What's it's like to play online games as a grownup.

2»

Comments

• LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Best part of what you said is that you assume I don't realize thatb:laugh.But hey I was specifically talking about Enrage not all of HT in general. Try getting your head out of your *** long enough to realize that if you want to sound intelligent at least attack what the person said rather than bringing up some random assumption you came up with b:bye.

See, now who's assuming? You are now assuming that I reached some random assumption in my previous post, which I did not. I was attacking your statement about it being "like half of Enrage's PK'ers" instead of it being "half of HT's PK'ers." Learn to comprehend fail troll.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • Shandaar - Dreamweaver
    Shandaar - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Love the comic. Best part for me, though, is having someone ingame flirt with you, which I avoid like the plague and block/nip in the bud, and then breaking it to them that I might in fact be old enough to be their mother. After which, of course, I'm either told to GTFO because no adult should play this game, or a "lolz u just say that to get rid of me :D", in which case I just blacklist and move on.

OMG I get that too DX. At 26, I was once told no one above 20 should be playing this, or games in general for that matter. I'll play whatever I want... XD. Not stop gaming because someone who's half my age proclaimed I should.

On the other hand, I experience this first hand every now and then >_>. People who're too impatient to wait a few so I can be free, do stuff before, or just waiting till more people who need log on DX.

To make a long stoy short, a new guy we invited in begged for us to run his 20x3 in 69, and that he needed it *now*. After a few PMs, he asked in guild chat, and demanded ex-leader to come with us. (Now if you've been in Feral, you know the ex-leader... lmfao XD). Anyways, ex-leader seriously didn't wanna go, and the new guy literally blew up at him and left the faction before I could kick him D:. I then got a PM about it - I disagreed with that new guy, so he WCed against our faction for a couple minutes.

A couple days ago I saw him again in WC, still going against us... grow up man... XD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Sad thing is a large number adults act like the teenagers...
    funny comic though b:cute
  • Futurelord - Dreamweaver
    Futurelord - Dreamweaver Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Fact: Majority of people who play mmorpgs have real life issues they try to escape.

Fact: I just made that last part up but its more then likely true.

Fact: Maturity has nothing to do with age.

Fact: Being ordered around by someone half your age is just sad.

Myst: I'm hot.

Fact: That Myst is in fact true.
    b:scorn...We are one, We are many, We are watching you...b:scorn
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    See, now who's assuming? You are now assuming that I reached some random assumption in my previous post, which I did not. I was attacking your statement about it being "like half of Enrage's PK'ers" instead of it being "half of HT's PK'ers." Learn to comprehend fail troll.

Wrong it is not an assumption because you clearly stated it in your post.....Besides how can you even make that statement about "half of HT pkers being like that" and use that as an argument considering it has nothing to do with what I was talking about in my initial previous post....?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
    edited August 2011
    Wrong it is not an assumption because you clearly stated it in your post.....Besides how can you even make that statement about "half of HT pkers being like that" and use that as an argument considering it has nothing to do with what I was talking about in my initial previous post....?

Why single out one faction on the server when there are more people who fit that description elsewhere? Your statement is clearly biased.
  • Deadlife - Lost City
    Deadlife - Lost City Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Myst: I'm hot.

Fact: That Myst is in fact true.

I apologize in advance, normally I'm not one to go all gangster grammar police on people but its myth, not myst

However, back on topic, I thought the comic was kind-of funny, first off I like how they depict the male gamer as the heavy set white male with overgrown hair and a goatee, but the wife is kind of smokin hot for a cartoon, and wants crazy sex.

whats funny about this depiction in my mind, is thats kind of my situation, and Im sure nothing turns my wife of 6 years on more than seeing me sitting at the computer playing a game in which she continually mocks me for having cute little kitty pets and fairies that fly around me in my gym shorts and a tank top.

the underage immature portion of the comic really doesnt hit me in a sense that its something that Ive personally experienced solely from people who are <18 years of age, I'm almost positive, immaturity, obscenities, and general offensive natured things never come out of the adult populations mouths in this game.

