A recent Revelation

Options
KasTing - Raging Tide
KasTing - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
So with the recent fad of buying FC to lvl chars real fast...people seem to not know what there doing is squad a whole lot more than in the past. I was in bh recently and barb was wearing lvl 30 armor o.O...and couldn't hold agro worth **** because the psy in the squad was spamming skills with her char that she bought and dieing every round of mobs we encounter as well as the sin. Both had rank gear and fash and really OP gears so it was apparent to me that they bought there chars considering there skill.I'm not trying to make this a oh QQ buying FC makes ****** thread again so my point being is, if u plan to play a game...learn to play your char rather than going into something and not knowing basic agro skills and control(seriously you learn this within the first couple bhs if not earlier). I've recently come back from a year and a half of not playing and I am saddened at the state of the players have become. I remember being able to go all out on squads and being able to trust the tank. But sadly today many people don't have a clue at all what there doing and ive left more squads (saving my exp) and went out to go do quests lol. I hope a lot of you sympathize with me rather than be immature and troll and flame at my expense b:surrender . Remember the good'ol days.
Post edited by KasTing - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Daedallus - Sanctuary
    Daedallus - Sanctuary Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This is absolutely true...

New power leveled players don't know what they're doing. Why? Because they didn't have any time to learn.

"Mommy look, I'm lvl 90 in 2 days... oooh I'm soooo good - Let's go kill mobs - Ooops, squad wipe... I wonder how that happened. I'm sure it was the barb or cleric... bah" b:laugh
  • DaKaan - Harshlands
    DaKaan - Harshlands Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    b:sad people shouldn't powerlevel a char that they didn't played before.. if you're new to a class play it the old fashioned way and FC the last 9x lvls.. else you get situations like above b:bye

*ATM powerleveling BM b:chuckle
    Ghanima 101 wiz, DaKaaN 101 BM, Ra\/en 96 Seeker
    Quit this game for another one called real life b:shocked
  • jiq
    jiq Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yeah. That's why they shouldn't let people under 80 in FCC. And PQ mobs should give crappy exp, rewards for doing PQ should be increased. They could fix this easily but PWE doesn't care... :( This game is like a freaking private server now. -_-
  • Yuniryu - Raging Tide
    Yuniryu - Raging Tide Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    jiq wrote: »
    Yeah. That's why they shouldn't let people under 80 in FCC. And PQ mobs should give crappy exp, rewards for doing PQ should be increased. They could fix this easily but PWE doesn't care... :( This game is like a freaking private server now. -_-

I agree. All those stupid powerleveling not only making it annoying and having dumb level 100s and high levels and greed people but also making it hard for the normal people to fc to unless you are a sin/ barb/ bm / cleric. Well at least i can take my time to 90, i might actually max my main skills before 90.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would blame oblivious stupidity more than powerleveling.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you guys don't stop rambling about "the good old days", I will have to find retirement homes for everybody.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *signs up for retirement home* b:chuckle

But let's face it... when you don't learn your char's basics how do you expect to be a good player?
    edited May 2011
    Options

But let's face it... when you don't learn your char's basics how do you expect to be a good player?

Some people are fast learners and some are oblivious for life

Take for example a long time player, an archer, whom I gave the advice to kite away from opponents.

The archer refused at the time, saying "it takes too long", because apparently it is better to tank a melee's hits with one's face and loose battles briefly instead of implementing a strategy that would allow one the chance of winning against such classes.

I've met a lot of old players who are also complete dolts, lacking in the capacity to learn

Whereas, a fast learner could pick up the basics of a class just by watching others and refine their techniques with a bit of practice. All in a matter of weeks :o

I've seen it done. the "Plevel=bad player" conclusion is flawed because of the inherent assumption that all people lack the capacity to learn quickly. You cannot make such broad assumptions and expect the resulting conclusion to be accurate.
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I've seen it done. the "Plevel=bad player" conclusion is flawed because of the inherent assumption that all people lack the capacity to learn quickly. You cannot make such broad assumptions and expect the resulting conclusion to be accurate.

Point given, I agree with you there.

Experience, however tell me that power leveled players are ( exceptions exist ofc ) less skilled than "normal" levelers.

Not to mention they lose the game content, but that's a personal choice.
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you guys don't stop rambling about "the good old days", I will have to find retirement homes for everybody.

Lmao that one is so true.

I agree with blood there. If you want to learn your class, you will. No matter how fast you leveled.
    And yes I'm glad we got fcc. After 3 chars past 90 I could care less to level my mystic by grinding only.

