In-game Relationships

bonbonsmalisia
bonbonsmalisia Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
I wanted to ask you guys, about ur thougths about relations in game that get serious as if they were real. What do You think about them? Is it worth it?
Post edited by bonbonsmalisia on

Comments

• Kagizyu - Heavens Tear
    Kagizyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I wanted to ask you guys, about ur thougths about relations in game that get serious as if they were real. What do You think about them? Is it worth it?

Lol, gonna hook up through a game, or as Abysm might say as if he had it on copy and paste.

eharmony.com
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    it's a video game, not a dating service.

that said, certainly it's possible to get into a relationship with some fellow gamer. people have met up through much weirder methods than that, and made it work too. just don't assume it'll happen, because that's not what the game is for and that's not why anybody bothers to play it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • bonbonsmalisia
    bonbonsmalisia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    lol u 2 chill, i asked obout ur opinion on relation that happen in game or online lol not to search for a lover or turn pwi to date game lol
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    it's a video game, not a dating service.

that said, certainly it's possible to get into a relationship with some fellow gamer. people have met up through much weirder methods than that, and made it work too. just don't assume it'll happen, because that's not what the game is for and that's not why anybody bothers to play it.

+1

Don't go through the game looking for a relationship, because this isn't a dating service. Play the game, meet new people, get on Skype/Vent, talk it up, etc... If a connection automatically starts from these actions, maybe it will happen (an online relationship). Happens to a lot of people, and real life relationships often form from this.

However, there are so many players under age 18 that run around in the game making "fake relationships" because they are either gold-digging in-game, or trying to fill there empty heart in real life, with a video game lover. Obviously, it's best to not get involved w/ these people. They are the people who tend to ask for your account info, and when your away and they get jealous or upset, they **** your account and take everything, lol.
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    It is possible to start a real life relationship from a game. Watch Second Skin, then you'll know what I'm talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • Talihina - Raging Tide
    Talihina - Raging Tide Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I met my real life boyfriend through PWI. Granted he lives 35 hours away, but we've visited and we've been together for 6 months now.

I don't think it's recommended to go on PWI solely to search for a partner, as people can easily lie, but sometimes you just can't help who you fall in love with. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    and sometimes, that girl is a guy
    just dont take everything at face value
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Skippy - Dreamweaver
    Skippy - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i met my girlfriend in this game,

i knew her for almost 3 years now,

after being married ingame, and spending so much time together, you really get eager to see each other

one thing led to an other, and now we are a RL couple
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Everything can happen, love can bloom anywhere. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • DeathMethod - Harshlands
    DeathMethod - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Didn't a discussion come up 2 months ago on an update page... GM asking whos met love through P.W.I. Alot of people have if you read through the whole thing, They took flights out to see each other and things got serious..... Anything can happen b:pleased
  • Hideori - Lost City
    Hideori - Lost City Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    well if you are over 40 and looking for "girlfriend" so desperately (cause you're maybe fat or something, so you never had one) that you would take anything in any shape... then that may be option for you. like for this guy:
    I'm actually one of those rare ones that actually met my girlfriend in game and it DID develop into a real life affair (meeting in person and such). Although we are both adults and clearly know what we are doing (both over 37).

I did see many "fake" relationships though and that, I agree, is sad.

As for the embrace part, well I will confess, we are in that group. We both know it's a game and we are playing virtual toons, but we both agreed on it. She just brough it to me in a simple way "I already don't like beeing embraced and not be able to do nothing else then move camera, so only one I will allow to, is you"

It's also a trust thing, she often has to go afk whitout notice (mom of 6 kids, yup..) and trusts a lot more going afk in my arms, then in someone's that would go drop her into mobs or whatever, or just bring her flying and lose connection etc...

