Why do skills also cost coin?

Options
Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Not this isn't a QQ just wondering... I've played some MMORPG's the past few years including a few other from this company... But this realy is the 1st game where skills also cost coin instead of just spirit/skill points/whatever... And not just a little bit but a lot... No one can grind enough coin just in game to get all their skills up... Especialy not untill higher lvles... So that realy makes me wonder why it costs coin in the 1st place... There realy isn't any logic in it... Well feel free to share your thoughts about this and keep the posts nice and clean... b:cute
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
BigHearts member... f:grin
Post edited by Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Not this isn't a QQ just wondering... I've played some MMORPG's the past few years including a few other from this company... But this realy is the 1st game where skills also cost coin instead of just spirit/skill points/whatever... And not just a little bit but a lot... No one can grind enough coin just in game to get all their skills up... Especialy not untill higher lvles... So that realy makes me wonder why it costs coin in the 1st place... There realy isn't any logic in it... Well feel free to share your thoughts about this and keep the posts nice and clean... b:cute

To act as a coin sink mostly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • IDynasty - Dreamweaver
    IDynasty - Dreamweaver Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If they didn't, there would be even more money on the market, I even believe they increased the amount of money you have to spend on skills, just to reduce the inflation by a tiny bit.
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2011
    Options
    But why make it an amount most free to play users won't be able to afford 'till after lvl 100 where they can finaly run Nirvy's for it and a chance to get 2mil from BH? They nerfed any other income available in game so it doesn't make sense... An I think not everyone has a lvl 100 family member providing the coin like I have... b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
  • SoulRequiem - Sanctuary
    SoulRequiem - Sanctuary Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Because the so-called"Trainers",need the money to live.
    Trainers are there to "Teach" you the skills that you're able to learn.
    The more advanced is the skill,the more difficult and long is the training,thus the more is the bill.
    They're like...private teachers I guess.

Also believe it or not,I leveled my BM's HF to lv.10 with grinding alone when there was 2x drop...
    But honestly,grinding isn't worth the time it takes.

You can grind for 1 hour and get roughly get 200/300k of DQ drops
    ....or you can work in real life for 1 hour,get 3/4 or 5 dollars,and make 10 times the profit.
    WTB>More Fash
    Currently Want-to-buy list>>(W=White;B=Black;A=Any color)
    ((W. Steampunk Top \\ W. Aegan Dress \\ W. Road Warrior Vest and Shorts \\ W. Cougar Top \\ W. Barfighter Top \\B. Chipao \\ Trading B. Shinobi Set to White \\ B. Bowknot Top \\ W. Porcelian Dress \\ B. Leopard Boots \\W. Corsair Dress \\ B. Debutante Dress \\ W. Sunshine Blouse \\ W. Tiger Lily Dress \\ W. Stardust Dress \\ \\ Red Bikini Bottom \\ W. Crown Princess Dress))
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the skills aren't THAT impossible to afford, if you grind like a maniac. and keep in mind, PW was originally designed as a grind-fest game in the east asian style --- ignore all the dailies, ignore the earthguard and tideborn quest chains, and try to level past 40; you'll have plenty of coins from all the drops...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Its been easy for me to come up with the money for the quests....by grinding and doing the actual quests and not all the bhs and such. :P Although I did certainly BH, still I wanted money I grinded, or merched, or ran a TT. From time to time I admit I put in 10 dollars, but not for skills. Because using quests skills should be fairly easy to obtain. Why would a lvl 86 need a level 10 tempest anyway? Most mobs are 3-4 shot with cyclone, plumeshot, cyclone and maybe plumeshot again. :P Thats just one example, I found that the coins I obtained from grinding/doing quests for buying skills my level were all I needed to kill the mobs at my level range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide
    Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Unless your a barb then sorry your screwed.
    02/07/2011 - Lost paitence with PWI sold all my gear bought packs and wasted my coin till it was gone... goodbye PWI b:bye
  • endlesstorture
    endlesstorture Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    each class all skills cost atleast 55mil+ excluding level 100 skills.
  • Wunderkind - Dreamweaver
    Wunderkind - Dreamweaver Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    But why make it an amount most free to play users won't be able to afford 'till after lvl 100 where they can finaly run Nirvy's for it and a chance to get 2mil from BH? They nerfed any other income available in game so it doesn't make sense... An I think not everyone has a lvl 100 family member providing the coin like I have... b:question

*sigh* another person that just can't see how the game used to be structured. Before all this hyper **** it took months and months to level in the low 90s, you had plenty and plenty and plenty of time to gather coin. Molds from bh69/79 was crazy expensive and skills were even more expensive. Now it's 0-100 in 6 seconds and everyone wonders "uhhhh damn i'm 100 and broke and I have no skills it's all the games fault! stuff is to expensive!" b:sad
    Currently: pwcalc.com/b4c92dacf1da8c21
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Those skill trainers have to make money some way.

