Do All Cash Shop Haters Simply Not Have a Life?

rgog
rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
I keep hearing people go nuts about people that cash shop saying all types of nasty things.

Here is how I see it. If I go out to a movie it cost $10 plus another $7 for popcorn and a drink, roughly $20 for a couple of hours of entertainment and a snack. I make more than $25 an hour at my day job and do some freelance on the side for a couple of hundred bucks a month.

So instead of spending my gaming time farming the same monsters or instances over and over so I can sell stuff and maybe make a few million, I buy an average of $20 of gold a month. Now I am not saying I play PW instead of going to a move every couple of weeks or out to dinner with friends/GF but I am just putting the cost of other entertainment which most people don't blink an eye at into perspecitve.

So it comes down to this.

Are all the cash shop haters just jealous?

If you really believe in your heart-of-hearts that a F2P game should only be played free then why would you curse out cash shoppers because they are the ones paying for your free play.

Why do some free players pretend they are better or more committed to a game because they don't cash shop. I personally see it as them having too much time on their hands if they want to waste hour upon hour farming.

Bottom line is everyone should play how they want and for their own reasons....if you hate something about the game, just quit and move on. Why come to the forums and whine about.
Post edited by rgog on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    As near as I can tell...
    The majority of the cash shop haters are those that either
    A. don't play enough to farm/merchant the coin/gold in-game without using the cash shop. or
    B. Are too stupid to figure out that that works.

I don't spend money in the game and I do just fine. I have 4 main characters and 3 alts. I don't clain to have super uber gear, but that's mostly because I don't feel like spending that kind of coin. My gear isn't lame or normal though, it's pretty decent considering that it's farmed.

Sure sometimes I'll throw a few bucks at PWE so I can get something special from the cash shop. Like you said, it's like going out to a movie, buying that nice hat you saw at the store, ect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rgog
    edited August 2011
    don't play enough to farm/merchant the coin/gold in-game without using the cash shop

I just don't get that. If your play time is limited to say 10 hours a week why would you want to spend 2, 3 or more hours per week farming? As it is, it can take half an hour just to get a group together and going....
  • Blaydewind - Raging Tide
    Blaydewind - Raging Tide Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I hear ya. b:sweat Some people use games like this much like competitive FPS players. It's an activity in which some want to express pride in completing "unique" tasks that sets them above other players according to a specific standard such as gear, play skill, etc. Compare this to a guy that builds his own car against another person who buys a nice car because they can afford it. In either case, both are satisfied with what they have obtained whether it was through manual labor on the final product or alternative labor that rewards the final product.

I also think part of the reason cash shoppers get flamed is due to the "spoiled" players. The usual case is some young player has his/her parent(s) buy them what they want and they have the nerve to brag to the other players about what cool gear they have. There's a fine line between pride for your work and being handed rewards on a silver platter. This is likely where the jealousy comes from.

In any case, I personally try not to let this issue bother me too much. This will probably end up being troll bait of some sort as this is the internet, after all. This issue is just a result of ignorance from multiple angles. I just want to play the game for casual fun with people whose focus is the same -- nothing more, nothing less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    rgog wrote: »
    I just don't get that. If your play time is limited to say 10 hours a week why would you want to spend 2, 3 or more hours per week farming? As it is, it can take half an hour just to get a group together and going....

Setting up my merchant shop took me about 3 hours of farming to get the initial coin, then the rest of it was just leaving a catshop up when I wasn't playing sometimes. If you trade the right items, you'll make money and you don't have to spend a lot of time tinkering with the shop.

You're not going to make millions overnight, but if you take the time to set it up, it can become quite a steady income, leaving you free to do what you want when you are online.

If you are unable to do that, fine. If your gameplay is limited to 5-10 hours a week, you likely aren't worrying much about having the uber stuff that you "need" the cash shop to get.

The main idea is behind my thinking is this....
    • If you are a serious player, you use the cash shop. It simplifies things, and you can make good in-game coin if you use it to merchant as well.
    • If you are a regular casual player, (10+ hours a week), and don't want to spend cash on the game, it is not hard to farm/merchant what you need in part of your time online.
    • If you are a light casual player, (-10 hours a week), the above still applies, you will just rely more on the merchanting side than the farming side.

for the webgods.... if you have a LIST function in the WYSIWG, it should actually work. fix the code please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    no one has any issue with those who spend $20 a month

its more the issue with people who buy themselves rank 9, and then also gloat about how amazing they are

if you buy rank 9, then go about your business, or even pk, but then act like you have been there before, and dont act like your so special, no one cares, and in fact, we are happy you spend that money, it means we dont have to

that being said, i am proud that i can outfit my character well without cashshopping, but there is nothing wrong doing it

oh, hi Len b:bye
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Here is how I see it. If I go out to a movie it cost $10 plus another $7 for popcorn and a drink, roughly $20 for a couple of hours of entertainment and a snack.