For the argument that you learn a lot in your first bhs... Find me a BH29/39 nowadays that doesn't contain at least one high level running the instance for lower people. Logical and fast but if it's that helpful in learning your class, I dunno..
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Point given, I agree with you there.

Experience, however tell me that power leveled players are ( exceptions exist ofc ) less skilled than "normal" levelers.

Not to mention they lose the game content, but that's a personal choice.

many of them are, but I believe this is just consistent with my theory that many PWI players have a less than satisfactory ability to learn :o
    Actually more of an observation than a theory, ijs
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2011
    Options
    many of them are, but I believe this is just consistent with my theory that many PWI players have a less than satisfactory ability to learn :o
    Actually more of an observation than a theory, ijs

It's not just that they have an apparent inability to learn, but that they have no desire to. A large number of today's player play the game like it requires no skills, no finesse. They play it like CTD or something and just spam skills. All they know is point and shoot, and deal as much damage as you can in the process. Nevermind the squad tactics.

And it all boils down to PWE's fault, because they have started designing the game to appeal to a teenager with the attention span of a goldfish. Grinding is boring, the story line is boring, they just want to be at the top and killing everything in their path as fast as possible.

Sadly, they won't take BH away. They won't force any limits to an instance that gives EXP like FCC does. Hell I'm surprised they put the level limitations on Nix that they did. I'd be willing to bet that the only one's that regularly run that are seasoned players like myself who know what to do. And even then, I only run with people I know that know what to do in a squad, and remember how to zhen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A huge part of having the ability to learn, is having the desire to do so.
  • ugysekell
    ugysekell Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Plvling does make too many noobs but it also destroys the gameplay for low-mid lvl people who want to play the game the 'normal' way. Have you guys noticed it's getting harder and harder to find squads for dailies because people plvl instead?

They also use PQ for plvling instead of doing the quest itself. When I go there I'm usually alone or doing with 2-3 more players and it takes forever. I remember when there were squads and 10-15 people used to do it and we finished really fast... :( We used to spam it and lvled 2 times a day around 65.

If people played this game the normal way they would lvl fast enough. I don't see the point of plvling in this game, we have many ways to lvl (BH, EG-TB quests, CS, Gamma, PQ, etc). I understand it if someone Hypers FCC after 80, because the exp gain is getting less and less each lvl... but under 80... it makes no sense, you can get to 80 in a few weeks without any plvling.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This is nothing new, and I'm sure a lot of the older players would say the same thing to the newer players who are complaining about this now. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A huge part of having the ability to learn, is having the desire to do so.

C'est vrai, mademoiselle ! *bows*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ehh. I'm powerleveling my psychic and I'm learning how to play her just fine. Same with my sin after my psy hits 100. This game isn't so complicated you have to play a character for over a year to play it well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ehh. I'm powerleveling my psychic and I'm learning how to play her just fine. Same with my sin after my psy hits 100. This game isn't so complicated you have to play a character for over a year to play it well.

Nah, you could learn a character well in a matter of a couple of weeks. We aren't saying you have play play a toon a year to play it well.
    What the problem is, and what the focus of this thread is, is that the majority aren't bothering to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options

No offense to you personally, I'm sure you're a good player, but "I know what I'm doing" is what ppl usually say before a squad wipe IJS.

When I play barb, one thing that annoys me is a psy buffing me with SoV ( not sage/demon)

They buff me and what little mp I have goes *poof*, lol.

Then, when I explain why I don't want that buff, they reply "oh, I didn't know it sucked your mana" b:surrender
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    No offense to you personally, I'm sure you're a good player, but "I know what I'm doing" is what ppl usually say before a squad wipe IJS.

I can ensure you that Graviora is one of the players who actually do know what she's doing. And she does it well. b:surrender

I also don't see the point of disliking pleveling when someone who already has a highleveled toon does it. Sure, playing a cleric and psy is very different indeed, but when you have played for over a year and done instances with several psys, you kind of get the hang of it. You know what their skills do and how you should use them despite the fact that you don't play one yourself. Thus, the whole, learn the skills when you get them on normal quests gets rather pointless, since you already know the dynamic of them and how you should act in a squad.

That being said, pleveling your first character is quite sad. Not because you miss out on learning your class, I've never learned so much about being the cleric as I did when I started FCing, but because you miss out on so much of the game. Then again, that is a personal preference, I hardly did my BHs at 59 simply because I dislike that instance. I quit doing most of my quests after level 60 for the exact same reason.