Let's say learning a skill means paying the skill master for the lessons.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • TreeHugs - Harshlands
    TreeHugs - Harshlands Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    skills cost coin as a coin sink of course...

but also, comparing to other games ive played, not many others have costed game money to get skills. but, most of those games also didnt allow you to get every skill available (some skills you just couldnt get due to lack of skill points, making peoples skill builds more unique). i guess its a fair trade off in that sense, at least we can get all skills in PW.

only thing is, it can be a struggle for lower levels, as making money can be hard then. it would be nice if the skills were so much money, its like 4milor so to get a lvl 59 skill to its max level :x

but when you get to your 90s or so, the money it costs is worth it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TreeHugs - Lv. 101 Demon Rank 8 Mystic
    vixter - Lv. 101 Demon Heavy Rank 8 Venomancer
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *sigh* another person that just can't see how the game used to be structured. Before all this hyper **** it took months and months to level in the low 90s, you had plenty and plenty and plenty of time to gather coin. Molds from bh69/79 was crazy expensive and skills were even more expensive. Now it's 0-100 in 6 seconds and everyone wonders "uhhhh damn i'm 100 and broke and I have no skills it's all the games fault! stuff is to expensive!" b:sad

well, duh. Everyone blows their coins on FCC heads and hypers now. >_>
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sorry for late rsponse had visitors over... Uhm I do grind normal quests but still it seems no enough for the costs... And those skill trainers get way overpayed... Just teaching and get almost a full paycheck on coin... To bad they're the only ones around so I can't go searching for a cheaper one.. b:surrender Guess coinsink would be the best reason in this... But then again real spenders can get 11 mil for spending 10 dolars in this game now so it won't be sinking annyway... Lvlving realy goes fast now yeah but it sucks to stay behind while all your friends go up... Well for most ppl I guess... Well thanks for the awnsers guys... Only thing I have left to wonder is what a GM would awnser to this... b:chuckle PS: Selling heads sucks... >=O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    quests alone are barely the beginning of grinding, young padawan.

try this just once: next time you level up, do the quests you get for that level --- and then do no further quests.

no bounty hunter. no world quest. no crazy stone, excepting maybe if you have more coins than you know what to do with.

instead, just grind all the way to the next level --- go out on the open map and kill stuff. find mob, kill mob, pick up drops, repeat until you ding. that's how people used to have to level; if they got bored, they picked a lower-level dungeon and ran it for the change of pace. or they looked for somebody who needed help with a FB.

that's how this game was originally designed to make you gain XP. as a veno, you might still hear a faint --- very faint --- echo of this, if you (1) have four or five pets you use regularly, and (2) just plain refuse to outlevel any of them.

find two or three other people about your level range who are also low on coins, try to convince them to zhen with you. you can argue that it's a reasonably safe, easy way to get lots and lots of drops to sell for coin. plus, after you've grinded out 20% or so of XP in your late 8x levels... some zhenning will be a nice change of pace. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's Final Fantasy's fault... They made me expecting more out of a game... b:surrender I do remeber the old times though... When there was no BH yet... I ended up rerolling as soon I hit 50-60 out of boredom back then...

Hmm zenning huh? Any volenteers? My sin is 78... b:laugh Veno's don't need party's cause they can take good care of themselves and party's will just cause my pets not to gain exp... b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    As said its a coin sink mainly. And i had almost all of my Assassin's skills maxed by early 9x.
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's Final Fantasy's fault... They made me expecting more out of a game... b:surrender
    Keep in mind, though, that there's a huge difference between the design of an MMO and a single-player RPG.

In a single-player RPG, everything is spoon fed to you in step-by-step chunks, and that includes the economy. The designers deliberately fix prices so that you are are able to afford everything you need, exactly when you need it, by putting in just the right amount of effort.

That way no matter how useless you are at managing your money, you'll still be able to afford everything and eventually become the hero.

But an MMO can't afford to spoon-feed everybody, because catering to the people who are bad with their money would allow people who are good with their money to have effectively infinite coin. Good players have exponentially more coins than bad ones, and excellent player have exponentially more coins than good ones.

Inevitably, that means some players are going to think skill prices are absurdly high, others will find them just right, and still others won't even give it a second though to pay 1,000,000 coins to level Sage "Stomp of the Beast King" because hey, so what, it's just a measly million coins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you grinded and quested your way to whatever level you are without CSing/merching, you'll have enough coins to level your skills.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you grinded and quested your way to whatever level you are without CSing/merching, you'll have enough coins to level your skills.

Oh boogie boogie boogie what did you do? Did you grind? b:bye

You never know I might have an old screenshot in here somewhere of you in FC with me.

I've done both. I've grinded as a tank in PW MY and I've zhen partied in PW MY (Which people don't even know about these days.) and I've FBed, Cubed, Deltaed.

To put it in Malaysian terms: I did FBs, Cube, World Quest, Zhen Party, Wanteds and Punish the Ruffian and well as Hero's Quest.

