LA Mystic D:!

Nahla - Harshlands
Nahla - Harshlands Posts: 26 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Mystic
I can't decide at all between LA and AA for my mystic.

I can get r8 but high refines are out of the question (past +5).

Here's the builds i'm stuck between:

AA at 90: http://pwcalc.com/9f8bf28ed6226159
LA at 90: http://pwcalc.com/3237fb6d4874d6cd

AA gives a lot more attack and mdef, but LA has a huge boost in pdef and HP from LA.

:C I CANT DECIDE.
Post edited by Nahla - Harshlands on

Comments

• MrMelvin - Heavens Tear
    MrMelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Arcane. There's no competition really, heals are better and damage is better.
  • IAetius - Dreamweaver
    IAetius - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    AA is better. Trust me I made a few LA char's once that should have been AA. Mystics already have their shell which puts them ahead of others (besides wizzies of course) in the arcane armor. On top of that if you go LA you will notice the decrease in your heals/ attacks.

In my opinion LA is one of the worst armors in game. You will even hear archers complain about how bad LA is. Not that I mean it to any offense to anyone out there who is, but AA can get you a lot further as a mystic because of your shell.

I know most only care about their phy def but you must also consider your magic defense as well. If you go LA your water + wood buff will be less effective which is never a good thing. The best way to optimize your char would really be to just stick to AA.

But hey if you have the money it wouldn't hurt to try out both sides I guess and just get a reset note after you are done. b:chuckle
    TY for my shiney new R9 PWE b:chuckle

iAetius - Sage- Mystic-
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    LA used to be common build for magic casters on PVP servers, however, pretty much everyone has succumbed to cookie-cutter one-shot "pure" builds. It would be a waste to go LA nowadays when you could always just use phys def orns and attain dev lvls.
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    Barunaa - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    why do ppl want to **** there damage so much as a arcane class just for slightly better defense? LA sucks even for dex based classes like sins and archers......
  • Nine_Lives - Raging Tide
    Nine_Lives - Raging Tide Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    no...just no LA, especially for mana hogging mysts.

Why are you going to shoot yourself in the foot for better def when you already have some of the best self defense skills in the game?

Your lifeblood is your mana, dont cut it off for lousy LA...go pure.

Unless you're a veno like me and can get away with LA SLIGHTLY....b:shutup
  • mecatl33
    mecatl33 Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I went LA and I don't regret it. My mystic is lvl 83 and I've had no problems soloing my quests and stuff. I did my own 20x3 in FB69 and been soloing TT 1-1,1-2 since the mid 60's. I just use my Chihyu to attack everything so I don't really have to worry about magic defense loss that much. Besides I put on a some elemental gear pieces so that helps. I do more DDing than playing as a wannabe cleric. Even with lower magic and MP I can still sometimes play as a good healer in some squads and instances. Hell sometimes I can be a better cleric with my LA mystic lol! It's just how play your character and the gear you have. So yeah LA mystics can kick ***. b:pleased
  • Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    Kagizyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Cough, ahem.

I don't like LA or any other build other than pure on my mystic, I WOULD NOT be able to solo heal pole/nob/frag, if i was any other build that screws over my over all damage. I know vital mystics that can't heal as much as me and they said they went vital for TT soloing... I'm like lololol.... Your pet tanks not you, and you dont benefit much when you cant heal your summon enough.

Another build some mystics went, vital with mp shards, yeah same hp as me, same mana, fail damage.

A last build, LA... same damage as vital, low damage but with increased crit and pdef... and this is good, more PvE wise since you can tank physical damage better.... but in PvP your a one shot to mystics AS, an arcanes damage, an arma, a zerk crit. Its not that viable end game, i have LA clerics and wizzies tell me at 100 they wish they were AA just for better heals and damage.

