Barb... but maybe better to switch for DD?

kububububu
kububububu Posts: 28 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Barbarian
Hello,
I'm starting to play once again.
I'm not used to "new" things yet, but still wanting to learn.
I spent most of my Perfect World time in PW-MY version in 2008.

Today I want to start playing again, with my gf.
She's gonna roll a cleric.

I'm wondering: what to choose?
I thought old team: cler + barb, but I managed to get barb up to 19 today, and hey - it's kinda boring. I hate slow killing, it pisses me off.
Maybe I should suck on it, and go through, so we can quest together quite easly soon, but yet - it's boring.

I thought: maybe a DD? It'll be needed in squads with cleric also.
So what to choose these days? Archers still that good?
Or maybe something new? Like assassin, seeker or psychic?

Could You guys help me out?
I want to do quests with her as a cleric later on mid and high lvls, but is barb the only logical choice? ; d
Post edited by kububububu on

Comments

• Conalll - Archosaur
    Conalll - Archosaur Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If you want to do damage but still tank, you need to go BM or seeker. They'll never have the defense and HP barbs do, but they're good enough in many cases, and their DD abilities are wanted in squads.

If you want to spend LOTS of coin/cash, you could roll a sin and go for interval. But you won't be tanking much until the high levels.

Now if all you want is to tank, then the barb is still your best bet. Just be prepared for your damage to not match up. It's the nature of our class. Get used to it.
    "Impatience walks with disaster." My own phrase.

"Let the winds of winter come. I fear not famine, nor blizzard, nor an army of predators. For I am wolf. My power is matched by the many that stand beside me. Come what may. I have faced it before, and it has yet to touch me." *The Alpha's Warning*
  • kububububu
    edited July 2011
    I want to deal with quests/mobs fast when I'm in squad with cleric. And I'm gonna be in such squad for most of the time.
    So maybe for faster killing now, and for later game I roll a seeker? Or somekind of caster?

What do You think?
  • HellWariorB - Raging Tide
    HellWariorB - Raging Tide Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If u want to deal with mobs quick and u have always a cleric in squad u better go Sin
  • kububububu
    edited July 2011
    so cler + barb for slow, but sure killing
    sin + cler = faster killing, but won't do everything

how about:
    cler + psych?
    or
    cler + seeker/archer/etc?
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Why not cleric + Mystic? ( assuming a cleric is a must in that squad )

Mystics are very powerful and with cleric buffs and heals they can be unstoppable ( unless you go tank Oggo at lvl 60 :P)
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    When you and your GF want to be able to do everything in the game I suggest rolling barb + cleric because even if your dmg output will be limited compared to a bm/sin you will be able to do the job. Moreover most of the PWI players choose DD classes because they are easier to lvl but with a barb + cleric you can always fill up the remaining spots of a squad with random people which is good. Many squads are looking for barbs nowadays when it comes to the real challenges for tanking. Also in TW nothing can replace a barb as cat puller

greetz harm0wnie
  • BloodyOne - Dreamweaver
    BloodyOne - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    idk when u posted this cause im 2 lazy 2 check the date but try a psycic they **** everything early on and there buffs r epic >:D
    b:shocked no signature
  • RioNHale - Archosaur
    RioNHale - Archosaur Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    whyd no one say fist barb yet? >_>
    ★Immunity is an Arch Server TW Faction. If you want to join Apply @ immunity.shivtr.com★ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • Loricus - Harshlands
    Loricus - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    When you and your GF want to be able to do everything in the game I suggest rolling barb + cleric because even if your dmg output will be limited compared to a bm/sin you will be able to do the job. Moreover most of the PWI players choose DD classes because they are easier to lvl but with a barb + cleric you can always fill up the remaining spots of a squad with random people which is good. Many squads are looking for barbs nowadays when it comes to the real challenges for tanking. Also in TW nothing can replace a barb as cat puller

greetz harm0wnie

This is all you need to now
  • Loricus - Harshlands
    Loricus - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2011

Fist Barb is a sad excuse of a BM with his own hp and str buff

If you want an aps class, go make an Assasin or a BM who actually are the ones who should ever get aps, and why not, archers aswell.

I dont mean to offend anyone, but a Barbarian is way more usefull on a non fist build, if you want damage, i suggest getting yourself a good Poleaxe / Double Axe / Hammers / Polehammers and refine it till you get yourself a good damage; or reroll on a real aps class.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2011

If you want an aps class, go make an Assasin or a BM who actually are the ones who should ever get aps, and why not, archers aswell.

