PWI, you need to pay attention to what ads you put up

Options
Bellarie - Raging Tide
Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
I log in today, and head here, to the forums. As soon as I enter any of the main areas, my internet window goes white, as I get automatically redirected to "googleads.g.doubleclick.net..."
I'm still new to noscript, so I try to leave it off when possible until I've figured it out, so this is quite annoying, and adblock does not stop it either.

And regardless of whether or not noscript stops the browser hijacking, it is still only a coverup; the problem is still here, and it should not be here.

This issue has been brought up before, and I've had it in the past as well, so something nweeds to be done. PWI loses money when we are forced to block out all their sponsor ads with adblock and noscript. And browser hijacking is NEVER alright, and it is not good for PWI's already failing reputation.

EDIT: To all who say "PWI can't control what ads they receive" this is a load of bull. Plenty of other sites and forums I visit have the same kinds of ads. They have sections for reporting inappropriate and bad ads and sites, including these kinds of hijackers, so that they can get their ad sponsors to block out the offensive ads/sites. It can and needs to be done here as well.
Post edited by Bellarie - Raging Tide on

Comments

• ChloeAgave - Archosaur
    ChloeAgave - Archosaur Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hmm. PWI loses money if it doesn't block out the ads, yet it loses money if it blocks out ads.

Honestly, I have never had a problem with it at all. Just keep up your adblocker, it is there for a reason.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mozilla FireFox + Adblock Plus. Problem solved.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mozilla FireFox + Adblock Plus. Problem solved.
    Does no one actually read before they type? I already said I have adblock, which, for the record, does not stop this browser hijacking. I actually have to use the noscript addon. Don't tell me what I already know.
    Also, you missed the point of this thread. It doesn't matter if adblock and noscript take care of ad issues; the fact is, they shouldn't be needed in he first place for the forums of an MMO site. That is the point of this thread, that PWI needs to pay attention so that they can report offensive ads like this and get them filtered out. PWI loses more money when people are forced to block out any and all ads, than it does getting a few specific culprit ads filtered out.
  • Drazomyst - Dreamweaver
    Drazomyst - Dreamweaver Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Pay attention? Too expensive. They rather buy this week's latest sports car and diamond studded dress.
    [Retired from PWI]
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Pay attention? Too expensive. They rather buy this week's latest sports car and diamond studded dress.

Sad, but likely true. And honestly, The loss of money from all the blocked ads probably doesn't even put a dent in their profiting over the people who spend $500+ a week on boutique *****.
    Still, it's an issue I felt the need to bring up. And if that's a problem for someone, tough t!tty.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Does no one actually read before they type? I already said I have adblock, which, for the record, does not stop this browser hijacking. I actually have to use the noscript addon. Don't tell me what I already know.
    Also, you missed the point of this thread. It doesn't matter if adblock and noscript take care of ad issues; the fact is, they shouldn't be needed in he first place for the forums of an MMO site. That is the point of this thread, that PWI needs to pay attention so that they can report offensive ads like this and get them filtered out. PWI loses more money when people are forced to block out any and all ads, than it does getting a few specific culprit ads filtered out.

You need better ABP subscriptions then. I never have had this happen. I'm not even bothering to use Noscript.

And... If you haven't realized yet... PWI is gonna milk every penny off this game they can. That includes putting ads up for their competitors, washing machines, and anger management on the forums.

You can QQ about 'oh, they shouldn't HAVE ads on the forums! It's a PAY 2 WIN MMO!', but they really aren't gonna listen. Either deal with it, or just use better subscriptions, or don't use the forums like 90% of the game's population.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    Infernia - Harshlands Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    IE9 with no adblock or other extensions running and im a-ok from the google doubleclick BS.

Why is it that im able to use basic unenhanced software and never get any problems, yet everyone has problems even with all these "Solutions" running? b:chuckle
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You need better ABP subscriptions then. I never have had this happen. I'm not even bothering to use Noscript.

And... If you haven't realized yet... PWI is gonna milk every penny off this game they can. That includes putting ads up for their competitors, washing machines, and anger management on the forums.

You can QQ about 'oh, they shouldn't HAVE ads on the forums! It's a PAY 2 WIN MMO!', but they really aren't gonna listen. Either deal with it, or just use better subscriptions, or don't use the forums like 90% of the game's population.