But if you can't kill your target, your dead no matter what your armor is.
  • IKnuke - Harshlands
    IKnuke - Harshlands Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Arcane Mystics are better...
    LA:
    1.) No good healing - Bai from squads.
    2.) Low damage - You cant deal high damage. (you gonna stay squishy anyway, look at your Phys Def its only +1000...)
    I would never support anything but AA for casters really. (Maybe for a veno)
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Arcane Mystics...
    1.) No good healing - Bai from squads.
    2.) Low damage - You cant deal high damage. (you gonna stay squishy anyway, look at your Phys Def its only +1000...)
    I would never support anything but AA for casters really. (Maybe for a veno)

I geus you meant LA Mystics, not Arcane
  • IKnuke - Harshlands
    edited August 2011
    I geus you meant LA Mystics, not Arcane

Yea i didnt say it right.
    I prefer Arcane Mystics...
    Then i said bad things about LA:...
    *Fixed*
  • VoItaire - Harshlands
    VoItaire - Harshlands Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    mecatl33 wrote: »
    I went LA and I don't regret it. My mystic is lvl 83 and I've had no problems soloing my quests and stuff. I did my own 20x3 in FB69 and been soloing TT 1-1,1-2 since the mid 60's. I just use my Chihyu to attack everything so I don't really have to worry about magic defense loss that much. Besides I put on a some elemental gear pieces so that helps. I do more DDing than playing as a wannabe cleric. Even with lower magic and MP I can still sometimes play as a good healer in some squads and instances. Hell sometimes I can be a better cleric with my LA mystic lol! It's just how play your character and the gear you have. So yeah LA mystics can kick ***. b:pleased

Well, if you just use your devil to attack everything so you don't have to worry about your defenses that much why not just go pure? ~_~

The things I have against LA mystics is that they sacrifice a lot of dmg and healing power for... extra pdef that can be attained elsewhere(ornaments and shards), and I guess extra crit rate, which is really sucky for mystics anyway seeing as how some some of our largest sources for dmg can't crit and we have a pretty strong crit buff anyway :b

But a big reason to go pure is also to have a larger mana pool and mana regen, which also helps you get more mana from clear thoughts. Idk, I can't really see any reason at all to go LA so if anyone could attempt to provide a clear argument as to why, it would be pretty interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mecatl33
    edited August 2011
    First mystic I made was arcane/pure. I leveled it to level 25. I noticed I spam healed my Chihyu alot. I just felt really squishy. So I re-rolled as light armor and I noticed that I didn't have to spam heal my Chihyu as much. So early on I was able to take on alot more mobs at a time. Now for those of you who play mystic as a wannabe cleric of course light armor would suck but mystics aren't clerics. We're suppose to be able to heal, DD, debuff. A little bit of everything. I can still do all those things with LA and mana isn't a issue for me. I'm not gonna slam arcane builds. If I wanted to play as a healer only on my mystic I would go arcane. This class is pretty cool that you can go either way, healer or DD or even both. Also I got no problems getting into random squads for whatever.
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011

you dont have regret because u are in denial. you trying to bring up all these BS reasons to keep urself sane from realizing the fact that u ****ed up.

if you use ur pet to tank everything then the P def u get from LA is virtually useless and all those stats went to waste. you can go pure magic and still tank with your pet and not take damage, you do realize that dont u? and if u ever did get in a situation where u need to tank then try using salvation or energy leeching salvation or chiyu? seriously, ppl that go LA on a arcane class come up with the most facepalm reasons to go LA.
  • mecatl33
    edited August 2011
    you dont have regret because u are in denial. you trying to bring up all these BS reasons to keep urself sane from realizing the fact that u ****ed up.

if you use ur pet to tank everything then the P def u get from LA is virtually useless and all those stats went to waste. you can go pure magic and still tank with your pet and not take damage, you do realize that dont u? and if u ever did get in a situation where u need to tank then try using salvation or energy leeching salvation or chiyu? seriously, ppl that go LA on a arcane class come up with the most facepalm reasons to go LA.

