Hurricane Irene and PWE East Coast

Options
2»

Comments

• Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If I recall the PWI is only located in California, so I believe it is all safe.

Unless of course you didn't watch G4 TV about Perfect World at all....if not then you're blind.

Huh... WTF. I don't watch TV. I mean, I don't watch TV at all.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    We said the same thing about Katrina here in Louisiana. Hurricanes are nothing to be taken lightly. Irene may be a Cat. 5 by the time it hits the east coast, Katrina laid waste to New Orleans, and that was only a Cat. 3 when it finally hit. And yeah PWEs stuff is held in California.
    Irene MIGHT make a cat. 3 before it hits, most likely won't break cat. 2

And Katrina wasn't really that powerful of a hurricane. The reason it did so much damage was because of the geographic location of new orleans, the city was basically at the bottom of a huge bowl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Irene MIGHT make a cat. 3 before it hits, most likely won't break cat. 2

And Katrina wasn't really that powerful of a hurricane. The reason it did so much damage was because of the geographic location of new orleans, the city was basically at the bottom of a huge bowl.

It's currently a cat 3, or was earlier today when I checked.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I was just watching the news, it's a cat 2 and will build up in strength before it hits land (if it hits land, there's a possibility it will veer right and completely miss us)

But meh, we've seen worse. I remember floyd when I was a kid. And I remember one, don't remember the name, that did a lot of damage not because it was strong, but because it went over the area where I lived, and just stayed there for like 3 days.

Worst case scenario, I might lose power, and it will be a pain in the *** to clean up my yard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Proski - Archosaur
    Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    what category is a sage bids directly hitting your house?
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    At the current moment it's been stated as a cat. 3 hurricane.

Gonna suck when it hits :(
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Worst case scenario, I might lose power, and it will be a pain in the *** to clean up my yard.

Agreed. This'll be me too given the most undesirable scenario.
    what category is a sage bids directly hitting your house?

Depends on the refine on the weap and if it's a crit or not.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I may say, if a hurricane hits, the most important point to consider is safety, as in hoping your friends will be fine.

As for gaming... well... it should be really secondary. PWE is not entitled to anything if a natural disaster occurs, by the way. They may lose sales if their server is damaged... but about nothing else...
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • FateMakerr - Heavens Tear
    FateMakerr - Heavens Tear Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    how Is Pwi Gonna Compensate You For A Natural Disaster? Really?

Really?

^

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Semi Retired Psychic of Radiance faction//Entering full retirement upon the release of ĠuildẂars2 or an otherwise drastic change in PWI management.
    "Exploiting a glitch is a violation of the ToS under User Conduct:
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players"-frankieraye ............guess he changed his mind.
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    NY has only been hit a few times by storms at their full force. Most have turned to tropical storms by the time they get there or blow out completely . Only a couple have made direct hits in 1831, 1928, and 1955. FL, SC, and NC always get the brunt of these storms so the servers will be safe. Even if your not in the direct path everyone on the east coast needs to prepare for the winds, flooding, an power outages. Being from NC I have to agree with the other posts on here about the news making it in to a much bigger deal then it should be. As many that hit us over the years its just a normal part of our Aug-Sept weather.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I live on the east coast, and a people are blowing this hurricane out of proportion.

If it came 5-6 years ago no one would really even notice.

But we haven't had a hurricane in a long time so people kind of forget what it's like. When I was a kid we would have 3-4 hurricanes a year, half of which stronger than this Irene one.

So... yea the hurricane won't be half as bad as people are making it out to be and it will probably be pretty uneventful.

This is Rawrgh reporting live from the cargo crate/shipping container/hurricane shelter. The winds are reacing 120 miles and hour and sea swell is... *gulp gulp gulp ffzzzttt* b:chuckle

Contact was shortly lost... Don't you remember New Orleans? 0.3 inches a year is a serious amount for a swamp to swallow a town. Let alone all the people at the Football stadium, thank you, F.E.M.A, for your ongoing support.

Yeah we could sing "Somewhere over the rainbow." while your shipping container flies in the air. You might drop your shipping crate on the wicked president of the west.

Only hurricanes / storm surges we get here in Australia are in Cairns & Brisbane and one thing you learn quickly if you've been here in Australia is that the more you go north the more the natives who drink too much come out and cause more havoc than any landfall storm.

Another thing I'm interested in is all this 'cash' you guys supposedly have over there. Hey 14 trillion out of 16 trillion isn't that bad, Your federal reserve can conjure up more money. Least China won't lending you anything this time. Try India? How about Thailand? Won't be getting to the Philippines just yet, though?

I'd hate to think what would happen to Cuba if a hurricane got a bit to serious though.

Got'tah (Yes I know the english is wrong) thank our good friend, Julian (he is Australian, don't ya know?) for putting that Open and the Government word right back where it belongs.

Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No one ever remembers how much of Mississippi got wiped out by Katrina, it's all just New Orleans you hear about. b:sad Damn media more or less ignored Mississippi.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SyanaSky - Sanctuary
    SyanaSky - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No one ever remembers how much of Mississippi got wiped out by Katrina, it's all just New Orleans you hear about. b:sad Damn media more or less ignored Mississippi.

It's because Katrina pretty much turned New Orleans into an extended part of the Gulf.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It's because Katrina pretty much turned New Orleans into an extended part of the Gulf.

Did you see the gulf coast though? Or well, the rubble that was left?b:surrender

And really, they should move New Orleans.... why live in a bowl below sea level? x.X
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Did you see the gulf coast though? Or well, the rubble that was left?b:surrender

And really, they should move New Orleans.... why live in a bowl below sea level? x.X

Was the same here back in 1999. This little town built in the flood zone of one of our major rivers got wiped out an that's all you heard about here. New Orleans in Louisiana and Princeville in North Carolina were living on borrowed time from the moment they were built in such places. An just like New Orleans they built back in the exact same spot.
  • nickkido
    nickkido Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    how Is Pwi Gonna Compensate You For A Natural Disaster? Really?

Really?

^ Yes.
  • ReMakaBo - Archosaur
    ReMakaBo - Archosaur Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

actually -old-New Orleans was always safe from floods, it was originally built on an elevated island, and even safe from storm surges. The additional levees to keep urban spread safe is what pushes alot of the damaging floods into parts of New Orleans.
    re
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I live on the east coast, and a people are blowing this hurricane out of proportion.

If it came 5-6 years ago no one would really even notice.

But we haven't had a hurricane in a long time so people kind of forget what it's like. When I was a kid we would have 3-4 hurricanes a year, half of which stronger than this Irene one.

So... yea the hurricane won't be half as bad as people are making it out to be and it will probably be pretty uneventful.
    The media sure does a good job at scaring people with their sensationalist garbage.