I got ****!!!!

demonlo
demonlo Posts: 1 Arc User
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
hey every1
i stoped playin for like a month and i loged on my account n my chars were gona i had lots of cs stuffn im really mad so if a gm could give me my chars n cs stuff back i serly be happy
Post edited by demonlo on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    That's why you don't give your buddies your account info or have something they could figure out.

Also, read this...

just FYI, no one gets "****" look it up.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • SpeedLord - Archosaur
    SpeedLord - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    i didnt give any of my account info away
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    edited September 2011
    ... or have something they could figure out.
    i didnt give any of my account info away

Seriously, you don't get ****. You either compromise yourself or it doesn't happen.

And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • SpeedLord - Archosaur
    SpeedLord - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    wat ever then
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    edited September 2011
    Did you read the recently stickied thread I put the link in for?

That's one way.

Another is downloading cheats and stuff that put keyloggers on your system. Then the person that wrote the virus gets your info and takes your stuff.

Yet another way is that you use the same password and ID for everything else, someone you know knows it, figured they would try it here and took your stuff.

OR, they just know you well enough to guess within a few tries because what you do have isn't hard to figure out.

All of those are pretty common. None of them are hacking, they all have the same result.

Better security means your stuff is safe.

And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited September 2011
    If your characters are gone, are you sure you selected the correct server?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • armsrace
    armsrace Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Anyone want to bet that he logged onto a different server than his main account (i.e. heaven's tear instead of archosaur) b:bye
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    armsrace wrote: »
    Anyone want to bet that he logged onto a different server than his main account (i.e. heaven's tear instead of archosaur) b:bye
    I thought the exact same thing, if the chars are all gone.
  • Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    That's why you don't give your buddies your account info or have something they could figure out.

Also, read this...

Since you seem to like pretending that you're an expert on this subject, please explain to us how people that use strong passwords and don't use RMT siervices or share their accounts end up with compromised accounts.

I'm dying to hear this! b:chuckle
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Since you seem to like pretending that you're an expert on this subject, please explain to us how people that use strong passwords and don't use RMT siervices or share their accounts end up with compromised accounts.

Random ID/password guessing, a cousin of mine was bored and actually tried it at one point, ironicly, he found an account, shamefully it was just a newbie account with lowbie ****, but yea, random guessing actually pays off, apparantly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2011

I am no expert....but the reasoning I fail to understand is......if someone can get your password/login, really...why do they care about your PWI account? Paypal, bank logins, emails, and a host of other things would be better to '****' into.
    Why go to so much trouble to **** someones MMO account? and a free-to-play PWI one at that.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    edited September 2011

I dare you to come up with one bona-fide case where this has happened. Someone with real security, a class 7+ password, multiple login information across accounts along with multiple passwords.

For their account to be compromised it would take someone hacking directly into the server databases. Which are on the other side of a dual-encrypted 256-bit stream, past a series of hardware firewalls, past layers of further encrypted passcode security, and then to hang around long enough without getting caught to be able to locate, **** into, and download the data.

It's just not feasable. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we're talking about something that you would have better chances at playing the lottery in your state.

That's why Hacking, especially on the small scale where it only happens to a few people like what you are describing, doesn't happen. When real hacking happens, you see things like the Sony network being shut down for almost a month while they figure out how the hell it happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. And it still took them almost 10 years to pull it off.

EDIT: Their account could also be compromised on their end at their computer by someone they know that has access to their computer, or has access to were they keep their logins and passwords stored. Which still isn't hacking.

And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I dare you to come up with one bona-fide case where this has happened. Someone with real security, a class 7+ password, multiple login information across accounts along with multiple passwords.

For their account to be compromised it would take someone hacking directly into the server databases. Which are on the other side of a dual-encrypted 256-bit stream, past a series of hardware firewalls, past layers of further encrypted passcode security, and then to hang around long enough without getting caught to be able to locate, **** into, and download the data.

