Servers crashed..

taugrim
taugrim Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Server crashed during my TT run and we lost our drops.. Others lost head runs, alot of people just lost alot right then... We demand an explanation?
Post edited by taugrim on

Comments

• menelanna
    menelanna Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    oh god...QQing already? DCs happen, get over it.
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Either they did, or the server did another mass-dc.
  • KingCrash - Dreamweaver
    KingCrash - Dreamweaver Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Yeah it's a mass D/C.
  • taugrim
    edited August 2011
    Another mass d/c, wtf??
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2011
    Yeah it's a mass D/C.

Figures seems like someones being lazy on keeping an eye on the server again.

ah well.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Mass DC number 2 w00t w00t 2x around the corner :D
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • KingCrash - Dreamweaver
    KingCrash - Dreamweaver Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Figures seems like someones being lazy on keeping an eye on the server again.

ah well.

Boo hoo.

Guess I should be playing the game then. Oh wait.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    taugrim wrote: »
    Server crashed during my TT run and we lost our drops.. Others lost head runs, alot of people just lost alot right then... We demand an explanation?

You should, like, say what server(s).

Cause Sanct has been up solid since this morning... Knock on wood (raps head).
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • taugrim
    edited August 2011
    3rd Mass D/C... On dreamweaver... Fix it !!
  • Dethprowl - Raging Tide
    Dethprowl - Raging Tide Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    RT is having repeated DCs now too.
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2011
    Boo hoo.

Guess I should be playing the game then. Oh wait.

Ha ha funny >_> its more like " HAHAHAHAHAHA! GM'S SCREWED UP AGAIN!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE STILL SCREWED!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! "

Type of thing I would be saying if they end up having server issues within their computers >_>;;;
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Play already. b:beatup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Sir_Puma - Raging Tide
    Sir_Puma - Raging Tide Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    It happens..

Raging Tide crashed 2 times, maybe 3 as well. I mostly came see this thread to see how many would go "2x now !!!"

Or how many would get their whip out and say "fix it !" when they are probably playing for free on a free game.

Let's compare it simply to this :

Anyone's net company gets some hiccups and crashes them 2-3 times, will they jump at their neck right off and ask for 2x speed ?

b:bye
    Proud supporter of the new expansion. Sure it has it's share of bugs, like any games. But for a pure farmer/grinder, that's a whole lot of new mobs to go beat up b:chuckle
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Somebody tripped on the power plug again. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Mineja - Lost City
    Mineja - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Somebody tripped on the power plug again. b:surrender

It was the neighbors cat b:chuckle
  • heesi
    heesi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Patch Notes Version 551
    Released August 16, 2011

General
    Client has been upgraded for upcoming connectivity features.

b:chuckle
  • hanfknolle
    hanfknolle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Same here yesterday mass DC and today 2x Mass DC on dreamweaver and now you wonder why we crying about 2x? b:laugh
  • Bearish - Sanctuary
    Bearish - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    sanctuary just d/c like 50+ times too, we need 3x compensation for this
  • hanfknolle
    hanfknolle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    They wont do 3x we never had 3x ":D" but this should be straight for 1 or 2 weeks 2x so i can get rid my nirvana keys and enconomy gets down also b:victory
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    OK, well first off, (at least in the case of Sanctuary), the server never went down. I had a shop toon up and running, and it's still connected and running great.

This tells me that it is NOT a server issue.

It's also NOT an issue with PWI's ISP, or a result of a DDoS attack either. If it were any of the above reasons EVERYONE would have disconnected. Especially if it was as bad as you say it is.

What is most likely the case, is that a regional hub got overloaded or fell over and you were not able to establish a connection while it was down and still being routed around. In most cases there are at least 10 of these routers between your computer and the PWI servers, and any one of them can cause you to have an issue with your connection to PWI. None of them are controlled by you, your ISP, PWI's ISP, or the PWI servers.

SO, that said, the servers DID NOT crash. You all just DC'ed because of a failure in your connection point. I remember a couple of years ago when the entire eastern seaboard wasn't able to connect. Had to do with a regional network hub in Colorado, Got re-routed to Texas, then that fell over from the load. Was almost two days we couldn't play, and had NOTHING to do with PWI at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • menelanna
    menelanna Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Ty for the post SylenThunder. Good to see someone with a brain posting and not hoping on to just QQ about DCing a loosing heads/TT/Nirv ect and demanding 2x.

For the rest of you...grow up and get over it.
    edited August 2011
    OK, well first off, (at least in the case of Sanctuary), the server never went down. I had a shop toon up and running, and it's still connected and running great.

This tells me that it is NOT a server issue.

It's also NOT an issue with PWI's ISP, or a result of a DDoS attack either. If it were any of the above reasons EVERYONE would have disconnected. Especially if it was as bad as you say it is.