I dont mean to offend anyone, but a Barbarian is way more usefull on a non fist build, if you want damage, i suggest getting yourself a good Poleaxe / Double Axe / Hammers / Polehammers and refine it till you get yourself a good damage; or reroll on a real aps class.

vit points are worthless after you hit 26k hp. You're much better off going str/dex from that point. This is of course after some serious refining and sharding but ijs.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • IBaMBii - Heavens Tear
    IBaMBii - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2011

I beg your pardon, but fist barb can actually put on the damage. in the begining they fail yes, but if you look at the claw barb guide, it has a bunch of pluses.
    we can farm better than a pure axe barb, we get the fast nirvana squads, the good TT squads, and can even plvl.
    and once you hit 16 to 20k STANDING, (way easier than a bm can since we get more hp per vit) even pure str and the RIGHT build, we can even out DD a bm. yes we dont have HF or demon mastery, but I rather enjoy my 24/7 barb buffs.

so why have a 24k pure vit barb that can put no damage except arma over a 5.0 g13/g15 claw barb who can do 3x the damage and still have the 24k hp in tiger?
    b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2011

Not even going to argue whether an aps BM or an aps Barb does more damage. It's about the seem assuming both have the barbs buff.

What I would be willing to argue is that an aps barb can survive and tank much better than a vit barb between chi gain, paint, versatility, and aggro ability. Welcome to PWI, vit barbs only have one use any more and thats cata puller. In every other area they are outdone by aps/dmg barbs. If you need 30k+ hp to tank any instance than stop typing, put your fingers in your mouth, and start eating till you've chewed off your hands. Having nub arms will make your gameplay just as useful as being a vit barb.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • kububububu
    edited July 2011
    So what then? Roll a sin cuz it's the only class worth playing?
    It's crazy...
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    kububububu wrote: »
    So what then? Roll a sin cuz it's the only class worth playing?
    It's crazy...

Nahh, sins are too squishy.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Well, I'd suggest a "tank" class to pair with your cleric. Not to say archers and wizards can't tank but they can't hold aggro off melees typically.

So Barb, BM, or Sin is what I'd suggest. Barbs make better farmers earlier because of their survivability, but they are slower killers. BMs make excellent farmers but need a bit invested into their gear for survivability first, then you have more options like HF and renzy combos for DDing. Sins are squishy. Insane damage but are too squishy to farm and tank until later. They make the best farmers endgame, once their gear has been invested in. With a cleric they will be viable farmers earlier.

Barbs are wanted early on for to tank/pull and for their buffs. BMs are wanted for their buffs, dd, and their debuffs/amps (HF). Sins are wanted for their paint and their insane DD. No matter the class, you shouldn't have difficulty finding squads.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    If your plan is to do most things with your gf, I would suggest a BM+cleric combo, with a barb/sin alt on a 3rd account for buffs. APS BM's can tank pretty much any single boss the game can throw at them, but as a BM you'll want to start off with axe/fists (axe aoe's+fist cyclone and shadowless and drake sweep/roar/sutra) working your way endgame to using a few skills in pole/sword trees.
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    _Ghoul_ - Lost City Posts: 973 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i bet u a milion bcks a full r9 barb with deff shard and vit build would never die comepare to a 5 aps barb who need vit shard and np deff lv on his bv gear.
    u wana farm go aps u wana we hard to die r9 pure vit deff shard barb b:pleased who need bp when the mob hit 1 damage 70 deff lv will make diff enough said
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    edited August 2011
    and no everyone need to farm aps is purely farm b:bye sadface
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i bet u a milion bcks a full r9 barb with deff shard and vit build would never die comepare to a 5 aps barb who need vit shard and np deff lv on his bv gear.
    u wana farm go aps u wana we hard to die r9 pure vit deff shard barb b:pleased who need bp when the mob hit 1 damage 70 deff lv will make diff enough said

Well...not sure I completely understand what you're trying to say. As far as mobs go, an APS barb will mow right through them. As far as TW or PvP, maybe half and half. However, full R9 +10 APS barb would be pretty legendary. As it is, R9+10 non-APS barb is still one hard to kill toon-mobs won't touch them, but in TW or PvP, they'll get ganked every time that they can get ganked.