A pleveled toon can be just as good as a normal leveled one, it all depends on how much they are willing to learn. You won't learn much simply by grinding your way up and doing all your quests either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A pleveled toon can be just as good as a normal leveled one, it all depends on how much they are willing to learn.
    But the point is, we are experiencing a major influx of those who are not willing, or not able to learn.
    You won't learn much simply by grinding your way up and doing all your quests either.
    No, but you're more likely to know your skills and how to effectively use them. Sadly, there's no real way to teach squad mechanics while either grinding or powerleveling. That's the biggest failure... No one know what the frack they are supposed to be doing in a squad environment.
  • latissimus
    latissimus Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    One of the most basic squad skills I see sadly lacking lately is how to keep the cleric alive.

When you DDers attract agro from multiple mobs, and the cleric gets heal agro then dies, the squad wipe is your fault more than it is the clerics.

The only clerics fault in that situation was in healing you.
  • Channman - Lost City
    Channman - Lost City Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i love it i enjoy killing them and them droping to me lol like last night some level 9x sin came up and starting hitting me i 2 shotted him and he droped his hook and torn daggers which i sold the guy had ok gear but no clue what to do with it so i just loled at him
  • ColdAsLife - Dreamweaver
    ColdAsLife - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This game isn't so complicated you have to play a character for over a year to play it well.

Actually, this is true. Playing a character normally for over a year gives you a basic knowledge about all the classes since you`re forced to run in squads every day. You are seeing which skills are being mainly used, what genies and what gear. Once you have your char with the basics, it's time to study it in details and this is what's actually taking time.
    ColdAsLife, 90, Proud Sage Archer
    ArchRaziel, 5x, Cleric
    XBushidoX, xbushidox.guildportal.com
    Rectitude, Courage, Benelovence, Respect, Honesty, Honor, Loyalty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My BM and Sin are both powerlevelled. I can play each extremely well, it doesn't take an I.Q of 180 to figure out how to use a class in different situations. There may be times when you mess up but it happens to everyone.

If you can't play your class after a month of using it, even if you powerlevelled it, then uninstall the game.
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    My BM and Sin are both powerlevelled. I can play each extremely well, it doesn't take an I.Q of 180 to figure out how to use a class in different situations. There may be times when you mess up but it happens to everyone.

If you can't play your class after a month of using it, even if you powerlevelled it, then uninstall the game.

Bragging a little?? b:laugh
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

there won't be any hyper stones in this retirement home, will there? no oracles either, right?

*gets in line for the sign-up sheet*

i'm a bad enough veno even knowing the basics of venoing. if i hadn't spent seventy levels grinding it the slow way, i'd be utterly useless; at least as it is i know how to amp and ironwood, and who to bramble when.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • KennyPowers - Raging Tide
    KennyPowers - Raging Tide Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    A player who powerlevels isn't always bad, but a bad player who powerlevels is truly awful. I know a cleric who is now about lvl 5x and only does bh's with a lvl 98 or above player. By the way, it's his first character, he has no high level alt. This guy hyper grinds and buys heads like it's going out of style. But at the same time, he says the game is boring.

Now, there would be a whole new set of challenges for him if he were to actually do a bh with people around his level. But that's not gonna happen.

So what we have here is a cleric who will be lvl 80 in no time without an ounce of real squad experience. I went along with him on one of these bh runs, and it was painfully obvious he didn't know what he was doing.

He took healing aggro over a single mob (but didn't even come close to dying, we saved him) and he went on about how "fail" we all were. Obviously he'd never seen a squad wipe.

I can look past most characters powerleveling, but a cleric needs to know as much as they can about squad play.

The sad thing is, I've met several clerics like this. At least one got fed up and quit the game because it got "too hard" by the time he fc'd his way up to 75 or 80.
  • Daedallus - Sanctuary
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ^^ this

Thank you for putting it clear ( English is not my native language).

Of course if you level 80 inside FCC having high levels do your work for you, You'll find it hard outside, cause you won't kill mobs easily.

That's why plevelers find it hard.
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I have to say..I kind of hate FC. If the person using it is 80+ it doesn't bother me as much, but I have just seen so many fail players who power leveled now that it's simply irritating. Maybe they would be fail anyway, whether they had played the game or just power leveled. But, seriously, level 90 sins with lame gear claiming they can tank Nob/Pole then trying to blame other people when they die? Venos who don't know what amp and purge are at 80+? It's kind of pathetic. But then again, I view PW like I do any other game. If you were to take games like Final Fantasy or Zelda and be able to skip through all the content, just automatically have all of the end gear yet miss the entire story, all of the quests and bosses along the way, what's the point of playing?

This is just my opinion though.