Sad, but true. I won't deny that. However, I personally don't find this game to be Pay to win. Why? Because it's not a job for me, I play for fun, and I enjoy the game. But that's another argument entirely....

As for adblock, I keep it updated regularly, and I also have the adblock popup block addon as well, but I still got the redirection without noscript. Guess I'll have to go check adblock again for more updates.
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ive just had a thought.

I dont get this ****, and I dont use your crappo programs.

Ever considered it might be your adblocker **** thats ****ing up the page loading?

If it is, I lol hardcore. If it isnt, im still loling cos im still completely untouched.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why is it that im able to use basic unenhanced software and never get any problems, yet everyone has problems even with all these "Solutions" running? b:chuckle
    From my experience, there seems to be an inverse-proportional relationship between a particular user's amount of anti-malware programs installed, and their level of risky internet behaviour.

Likewise, there's a direct-proportional relationship between a particular user's level of infection with viruses/browser hijackers, and their expectation that somebody else (be it forum owners or anti-malware programmers) is responsible for preventing them from getting infected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Options
    From my experience, there seems to be an inverse-proportional relationship between a particular user's amount of anti-malware programs installed, and their level of risky internet behaviour.

Likewise, there's a direct-proportional relationship between a particular user's level of infection with viruses/browser hijackers, and their expectation that somebody else (be it forum owners or anti-malware programmers) is responsible for preventing them from getting infected.

Il ride my net usage as "risky".

I do use both a firewall and AV tho, so I guess I am pretty well protected.

Id guess its because I dont try to protect myself from stuff thats not actually harmful, (I.E adverts) that stops me experiencing these issues.

There has to be something, I just dont think I would have such luck as to only have 1 major virus infection in current memory (Which was a **** too. Was one of those fake antivirus ones that locks your desktop and pretty much everything else demanding you pay for it to be fixed. Took me 3 hours to get rid of it >_>).

~more on topic : Good luck blaming PWE for your advert issue guys :D
  • Quistgaard - Heavens Tear
    Quistgaard - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If the redirection is what bothers you, toggle the "Warm me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page" option on. That should fix it.
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I've never even had this problem, before or after installing adblock. It might be you visited some spammy site and they got something on your computer. I usually use CCleaner daily to get rid of all the internet ****.

Also I've only ever had one trojan virus ever in my whole history of computer usage. I'd just gotten my first computer, and I used limewire ( dumb I know) and downloaded a fake codec, which gave me a trojan virus. I had empty windows coming up every nano second and I couldn't do anything, lol. But it was totally my fault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • DrunkWizard - Lost City
    DrunkWizard - Lost City Posts: 523 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    this worked for me

Firefox -> ad block plus -> go to preferences -> add filter -> put the www.googleadservice.com need to write correctly-> accept and wont bother u anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    this worked for me

Firefox -> ad block plus -> go to preferences -> add filter -> put the www.googleadservice.com need to write correctly-> accept and wont bother u anymore.

yeah, I had only blocked googleads.g.doubleclick.net, I didn't realize it has two different addresses it redirects with. The issue is gone now.

I don't get this sort of problem anywhere else. Of course, I use adblock, and have ever since those epilepsy-inducing SCAM banners that loudly announce "congratulations, you've won!" began appearing on forums that use sponsor ads.(my first encounter was on Gaia) If banner ads cause an issue, it is the fault of the banner ad, the company that provides the ads for not filtering it out, and to a lesser degree, the site that hosts the ads(like PWI in this case) At least other forums have a sticky thread to report offensive or inappropriate ads.

Funny though, Infernia was correct, I ran IE9 and didn't get the redirection, yet I have nothing extra on my IE9(as I don't like or use IE)

@Jellytoast: Yeah, I use Eusing Window Washer after I finish browsing the web, and I use their Registry Cleaner daily as well. Those sort of cleaning programs are definitely a help.
  • Lainnie - Raging Tide
    Lainnie - Raging Tide Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    (Which was a **** too. Was one of those fake antivirus ones that locks your desktop and pretty much everything else demanding you pay for it to be fixed. Took me 3 hours to get rid of it >_>).