What is most likely the case, is that a regional hub got overloaded or fell over and you were not able to establish a connection while it was down and still being routed around. In most cases there are at least 10 of these routers between your computer and the PWI servers, and any one of them can cause you to have an issue with your connection to PWI. None of them are controlled by you, your ISP, PWI's ISP, or the PWI servers.

SO, that said, the servers DID NOT crash. You all just DC'ed because of a failure in your connection point. I remember a couple of years ago when the entire eastern seaboard wasn't able to connect. Had to do with a regional network hub in Colorado, Got re-routed to Texas, then that fell over from the load. Was almost two days we couldn't play, and had NOTHING to do with PWI at all.

incorrect.

PWE has TWO ISP's, and more than one hardware server.

Dreamweaver is on the East Coast, as is Raging Tides, which happens to be where the JD and FW servers are located. I checked those forums and found QQ DC threads too, so it's not just Dreamweaver and possibly RT.

I had my shop connected all night on Sanct, but I've had awful pings for the last few days.

During a DDoS, the server gets flooded with junk packets. Since the network gets tied down, it either resets connections or the ISP does. When this happens, everyone Mass DC's, but sometimes, it's not the entire server, you might have a % of the server get booted while the rest stay with **** pings.

The only time the ENTIRE server boots everyone is when the server itself resets, or if it's a massive DDoS and the active connections are flooded out.

Now, from past experience, the instances, such as Frost, BH/FB, and possibly TT, Cube, and OHT are all on a separate server, so if you're in a BH, and you suddenly find your party going from 6 to 2 people, your main server might not be DDoS, but they might be attacking the instances server (or the instances server might just be ****ting bricks). Conversely, if you're doing BH and say, you're from Dreamweaver, and Dreamweaver gets DDoS, you might get stuck in the instance until there's an available connection to let you reconnect to Dreamweaver. It's happened before.

So, for people saying there's mass DC on the West Coast servers, I don't see it yet, there's still a crush of catshops on Sanct and I stayed connected all night.

And I refute the quoted post, it doesn't contain accurate information. It could be a dieing switch, bad networking gear, a hardware issue with the server, an ISP problem with a specific set of links to a specific server, or it could be what's most obvious, a DDoS.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    The only QQ i have about the DC wave is it hit me as I was pulling in TM eden D: over 100k charm gone by the time i was able to get back on b:cry
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
    edited August 2011
    The point is that 98% of the time people are DCing, it's because of that point of failure in between them and PWE. Happened recently to the East coast servers where a hub in New York was having constant issues. As it was the direct link to the servers belonging to PWI's ISP, many people experienced disconnects. Not all did however. And none of it was anything that PWE or their ISP could control. I would imagine that the same thing happened last night, or something similar, which is what I stated above.

The point is that 98% of the time people get on and QQ about disconnecting, it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual servers themselves or the hardware connected to them on PWE's end. And yes, I am familiar with the firewalls/load balancers/switches/servers/ect. I'm a network administrator. I know how that works. Sure that can happen on occasion, but it very rarely leads to disconnects from the PWE end, and with the redundancy that is in place, you will see very little effect on our end if an instance server fell over. I've run a private server before.

Also... you imply that a DDoS could attack individual instance servers. Since that particular traffic is handled internally by the load balancers on the PWI side of the hardware firewall, you aren't going to see that happening. Ever.

The same applies to your squad going from 6 people to 2. If the instance server fell over, you would all be dropped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Blah, blah, blah b:laugh

I was in a squad from all over the world trying to run Delta's last night during the disconnects on RT. We all had major lag issues & got kicked at least once each over numerous attempts at a full Delta. So, our lost coins for charms, hours of time, repairs and lack of success on drops & BH's due to members being disconnected is just our fault? Oh, yes, we're still waiting on compensation on the losses from DDoS attacks earlier this year.

Listening on vent, the rest of the faction was getting kicked from BH's and quests as well as falling from the sky around the map to wake up dead when they could get back in game. The majority of cat shops were thinned out in W. Arch. I actually thought I was going to get DC'ed when my lag went over 20 seconds; but, actually stayed in game. (Not that I was able to play live or anything.) I'd say that PWI should step up Customer Satisfaction for those who were on line during this traumatic and horendous event. b:shocked

My suggestion is that those of us who suffered the mental anguish and character losses last night should be compensated. Since they are behind for months in compensation, (does the term "Dead Beat MMO" come to mind? If it were child care payments it would,) I would suggest full R9 gear as a minimum at no cost to players. If they are worth it at their jobs, I would expect full R9 at n/c and instant level 105 as well. I understand that this is just a game and we're just discussing pixels. I would agree that it is just pixels, as should PWI, so let them give us R9 gear and level 105 pixels since it's not really real.

Semper Fi,
    edited August 2011
    The point is that 98% of the time people are DCing, it's because of that point of failure in between them and PWE. Happened recently to the East coast servers where a hub in New York was having constant issues. As it was the direct link to the servers belonging to PWI's ISP, many people experienced disconnects. Not all did however. And none of it was anything that PWE or their ISP could control. I would imagine that the same thing happened last night, or something similar, which is what I stated above.