It's just not feasable. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we're talking about something that you would have better chances at playing the lottery in your state.

That's why Hacking, especially on the small scale where it only happens to a few people like what you are describing, doesn't happen. When real hacking happens, you see things like the Sony network being shut down for almost a month while they figure out how the hell it happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. And it still took them almost 10 years to pull it off.

EDIT: Their account could also be compromised on their end at their computer by someone they know that has access to their computer, or has access to were they keep their logins and passwords stored. Which still isn't hacking.

I can give you an example. ME but not on this game a certain Square Enix game. b:bye

Hacking DOES happen.

When I was **** I didn't go to any site that could possibly give a keylogger. I got **** and they changed my Password after they force logged me on that game. I went to a support that is well.... ALOT better then pwi's and they fixed it fast just needed my info and they changed my pw for me. well that didn't work they somehow got my pw again. and changed my info on me yet again. Again i changed it and they got my info and forced me out so then i decided to get a random key generator from them which you have to use every time you log in and that finally fixed the issue. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Esco, you have got to stop overusing that "wave" emote...
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2011

b:byeb:byeb:byeb:bye

what do you mean?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited September 2011

b:bye <
    make you cool, spam it b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2011

Security flaws on the company's side and I can assure you that it's not always on a huge scale like the Sony incident. It's not always as hard as you might think for hackers to gain access to things they shouldn't have access to.

A lot of people that play another MMO probably get a little twitchy and paranoid when this topic is brought up... and they have a very good reason to. A few of my friends were randomly hijacked, pillaged and then used as bots by RMT companies. Their passwords were changed and notification emails weren't even sent out to let them know. The only way one even knew they had been hijacked was because I saw them logged in on a character that they never really played and I found it odd enough to inquire about.

None of my friends used RMT websites. Hell, I doubt they even considered it. Not even one had a virus, trojan or keylogger on their PC. They ended up victims because of the company's incompetence. There were hundreds, possibly thousands, of others just like them.

I know someone from PWI that was **** this morning. I can't say with absolute certainty that they were super smart about their password, but I have a pretty good feeling that they aren't the password123 type. I'm pretty confident that they don't buy gold or anything else from RMT sites. If they do, they are the poorest cheater I've ever met. b:chuckle Hopefully support will be able tell them what happened since I'm kinda interested to find out as well. I hope for PWI's sake that their suspicions aren't true.

Majority of the time user error/stupidity is why people become victims. I was just like you until my friends found themselves hijacked because of a security flaw that the company refused to acknowledge or fix for some odd reason. Now I know that it's entirely possible to end up with a compromised account even if you're doing everything right on your side.

The best part about this is that the company I'm referring to isn't an amateur company! They have been in the game for a while now. They definitely have the funds to hire people that are capable of patching up problems that may put their customers at risk. As far as I know, nothing was ever really fixed and every few months a new batch of victims end up on fansites starting "I got ****" threads. (At least that was the case before I stopped playing several months ago. Maybe a miracle occurred and they finally fixed it during my absence.)

I'm not saying that's what's going on here in PW! Just giving an example to prove that it's not always the user's fault. Unless paying for a game and trusting that the company is going to take your account security seriously is considered a mistake...
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited September 2011

Also, read this...

FYI its called using **** programs to get the account, search it up and learn from it all of you.

How do I know? simple.....only idiots **** through other peoples accounts =/ and half of the people who are in this game are hackers.
  • Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_(computer_security)

Foxy_Fiona and Escorian, the long and short of what you said is basically that someone playing another MMO had their account information compromised in exactly the way that Allisandre described as actual hacking because that particular MMO had poor security. Many MMO's have had this issue over the past several years. Typically it was cheap little MMO's and a majority of them were browser based.

PWI, and larger MMO corporations similar to PWE, do not have this issue because of the many layers of security that they put in place.

How do I know? simple.....only idiots **** through other peoples accounts =/ and half of the people who are in this game are hackers.