First off, just want to say that I would love to find a place around here where the movies are that cheap. b:chuckle

I CS so that I can spend my time in game doing things that I want to do. It's not that I lack game time, I just simply would rather go play something else than spend my time farming instances for drops. I hate farming instances. The drops are never guaranteed for the time put in, and I could always think of more entertaining ways I could be spending my time.

That isn't to say I don't farm instances for mats; I have no trouble helping friends farm mats for their gear. I just never do it for me. That way, the drops I end up walking out with are irrelevant, since I personally didn't need anything at all.

I also personally do not care how much or how little anyone else spends on the game. The only thing that ever annoys me is when people know I CS and try to bug me to buy them stuff, but then again, no one really likes beggars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    You pay $7 for a bag of heated corn kernels?
  • Biatch_ - Harshlands
    Biatch_ - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    some ppl farm ingame who got the time and some ppl farm irl who dont have the time to farm ingame so it comes down to the same thing.b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanx Jean for the siggib:kiss
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Who cares what people do with their money. b:shutup
    I never set catshop or even create mass alt, or farming, only AH trading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Sir_Puma - Raging Tide
    Sir_Puma - Raging Tide Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2011

its more the issue with people who buy themselves rank 9, and then also gloat about how amazing they are

if you buy rank 9, then go about your business, or even pk, but then act like you have been there before, and dont act like your so special, no one cares, and in fact, we are happy you spend that money, it means we dont have to

that being said, i am proud that i can outfit my character well without cashshopping, but there is nothing wrong doing it

+1

It's kinda my point of view. Someone that puts 20-50 per month and goes about his buisness, who cares.

It's more those that can put 1000 per month and then point at those who don't work cause they can't for different reasons saying "haha ur just a piece of sh.it" when in fact (not all of them, some of them) are actually much worse players and just rely on auto-attacking and call that "skill"

b:bye
    Proud supporter of the new expansion. Sure it has it's share of bugs, like any games. But for a pure farmer/grinder, that's a whole lot of new mobs to go beat up b:chuckle
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    +1
    It's more those that can put 1000 per month and then point at those who don't work cause they can't for different reasons saying "haha ur just a piece of sh.it" when in fact (not all of them, some of them) are actually much worse players and just rely on auto-attacking and call that "skill"

b:bye

IMHO people who think their ability to spend money makes them better than other people probably have low self-worth and should be pitied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I personally agree with all your points. I've made posts on this very subject that are almost identical to the one you made (down to the movies metaphor).

But I think people don't begrudge people like you and I who buy $20ish a month. They dislike the people who are willing to spend ~$2k on a game for the best gear.
    It sucks when people spend that much because obviously if you want to be as well geared, you have to spend just as much. And even if you can afford it, they've set the bar higher than you're willing to go for the sake of a video game.

Point is if the mega csers didn't cs that much, the rest of us wouldn't have to either in order to keep up.
  • rgog
    edited August 2011
    You pay $7 for a bag of heated corn kernels?

Ya popcorn and drink combo is like $7-$8, me and 100 million other people sometimes do it.
    I CS so that I can spend my time in game doing things that I want to do.

Yes my time has a value, so if it takes me 3 hours to farm to TT's and get 2 million worth of items I much rather take 6 minutes of my work time pay and use that.

That I agree is annyoing but that is what blocklist is for.
    But I think people don't begrudge people like you and I who buy $20ish a month. They dislike the people who are willing to spend ~$2k on a game for the best gear.

That makes sense but I guess there are people that $20 to us is like $2,000 to them, pocket change. Then I hear some people from India saying the are lucky to spend $20 a year on the game, so it is all in perspective I guess.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I think it's more of a thing where more people dislike that PWI allows you to purchase so much power rather than disliking the cash shoppers themselves. I understand you worked hard for that money, probably harder than the person who played video games all day despite how some like to martyr themselves because all of their gear is farmed. But at the same time, they have a very legitimate point. Working hard in one thing does not mean you worked hard for something else. If you just started a new company and then got promoted within a week to a management position over someone who has worked hard for the company for years, just because you slipped the person making the hiring decisions a 20 that would make people rightfully angry. And yeah, you may have had a harder job than that person who worked at that fictional company in question. But that doesn't you worked hard at that company and it would be grossly unfair. And that's kinda what PWI does, it shoots you to the top of list over people who have worked hard for years if your willing to pay for it.