One her kids actually controled her char one day while she was tending another and set her up in Bb, draingin her mp charm for nothing, so now, when she does go afk, doesn't take risks.. It's in my arms, so she knows where she left her char and where it will be when she comes back..When she does for a short afk, I mainly just read world chat and "steal" kisses b:chuckle

Back on the whole topic of skills vs gear though

My view is :

Gear =/= Pro

"Pro" is when someone knows what all his/her skills does, best situations to use them and also knows most of the bad status/debuffs he/she can receive and how to (mostly) counter them.

lol.

but prepare for great shock when you will see her real face. it may be scary.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    First of all, thanks for the topic.

I don't mind hearing about in-game relationships (I don't believe in it though, too many obscure zones to clear up before it can 'love' eventually be real, unless it's just roleplaying). If it's about people that are already together in life and linked in game, it could be seen as romantic, but it's quite a rarity.

The only things that tend to tick me off more than anything are the mushy lines like 'I love you forever, you are my sunshine' and other idiotic things. If the ones uttering this never met... what is the point? Is it sincere or plain words to try to be poetic and romantic? Sorry, I generally don't utter things I don't believe in.
    And so the worst to my eyes are those who get perverted in world chat, as in 'cybering'. They don't belong in a MMO (there is not even a glimpse of sexuality in this game, save for some minimalistic in-game fashion for females, embracing, emotes and marriage, among others).

So yes, I don't have a very favorable opinion on relationships in PWI. I am not interested in them, I don't seek them. But everyone is free to do how he/she feels it, as long as it is not offensive.

And finally, when it comes to in-game relationships that could become true in reality, I do guess it can exist, but well, it must be very uncommon and needs to be thoroughly checked... Once again, roleplaying and all can mess things up a BIG deal. b:bye

P.S.: I believe much more about friendship than love when it comes to MMOs. I could keep contact with a handful of people from MMOs and they are truly wonderful people from around the world, of various ages. We talked about everything, sometimes serious, sometimes trivial. So yes, it's not an all-negative opinion of mine, eh?
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Solar_one - Sanctuary
    Solar_one - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't ....for me i never started to play this game looking for love was'nt even looking for that in a game but it did find me and my partner i met her here on pw we did a few quests here and there but the more we did the more feelings i started to have we even talked about ingame marriage.

By this stage i knew full well i had very deep feelings about her i even took steps back for a while and i did tell her why i had done this , After a while we started playing together again ( not long i think about a week ) we couldnt stay away from each other .

Few months pass and i could not deny my feelings anymore i loved this woman very deeply
    and i told her how i felt , and she told me that she herself had feelings for me as well.

We had our good times and bad there was a time we didnt talk for a month at one stage which was very hard on us both.

The day we got back to talking to each other again i think we talk for like 12 hours in that one day and every day after we spent most of our time together talking and playing the game .

After a few weeks we decided to give a REAL Relationship a go , Now i live in Australia and she lived in Holland so there was a lot to work out she needed a passport + visa and packing all her belongings.

On the 15th of April this year i flew half way around the world to Holland and we met face to face for the first time ..... We both arrived back in Australia on the 27th of April and we are getting married late this September .

And to her ...... AnimaBlanc I love you more everyday b:kiss
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    To Solar_One:

Congratulations to you, buddy. It's nice to see a true happy end, the rarest and most precious thing that can ever happen in a MMO.
  • Castgurl - Raging Tide
    Castgurl - Raging Tide Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Dude...

I'll be honest, I tried it. Yep, I thought it would be cute and who knows, right?...haha.

And seriously

I'd say don't do it. Some (SOME, okay? You see that word? PURTY ISN'T IT?) people that play this game are probably extremely cool but outside of it, in other words just chatting them up on facebook; they turn into super *** creeps.

It went from the "wizard" being an awesome person to some f'd up, emo, insecured piece of trash that would stalk me non-stop on facebook. Not sure if he still plays but if he does; then wow...

