Hurricane Irene and PWE East Coast

Options
Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Obviously, I play West Coast (Sanctuary), and obviously, some really, really smart person is going to be thuper, thuper thmart and point out that I'm not even on the East Coast, so it shouldn't bother me, all without reading ANY of this post, and look like a complete ***. But, it is important, because while I'm on the West Coast, I have friends on the East Coast, and this has the potential to impact a large number of people.

The issue is simple. If this Hurricane hits the wrong place, and PWE East Coast servers go down, will that effect the game-play on the West Coast servers as well? Or did PWE decide to put a key database server in one location with no backup, so if it goes down, nobody can do anything until it's accessible again?

If the East Coast servers go down, but not the West or EU servers, what kind of Compensation will be promised, and obviously, never delivered?

I hope nobody loses their home/property/lives from this hurricane, I know there's a lot of players, even on West Coast servers in the East. b:surrender
101 Sage Sin*/Archer
100 Demon BM*/Barb
96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
95 Demon Wiz/
94 Sage Veno
85 Psy/80 Mystic
And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
*Pre RB level
Post edited by Sarrafeline - Sanctuary on

Comments

• endlesspsy
    endlesspsy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    cool story
    come webcam and we can talk about it http://tinychat.com/pwichat b:pleased
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    PWE decide to put a key database server in one location with no backup, so if it goes down, the server will disappear ?

Fixed b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I live on the east coast, and a people are blowing this hurricane out of proportion.

If it came 5-6 years ago no one would really even notice.

But we haven't had a hurricane in a long time so people kind of forget what it's like. When I was a kid we would have 3-4 hurricanes a year, half of which stronger than this Irene one.

So... yea the hurricane won't be half as bad as people are making it out to be and it will probably be pretty uneventful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I live on the east coast, and a people are blowing this hurricane out of proportion.

But we haven't had a hurricane in a long time so people kind of forget what it's like. When I was a kid we would have 3-4 hurricanes a year, half of which stronger than this Irene one.

So... yea the hurricane won't be half as bad as people are making it out to be and it will probably be pretty uneventful.

I was personally hoping for another Ivan, seeing ~4 feet of snow in Florida was pretty epic.

But, when you were a kid, there wasn't as much internet infrastructure as there is now. Knowing PWE, they put the Database server in the basement of their NY office on the coastline which is 1 inch above sea level, so storm surge will hit and it will be under 200 feet of salt water and everyone will have to wait for them to have backups mailed to them from Fartistan, Arsebutt, Mars. >_> I can recall recently the database server went down and nobody could load a character and it was stupid annoying.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    How is pwi gonna compensate you for a natural disaster? Really?

Really?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Obviously, I play West Coast (Sanctuary), and obviously, some really, really smart person is going to be thuper, thuper thmart and point out that I'm not even on the East Coast, so it shouldn't bother me, all without reading ANY of this post, and look like a complete ***. But, it is important, because while I'm on the West Coast, I have friends on the East Coast, and this has the potential to impact a large number of people.

The issue is simple. If this Hurricane hits the wrong place, and PWE East Coast servers go down, will that effect the game-play on the West Coast servers as well? Or did PWE decide to put a key database server in one location with no backup, so if it goes down, nobody can do anything until it's accessible again?

If the East Coast servers go down, but not the West or EU servers, what kind of Compensation will be promised, and obviously, never delivered?

I hope nobody loses their home/property/lives from this hurricane, I know there's a lot of players, even on West Coast servers in the East. b:surrender

If I recall the PWI is only located in California, so I believe it is all safe.

Unless of course you didn't watch G4 TV about Perfect World at all....if not then you're blind.
  • Evinerre - Lost City
    Evinerre - Lost City Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

We said the same thing about Katrina here in Louisiana. Hurricanes are nothing to be taken lightly. Irene may be a Cat. 5 by the time it hits the east coast, Katrina laid waste to New Orleans, and that was only a Cat. 3 when it finally hit. And yeah PWEs stuff is held in California.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If I recall the PWI is only located in California, so I believe it is all safe.