Furthermore, Im sure some of you adults who play this game, have children who play this game, which disgusts me seeing the amount of word vomit that emits in world chat daily on multiple servers, and really abhor the parents who still continually allow their children to be subject to these kinds of things....

aside from that, was an entertaining read to say the least
  • magicalbunnies
    magicalbunnies Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I'll just toss my two cents in here...

First off, love the comic.

Secondly, I am surprised at the amount of rage that is generated from a simple comic thread. I'm guessing this was supposed to provide humor, not anger.

Thirdly, I am interested in this whole adults online thing. As the son(17) of single mom(52), I find it so strange that adults manage to find the time to play the game. Not saying it's wrong, but I don't understand how some adults scrounge up so much time. My mom is always working, and cleaning, maintaining the house, etc. Maybe you adults don't have children or a job? Or do you adults get paid so much that you are able to hire maids & such to clean? I'm just saying, if you're not retired, are you unemployed, a housewife/husband, or just very rich?
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    My shop is part of my house. b:pleased
    And some of my friend working from house... so yeah.. depend on what are you doing to make money.. b:surrender

About adult rage on this thread = getting older = more easier to get mad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
    edited August 2011
    I'm a single mother of one kid. I am currently enrolled in college and actively looking for work. My daughter and I clean up after ourselves so the house almost never gets dirty, and I only actively play after she's in bed sleeping.

Any post in this thread that may be misunderstood as anger is in reality nothing more than poking a bit of fun. No harm is intentionally being done. And on that note, I think I'll head to bed, I have a long day tomorrow.
  • magicalbunnies
    magicalbunnies Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I'm a single mother of one kid. I am currently enrolled in college and actively looking for work. My daughter and I clean up after ourselves so the house almost never gets dirty, and I only actively play after she's in bed sleeping.

Any post in this thread that may be misunderstood as anger is in reality nothing more than poking a bit of fun. No harm is intentionally being done. And on that note, I think I'll head to bed, I have a long day tomorrow.

Thanks for clarifying this (Really!) It's hard for me to see another side of something if I don't LIVE on that side. Here's hoping that will improve with age!

@ 2nd part: Glad to hear it :)
  • Commissioner - Archosaur
    Commissioner - Archosaur Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Wierd sex....HEH

Illegal in 7 states.....HEH

GIGITTY

ALRIGHT!
  • O_O - Lothranis
    O_O - Lothranis Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    b:shocked

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Odovacer - Dreamweaver
    Odovacer - Dreamweaver Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2011

It's also good fun to get ordered around by some kid on a power trip when I'm old enough to be his mother. b:scorn

Nice one Tsukyini! And nice link OP, gonna show that one around!
  • mm666mj
    mm666mj Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Funny comic but it's all delusion. If you really think guys that most MMO players are teenagers read this or search google for similar article;)
    http://jeffhurtblog.com/2011/02/21/why-online-games-will-change-work-events/

Btw. it's funny look again on this attacking horde after reading this:D
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited August 2011

Secondly, I am surprised at the amount of rage that is generated from a simple comic thread. I'm guessing this was supposed to provide humor, not anger.

Thirdly, I am interested in this whole adults online thing. As the son(17) of single mom(52), I find it so strange that adults manage to find the time to play the game. Not saying it's wrong, but I don't understand how some adults scrounge up so much time. My mom is always working, and cleaning, maintaining the house, etc. Maybe you adults don't have children or a job? Or do you adults get paid so much that you are able to hire maids & such to clean? I'm just saying, if you're not retired, are you unemployed, a housewife/husband, or just very rich?

I work two jobs, one 4 d/wk and the other 3 d/wk plus i have private clients I see after hours. I mainly come on PW to unwind, chat while doing things around the house ect. Granted I have no kids.
    My Best friend is married and has two kids, she works from home when she used to play she just did so in small doses when she had time.
    It really is a matter of time management though. If gaming was something your mother would be interested in doing I am sure she could manage a little time for it. I am pretty sure she has some sort of hobby even if you dont really see her do anything but work.