I was waiting for someone like you to get all butt hurt about my build. Hey bro listen this build works for me. I can still play wannabe cleric just like you. Don't hate. You can still play the cleric if another LA mystic joins your squad. I'm not the only LA mystic on HT btw. There's even a HA mystic somewhere on another server. b:chuckle
  • Auryalis - Heavens Tear
    Auryalis - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I was waiting for someone like you to get all butt hurt about my build. Hey bro listen this build works for me. I can still play wannabe cleric just like you. Don't hate. You can still play the cleric if another LA mystic joins your squad. I'm not the only LA mystic on HT btw. There's even a HA mystic somewhere on another server. b:chuckle

Well said! I have an 86 Mystic/Pure but i agree with mecat. Each to their own! Depends on how u wanna use ur char. Its not up to everyone else to say whether ur build is wrong or not. There is no rules saying what build a char should or shouldn't have..it all depends on the person playing it and what they want to use their char for. If u wanna color outside the lines..GO FOR IT! :D b:pleased
  • mecatl33
    edited August 2011
    Well said! I have an 86 Mystic/Pure but i agree with mecat. Each to their own! Depends on how u wanna use ur char. Its not up to everyone else to say whether ur build is wrong or not. There is no rules saying what build a char should or shouldn't have..it all depends on the person playing it and what they want to use their char for. If u wanna color outside the lines..GO FOR IT! :D b:pleased

Ty maam! Btw congrats on level 86 you sexy arcane mystic you. b:pleased
  • mryc
    mryc Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Ok so the reason some people want to do LA is because they don't like being squishy b:puzzled

But LA is as squishy as you can get, not good for p def or m def, and Crits don't matter as much for us as Absorb Soul can't crit, so if you want p def, why not just put more in str rather than even str and dex and wear heavy?

My Mystic doesn't seem to weak to me, I normaly send my pet to attack one monster wile I attack a different one to do quests twice as fast, glugging down mana potions as I go. My pet takes more damage than I do b:chuckle

I know Absorb Soul does double damage if done after Nature's Vengeance's effect, but im still a low level and the channelling time seems silly to do it that way. If it helps this is the combo I use and so far it kills everything, normaly before I get hit.

Absorb Soul, Nature's Vengeance, Nature's Vengeance.
    (doesn't work as an auto set macro, as it doesn't like two Nature's Vengeances next to each other)
  • IKnuke - Harshlands
    edited August 2011
    I wanna see those silly LA Mystics come and fight me...
    WTF is a wanna be cleric? If i can heal my squad and keep them alive you cant call me a wanna be.
    Now GTFO.
    edited August 2011
    WTF is a wanna be cleric? If i can heal my squad and keep them alive you cant call me a wanna be.
    Now GTFO.

+1

First and formost most classes see mysts are seen as healers first damage dealers 2nd...

I survived pole and nob clericless (TY ragequitting cleric who will remained unnamed or you will be hatemailed to death) thanks to a pure mag sage myst

Who's the wannabe now? It took effort from this myst to keep us all alive.

I also went and survived clericless FB Brim with also a really good Vit Mag Myst. Really made me believe with that one

If these mysts were LA I don't think they can hold up with such instances like this if they are the solo healers.

Just my 2 cents

A myst and his/her can survive as long as they have heals and a res buff.

Heals=lotsa mana

Res Buff= lots of mana

Do LA mysts have lots of mana? b:avoid
    edited August 2011

Yup I'm an LA in an arcane class...there's a reason why I have LA though.

I gots Melee (Foxform skill tree is almost all melee damage except for the debuffs)

I'm more confident amping pole and nob knowing that I can survive at least the initial AOE

But on the side of the mysts though, I myself don't get it. They have some of the best defense spells in the game. You don't get close to opponents to knock or debuff em out, you got pets and plants to do that. You got really nice heals though the mana cost is a bit heavy.

I don't get it...save your effort to go LA and go for AA pure or mag/vit

It will save you the headache in the long run...and show some ragequitting clerics who's the wannabe healer when you can solo heal BH 69 BH brim when you go sage

SAGE AA MYST FTW
  • Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    +1
    Do LA mysts have lots of mana? b:avoid

With less than 7k mana... lets see.