Unless of course you didn't watch G4 TV about Perfect World at all....if not then you're blind.

Headquarters in California != where the servers are located. They have servers located on both costs but I have no idea where they are exactly located and I'm to lazy to look them up. I can guarantee that they are backed up.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • WorryEasykil - Dreamweaver
    WorryEasykil - Dreamweaver Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    We said the same thing about Katrina here in Louisiana. Hurricanes are nothing to be taken lightly. Irene may be a Cat. 5 by the time it hits the east coast, Katrina laid waste to New Orleans, and that was only a Cat. 3 when it finally hit. And yeah PWEs stuff is held in California.

Lot of differences between the east coast and Louisiana. we are much more above sea level then Louisiana (I am in North Carolina) While the coastal areas will see strong surges, even if the hurricane were cat 5 it would not impact as badly as Katrina did.

Add to the fact that the jet stream is going to push Irene eastward, which I pointed out to my family Tuesday, and it really wont be that big an event here. The east coast will see a lot of wind and rain for sure, and high waves, but I doubt we will even see any rain from it here in central North Carolina.

add also that it wont get to cat 5. It is over the Bahamas right now, coming out of there it will drop to cat 1 or low cat 2, then strengthen again as it gets into warmer water, but only I suspect to cat 3

In short, nothing to worry aboutb:puzzled Just looked at the weather website, and I see the projected path is already pushed east.
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

Katrina didn't cause the problems in LA... poor levee infrastructure. USACE catagory Incompetent.
    re
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

^ This. All of it.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Arjunro - Heavens Tear
    Arjunro - Heavens Tear Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

pfft yeah what hurricane? b:chuckleb:chuckle
    I was personally hoping for another Ivan, seeing ~4 feet of snow in Florida was pretty epic.

Q.Q i missed that
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

I said that about Katrina. I wasn't even going to evacuate. But, I ended up having to evacuate after all, and then nearly everything I owned got to sit under twelve feet of water for a few weeks. As Evinerre said, Hurricanes are nothing to take lightly, as nature is quite unpredicatable.

Of course, the further north a place is, the less likely a storm will ever manage to get that strong, and stay that strong. Either way, I personally don't take any chances after having lost nearly everything from it in the past. It's one of the reasons I moved up north.
    Katrina didn't cause the problems in LA... poor levee infrastructure. USACE catagory Incompetent.

Sorry, but my hometown wasn't on a levee, yet areas were still hit hard. The problems in the areas north of Lake Ponchartrain were due to the fact that there are loads of bayous all over, not due to nonexistent levees.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    Options
    To answer the OP, It's very likely that they have double redundancy at least. Worst case scenario, they lose the east coast facilities and bring a live backup online on a west coast backup server that is ready for exactly that kind of situation. In that situation, you'll have to wait a couple hours, maybe a day tops for the DNS re-routing to be populated, but even that's a long shot. It would probably be even shorter.

I'd be more worried about the people living on the east coast than what if the server went down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ryuukaze - Sanctuary
    Ryuukaze - Sanctuary Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the people living on the east coast than what if the server went down.

^ This.

And...

Really?

^ This.

Human lives > online game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deadlife - Lost City
    Deadlife - Lost City Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

b:laugh wow when i read op I thought the same exact thing.

I said that about Katrina. I wasn't even going to evacuate. But, I ended up having to evacuate after all, and then nearly everything I owned got to sit under twelve feet of water for a few weeks. As Evinerre said, Hurricanes are nothing to take lightly, as nature is quite unpredicatable.

Well first off I personally experienced tons of hurricanes spending the majority of my childhood around the gulf of mexico in various states, but Ive always found the whole hurricane thing funny, Im currently in the midwest and dealing with these flood matters on the missouri. Now I categorize certain reactions to natural disasters in a logical manner

For instance:

Unavoidable section.

Tornado, very little warning, if any depending on where you live, run to basement/safe area

Earthquake, absolutely no warning at all, not sure the procedures for this, west coasters feel free to elaborate

Some Tsunamis depending on where the initial earthquake was, how big, and the ability to warn people in time.