Usually takes me 15-20 mins to get rid of those and do anybody ever clean out their whole cache on IE or firefox (I do it on IE since it stops it) since those viruses usually do put themselves in there causing you to get redirected to a ad website that you don't want to go to and yes you lose your recently reviewed websites for doing so.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I have this problem on Opera Mini, and unfortunately have no Content Blocker like the full version of Opera. This really makes it a pain, and sometimes I have to go a day or more without loading a page on the forums because of these hijacking ads. The weird thing is, my phone's cache resets each time I turn it off and back on, so it isn't hijacking cookies...it's just...weird...

b:surrender
  • itzmurda
    itzmurda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    This started two days ago. Whenever i try to look at a thread or go to a category other then the main forums the page turns into a white screen and loads forever. The only way i can view pages is to quickly press the "Stop loading" button before it turns to a white screen. This is happening on both my computers.
  • DrunkWizard - Lost City
    DrunkWizard - Lost City Posts: 523 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    maybe pwe alliance with intel pentium, to make us crash our computers and buy more. too bad for them i use admiral processor o.o b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yes I have been getting this annoying Hijack as well..I am putting in NoScript and AdBlock to see if it solves this issue....PWI really needs to break their alliance with these Hijack ad companies >_>.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    We're looking into this right now, but no one here at the office so far has been able to reproduce the issue. I've forwarded this thread to our marketing department, but in the mean time, can you guys tell specifically which ad(s) is/are causing the problems? The more information we have, the more quickly we can solve this.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    We're looking into this right now, but no one here at the office so far has been able to reproduce the issue. I've forwarded this thread to our marketing department, but in the mean time, can you guys tell specifically which ad(s) is/are causing the problems? The more information we have, the more quickly we can solve this.

I'll see if I can find a program that determines the ad. Otehrwise, I'll at least get the exact addresses.

EDIT: After testing a bit with Adblock and Noscript I managed single out that the hijacking script is from

googleadservices.com

Adblocking this address or settingnoscript to disallow it, prevents the redirection.

Also, when the page gets redirected, the status bar reads as follows:

"transferring data from googleads.g.doubleclick.net..."

however, blocking the address above with adblock does not stop the redirection, instead, blocking
    googleadservices.com fixes the problem.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    doubleclick.net --- in general, with all its subdomains --- is one of those domains i've totally blacklisted ages ago, and never had any bad side-effects from refusing to talk to.

google ads, too, do no harm to ignore. (it's googleadservices.com, by the way.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yeah, caught my typo

Okay, after testing each address again with noscript, I still end up with only

googleadservices.com

www.googleadservices.com

https://www.googleadservices.com

(DO NOT CLICK THESE)

these are the only addresses that are causing the hijacking.

EDIT: Why the hell is my post auto-formatting the latter two addresses into url links?
  • Infernia - Harshlands
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yeah, caught my typo

Okay, after testing each address again with noscript, I still end up with only

googleadservices.com

www.googleadservices.com

https://www.googleadservices.com

DO NOT CLICK THESE

these are the only addresses that are causing the hijacking.

EDIT: Why the hell is my post auto-formatting the latter two addresses into url links?

www.anythinwilldoit.com

The www. bit does it.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I also want to point out, Frankie, that running the forums in IE9, with no sort of blocker programs, seems to not have this issue half the time. I am running Mozilla Firefox 3.6, by the way, and the program addons AdBlock or NoScript fix the issue.
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I just hate the Indian ( I guess) dudes images, holding a big fat check and thanking google for ' blessing him' with a crapload of money for a few hours of work -_-'' ... I don't like it because it's demeaning and judgemental .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nahvin - Archosaur
    Nahvin - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm having same issues. Are you using Firefox? Thats what I normally use....so decided to tryt Explorer, and seems to be ok for the moment.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The ad company believes it has found the culprit. Can you guys let me know if you're still experiencing this issue moving forward?
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I have the issue in firefox only, not in Chrome, not in Opera, not in Safari... though some of those lose other functions of the forums too

The ad company believes it has found the culprit. Can you guys let me know if you're still experiencing this issue moving forward?

As of the time between posting and editing 2 mins later, yes, still having the issue.

It doesn't seem to be a specific add, though it may have been tied to an original add causing the issue that applies to all the other adds. The ad page that it causes the redirect to, never loads, but seems to be using a significant amount of bandwidth trying to load. Don't have a specific page it's redirecting to, because it maintains the forum url as the url line. It maintains the following line: Transferring data from googleads.g.doubleclick.net... After leaving it on that page for 7 minutes, it appears about 30% complete while maintaining use of about 150k bandwidth... I'm not gonna let it complete...
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty