Scamming Trash!!

Options

Comments

• Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    ...and this is exactly what sets the stage for a scam. Self interest and due diligence are always the watchwords of the panda's day.

I know but unlike most I pay attention to how much I am paying for what I am buying before I buy it :p RS scams will do that do you (how I hope that game name isn't bleeped out)

Like this one time I was about to buy those stones and I noticed instead of the usual 73k I had to pay for them it was like 400k so I looked through the stones and noticed they were selling some for a way big price like 73k each themselves. I bought the ones that were cheap and bought the rest somewhere else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CheetahWoods - Raging Tide
    CheetahWoods - Raging Tide Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i think "stupid" isnt the correct word for someone who isnt aware.

they need education. call them green or newbie or maybe even ignorant of the situation out there.

some get burned to learn(call that tuition to the school of life)
    some actually read and heed advice of those burned before them and go out watching for that stuff.

scammers get outed and for sure go on a list i have on paper. well, they r screwed if they ever need something from me.

without repeating a bunch of really solid advice already posted, the only thing i wish to reinforce is to move slowly during a transaction. count the zeros, maybe twice. as mentioned, look each item over, especially before you hit the second commit. it is yours at that point, so relax, and look it over slowly.

anyone being really pushy (lol like the auctioneer's totally bogus scamfriendly advice lolfail) and trying to rush the sale should draw an automatic yellow flag. stuff in and out of trade, hold on a minute while i...yada yada..NO. just kill the thing and restate the terms of what you are expecting.

it's your exchange, manage it tight.
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So you expect the GM's to be available 24/7 to protect the players from themselves?

As Fuzzy stated, isn't your common sense supposed to help you along those lines as well, or should every mistake you make, foolish or no, be corrected for you?

Yes I actually do that's their job isn't it? Isn't that what we are paying this so-called Perfect Wrecked Individuals for?

and there is only one foolish people on here, and that's the devs because they are doing much poorly on this game, than the people on World Of War-Craft are doing a 24/7 round the clock service to help players, not let scammers scam them....common sense is when a gm is needed, then do the right job correctly.
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The bottom line, as far as Fuzzy is concerned is PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING/BUYING/SELLING!!!!

There are many icons that are similar in the game, no question. Does that make it ok for someone to sell a useless DQ item for 30m and portray it as an ornament insignia? Ofcourse not!! See it? Screen shot it and report it.

The bottome line however, is that be it a common shard for crazy stone, a token of best luck, a lunar weapon insignia, a frost weapon, et all... take that extra 2 seconds, hover your mouse above what it is you are about to pay millions for and verify that it item is indeed what you expect.

There is no better action than the 2 seconds it takes to verify the item is legit.

IF IT ISN'T, SCREENSHOT AND REPORT IT
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The bottom line, as far as Fuzzy is concerned is PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING/BUYING/SELLING!!!!

There are many icons that are similar in the game, no question. Does that make it ok for someone to sell a useless DQ item for 30m and portray it as an ornament insignia? Ofcourse not!! See it? Screen shot it and report it.

The bottome line however, is that be it a common shard for crazy stone, a token of best luck, a lunar weapon insignia, a frost weapon, et all... take that extra 2 seconds, hover your mouse above what it is you are about to pay millions for and verify that it item is indeed what you expect.

There is no better action than the 2 seconds it takes to verify the item is legit.

I agree with the panda the panda knows what he is talking about b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver
    ZodiarkE - Dreamweaver Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

That is very true, but still the scammer's should be punished.
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That is very true, but still the scammer's should be punished.

Um not to be Captain obvious but isn't that what you are reporting him to do? You like know they do get banned right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • L_y_n_x - Raging Tide
    L_y_n_x - Raging Tide Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yes I actually do that's their job isn't it? Isn't that what we are paying this so-called Perfect Wrecked Individuals for?

and there is only one foolish people on here, and that's the devs because they are doing much poorly on this game, than the people on World Of War-Craft are doing a 24/7 round the clock service to help players, not let scammers scam them....common sense is when a gm is needed, then do the right job correctly.

Sorry to tell you, but the game u mention is completly pay tp play, a fee per month, huge revenue.

This is a FREE to play game with possibility to pay for "extras".

I'm siding with the GM's/dev's/community managers/Mods, whoever on this..

If I recall right, forums mods do this of their free will and "I think" some aren't even payed to do it but give their free time to try to understand and help people out.

You cannot ask them to be 24/7 trying to fix things if they have no pay for it..

Would you do it ?

I'll stop posting..That trololo whatever guy put me in a bad mood with all those necro threads popping up.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'll stop posting..That trololo whatever guy put me in a bad mood with all those necro threads popping up.

You aren't the only one.b:angry
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That trololo whatever guy put me in a bad mood with all those necro threads popping up.

It just saddens me I liked the titles of those threads I wanted to post in them but they were necros and I shouldn't post in necros b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PearlBreeze - Raging Tide
    PearlBreeze - Raging Tide Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

Fuzzy honestly ,no its not youre fold cuz ure a just a GM .

b:laugh

Im srry but when it hapends to you a GM isent that a sign that the game need more updates to prevent that ,let me call on summithing very easy to do .Change the friking icons.b:thanksb:thanksb:thanks OMG lol

The sign here if it hapends to you it can hapend to anyone prevent that or at least try too.

I know u can not prevent all scams ,but come on this is an easy one lol.

This is exactly what people mean by manetaining a game lol.
    Make it better learn from new happenings lol .

omg

But i think they wont change icons or at least the color of it .SO u can prefend that.Or make 1 stone for lowr stone and if its for gear lvl 4 put 4 in it .easy as hell.

The point no u dont have to solve all ,why cuz u cant.But really maitenance sucks on this game.There are a lot of things can be prevented.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i think "stupid" isnt the correct word for someone who isnt aware.

they need education. call them green or newbie or maybe even ignorant of the situation out there.

some get burned to learn(call that tuition to the school of life)
    some actually read and heed advice of those burned before them and go out watching for that stuff.

scammers get outed and for sure go on a list i have on paper. well, they r screwed if they ever need something from me.

without repeating a bunch of really solid advice already posted, the only thing i wish to reinforce is to move slowly during a transaction. count the zeros, maybe twice. as mentioned, look each item over, especially before you hit the second commit. it is yours at that point, so relax, and look it over slowly.

anyone being really pushy (lol like the auctioneer's totally bogus scamfriendly advice lolfail) and trying to rush the sale should draw an automatic yellow flag. stuff in and out of trade, hold on a minute while i...yada yada..NO. just kill the thing and restate the terms of what you are expecting.

it's your exchange, manage it tight.

I so tatally agree with you b:victory great advice too to all the kids !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You know the fuzzy panda isn't a GM right? He is a mod GMs are red he is teal....greenish you know it doesn't matter his powers extend to closing forum topics and editing out bad words.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You know the fuzzy panda isn't a GM right? He is a mod GMs are red he is teal....greenish you know it doesn't matter his powers extend to closing forum topics and editing out bad words.

My bad thank you for pointing that out !! b:chuckleb:bye

So srry fuzzy mods cant do anything in game but they can point it out to people,

Let me ask this did u put in a ticket on that scam fuz ? And did it make things better ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    .Change the friking icons.b:thanksb:thanksb:thanks OMG lol

Sure, change the icons.. not a bad suggestion, not one Fuzzy hasn't heard before.

But...

When it comes to this type of scam, how about putting the responsibilty on the player to pay attention to what they buy instead if saying its PWI's fault since the item they spend a gazillion coin on looks similar to another that isn;t worth the same?

A little self responsibility goes a long way in a 20mil coin transaction....
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • apex1predator
    apex1predator Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    We had a scammer selling deicides then switching for some silly npc wep. I believe he/she/it scammed at least 10 people before the accountname dropped from WC. The deicides that were being sold have never came up since then.

I think that people doing this should be banned. Its easy for a gm to pull up the ip do a comparision(this will take 5mins, max) and then ban the main account.
    Scamming is something that is frowned upon in all games yet GM's/devs cant be arsed to do a bit of work to rid the game of the scammers.
  • SQUISHKASS - Sanctuary
    SQUISHKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I can't stand some of these thieves that prey on unsuspecting honest people! I see scumbag low lifes scamming almost every day in the middle of W.Arch, and it really ticks me off!! I think there should be a harsher penalty for people who are caught or reported scamming. For example, my friend saw a guy selling a (2 soc) +5 Goernox for only 750k. He Traded the guy making the mistake of not checking the icon to see if it was the same weap that was origionally linked and ended up with some low level npc material junk! Another friend of mine fell for a scam giving some girl his pants so that she could "dye them white or black." Yes, it was not wise for him to fall for the scam, but it doesn't make it right! He never saw his pants after that! Another classic scammer in W.Arch was the Blue Nix scammer. She used 2 different names one wanting to trade things like stone of the savent for a blue nix and the other name was selling blue nix for like 20 mil. Then there was Crazy Stone scammer - I fell for that one! They over charge on one stone. It's just sad that people pull this b:fatb - GMs please crack down on these thieves. b:angry

The 1st person probably got scammed cause he was too much in a hurry to trade the seller, hoping he would not change his mind to sell the "cheap item" & he would end up getting a good deal.

I'm not sure who the scammer here is, the seller who changed the items or the greedy buyer hoping the other was a nub who'd give him an expensive item for cheap.

When a +20m item is being sold for -1m... You should be concerned there is smth wrong there...
  • SoIotude - Sanctuary
    SoIotude - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Rage moar.

Stupid people deserve to get scammed.

Does this mean that you as poster of this ridiculous reply, deserve to be scammed?
    If yes, i agree.
  • snufalufaguss
    snufalufaguss Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Rage moar.

So if a person has been scammed, the best course of action would be to brand them an idiot and tell them they deserve it?

I am just trying to take notes on PWI etiquette so I can learn to fit in with all you rude SOBs.
  • Skulla - Dreamweaver
    Skulla - Dreamweaver Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bernie, you're just angry cuz ur wife left you. Go back to your cell and play with yourself.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Sure, change the icons.. not a bad suggestion, not one Fuzzy hasn't heard before.

But...

When it comes to this type of scam, how about putting the responsibilty on the player to pay attention to what they buy instead if saying its PWI's fault since the item they spend a gazillion coin on looks similar to another that isn;t worth the same?

A little self responsibility goes a long way in a 20mil coin transaction....

How about changing the way the game plays. i.e: Shops with descriptions that JUST POP UP don't save the details unless your investigating the interior b:thanks.

Prevention is better than cure I've said it before,, I'll say it again. The easiest way to make a game scam proof (but not stupid proof) is to have descriptions on things/items that are easily accessible. So players can see what they're buying. The AMOUNT, The PRICE, The ITEM, The DESCRIPTION in a line just like in this sentence. Problem solved scammers move on, life goes on.

Defensive gameplay design #101.

Give the player differrent options to arrange the GUI to their liking. Sure there is LOTS of customisation already in PWI but WHAT IF you could change the way you viewed Cat Shops or even trade windows instead of viewing them llike:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

and make them become viiewed like

[ Item ] [ Amount ] [ Price ]

The => Auction House <= has no trouble spitting out this format and players spend a lot of time in front of the NPCs that harbour this anti scamming wonder machine. That lists all manner of prices from scrolls to perfect stone. On the bright hand side It IS ALSO a good price guide -- in some cases where you can find a price. If you don't have the AH resource. Ask your guild mates or in world chat or a PC (Price Check)

Why can't you (PWI) do the same thing or HAVE AN OPTION for people to view CAT SHOPS the SAME WAY (like the auction house). A simple change of the game, changes the psychology of the game forcing players into doing simpler scams which involve the older methods like "If you drop this while, we're in party and then try to pick it up again it will become +5." who with half a smart grey sponge is going to fall for that one considering there are quite a few items in the game that are bound once worn or alternatively that the game encourages PVPers to BIND their items so they won't lose them.

It reminds me of a similar topic relating to Occupational Health and Safety. Over the years I've been witness to construction sites, electrical switchboard tagging (one time I worked as an electrical trade's assistant), defense contracts and warehousing operations and they have OH&S it teaches prevention instead of death to the impunity (I would say or ignorance, but I'll let you make up your mind) when a wrong step could be your last, touching the wrong connection could be 40,000 vaults or the wonders of running motors/air compressors of all things in "tight spaces".

We have a look out man or a point man. Sure we could adopt a program here through the guild's we as people create, but more over being market alert to the prices of some items is also sometimes a help. Is the item rightly priced? Is it really under-priced for a reason? Do I trust this person? Have I met them?

Questions are another form of scammer counter: Why are you selling it? Where did you get it? and not jumping the gun when purchasing items also counter certain aspects of the mental trickster. Impulse buying versus market specualtion are another way of avoiding the platitude of losing currency into thin air.

Do I really desperately need this item now? Can I wait, I do have a lot of time even if I only play 4 to 5 hours a day? Can I buy this myself in the near future? are other questions that avoid the status of sucker.

Also knowledge will set you free, when knowing and we've got a hell of a lot of resources for learning about PW:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Main_Page
    http://pwiguides.guildlaunch.com/custom.php?page_id=76224&gid=165743
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/

To name a few. Just my two cents on the scam thing. But even I get tired cause I'm only a kitten.

Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The problem isn't so much cat-shops (though things like the token of (best) luck *is* a problem, and the description thing wouldn't solve it without better item descriptions too)

The problem is player-trades, where a good item is offered, then switched out for a bad item.

The proposed fix would help there too, though.

The scammers, however, would move on to other things - like the "I will dye your clothes for you" one. I've had that tried on me whilst I was wearing my tiny-tiger alt who has the untradable anniversary set, which I found amusing.

In general we REALLY need a lot more people with the power to ban these scum. And even then, caveat emptor applies. If you're stupid enough to give things to people just because they ask, well, you'd better burn everything that comes through your letter box and never walk down the street and...
  • DarkPlaces - Harshlands
    DarkPlaces - Harshlands Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Meh. Of course one has to pay attention what one is doing/ buying/ paying for. But, it's also rather cheap to blame the scammed person for being an idiot. It's also somewhat cynical to present this as an opportunity to learn (which it is, actually, but this is not the point).

Nobody really asks for 24/7 presence, although in my opinion PWE could afford that easily with their huge player base, of which a good part is charging I am sure. What if the GMs actually walked through arch every few hours and checked for scams? Is that too much to ask?

The problem is that PWE doesn't give a ****. As long as the scammers don't threaten PWE's revenue, PWE won't do anything.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I want to share a story of someone I known which used to play another MMORPG.

He once got scammed on day,he tried to get help from GMs,providing some screenshots too,but in the end he was left alone and quitted after a short while.
    The scam whom he fell,was quite common(Trade/Switching Items scam),so you can call him stupid if you want.

But what's my point?
    This person charged about 200 USD in 2 years of playing,and if GM would have helped him,he may have played for another 2 years and maybe charged another 200 USD or more.
    So basically the company who ran that game lost a potential customer for a crappy customer service(And for his customer's dumbness if you want to add).

So its not a matter of charity or sympathy over the random dumbass player,its a matter of plain business.
    Im pretty sure that with a better customer service players would ALSO charge $$ more willingly.
    So give me a reason why a company should not help those stupid/naive/addanotheradjective players that can give a potential profit?
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    He never saw his pants after that!

LOL. Come on... whose fault is that.

I would ****ing reward the girl who took his pants... it just doesn't get any better then this.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The problem isn't so much cat-shops (though things like the token of (best) luck *is* a problem, and the description thing wouldn't solve it without better item descriptions too)

Tokens were already re-branded. Are people STILL falling for this?
    The problem is player-trades, where a good item is offered, then switched out for a bad item.

The proposed fix would help there too, though.

There's a really easy fix for this type of scam. Just hover over the item and check it before you confirm. I know, it's groundbreaking! Imagine if you didn't rush through things, how easily this is avoided. :D

And @Kiyoshi, I also found that to be absolutely hilarious.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • ShinSein - Harshlands
    ShinSein - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I want to share a story of someone I known which used to play another MMORPG.

He once got scammed on day,he tried to get help from GMs,providing some screenshots too,but in the end he was left alone and quitted after a short while.
    The scam whom he fell,was quite common(Trade/Switching Items scam),so you can call him stupid if you want.

But what's my point?
    This person charged about 200 USD in 2 years of playing,and if GM would have helped him,he may have played for another 2 years and maybe charged another 200 USD or more.
    So basically the company who ran that game lost a potential customer for a crappy customer service(And for his customer's dumbness if you want to add).

So its not a matter of charity or sympathy over the random dumbass player,its a matter of plain business.
    Im pretty sure that with a better customer service players would ALSO charge $$ more willingly.
    So give me a reason why a company should not help those stupid/naive/addanotheradjective players that can give a potential profit?

b:thanks
    [SIGPIC]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/ZeroAngel08/Shinsein.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks goes to Dorset!
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

ShinSein - Harshlands (Alt/Main)
    Shinsetsu - Lothranis (French Main)
    +Bring sexy back - Complete b:victory
  • O_O - Lothranis
    O_O - Lothranis Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ooooo so that's how they do it.

*Evil Grin* b:sin

Time to get rich
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If you can take two seconds to see if you are texting the right person, you can take two seconds to see if you are buying the right thing.

Bad people will be every where you turn, being stupid will only lead to stupid decisions.

Want more?

GMs will not reimburse you for being a dumbass and not double checking things. Did your mum drop you on the head when you were a baby? "QQ I screwed up, now I must cry to authority and hope they do something about my stupidity." Go drink some Smart Water

You gonna sue L.G. (or whoever makes your stove) because you turned your stove on and then burnt your fingers on it because you didn't think it would be hot?

You people are becoming more and more like that lady that sued McDonalds cus her coffee burned her because it was "hot".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • ThunderFleas - Archosaur
    ThunderFleas - Archosaur Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I will add to this and say, yes, scams are getting out of control. There was a "person" in West Arch earlier today scamming people with "promotionals". Told people that if they bought all of their tulips they'd receive a barb/veno Beetle Mount free, and that if people bought all their Ligum Wood, they'd get a free scarlet fruit. The prices didn't seem too bad, so I bought the items, and they kept stalling when it came time to give the "promotionals". So when they finally came over to where they were supposed to give me the items, they asked how many coins I had left, and I told a white lie and said, "I have about 150k coins left, not much"; to which they tried claiming they were making a video to promote their guild, and in order to get the mount and fruit, I had to spend the "rest of my 150k" on items in their shop. To which I said, "how about this, you give me the mount and fruit, and I'll do you a favor and buy 150k more worth of stuff"; they kept trying to jerk me around, and finally said, "sorry then, deal is off", at which point I said, "well, I hope you know I've screenshotted this and will have to report you", they told me to go ahead and do that, then signed out.

It's too bad we can't mention players names, because I really wish I could warn people of who this person is before they try to rip off anybody else and take them for every single coin they have. I did screenshot it as I said, and submitted a ticket. Thankfully, what I bought to "earn the promotionals" came to about 75-100k, of which wasn't "too bad" compared to what I had left... just a shame they try to trick you into a promotional and then have "strings attached" to try and swindle you out of ALL your coins... thankfully I figured the original investment wasn't that bad... and truth be told, I would have felt better if they just took the money and ran, rather than come back and try to leech me for more... was a real slap in the face, to have them tell me the deal was off when they already promised the "promotional" items. Then to run like a coward the way they did. Just hope that justice gets served and they get theirs... I truly do... at least before they majorly rip off and swindle anybody/somebody else.

b:sad

PS - Ignore my user icon, I'm actually lvl48, not sure why it won't update and keeps showing me as lvl8. :/
This discussion has been closed.