Res = 2.9k
    Falling petals = 420
    Shell = 620
    Devil = 1050
    Transfer = 4.1k

That's... not enough b:chuckle
  • mecatl33
    edited August 2011
    I can't decide at all between LA and AA for my mystic.

I can get r8 but high refines are out of the question (past +5).

Here's the builds i'm stuck between:

AA at 90: http://pwcalc.com/9f8bf28ed6226159
    LA at 90: http://pwcalc.com/3237fb6d4874d6cd

AA gives a lot more attack and mdef, but LA has a huge boost in pdef and HP from LA.

:C I CANT DECIDE.

Well Nahla after reading everyone's replies I hope it helped make your decision. For me LA mystic works. Most people who replied really just cared about the fact of being able to heal. If they want to heal so badly they should re-roll as a cleric. Good luck on your build. b:victory
  • Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Well Nahla after reading everyone's replies I hope it helped make your decision. For me LA mystic works. Most people who replied really just cared about the fact of being able to heal. If they want to heal so badly they should re-roll as a cleric. Good luck on your build. b:victory

I guess your unable to read past heals.

Most of us talked about gimped damage, mana pool, killing ability, magic tanking.

But, ya know. Whatever
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011

with that kind of silly logic i can make a full arcane full magic barb and ill be ok because its the build i want to do!. please ppl, stop coming up with BS logic. a bad build is a bad build regardless on rather or not u like it. no one is gonna stop u from going LA of course, but that doesnt change the fact that its idiotic to do so especially when u only gain 1k in pdef more which ammounts to almost nothing and u get less magic defense on top of that.
    Yup I'm an LA in an arcane class...there's a reason why I have LA though.

I gots Melee (Foxform skill tree is almost all melee damage except for the debuffs)

I'm more confident amping pole and nob knowing that I can survive at least the initial AOE

But on the side of the mysts though, I myself don't get it. They have some of the best defense spells in the game. You don't get close to opponents to knock or debuff em out, you got pets and plants to do that. You got really nice heals though the mana cost is a bit heavy.

I don't get it...save your effort to go LA and go for AA pure or mag/vit

It will save you the headache in the long run...and show some ragequitting clerics who's the wannabe healer when you can solo heal BH 69 BH brim when you go sage

SAGE AA MYST FTW

LA venos are an exception because of there melee skills. the class is built to go either way. but that is where the idea of arcane using LA came from. ppl thought "if a veno can do it why cant other arcanes?" so now we see LA wizzards, LA psys, and now LA mystics....

mystics even have a PUSH BACK skill that WORKS IN PVP and u say u want to be less squishy? despite mystics having the most defensive skills to keep them alive out of all the arcane classes? its time for you to uninstall the game and go play my little pony online.

your still gonna die in LA. do u know why? because ****ing LA classes themselves like sins and archers complain about how squishy they are to the point of them trying HA builds. try going to the sin forum or archer forum and search up how many complaints there are of them being squishy and dying alot. all of u are bunch of vaginas (excuse my french).
  • IAetius - Dreamweaver
    IAetius - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Now GTFO.

I like this post b:chuckle
    TY for my shiney new R9 PWE b:chuckle

iAetius - Sage- Mystic-
  • mecatl33
    edited August 2011
    Someone needs to close this thread before Barunaa starts foaming at the mouth. b:chuckleb:bye
  • Barunaa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Someone needs to close this thread before Barunaa starts foaming at the mouth. b:chuckleb:bye

just a question. but why didnt u roll a seeker if u want to be a ranged caster but ur afraid of being to "squishy"b:chuckleb:bye
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    You're a caster. LA or not, when you get hit you go squish.

Might as well hurt what squished you though, amirite? b:cute
  • Nahla - Harshlands
    Nahla - Harshlands Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    .___.
    oh.
    yeah.
    I restatted.
    lol.
  • XMiyala - Dreamweaver
    XMiyala - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I saw a heavy armor mystic once. Probably lvl 70-80. I guess that's worse than LA