Volcanoes

Avoidable disasters:

and why people choose to just tape windows and camp out in the bathtub is beyond me, when there is like literally days to a week notice

HURRICANES!!!

Im sorry but I never understood why my parents just didnt take a 2 hour road trip north to some **** hole hotel a few hours before projected drop a tornado of water on your *** time hit....i just dont get it, I mean even if you are poor, a freaking car/bus ride to ensure you definitely will not die from a hurricane seems like something worthwhile....its like the captain that sinks with his ship, sorry, my house/cars/whatever are just not worth it, Im jumpin ship.

FLOODS!!!!

I mean come on, its not like the freaking water rose 20 feet overnight, it took weeks before the water crested flood level in my city....
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    TBH i dont think there hasnt really been a bad hurricane to hit the east coast since Hugo (correct me if im wrong) and im pretty sure Irene wont be nearly as bad as Hugo. My parents were there during Hugo(I was technically there...in meh moms belleh). And they were fine so stop trying to look for an excuse for compensation.

Also east coast servers were located up in New York? Last i say land fall was along the SC/NC coast line. Even if east coast got hit it wouldnt have any effect on west coast servers at all.
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • TnTn - Sanctuary
    TnTn - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    TBH i dont think there hasnt really been a bad hurricane to hit the east coast since Hugo (correct me if im wrong) and im pretty sure Irene wont be nearly as bad as Hugo. My parents were there during Hugo(I was technically there...in meh moms belleh). And they were fine so stop trying to look for an excuse for compensation.

Also east coast servers were located up in New York? Last i say land fall was along the SC/NC coast line. Even if east coast got hit it wouldnt have any effect on west coast servers at all.

New Jersey i believe
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sorry, but my hometown wasn't on a levee, yet areas were still hit hard. The problems in the areas north of Lake Ponchartrain were due to the fact that there are loads of bayous all over, not due to nonexistent levees.

I'm from the 17th ward, was there durin Katriana. As I was for 34 years worth of past storms on the gulf coast.
    re
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hurricanes aren't uncommon out east/southeast in the states. It's all a part of life in a climate that's hospitable to that kind of weather. We had several tornado warnings in southern Ontario last night. All PWE can do is try it's best to maintain it's servers.

As for compensation.. "I forgot to pay my net bill and couldn't play PW, compensate me!"

That's how ridiculous compensation sounds. No flipping idea why people want compensation for every little thing that happens, and as it's been iterated already, I'd be more concerned about people's livelihood than what digital items they'd receive due to mother nature.
  • ShinSein - Harshlands
    ShinSein - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hurricanes aren't uncommon out east/southeast in the states. It's all a part of life in a climate that's hospitable to that kind of weather. We had several tornado warnings in southern Ontario last night. All PWE can do is try it's best to maintain it's servers.

As for compensation.. "I forgot to pay my net bill and couldn't play PW, compensate me!"

That's how ridiculous compensation sounds. No flipping idea why people want compensation for every little thing that happens, and as it's been iterated already, I'd be more concerned about people's livelihood than what digital items they'd receive due to mother nature.

^This

btw that was a nice light show last night lol b:pleased
    [SIGPIC]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/ZeroAngel08/Shinsein.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks goes to Dorset!
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

ShinSein - Harshlands (Alt/Main)
    Shinsetsu - Lothranis (French Main)
    +Bring sexy back - Complete b:victory
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'm from the 17th ward, was there durin Katriana. As I was for 34 years worth of past storms on the gulf coast.

Not saying you were wrong, if I sounded like it I apologize; I was merely pointing out that the levee system wasn't the only problem, and that no matter how good it could have been, nature is still more powerful in the end. And glad to see you weren't wiped out. IIRC the Thibideaux area was closed off for a while cuz there were a lot of dead bodies. I also had friends in Chalmette that lost everything.
    Sildell is my hometown by the way, and it was where I was living at the time.