BUT that's just me. Don't flame me if you're in one/thinking of getting into one, I'm just...well I guess 'warning' you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Castgurl.com - Beast Domes comic soon to be under contract.
    People that act tough in this game are the lowest people irl...
    2nd RB Veno 103/TooLazy/TooLazy (I will update.)
    2nd RB Sage Barb - Lrugtasc (Active)
    Youtube/Castgurl - PWI
    Facebook/BeastDomes and you can find it on Google+
    If you flame me or disrespect me I will BL you. No questions asked. b:kiss
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    From the best scenario (Solar_One) to the worst (Castgurl), I feel this thread is really worth reading and pondering about.
  • Solar_one - Sanctuary
    Solar_one - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Dude...

I'll be honest, I tried it. Yep, I thought it would be cute and who knows, right?...haha.

And seriously

I'd say don't do it. Some (SOME, okay? You see that word? PURTY ISN'T IT?) people that play this game are probably extremely cool but outside of it, in other words just chatting them up on facebook; they turn into super *** creeps.

It went from the "wizard" being an awesome person to some f'd up, emo, insecured piece of trash that would stalk me non-stop on facebook. Not sure if he still plays but if he does; then wow...

BUT that's just me. Don't flame me if you're in one/thinking of getting into one, I'm just...well I guess 'warning' you.

I for one fully Agree there are people out there like the .. super *** creeps
    and yes all should be very well warned this sort of thing that should not be taken lightly real life is NOT a game .

My story has a happy ending but a LOT dont and can end very badly

To Castgurl : Sorry to here yours was NOT so good.
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I met someone, been with them for errrr 19 months o.o We plan to meet in real life when money isn't so tight (UK to southern USA kinda costly for me atm b:surrender) and the time is right for real life to allow us. I think it's 100% worth it. But at the same time I know people who are literally scarred because of relationships in game leading to real life in PWI.

While the wonderful can happen, equally the heartbreaking can.
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    well if you are over 40 and looking for "girlfriend" so desperately (cause you're maybe fat or something, so you never had one) that you would take anything in any shape... then that may be option for you. like for this guy:

lol.

but prepare for great shock when you will see her real face. it may be scary.

Well it is certainly nice to see you are looking for a deep and meaningful relationship with a good person whose morals and beliefs resemble your own. Because of course, if he or she is fat...... you know that means they eat kittens and murder small children right! Here's hoping you find an anorexic girlfriend because we all know they are the best and make for the longest relationships.

Oh wait, I bet your under 17? Because this kind of logic makes my skinny butt quiver! b:laugh
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    IMHO it all depends on you, others have met their "loves" on games, but as for me, I find the thought of myself in a real legit relationship over a game kind of silly, but that's kind of my real life stance on the issue as well...so I'd say it is up to you to decide if it is worth it or not.
  • Ashivas - Dreamweaver
    Ashivas - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I met a girl in one of my previous games, though I don't consider it an "online relationship" because we met in real life once we got to know eachother, she's like an hour form my house lol. But yea... If there's no chance of it happening irl, there's no point...

And in retrospect, I regret ever meeting her >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ashura Tyrant you foul mouthed little boy! I must keel yew nao =3
    edited August 2011
    I met a girl in one of my previous games, though I don't consider it an "online relationship" because we met in real life once we got to know eachother, she's like an hour form my house lol. But yea... If there's no chance of it happening irl, there's no point...

Was she fat?
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Was she fat?

LOL!! b:chuckle
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited August 2011

Adam's apple?

And...

PWI would be a great dating service if they allowed *** couples. b:avoid But no, they're homophobic communists (Wanmei), so that will never happen, even though PWE is located in California. Oh, wait, they banned *** marriage too. >_> Guess it'll never happen anyway.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
    edited August 2011
    Adam's apple?

And...

PWI would be a great dating service if they allowed *** couples. b:avoid But no, they're homophobic communists (Wanmei), so that will never happen, even though PWE is located in California. Oh, wait, they banned *** marriage too. >_> Guess it'll never happen anyway.
    Wtf does communism have to do with ***/straight relations. And how does *** marriage translate directly to "excellent dating service" especially when we are talking about a game set in Chinese mythology.

And about the fat thing, I asked that because that's actually a big possible Rl relationship breaker in game according to my guy friends, lol, terrible yes I know.
  • Hideori - Lost City
    Hideori - Lost City Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Well it is certainly nice to see you are looking for a deep and meaningful relationship with a good person whose morals and beliefs resemble your own. Because of course, if he or she is fat...... you know that means they eat kittens and murder small children right! Here's hoping you find an anorexic girlfriend because we all know they are the best and make for the longest relationships.

Oh wait, I bet your under 17? Because this kind of logic makes my skinny butt quiver! b:laugh

so you are fat?
    And about the fat thing, I asked that because that's actually a big possible Rl relationship breaker in game according to my guy friends, lol, terrible yes I know.

it's not terrible it's natural. you dont want fat boyfrend too. nobody wants.
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i couldnt care less if people hooked up on pwi, met in RL, dated, got married, had babies, etc.

now these days its a very VERY common thing to meet and hook up with another person on the internet. i would say a few years ago it would have been shunned upon, but now with all these dating sites everywhere, even ones for certain religions and of course for those who arent straight, it makes the internet dating world even more possible to find a match, and also a very popular method.

like said previously though, PW isnt intended as a dating service, but it IS an mmo - meaning multi online - people from around the world interacting with other people, therefor, meeting other people and most likely engaging in friendships and further relationships.

i couldnt care less (again) if someone hooked up with another person on PW. and i for one dont think it is a bad thing.
    it's not terrible it's natural. you dont want fat boyfrend too. nobody wants.
    actually ... i wouldnt mind if my man were a little hefty XD nothin wrong with some fat on a guy. and a lot of guys also love curvy women as well. not everyone in this world wants just skinny people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    actually ... i wouldnt mind if my man were a little hefty XD nothin wrong with some fat on a guy. and a lot of guys also love curvy women as well. not everyone in this world wants just skinny people.

It's sad, when I talk to my American girlfriend, people in the USA, particularly guys, are brought up and educated, and see on tv, what a "good looking" person is meant to look like. It's totally wrong. Swear I'm like the only guy in the world sometimes that hates these size 0 skinny blonde model looking woman, and prefers someone with curves and whatnot b:surrender
  • Shayd - Raging Tide
    Shayd - Raging Tide Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    A lot of people are in relationship irl and pwi, personally i think of marriage packs as a waste of money, some use them just for marriage quest. Others fall for each other, but it's still online relationship. I'm not marrying my char with any other even i feel lonely questing. So that's my opinion, it is just for fun
    Mystic: 99 lvl (Main)
    Psychic: 96 lvl (Alt)
    Assassin: 78 lvl (Retired)
    Cleric: 75 lvl (Retired)

Big bumpy ride since 2008
  • FierceKichi - Harshlands
    FierceKichi - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I saw this topic and got curious and had to read it. I met this guy on a prev game and we started talking a lot. Added each other on msn and had video convos and everything. He was really sweet and we started dating even tho he stays in Canada and I stay in the US. Now 4 years later we are engaged and expecting a child hopefully :D I never intended on meeting a guy on a game. When I play i just simply want to be the best at wat I am doing and meeting a guy is the last thing on my mind. :D >>>>>>Now I have seen the bad side of people meeting others online...I was friends with this guy on Lost City Server and he was playing a veno pretending to be a girl to get guys to do stuff for him in game....and sadly one guy actually was fallin in love with him....tried to convince this guy that, now my ex friend, was really a guy but he did not want to hear of it and said I was stupid and jealous. So sometimes meeting some1 online can have its rewards and at the same time it can have its serious downsides. Don't play online games to meet some1. That is not what this game or any other online game is for.
This discussion has been closed.