(And yes, there are a very few R9 APS barbs out there, with 27-30K hp and Defense shards.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    who needs r9 to kill the same damn stupid mobs over and over in this game?People who get r9 jsut like to flex their e-peens and still pay on this game 30 years down the road on their credit cards.I do understand the use of gear such as r9 on a pvp server but a pve server with not so much pvp(when u have to annouce pk at such n such place..thats lame)b:victory..u dont need the junk.

but if u want a dd that really dont get touched that much i would roll a archer,but still u gonan have to do quest still unless u get powerlvled and what fun is that.

plvl=a bunch of soldiers with no war stories.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2011

b:laugh

Best line the panda has read in awhile!
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    who needs r9 to kill the same damn stupid mobs over and over in this game?People who get r9 jsut like to flex their e-peens and still pay on this game 30 years down the road on their credit cards.I do understand the use of gear such as r9 on a pvp server but a pve server with not so much pvp(when u have to annouce pk at such n such place..thats lame)b:victory..u dont need the junk.

but if u want a dd that really dont get touched that much i would roll a archer,but still u gonan have to do quest still unless u get powerlvled and what fun is that.

Lets see how long you last against harpy in TT90 green then. b:cute
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    edited August 2011
    no r9 is what i belive is to balance aps in pvp no bm i mean sin as far as barbs go.
    take the secend blessing wish gives u 15deff + 15 attack lv would we best with 30 deff lv but still on the right direction.
    now full r9 give u 20 deff and 20 attack lv 15+20 alone is 35+ all socket sharded with deff +2 stone +12 gear.
    that my friend is what i care for not aps **** wish will kill me in a sec with a 100 attck lv r9 sin so i will have what around 60 deff lv that will make a difference when devs favorite class start to attack in stealt and eat my hp without having my charm even tick.

now go ****ing fix the game so i can get a real bramble i can active when a ****ing sin want to aps me to death me being stunned.

gimme us a full bramble genie skill then we can **** the sin out of existense.

no dev go to work give me what i want b:angry
  • Beleni - Dreamweaver
    Beleni - Dreamweaver Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    no r9 is what i belive is to balance aps in pvp no bm i mean sin as far as barbs go.
    take the secend blessing wish gives u 15deff + 15 attack lv would we best with 30 deff lv but still on the right direction.
    now full r9 give u 20 deff and 20 attack lv 15+20 alone is 35+ all socket sharded with deff +2 stone +12 gear.
    that my friend is what i care for not aps **** wish will kill me in a sec with a 100 attck lv r9 sin so i will have what around 60 deff lv that will make a difference when devs favorite class start to attack in stealt and eat my hp without having my charm even tick.

now go ****ing fix the game so i can get a real bramble i can active when a ****ing sin want to aps me to death me being stunned.

you already have a bramble skill that works very well, Alpha Male.
    wait for them to spark, use the skill and watch aps player kill their own character

To the Thread start,
    When i started my barb. my gf tried pretty much every class nothing seemed to work.
    Until we came across a Psychic.
    Was a perfect match, I had the defence, she had the attack.
    we nuked everything.
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited September 2011

I really cant understand what you are blabbering about, but stop saying that APS barb suck in comparison to r9 barb cuz guess what ?

BARB CAN GET R9 AND STILL BE 5.0 b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I really cant understand what you are blabbering about, but stop saying that APS barb suck in comparison to r9 barb cuz guess what ?

BARB CAN GET R9 AND STILL BE 5.0 b:bye

BM can also.

http://pwcalc.com/13efd50fa2633158

APS barbs are kEwL but APS sins are kEwLer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • Im_Coolz - Archosaur
    Im_Coolz - Archosaur Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Immunity has been going down hill latley thx to Nemisis b:laugh
  • DUBZZ - Archosaur
    DUBZZ - Archosaur Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IF ur going to say full vit barb's are only useful for TW and buffs then ur wrong. I'm a non-aps r9 barb and i'm WANTED in everything such as AEU, Full Warsong, bh's and even nirvy, regardless if im not aps I can still 1 shot the 3rd boss mobs to make the run faster, as well as my sage buffs, and debuffs.

If anything is the problem it would be PWI not giving barb's better aggro holding skills. Like the morai skill raging slap...it forces ur enemy to only attack you for 6 seconds or so but only works as pvp and not pve? I really think thats lame, and I think it would be much more useful, not only for barbs but for the squad as a whole if it would work in pve, because it would allow aps toons to spark without fear of dying. In other words I think it would make aggro much more simple and alot easier on the cleric most of all.
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    BM can also.

http://pwcalc.com/13efd50fa2633158

APS barbs are kEwL but APS sins are kEwLer.

Why would you replace the g15 piece and keep the crappy tt99 stuff?
    http://pwcalc.com/955b38fe3b163e65 much better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]