I think that it's important for the company to have a cash shop though. It's that revenue that keeps the game free to play and they should absolutely be catering to some extent to the cash players since they are the ones that are their true customers in the sense of giving them revenue that can help them pay their bills. Not just theoretical word of mouth (and c'mon a lot of the people who make this argument also have fake fbs for their jones blessings because they aren't really spreading the word about the game to everyone they know.) I just think they've blown it out of proportion and made it far too easy to buy power. Which was fine when the players themselves could serve as middlemen and use the money they earned to catch up so that a cash shoppers and f2p players power distance weren't so greatly exaggerated, even if the cs did still have a slight advantage. It was nothing that couldn't be overcome with skill and patience. Now the gap is wider than it's ever been and people are mad because it's becoming nearly impossible to catch up for the average f2p who doesn't have the processing power to merchant all the time or the time to farm the money.

It's a complex issue that is certainly more than just "f2p players are just jealous," or "cash players are just spoiled brats."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Susamajii - Lost City
    Susamajii - Lost City Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Time is money.

If I spend money on the game to save myself time in the long run I am saving myself money. b:kiss
    Push me,
    And then just touch me.
    Tilll I get my,
    Satisfaction.
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Cash Shops selling power and power leveling, combined with glitches and places like FC, have all but eliminated team leveling in PW. That sucks. When people say CS they also mean paying other players for power leveling, basically the whole pay for power theme.

If you are a new player, and you try and play the game the way it is described in the PW Wiki, ie. leveling off quests, FBs, and BH, you are in for a rude shock. There is virtually no one available to team with for these. There is no one to team with because the potential team mates have either quit because they don't want to pay to level or they have adopted the pay to level game style and therefore bypass the whole team leveling scene.

Yes, team leveling is are still possible, but they are on life support, with them being possible only if you first get into a faction and can pester enough high-levels into dragging a few lowbies through the instances in semi-team play. A group of new 20-30's running FBs' by themselves is history. That is a shame for those of us that came to this game expecting team based leveling.

PW seems to have lost all balance, heavily tipping towards power leveling and beating the game as fast as possible.

Methinks that some people here are just a little bit too thin skinned and sensitive, and even a bit guilty about their adoption of this game style and hence the tendency to lash out at anyone with extreme prejudice that questions the new status quo. That and I would not put it past a dev sock-puppet or two to be defensive about their design choices.
    Just some guy
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Lost City
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I keep hearing people go nuts about people that cash shop saying all types of nasty things.

Here is how I see it. If I go out to a movie it cost $10 plus another $7 for popcorn and a drink, roughly $20 for a couple of hours of entertainment and a snack. I make more than $25 an hour at my day job and do some freelance on the side for a couple of hundred bucks a month.

So instead of spending my gaming time farming the same monsters or instances over and over so I can sell stuff and maybe make a few million, I buy an average of $20 of gold a month. Now I am not saying I play PW instead of going to a move every couple of weeks or out to dinner with friends/GF but I am just putting the cost of other entertainment which most people don't blink an eye at into perspecitve.

If you really believe in your heart-of-hearts that a F2P game should only be played free then why would you curse out cash shoppers because they are the ones paying for your free play.

Why do some free players pretend they are better or more committed to a game because they don't cash shop. I personally see it as them having too much time on their hands if they want to waste hour upon hour farming.

Bottom line is everyone should play how they want and for their own reasons....if you hate something about the game, just quit and move on. Why come to the forums and whine about.

TL;DR

Anyways... We hate cash shoppers because when we play casually, maybe an hour a day, We leave SZ and get one shotted by some no-life who dumped $1000 in the game in one go. We have to put in FAR more effort to even come close to someone who can gain billions in minutes. In short Free to play has the short end of the stick. If you even try telling me otherwise you need to go spend your money betterb:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Facebook.com/tangyfox
    EX Legendary on Sanctuary
    Moved to LC to PK
  • Sir_Puma - Raging Tide
    Sir_Puma - Raging Tide Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I think it's more of a thing where more people dislike that PWI allows you to purchase so much power rather than disliking the cash shoppers themselves.

Agree on this point.

I think that it's important for the company to have a cash shop though. It's that revenue that keeps the game free to play and they should absolutely be catering to some extent to the cash players since they are the ones that are their true customers in the sense of giving them revenue that can help them pay their bills.

Again, agreed :)

I just think they've blown it out of proportion and made it far too easy to buy power. . Now the gap is wider than it's ever been and people are mad because it's becoming nearly impossible to catch up for the average f2p who doesn't have the processing power to merchant all the time or the time to farm the money.

Totally full of truth

It's a complex issue that is certainly more than just "f2p players are just jealous," or "cash players are just spoiled brats."