Heres another little Rank 6 Hammer I ground REP on barb as well.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/0e/a3/0ea3e801225de2620cd4b86962c683121291777358.jpghttp://

Heres my proof:

65+
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/b8/61/b861e6651989fe550bf42c31848fe1c81303457995.jpg

Level 70~80+
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/fd/1a/fd1adf374463b871c654356ec7b3f67f1303837685.jpg

81 and beyond+
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/8f/48/8f48f2c54386d9261de86be8137f11ed1303458794.jpg

Kids these days have no 'style' maybe you could learn a thing or to?
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/98/28/982827b6ac51f736c4a13e549e61091a1303458500.jpg

You might want to also note the charms slightly 'smaller' than the platinum ones you had here. We didn't have crab meat until much later, either.

Where is your proof, Boogie?

Everyone don't worry Boogie's only real talent is PKing with a sword as an Archer.
    You might also say her only other real talent is being while she opens her mouth like a fish.
    Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Think that really depends. Classes have different costs/profit when grinding and they also have a different amount of skills that needs to be maxed.

Its true for archers of course, since we only have one 59 skill/ulti to max and we dont really have any costs grinding besides arrows. Venos would be in that group to. About 20% of their skills aren't even worth leveling past 1, only Parasite Nova is costly to max and they grind for free.

But take a 9X wizard that needs all 3 ultis at level 10. Its pretty hard to afford that with just coins from grinding and questing - at least if you also want some sort of gear. Barbs probably cant max out skills with coins only from grinding/questing either. Barbs cant really grind effectively in the first place, **** aoe skills, **** single target dps and massive repairs <_<
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The trainers should hold 50% off sales for lvling skills.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • NOTREAL - Archosaur
    NOTREAL - Archosaur Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

+99

b:dirty
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options

Its worked for 4 years (Nov 2007) why change it?

Example: "Oh look I paid 500k to get heads! and Im level 99 with only 10 mil coin"

Yep that's brilliant Sherlock, might wanna check your coin. Good luck with that. b:laugh
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bad new, skills now need gold to learn.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Keep in mind, though, that there's a huge difference between the design of an MMO and a single-player RPG.

In a single-player RPG, everything is spoon fed to you in step-by-step chunks, and that includes the economy. The designers deliberately fix prices so that you are are able to afford everything you need, exactly when you need it, by putting in just the right amount of effort.

That way no matter how useless you are at managing your money, you'll still be able to afford everything and eventually become the hero.

unless you play oblivion 3
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you grinded and quested your way to whatever level you are without CSing/merching, you'll have enough coins to level your skills. But heres me in FC grinding so its all ok.

I think boogie can stand corrected in this one.

If boogiepanda 'grinded' like boogie says, he/she wouldn't be in Frost Walk City with me as demonstrated in this picture:

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/12/e8/12e83dc0b82c42011c415477662bb0af1306183169.jpg

Condescending much? b:pleased

b:bye b:laugh

Care to explain what you were doing in a hyper leveling dungeon? That is boogiepanda level 97 Archer as listed on the party list. Sorry about the cash shop was looking at something. b:chuckle
    b i t . l y /
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Oh dear, one CS from One dungeon? how fail he must be to step in frost once! (as you documented) Sorry for the troll post, but cramming your posts full of SS's that mean nothing is rather annoying and pointless.

If boogiepanda 'grinded' like boogie says, he/she wouldn't be in Frost Walk City with me as demonstrated in this picture:

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/profile/12/e8/12e83dc0b82c42011c415477662bb0af1306183169.jpg

Care to explain what you were doing in a hyper leveling dungeon? That is boogiepanda level 97 Archer as listed on the party list. Sorry about the cash shop was looking at something. b:chuckle
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hehe Boogie got busted I guess... b:chuckle No matter... Everyone is free to give their opinions as long as it doesn't turn into a fight... No need to pretend... I'm pretty sure everyone here (secretly) enjoys the easy lvling ways at least sometimes these days like BH and FF's... So it's cool... Unless you go low enough to buy heads or something afcourse... b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary
    AnimaBlanc - Sanctuary Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

Is it Kinjeto's personal goal to search the forums and try to make boogie look like PWI's next best villian for being an actual gamer ?

what happened big scary wolfie ? did Boogie PK you with afor mentioned sword?

give it a rest kujo... your not pwi's truth nor value police.
    All you need is something to believe in. -Solar_one. <-- <3 mah snoockums, mah hubby, mah eberyfing. :3

Lag; You think yours is bad ? It took Jesus 3 days to Respawn !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Current games aren't -games- anymore, just light shows operated by win buttons, lol."
    "ah sh*t, were gonna die!.... but it's still cool!" -INTMDATOR
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options

I still laugh at the dummies that reach such a dead end... 'I am lv 100! Hell yeah! *the end of disillusion finally arrives* ...Oh damn! I'm stuck, broke and having no proper skill and gears to be one of the best around!! What did I do!' (and I don't even aim to troll, it's just a natural outcome... such a waste). A total absence of long-term objectives will only bring disaster, be it in game or in life. b:surrender
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~