the comic was amusing i am saving it b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deant - Raging Tide
    Deant - Raging Tide Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited August 2011

after working around 10 hours 5 or 6 days a week. we play few hours after work 4 or 5 in the best case. weekends i play even less coz thats the time when i do the cleaning, and going out with wife. i dont have kids but that will change after 1 month or so. then ill have even less time. my best pal here has twins and he plays 2 hours every day. we take it as a hobby, but we dont lose our real life over it.
    see ya:)
  • LadyAshlie - Heavens Tear
    LadyAshlie - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Im currently not married (not yet anyways) and work full-time in a company every weekday (except public holidays where its off to shopping with a reluctant bf or excited friends). 24yrs old btw~

Laundry = 20mins hands-on a day (due to the invention of the washing machine and dryer, we only need to put the clothes in, press a button, take it out and dump into the dryer, press abutton, and take it out and fold and into the wardrobe it goes)

Dishes = Done after every cooking session in about 10mins

Rubbish = Easily done on the way out of the home

Housework = vacuum doesnt take more than 15-20mins for an apartment

Overall Toilet/House/Kitchen = 1hr every weekend

Cooking & Feeding my bf food = b:cry but seriously, delicious restaurant-style 2/3-course food can be prepared in 30mins if you know how~

Yeah chores doesnt really take too much time if one does alittle everyday. Would probably take 10x as much after marriage with a new addition in the house.

And back to that comic strip, I did something similar to my bf when he was gaming on his xbox (guys and their xbox....probably wont leave their xbox even if the house went up in flames). He simply vanished from the online world for quite a long time~ b:laugh
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Average age of a gamer is somewhere around 25 ijs.

Average age of a CASUAL MMO GAMER (especially a game like PWI that demands a lot of money) is probably much higher, and there's probably a much larger proportion of 'grownups'.

So that comic is kinda inaccurate (Oatmeal is awesome though), cos it should be the other way around with 10000 adults and 2 kids.

Does anyone else think it's ironic that people who like to call themselves "mature" also seem to like to generalize and stereotype more than the people they are stereotyping?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Mayatheia - Heavens Tear
    Mayatheia - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Average age of a gamer is someone around 25 ijs

Average age of an MMO GAMER (especially a game like PWI that demands a lot of money) is probably much higher, and there's probably a much larger proportion of 'grownups'.

So that comic is kinda inaccurate (Oatmeal is awesome though), cos it should be the other way around with 10000 adults and 2 kids.

QFT

Unlike many other mmos (especially free to play/private srvs) in pwi the average age is above 25. Most of the players have a job or are in college. That still doesnt mean they are not acting like teenagers. One more thing to prove that age has nothing to do with maturity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When people walk away from you, let them go... your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you.. and it doesn't mean they are bad people.. It just means that their part in your story is over...
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    QFT

Unlike many other mmos (especially free to play/private srvs) in pwi the average age is above 25. Most of the players have a job or are in college. That still doesnt mean they are not acting like teenagers. One more thing to prove that age has nothing to do with maturity.

Exactly what I meant

Maturity =/= Age

If any of you reading this consider yourself 'mature', but have some kind of negative reaction when you meet a guy who's 14 [but know nothing else about him/her], then you don't deserve to be 'mature'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I think people just choose to unleash their hidden face on internet. (even may not realizing)
    Someone who very polite on real can be complete opposite on internet.
    Someone who very greedy on real can give free things to in game friend.
    Someone who unhelpful in game, may actually likes to help on reality.
    Does anyone else think it's ironic that people who like to call themselves "mature" also seem to like to generalize and stereotype more than the people they are stereotyping?

I think it's once again about silly pride or e-peen on internet language. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    (reads comic)

This is seriously the sad truth......

Which of course is why I prefer adult non-TW factions, I tend to get too much raging and begging from anyone under age 17 mostly.

However out of factions, since I stay out of PK zones, I see most of this in lv80+ FC squads.......

I beg to differ.

I don't see how you can automatically assume that someone raging/begging is under 17?

Because people over 19 are never stupid am I right?

What is more likely is that you're stereotyping based on how s/he is acting. How often would a rager/beggar just tell you their age?