The point is that 98% of the time people get on and QQ about disconnecting, it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual servers themselves or the hardware connected to them on PWE's end. And yes, I am familiar with the firewalls/load balancers/switches/servers/ect. I'm a network administrator. I know how that works. Sure that can happen on occasion, but it very rarely leads to disconnects from the PWE end, and with the redundancy that is in place, you will see very little effect on our end if an instance server fell over. I've run a private server before.

Also... you imply that a DDoS could attack individual instance servers. Since that particular traffic is handled internally by the load balancers on the PWI side of the hardware firewall, you aren't going to see that happening. Ever.

The same applies to your squad going from 6 people to 2. If the instance server fell over, you would all be dropped.

Not if it's a DDoS. >_>

If it was a large hub failing, then you'd also go from 6 to 0 as well. From FW and JD, looks like it's booting large quantities of people, but not everyone.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
    edited August 2011
    TBH despite being a victim of the DC fest myself, **** happens. As much as it does annoy me i lost 100K+ off my barbs charm in eden, I really dont believe that we should get compenstation for every little mass DC that happens. If there was compensation all I would ask for is for the 100k+ charm i lost to be re-added but thats it. Honestly enough QQ and move on. As far as I know the situation resolved itself within 15mins and all was well so I see no real reason for compensation that yall nagging.
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    TBH despite being a victim of the DC fest myself, **** happens. As much as it does annoy me i lost 100K+ off my barbs charm in eden, I really dont believe that we should get compenstation for every little mass DC that happens. If there was compensation all I would ask for is for the 100k+ charm i lost to be re-added but thats it. Honestly enough QQ and move on. As far as I know the situation resolved itself within 15mins and all was well so I see no real reason for compensation that yall nagging.

The DC feast lasted for 4+ hours last night, not counting the heavy lag this past week. Also, if you want to negotiate a settlement you don't start off with your minimal acceptance level. You'd have no room to negotiate as they would respond with a lower offer. If all you lost was 100k off your charm, then you were extremely lucky. Costs to players I was with last night ran up to 500k+ coins easy and half of Platinum charms or more. Multiply that by the player base and it monts up quickly.

I would reinterate, we are still owed the promised comp from the DDoS attacks earlier this year. Again, if this were a parent paying child support, they would be concidered "dead beats" and a court would either be garnishing their wages or putting them in jail. I still suggest that we be given full R9 gear at no cost to players as well as level 105 for compensation. This is nothing but pixels, so I don't see why you or PWI would object.

Semper Fi,
    edited August 2011
    The DC feast lasted for 4+ hours last night, not counting the heavy lag this past week. Also, if you want to negotiate a settlement you don't start off with your minimal acceptance level. You'd have no room to negotiate as they would respond with a lower offer. If all you lost was 100k off your charm, then you were extremely lucky. Costs to players I was with last night ran up to 500k+ coins easy and half of Platinum charms or more. Multiply that by the player base and it monts up quickly.

I would reinterate, we are still owed the promised comp from the DDoS attacks earlier this year. Again, if this were a parent paying child support, they would be concidered "dead beats" and a court would either be garnishing their wages or putting them in jail. I still suggest that we be given full R9 gear at no cost to players as well as level 105 for compensation. This is nothing but pixels, so I don't see why you or PWI would object.

Semper Fi,

well if it lasted longer then my squad must of been lucky after the first couple waves so my bad. I am also aware that we are still owed compensation for the DDoS attacks from back in March or April but honestly its PWI, I wouldnt hold my breath cause i would die of lack of oxygen. But I will still say that PWI doesnt owe compensation for this incident because obviously it wasnt the servers cause ppl were still connected as of such it was something with the connection between our computers and the servers. Why should PWI compensate for something that is out of their control? I just simply believe people shouldnt demand compensation for something beyonds one control but then again Im a very passive person and just let things run their course so w/eb:surrender
    edited August 2011
    Not if it's a DDoS. >_>

If it was a large hub failing, then you'd also go from 6 to 0 as well. From FW and JD, looks like it's booting large quantities of people, but not everyone.

Not everyone goes through the same hubs. Hell, your route can change over a matter of seconds to a different hub and you aren't the wiser of it unless you are constantly tracing.

So it was a hub close to the PWI ISP.
    It doesn't change the fact that the issue isn't on the PWI/PWE end of it.
    It doesn't change the fact that a massive number of people are DCing.
    If you can route around the hub that has an issue, (possible suing a proxy), then you can stop the DC's. Otherwise you just have to live with it till the owner of the hub system that is failing fixes the issue, or until the routers linking to that hub recognize the issue and find a path around it.

In any case, it isn't the servers, and it isn't PWI/PWE. Because of that, you won't get compensated.

Please don't make me get out Gimp and start doodling a router map for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]