Sidetracking aside, I don't think it will be an issue even if such an event does happen, because I doubt that PWI would not have some sort of backup. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Not saying you were wrong, if I sounded like it I apologize; I was merely pointing out that the levee system wasn't the only problem, and that no matter how good it could have been, nature is still more powerful in the end. And glad to see you weren't wiped out. IIRC the Thibideaux area was closed off for a while cuz there were a lot of dead bodies. I also had friends in Chalmette that lost everything.
    Sildell is my hometown by the way, and it was where I was living at the time.

Sidetracking aside, I don't think it will be an issue even if such an event does happen, because I doubt that PWI would not have some sort of backup. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

The levee is in place to prevent storm surges to any mainlands north of of it... it was broken in 50+ difspots, so It is obvious it's infrastructure was cause of the major problems (army corp even admitted to it AFTER) In areas like south LA, storm surges retract slower because of those swamp lands, so more surges just feed water deapth in flood prone areas, and the remaining levees also helped in preventing storm surge retraction.

But on topic i supose, It is a f2p. I doubt they will bother with any compensations. SOE did compensate some areas of the gulf coast when katriana hit there, so it is not unheard of for gaming companies to do that.
    re
  • Hungwang - Lost City_1333950407
    Hungwang - Lost City_1333950407 Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hurricane sucks
    [SIGPIC]Hung like a horse.[/SIGPIC]
    Hung like a horse.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ^This

btw that was a nice light show last night lol b:pleased
    Yeah, almost like Canada day, eh? As someone who's originally from California, the incredibly loud thunder here in Ontario threw me out of bed, and it was pretty interesting watching on CTV lightning striking the CN tower some 5-7 times live.
  • Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear
    Foxy_Fiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I live in eastern NC and I didn't wonder for a second about what sort of compensation my games should give me if my service is temporarily interrupted.

A catagory 3 hurricane won't make me twitchy unless it has another creeping up right behind it. (Anyone remember Floyd? *twitch* Two category 2 hurricanes back to back scare me far more than a category 3 that's predicted to keep moving.) It's the media's job to report the news and make it seem a lot more exciting than it really is. They obviously did their job well with this one. I can only imagine what it must have been like at the local news stations this week... an earthquake AND a hurricane? OMGWTFBBQ! :P

I play on a west coast server and I can afford to buy hypers, but ooooomg guys! My power might go out and people might be able to play while I can't! Totally not fair! Turn on 2x pl0x!!!11 </sarcasm>

Come on guys, seriously? Expecting PWI to switch on 2x or give us shinies every time there is a hiccup is dumb. Try discussing compensation for downtime when something knocks the servers out for days or weeks. I hardly consider being without power for a couple of hours a disaster.

I seriously doubt the actual servers will be affected by this. Even if they are, the downtime probably wouldn't be for more than a couple of hours. You won't lose anything. Consider it unscheduled maintenance and stop trying to find ways to make PWI give us treats for being unable to play for short periods of time. I have given PWI money like many others out there and I don't feel that they owe me anything for short periods of downtime.

The last time I recall them compensating us for downtime was because of the DDoS attacks a while ago. That was a pretty constant problem that occured over a period of time. There's a difference between the game being almost unplayable for a few weeks and not being able to play for a few hours. Switching on 2x after that was over was understandable.

Move inland if you're living at the beach. Everyone else calm down! :P
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Personally i love thunderstorms and such and if I i lived on the coast, I would more then likely would stay put....well with the exception of a top grade cat 4-5 hurricane then i may move inland a lil bit. Only reason ppl flip over the smaller hurricanes is cause the media up-plays them more then needed. This comming from a person who lived in Charleston, SC for 12 years.
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Eh if it's not Andrew ('92 cat 5 anyone?) or the triple onslought of Katrina-Wilma-Rita from '05, I'm not too worried.

But really, asking for compensation from PWI is the equivalent of asking the US Postal Service to compensate you after an earthquake destroys a post office and your mail is delayed...

Stupid people... b:sweat
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    O-o
    Why would they compensate for a natural disaster?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Im glad it's not hitting FL for special reasons, but i dont wont it hitting any state.