

In the beginning, I created one PWI account which I registered to my (web based) activley used email address.
    Later I created a second PWI account for more chars, perfectly within my rights to do so and now I can also multiclient and operate both accounts together if i choose.
    Problem is though, PWI will not let me register my second account to my active email address.
    Ok, no problem, I go and create a second email account specifically for this account. Once again I have the foresight to use web based email ( only yourself to blame for using isp email addresses was the comment on this from someone since you may change isp).
    So anyway all is fine for a while then the reset happens some 12 months down the line.
    Not a problen, or so I thought, because I knew the email address AND its password.

Ah... but hotmail, along with several other web based email providers, will delete your account if it is not accessed for a period of time. It wasnt my main email account and was only created because PWI basically made me.

So, while I am trying to resolve this, at this point a tiny amount of the onus still falls on me for not accessing the account enough... not that I had any reason to, but still.

Not to be outdone, i get hold of hotmail and eventually they tell me.. ohh its easily resolved.
    The account was deleted so it doesnt exist. Just go back to hotmail and create it again.
    Feeling pleased with myself I sent a few test emails to the account to make sure all was in order and it worked fine!! yayyy.

Ah... then comes the problem. Not one single email from PWI to this email account ever arrives. No matter what is done or how we try it... they just dont arrive.

So.. I have to go and create a third , new email account.. go through a "proving who I am" process with PWI, do a "change of email address" process with PWI and eventually get my password reset information.

Sorry but as far as I am concerned, ALL the fault lies squarely at PWI's door on this one.

You could avoid anyone ever having issues ever again with one plain and simple adjustment, tho this would require a very small amount of work on your part.. so that very likely rules out the possibility of getting it done.

All you have to do is allow more than one account to be registered to the same email address, simple!!!
    After all.. you have already gone through the process of verifying it is a vlaid email address with the original account activation system.. do it again for the new account if you are too idle to make a change for second / subsequent accounts.

jesus christ dude, i agree with ya usually but i'm not even bothering to read yours or kondor's posts anymore... stop writing entire books lmao!
  • krittycat
    edited October 2011

One possibility for why they won't allow users to register more than one account to an e-mail address is their database not being set up for that. If you think about it, how many accounts do you think have already been made on PWI? Okay, now think about how much their database would have to change if they added this ability. The cost of manpower for such a revolutionary change alone would be astronomical, and the time lost while they retool accounts (which means accounts would be inaccessible) would be huge. Their best option is just to roll with it now, because to go back and change all of the past accounts would be inefficient and not cost-effective.
  • konuk
    edited October 2011
    If you want to talk about whats cost effective, lets cut to the chase and how about not resetting passwords without a valid request from the customer?

Your argument for resisting change falls short. The cost of changing the system is compensated for by not expending WEEKS on resolving all the problems caused by resetting passwords.

Prevention is better than cure.. bite the bullet and pay now to correct what is clearly going to cause issues. There will be one small subroutine of code that checks for valid email addresses, just remove the line that checks if that address is already registered. You make it sound like the manhattan project lmao.

Alason, i hear what you are saying, but if i dont coever all aspects and eventualities, someone will come along and say... ahh but what about this or that. Trying to remove or minimise those.. sorry for the war and peace entries :)
  • krittycat
    edited October 2011
    If you want to talk about whats cost effective, lets cut to the chase and how about not resetting passwords without a valid request from the customer?

Your argument for resisting change falls short. The cost of changing the system is compensated for by not expending WEEKS on resolving all the problems caused by resetting passwords.

Prevention is better than cure.. bite the bullet and pay now to correct what is clearly going to cause issues. There will be one small subroutine of code that checks for valid email addresses, just remove the line that checks if that address is already registered. You make it sound like the manhattan project lmao.

Alason, i hear what you are saying, but if i dont coever all aspects and eventualities, someone will come along and say... ahh but what about this or that. Trying to remove or minimise those.. sorry for the war and peace entries :)

That password reset was something they did because of possibly compromised security. Would you rather have logged on to find out your account had been stripped completely of anything and everything you worked hard to get? PWE did what they thought was right based on the information that they had, and it just so happened that it caused problems for some people.

EDIT: If you recall, SOE had the same issue earlier this year, and they did the exact same thing. They reset passwords, and when you logged in (using alternate identification), you had to change it. This isn't an uncommon practice in the gaming industry, or in online business.
This discussion has been closed.