I've never had anyone tell me their age directly, It's always been some offhand remark that gives it away ("Brb baby crying", "Bye, I have work" or whatever)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayatheia - Heavens Tear
    Mayatheia - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    ive seen 17years old ppl acting more mature than 30+ yo parent.
    And i agree that ppl in a game act 90% of the times opposite to how they are in rl. Either coz in rl there are restriction that forbid them to be themselves and they feel free to express in a game or because they are running away from their rl identity or simply because they want to be less important/more important in a game than they are in rl... reasons are many. Most of them do realize it, but would never admit it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When people walk away from you, let them go... your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you.. and it doesn't mean they are bad people.. It just means that their part in your story is over...
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Why single out one faction on the server when there are more people who fit that description elsewhere? Your statement is clearly biased.

I chose to single them out because that is what I wanted to do o_o? And biased lol....?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • Cytte - Harshlands
    Cytte - Harshlands Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    25+ is better, in my opinion. That gives them 4 years to get used to being able to drink legally and learn how to do it without making complete fools of themselves in vent/faction chat. Granted, many will never learn, but at least they had the opportunity.

I've had too many things ruined by the "OMG I'm sooooo wasted hehehehe omg I have no idea what's going on I'm so wasted omg I can't believe I screwed up that pull that I've done a billion times it's just because i'm sooooo wasted lawlz."

It's also good fun to get ordered around by some kid on a power trip when I'm old enough to be his mother. b:scorn

Unless you live in some parts of Europe where you've had 9+ years of practice at that point. Though I say 18+ then watch how they act and if they're constantly acting like the 8th panel kick them.

But yea that comic is priceless. <3
    I <3 A lot of people
  • Scathed - Harshlands
    Scathed - Harshlands Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2011

33, smoking hot wife (nope not just saying were on facebook), two kids (1 & 4), work full time, go to gym 4 days a week, so totally not rich. This is my main - notice my join date (and actually started playing earlier than that date but meh close enough) vs. my level :P Its like others said all about time management. Despite the foul mouthed immature players (regardless of age) there are some really cool people playing too that I enjoy chatting with and when played as a pass-time rather than epeen booster the game can be a lot of fun (though damn sometimes I think PWE wants to remove the fun lol). Trust me, when you're older and have kids - you'll want ways to relax too ;)

oh... and gaming has been around longer than teenagers lol
  • Massad - Harshlands
    Massad - Harshlands Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Had an all adult faction on harshlands... However.. (not naming) and her husband (stupid no names rule) have been having sex for the past 4 months....

(that one chick) had a kid

(the other chick) married (that guy) and moved to houston. (she plays again her husband not so much)

(Some other dude) plays other games now

Our youngest member at the age of 17 has left for college

8 members are deployed in various units.

One guy comes on once a week but his gf bugs him for.... yum yums and pieb:dirty

She comes in afterward to talk, supposedly he is sleeping.

There are 2 brothers one 30 something one 40 something that live next to the first couple at the top.

The last couple of guys work as ship captains in the gulf and don't come on very often.

But yea it was an all adult faction at one time b:chuckle Stupid life getting in the way of gamingb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Other names include but not limited to LOKl_ _ClRCE_, _AnGeal_
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    edited August 2011
    [/cynical 15 yo teenager]

At least my half-rant stopped people generalizing. b:shocked

90% of the posts on page 2-4 almost made me rage like an apparently "normal teenager" -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Things I have learned/confirmed in a MMO:

- No matter what you do, it's still a game and it's a business, no matter how you look at it;

- Even if you are someone nice in reality, being a jerk and/or very perverted in game will not grant you points, unless you like to act that way and hang around the same kind of people;

- Levels and gears mean nothing nowadays;

- You can act all the way you want, fake it all, create an alternate existence/personality; if one expects true love/friendship out of a MMO, he/she'd better investigate well;

- Having a good family reputation and a nice paying job won't automatically save you;

- Also, age does not equal maturity, especially these days and in all cases. You can be a middle-aged gaming man and still be a dummy;

- If you are the top head of a faction and an idiot, you're legitimately the idiot master. Enjoy bragging about it.

P.S.: I tend to play this game for its tactical and monetary aspects, but also because of it's richness in terms of landscapes, blah blah. Capping, achievement or relationships matter little to me (unless I meet and keep in touch with genuine people -respectable, trustful, honest, sincere, etc.- along the way, which I did on a very few occasions).
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~