What I think you're trying to say is that people get "****" by people they know. That is correct, it is also what Allisandre described above.

What should be said is that you people don't "get ****". The servers don't "get ****", so please for the love of god people, stop using this term when you simply had poor security that compromised your account.
  • Naime/ - Sanctuary
    Naime/ - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Only two other people know my account information.... but I know for a act that they'd never **** me.. be careul who you give your info out to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is like a pie...
    Sometimes you want to enjoy it, and other times you want to shove it into someone's face. -.-

I LOVE YOU ALLEN!!!! ^.^
  • Naime/ - Sanctuary
    Naime/ - Sanctuary Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    *fact
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is like a pie...
    Sometimes you want to enjoy it, and other times you want to shove it into someone's face. -.-

I LOVE YOU ALLEN!!!! ^.^
  • BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    BlubZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Only two other people know my account information.... but I know for a act that they'd never **** me.. be careul who you give your info out to.

and it wouldnt be hacking anyways just scamming :P
  • Aizza - Harshlands
    Aizza - Harshlands Posts: 719 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    demonlo wrote: »
    hey every1
    i stoped playin for like a month and i loged on my account n my chars were gona i had lots of cs stuffn im really mad so if a gm could give me my chars n cs stuff back i serly be happy

Are you sure you selected the correct server?
  • fairymaster1
    fairymaster1 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2011

its more feasable than you think, encrypted data streams between client and server have no relevance to breaking into a database server. that is to prevent snooping and such on the actual stream between user and server. all the passwords in the world will not stop a simple exploit or "glitch" so to speak in software and usualy not detected till its to late. what happened to sony was not hacking and did not take 10 years to do it. they found a weakness and exploited that to gain entry to other parts of the system. 99% of so called hacking in servers is not even hacking, it is just someone or people exploiting a flaw they found in X script to give them access by design it should not give. 7 length passwords are ok strong but with todays hardware and software can be broken quite quickly if only letters are used. its always good choice to use a combinaltion of letters numbers and symbols for a password. i have played several larger mmo's and online games as this and breaking into accounts happens, either by chance, breaking into the db or lending of user/pass. i have not met anyone that has been **** here, but i have seen it in other places that have so called "top enterprise" security.

oh well back to game have fun!
  • Tynice - Heavens Tear
    Tynice - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2011

Probaly give it away voluntarily..
    Some people probably use the same chit (email, password, heck, probably even user account name) for everything.. expecially that nice new shiny guild website they signed up for.
    b:chuckle

Bet that guild site admin can easily dig through a database and retrieve personal info..

SO
    Strong password - check
    No RMT service - check
    no shared account ingame -check
    Used all the same info for whatever PWI related site they signed up for b:dirty - check

Im willing to bet email, bank accounts, work logins, school logins, etc. etc. are volunteered easily by the user. People are stupid, its in our nature.
  • Krel - Heavens Tear
    Krel - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    i have done a study and realized alot of foreign people like to share accounts.Hell i dont even share my accounts with my ingame wife of 2 years NOR my RL wife.
    I luv my luvsalotb:dirty

Fear Me:I will and can unleash my true demon forum troll from at anytime..so beware.

Im A wizzie with godly looks and your all jealousb:bye
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    i have done a study and realized alot of foreign people like to share accounts.Hell i dont even share my accounts with my ingame wife of 2 years NOR my RL wife.

A study you say? Just how many people are subject to this study to justify such a sweeping statement?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2011

Foreign as in????

Xenophobic much?
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    A study you say? Just how many people are subject to this study to justify such a sweeping statement?

Clearly it was an industry-sponsored, double-blind study with extensive control groups that was stretched over the course of several years. He published his results too...
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Clearly it was an industry-sponsored, double-blind study with extensive control groups that was stretched over the course of several years. He published his results too...

I demand Mathematical Proof!

Do eet Decus! b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]