I respect when someone describes things this way :) b:victory
    Proud supporter of the new expansion. Sure it has it's share of bugs, like any games. But for a pure farmer/grinder, that's a whole lot of new mobs to go beat up b:chuckle
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2011

People dislike cash shoppers not for the fact that they cash shop. It's what you use those millions for.

Considering your join date, you weren't here when this game was stable. There's a corollary to "free to play" that states "pay to win," but this game didn't start out that way. We didn't have incredible gears that no one in their right mind would want to farm with pure time input. We didn't have gears that half the community ponies up the money for and then the other half is made to feel like **** for not buying.

You're only about the millionth person to throw in the old "cash shoppers support your free play" chestnut. Fact is, that's been true since the start of this game. The only thing that changed is that this used to be supported on vanity items and utility items (fash, mounts, charms, storage, teles, etc.). Now the big sellers are game-breakers.

But $20/month isn't going to turn you into the kind of CSer that people hate. Could you be more specific on where this "hate" has been directed at you, in particular?

(For the record, I spend $20 or so every few months, when there's a sale going on things that wouldn't break the game. I might take advantage of this week's storage sale, for instance)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • missmiseri
    missmiseri Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2011

Too true. Some act like they are god reinvented digitally.
  • CrimsonLynx - Raging Tide
    CrimsonLynx - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I don't put much money in the game, it's kinda rare...but this is one of most elitist cash shops ever in a game. I've played many games with cash shops and this one really does take the cake, not only is it overpriced, you don't get much unless you put in more than you want. The title of the thread is a bit misleading too, I kind of find it to be the other way around...the only regular people I see playing...almost everytime I sign on are people who are major cs'ers. One of the previous posters had a point, we aren't jealous, we just get really annoyed when cs'ers act like they are better than us...and most really do. Nobody even knows how to level a character without going to FC anymore...whereas I do every single quest, even if I had a lot of money, I still wouldn't do FC to powerlevel myself...because you get to a point where you have nothing left to do and then those people just stand around for hours on end in game talking **** to each other.
  • CrimsonLynx - Raging Tide
    CrimsonLynx - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Time is money.

If I spend money on the game to save myself time in the long run I am saving myself money. b:kiss

Time IS money, but only the people who work for the money actually know what that feels like.

Saving yourself time however does not save you money in this game, maybe on WoW...or another p2p game. But...this is a f2p game where you aren't losing money for your time...so you have all the time you need. The only thing you are saving yourself from is the grind and learning the game.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2011

/facepalm

So, you spend $20 a month here. You are NOT a cash shopper.

Apparently you don't understand the term and how it relates to gaming. A cash shopper is basically someone who throws money at a problem to eliminate or minimize the time + effort needed to accomplish major things in-game. Buying a charm or a couple packs a month hardly makes you a cash shopper.

And yes, you can get specific and say "oh, but I'm spending real cash in the shop", but spending a few dollars to make a game a little more enjoyable is completely different than buying gear or every achievement.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • rgog
    edited August 2011
    I am not sure I see the real difference between spending $20 a month or $100 or $500 - all things are relative. If someone has the budget to spend more why does the amount matter. Either way you are still taking a big shortcut.

I think I can understand the PVP unbalancing part of it but then again if I spend 10 hours a day 7 days a week grinding for the coin to buy R9 or if I spend $2,000 cash to get R9 then what is the difference to the person that is being overpowered by this?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    At some point there is a difference between having a mount, a larger inventory, a few charms than to buy all your levels and gear.

One enhances game play, the other ruins it.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Point is if the mega csers didn't cs that much, the rest of us wouldn't have to either in order to keep up.

What kind of logic is that? I work in the bay area... and I saw a maserati and a slk on my afternoon starbucks run today. Maybe you should go tell them to stop buying such a high end cars... so the people without cars won't feel the need to keep up. Seriously... do what you want... and stop caring about what others are doing.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Lost City
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I love being killed by a r9 +12. And because I fought back they call me a noob. lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Facebook.com/tangyfox
    EX Legendary on Sanctuary
    Moved to LC to PK
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Troll thread, though as some people said, it's when the pay for power comes into it at such a degree, I don't mind games where cash shopping is just buying accessories/vanity items, but when power is sold directly in the cash shop, then there's a problem, though PW simply doesn't care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    If you pay $7 for popcorn and a drink then I'm the guy sitting next to you laughing because I brought in my popcorn and drinks. About $1 for the 2 cans of soda and about 35 cents for the popcorn

Oh and the popcorn I brought in doesn't taste like styrafoam balls covered in melted butter, and the sodas aren't 2% soda 97% ice 1% employee's hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    If you pay $7 for popcorn and a drink then I'm the guy sitting next to you laughing because I brought in my popcorn and drinks. About $1 for the 2 cans of soda and about 35 cents for the popcorn

**** the rules you don't have money?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit